Genomes and Genes
transcription factor tfiiib
Summary: One of several general transcription factors that are specific for RNA POLYMERASE III. TFIIIB recruits and positions pol III over the initiation site and remains stably bound to the DNA through multiple rounds of re-initiation by RNA POLYMERASE III.
- Pluta K, Lefebvre O, Martin N, Smagowicz W, Stanford D, Ellis S, et al. Maf1p, a negative effector of RNA polymerase III in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5031-40 pubmed..These results indicate that Maf1p acts as a negative effector of Pol III synthesis. This potential regulator of Pol III transcription is likely conserved since orthologs of Maf1p are present in other eukaryotes, including humans. ..
- Gomez Roman N, Grandori C, Eisenman R, White R. Direct activation of RNA polymerase III transcription by c-Myc. Nature. 2003;421:290-4 pubmed..These results suggest that activation of pol III may have a role in the ability of c-Myc to stimulate cell growth. ..
- Parthasarthy A, Gopinathan K. Transcription of individual tRNA1Gly genes from within a multigene family is regulated by transcription factor TFIIIB. FEBS J. 2005;272:5191-205 pubmed..Here we demonstrate the interaction of transcription factor TFIIIB with these genes and its role in regulating differential transcriptions...
- Innes F, Ramsbottom B, White R. A test of the model that RNA polymerase III transcription is regulated by selective induction of the 110 kDa subunit of TFIIIC. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:3399-407 pubmed..However, little or no effect is seen on the expression of pol III transcripts. The data argue against the model that pol III transcription can be effectively modulated through the specific induction of TFIIIC110. ..
- Johnson S, Zhang C, Fromm J, Willis I, Johnson D. Mammalian Maf1 is a negative regulator of transcription by all three nuclear RNA polymerases. Mol Cell. 2007;26:367-79 pubmed..Together with the ability of Maf1 to reduce biosynthetic capacity, these findings support the idea that Maf1 regulates the transformation state of cells. ..
- Chaussivert N, Conesa C, Shaaban S, Sentenac A. Complex interactions between yeast TFIIIB and TFIIIC. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:15353-8 pubmed..We provide evidence that intramolecular interactions mask functional domains in both polypeptides. ..
- Zhang G, Lukoszek R, Mueller Roeber B, Ignatova Z. Different sequence signatures in the upstream regions of plant and animal tRNA genes shape distinct modes of regulation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:3331-9 pubmed publisher..The anticodon-dependent 5'-flanking motifs provide a possible mechanism for independent regulation of the tRNA transcription in various human tissues. ..
- Crighton D, Woiwode A, Zhang C, Mandavia N, Morton J, Warnock L, et al. p53 represses RNA polymerase III transcription by targeting TBP and inhibiting promoter occupancy by TFIIIB. EMBO J. 2003;22:2810-20 pubmed..Together our results support the idea that p53 represses RNA pol III transcription through direct interactions with TBP, preventing promoter occupancy by TFIIIB. ..
- Moqtaderi Z, Wang J, Raha D, White R, Snyder M, Weng Z, et al. Genomic binding profiles of functionally distinct RNA polymerase III transcription complexes in human cells. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:635-40 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that human Pol III complexes associate preferentially with regions near functional Pol II promoters and that TFIIIC-mediated recruitment of TFIIIB is regulated in a locus-specific manner. ..
- Lockwood W, Chari R, Coe B, Thu K, Garnis C, Malloff C, et al. Integrative genomic analyses identify BRF2 as a novel lineage-specific oncogene in lung squamous cell carcinoma. PLoS Med. 2010;7:e1000315 pubmed publisher..It can serve as a marker for lung SqCC and may provide a novel target for therapy. Please see later in the article for the Editors' Summary. ..
- Colbert T, Hahn S. A yeast TFIIB-related factor involved in RNA polymerase III transcription. Genes Dev. 1992;6:1940-9 pubmed..The identification of a Pol III-specific TFIIB-like factor extends the previously noted similarity of transcriptional initiation by the three nuclear polymerases. ..
- Kovelman R, Roeder R. Purification and characterization of two forms of human transcription factor IIIC. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:24446-56 pubmed
- Wang Z, Roeder R. Structure and function of a human transcription factor TFIIIB subunit that is evolutionarily conserved and contains both TFIIB- and high-mobility-group protein 2-related domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:7026-30 pubmedb>Transcription factor TFIIIB plays a central role in transcription initiation by RNA polymerase III on genes encoding tRNA, 5S rRNA, and other small structural RNAs...
- Mital R, Kobayashi R, Hernandez N. RNA polymerase III transcription from the human U6 and adenovirus type 2 VAI promoters has different requirements for human BRF, a subunit of human TFIIIB. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:7031-42 pubmed..38M-TFIIIB complex, and perhaps hBRF as well, is not required for U6 transcription. ..
- Andrau J, Sentenac A, Werner M. Mutagenesis of yeast TFIIIB70 reveals C-terminal residues critical for interaction with TBP and C34. J Mol Biol. 1999;288:511-20 pubmed..TFIIIC.DNA complexes and affected in vitro transcription of the SUP4 tRNA gene. Our results underscore the important role of region II of TFIIIB70 in pre-initiation as well as transcription complex assembly via C34 and TBP binding. ..
- Grove A, Galeone A, Yu E, Mayol L, Geiduschek E. Affinity, stability and polarity of binding of the TATA binding protein governed by flexure at the TATA Box. J Mol Biol. 1998;282:731-9 pubmed
- Leresche A, Wolf V, Gottesfeld J. Repression of RNA polymerase II and III transcription during M phase of the cell cycle. Exp Cell Res. 1996;229:282-8 pubmed..experiments indicate that repression of class III gene transcription is due to inactivation of the transcription factor TFIIIB. TFIIIB is composed of the TATA-box binding protein (TBP) and TBP-associated factors of 75 and 92 kDa...
- Braun B, Bartholomew B, Kassavetis G, Geiduschek E. Topography of transcription factor complexes on the Saccharomyces cerevisiae 5 S RNA gene. J Mol Biol. 1992;228:1063-77 pubmed..A 90 kDa component that was not previously recognized as an integral part of TFIIIC has been specifically located at the 3' end of the 5 S rRNA gene. ..
- Kassavetis G, Braun B, Nguyen L, Geiduschek E. S. cerevisiae TFIIIB is the transcription initiation factor proper of RNA polymerase III, while TFIIIA and TFIIIC are assembly factors. Cell. 1990;60:235-45 pubmedThe S. cerevisiae RNA polymerase III (pol III) transcription factor TFIIIB binds to DNA upstream of the transcription start site of the SUP4 tRNA(Tyr) gene in a TFIIIC-dependent reaction and to the major 5S rRNA gene in a reaction ..
- Cabarcas S, Jacob J, Veras I, Schramm L. Differential expression of the TFIIIB subunits Brf1 and Brf2 in cancer cells. BMC Mol Biol. 2008;9:74 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we reason that deregulation of Brf1 and Brf2 expression could be a key mechanism responsible for the observed deregulation of RNA pol III transcription in cancer cells. ..
- Goodfellow S, White R. Regulation of RNA polymerase III transcription during mammalian cell growth. Cell Cycle. 2007;6:2323-6 pubmed..achieved through the concerted action of various mechanisms that target the essential pol III-specific transcription factor TFIIIB. Positive regulators of growth, including ERK and c-Myc, directly bind and activate TFIIIB, thus ..
- Khoo B, Brophy B, Jackson S. Conserved functional domains of the RNA polymerase III general transcription factor BRF. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2879-90 pubmedIn Saccharomyces cerevisiae, two components of the RNA polymerase III (Pol III) general transcription factor TFIIIB are the TATA-binding protein (TBP) and the B-related factor (BRF), so called because its amino-terminal half is ..
- Scott P, Cairns C, Sutcliffe J, Alzuherri H, McLees A, Winter A, et al. Regulation of RNA polymerase III transcription during cell cycle entry. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:1005-14 pubmed..RB binds and represses the pol III-specific transcription factor TFIIIB during G(0) and early G(1), but this interaction decreases as cells approach S phase...
- Desai N, Lee J, Upadhya R, Chu Y, Moir R, Willis I. Two steps in Maf1-dependent repression of transcription by RNA polymerase III. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:6455-62 pubmed..The results suggest that Maf1 functions by a non-stoichiometric mechanism to repress pol III transcription. ..
- Ferri M, Peyroche G, Siaut M, Lefebvre O, Carles C, Conesa C, et al. A novel subunit of yeast RNA polymerase III interacts with the TFIIB-related domain of TFIIIB70. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:488-95 pubmed..The data indicate that C17 is a novel specific subunit of Pol III which participates together with C34 in the recruitment of Pol III by the preinitiation complex. ..
- Kassavetis G, Han S, Naji S, Geiduschek E. The role of transcription initiation factor IIIB subunits in promoter opening probed by photochemical cross-linking. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:17912-7 pubmed..In contrast, promoter opening-defective TFIIIB mutants generate significant changes of cross-linking of polymerase subunits. The weight of this evidence argues in favor of an indirect mode of action of TFIIIB in promoter opening. ..
- Athineos D, Marshall L, White R. Regulation of TFIIIB during F9 cell differentiation. BMC Mol Biol. 2010;11:21 pubmed publisher..These events provide fail-safe guarantees to ensure that pol III output is appropriate to the diminished metabolic requirements of terminally differentiated cells. ..
- Woiwode A, Johnson S, Zhong S, Zhang C, Roeder R, Teichmann M, et al. PTEN represses RNA polymerase III-dependent transcription by targeting the TFIIIB complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4204-14 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate a new class of genes regulated by PTEN through its ability to repress the activation of PI3K/Akt/mTOR/S6K signaling. ..
- Kenneth N, Ramsbottom B, Gomez Roman N, Marshall L, Cole P, White R. TRRAP and GCN5 are used by c-Myc to activate RNA polymerase III transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14917-22 pubmed..The selective acetylation of histone H3 distinguishes pol III activation by c-Myc from mechanisms observed in other systems. ..
- Veras I, Rosen E, Schramm L. Inhibition of RNA polymerase III transcription by BRCA1. J Mol Biol. 2009;387:523-31 pubmed publisher..Proper initiation by RNA pol III requires the transcription factor TFIIIB. Gene-external U6 snRNA transcription requires TFIIIB consisting of Bdp1, TBP, and Brf2...
- Huang Y, Maraia R. Comparison of the RNA polymerase III transcription machinery in Schizosaccharomyces pombe, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and human. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:2675-90 pubmed..The idea that the divergence in downstream TFIIIC subunits is associated with differences in pol III termination-related mechanisms that have been noted in the yeast and human systems but not reviewed previously is also considered. ..
- Kantidakis T, White R. Dr1 (NC2) is present at tRNA genes and represses their transcription in human cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:1228-39 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these data, we conclude that the physiological functions of human Dr1 include regulation of pol III transcription. ..
- Hsieh Y, Wang Z, Kovelman R, Roeder R. Cloning and characterization of two evolutionarily conserved subunits (TFIIIC102 and TFIIIC63) of human TFIIIC and their involvement in functional interactions with TFIIIB and RNA polymerase III. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:4944-52 pubmed
- Chesnokov I, Chu W, Botchan M, Schmid C. p53 inhibits RNA polymerase III-directed transcription in a promoter-dependent manner. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:7084-8 pubmed..These results extend p53's transcriptional role to RNA polymerase III-directed templates and identify an additional level of Alu transcriptional regulation. ..
- Grove A, Kassavetis G, Johnson T, Geiduschek E. The RNA polymerase III-recruiting factor TFIIIB induces a DNA bend between the TATA box and the transcriptional start site. J Mol Biol. 1999;285:1429-40 pubmed..We conclude that TFIIIB induces an additional DNA deformation between the TATA box and the start site of transcription that is likely to be more extended than the sharp kinks generated by TBP. ..
- Hu P, Samudre K, Wu S, Sun Y, Hernandez N. CK2 phosphorylation of Bdp1 executes cell cycle-specific RNA polymerase III transcription repression. Mol Cell. 2004;16:81-92 pubmed..Thus, CK2 is directed to phosphorylate different targets within the basal pol III transcription machinery at different times during the cell cycle, with opposite transcriptional effects. ..
- Takada S, Lis J, Zhou S, Tjian R. A TRF1:BRF complex directs Drosophila RNA polymerase III transcription. Cell. 2000;101:459-69 pubmed..These data suggest that in Drosophila, TRF1 rather than TBP forms a complex with BRF that plays a major role in RNA pol III transcription. ..
- Teichmann M, Wang Z, Roeder R. A stable complex of a novel transcription factor IIB- related factor, human TFIIIB50, and associated proteins mediate selective transcription by RNA polymerase III of genes with upstream promoter elements. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:14200-5 pubmed..Thus, higher eukaryotes, in contrast to the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, have evolved two distinct TFIIB-related factors that mediate promoter selectivity by RNA polymerase III. ..
- Kassavetis G, Joazeiro C, Pisano M, Geiduschek E, Colbert T, Hahn S, et al. The role of the TATA-binding protein in the assembly and function of the multisubunit yeast RNA polymerase III transcription factor, TFIIIB. Cell. 1992;71:1055-64 pubmed..Incorporation of the 90 kd B" protein into the transcription complex requires TBP. The heparin-resistant TFIIIB-DNA complex retains all three of its constituent proteins, TBP, BRF, and B". ..
- Kassavetis G, Nguyen S, Kobayashi R, Kumar A, Geiduschek E, Pisano M. Cloning, expression, and function of TFC5, the gene encoding the B" component of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae RNA polymerase III transcription factor TFIIIB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:9786-90 pubmed..A truncated form of B" lacking 39 N-terminal and 107 C-terminal amino acids is also functional for transcription. ..
- Chu W, Wang Z, Roeder R, Schmid C. RNA polymerase III transcription repressed by Rb through its interactions with TFIIIB and TFIIIC2. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:14755-61 pubmed..While Rb interacts with both factors, the A subdomain is more important than the B subdomain in directing Rb-mediated repression, and TFIIIB is the principal target of that activity. ..
- Cloutier T, Librizzi M, Mollah A, Brenowitz M, Willis I. Kinetic trapping of DNA by transcription factor IIIB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:9581-6 pubmed..The differential stability of these isoenergetic complexes demonstrates that TFIIIB90 binding energy is used to drive conformational changes and increase the barrier to complex dissociation. ..
- Kassavetis G, Geiduschek E. Transcription factor TFIIIB and transcription by RNA polymerase III. Biochem Soc Trans. 2006;34:1082-7 pubmed
- Werner M, Chaussivert N, Willis I, Sentenac A. Interaction between a complex of RNA polymerase III subunits and the 70-kDa component of transcription factor IIIB. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:20721-4 pubmed..We found that C82, C34, and C31 are able to combine with each other in vivo and that C34 interacts with TFIIIB70. These results suggest that C34 and TFIIIB70 are specificity determinants of the RNA polymerase III-TFIIIB interaction. ..
- Goodfellow S, Innes F, Derblay L, MacLellan W, Scott P, White R. Regulation of RNA polymerase III transcription during hypertrophic growth. EMBO J. 2006;25:1522-33 pubmed..transcription is achieved by changes in both the activity and level of the essential pol III-specific transcription factor TFIIIB. Erk and c-Myc, which directly activate TFIIIB in proliferating fibroblasts, also induce pol III ..
- Peng Z, Bateman E. Analysis of the 5S rRNA gene promoter from Acanthamoeba castellanii. Mol Microbiol. 2004;52:1123-32 pubmed
- Weser S, Gruber C, Hafner H, Teichmann M, Roeder R, Seifart K, et al. Transcription factor (TF)-like nuclear regulator, the 250-kDa form of Homo sapiens TFIIIB", is an essential component of human TFIIIC1 activity. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:27022-9 pubmed..These results suggest that HsBdp1 proteins represent essential components of TFIIIC1 and TFIIIC1-like activities. ..
- Meissner W, Thomae R, Seifart K. The activity of transcription factor IIIC1 is impaired during differentiation of F9 cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:7148-56 pubmed..The partial purification of pol III transcription factors from PE and EC cells revealed that TFIIIC2 activity could be purified from both cell types, whereas TFIIIC1 activity was dramatically reduced in extracts from PE cells. ..
- Hsieh Y, Kundu T, Wang Z, Kovelman R, Roeder R. The TFIIIC90 subunit of TFIIIC interacts with multiple components of the RNA polymerase III machinery and contains a histone-specific acetyltransferase activity. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7697-704 pubmed..We show that hTFIIIC90 has an intrinsic histone acetyltransferase activity with a substrate specificity for histone H3. ..
- Mauger E, Scott P. Mitogenic stimulation of transcription by RNA polymerase III. Biochem Soc Trans. 2004;32:976-7 pubmed..The transcription factor TFIIIB plays a key role in controlling pol III activity and is a target for regulation by a number of ..