Genomes and Genes
tfiii transcription factors
Summary: Factors that bind to RNA POLYMERASE III and aid in transcription. They include the assembly factors TFIIIA and TFIIIC and the initiation factor TFIIIB. All combine to form a preinitiation complex at the promotor that directs the binding of RNA POLYMERASE III.
- Wang Z, Roeder R. DNA topoisomerase I and PC4 can interact with human TFIIIC to promote both accurate termination and transcription reinitiation by RNA polymerase III. Mol Cell. 1998;1:749-57 pubmed..Novel functions for holo TFIIIC in transcription elongation and accurate termination events that could be important for efficient reinitiation are also described. ..
- Harismendy O, Gendrel C, Soularue P, Gidrol X, Sentenac A, Werner M, et al. Genome-wide location of yeast RNA polymerase III transcription machinery. EMBO J. 2003;22:4738-47 pubmed..This study fixes a reasonable upper bound to the number of class III genes in yeast and points to a global regulation at the level of Pol III and TFIIIB recruitment. ..
- Hoeffler W, Kovelman R, Roeder R. Activation of transcription factor IIIC by the adenovirus E1A protein. Cell. 1988;53:907-20 pubmed..The in vitro interconversion of the two forms of TFIIIC by phosphatase treatment suggests that transcriptional activation of RNA polymerase III genes can be mediated by phosphorylation of TFIIIC. ..
- Valenzuela L, Dhillon N, Kamakaka R. Transcription independent insulation at TFIIIC-dependent insulators. Genetics. 2009;183:131-48 pubmed publisher..This analysis identifies a minimal set of factors required for insulation. ..
- Roberts D, Stewart A, Huff J, Cairns B. The RNA polymerase III transcriptome revealed by genome-wide localization and activity-occupancy relationships. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:14695-700 pubmed..These studies reveal new aspects of the kinetics, dynamics, and targets of the Pol III system. ..
- Weser S, Gruber C, Hafner H, Teichmann M, Roeder R, Seifart K, et al. Transcription factor (TF)-like nuclear regulator, the 250-kDa form of Homo sapiens TFIIIB", is an essential component of human TFIIIC1 activity. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:27022-9 pubmed..These results suggest that HsBdp1 proteins represent essential components of TFIIIC1 and TFIIIC1-like activities. ..
- Moqtaderi Z, Struhl K. Genome-wide occupancy profile of the RNA polymerase III machinery in Saccharomyces cerevisiae reveals loci with incomplete transcription complexes. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4118-27 pubmed..Furthermore, the unusual profile of Pol III factor association with ZOD1 and the ETC loci is perfectly preserved in a different Saccharomyces species, indicating that these loci represent novel functional entities. ..
- Noma K, Cam H, Maraia R, Grewal S. A role for TFIIIC transcription factor complex in genome organization. Cell. 2006;125:859-72 pubmed..Our analyses uncover a general genome organization mechanism involving conserved TFIIIC complex. ..
- Dieci G, Giuliodori S, Catellani M, Percudani R, Ottonello S. Intragenic promoter adaptation and facilitated RNA polymerase III recycling in the transcription of SCR1, the 7SL RNA gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:6903-14 pubmed
- Rozenfeld S, Thuriaux P. Genetic interactions within TFIIIC, the promoter-binding factor of yeast RNA polymerase III. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;265:705-10 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a close functional interaction between the two largest subunits of TFIIIC and underscore the importance of the tetratricopeptide motif of tau131. ..
- Sabri N, Farrants A, Hellman U, Visa N. Evidence for a posttranscriptional role of a TFIIICalpha-like protein in Chironomus tentans. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1765-77 pubmed..The observations reported here suggest that this new TFIIIC-alpha-like protein is involved in posttranscriptional steps of premRNA metabolism in Chironomus tentans. ..
- L Etoile N, Fahnestock M, Shen Y, Aebersold R, Berk A. Human transcription factor IIIC box B binding subunit. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:1652-6 pubmed..The human protein shows surprisingly little similarity to the box B binding subunit of yeast TFIIIC. ..
- Lagna G, Kovelman R, Sukegawa J, Roeder R. Cloning and characterization of an evolutionarily divergent DNA-binding subunit of mammalian TFIIIC. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:3053-64 pubmed..Immunoprecipitation experiments demonstrate a tight association of all five polypeptides previously identified in the TFIIIC2 fraction, confirming the multisubunit structure of the human factor. ..
- D Ambrosio C, Schmidt C, Katou Y, Kelly G, Itoh T, Shirahige K, et al. Identification of cis-acting sites for condensin loading onto budding yeast chromosomes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2215-27 pubmed publisher..This reveals that TFIIIC-binding sites, including tRNA genes, constitute a hitherto unknown chromosomal feature with important implications for chromosome architecture during both interphase and mitosis...
- Hsieh Y, Kundu T, Wang Z, Kovelman R, Roeder R. The TFIIIC90 subunit of TFIIIC interacts with multiple components of the RNA polymerase III machinery and contains a histone-specific acetyltransferase activity. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7697-704 pubmed..We show that hTFIIIC90 has an intrinsic histone acetyltransferase activity with a substrate specificity for histone H3. ..
- Crighton D, Woiwode A, Zhang C, Mandavia N, Morton J, Warnock L, et al. p53 represses RNA polymerase III transcription by targeting TBP and inhibiting promoter occupancy by TFIIIB. EMBO J. 2003;22:2810-20 pubmed..Together our results support the idea that p53 represses RNA pol III transcription through direct interactions with TBP, preventing promoter occupancy by TFIIIB. ..
- Wallrath L, Geyer P. TFIIIC boxes in the genome. Cell. 2006;125:829-31 pubmed..Global analysis of TFIIIC distribution revealed dispersed sites of association that coalesce at the nuclear periphery, suggesting that TFIIIC may act as a barrier throughout the genome. ..
- Jang K, Collins M, Latchman D. The human immunodeficiency virus tat protein increases the transcription of human Alu repeated sequences by increasing the activity of the cellular transcription factor TFIIIC. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1992;5:1142-7 pubmed..The significance of this effect for the life cycle of HIV and its interaction with infected cells is discussed. ..
- Ellsworth D, Finnen R, Flint S. Superimposed promoter sequences of the adenoviral E2 early RNA polymerase III and RNA polymerase II transcription units. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:827-34 pubmed..The alterations in transcription induced by certain mutations suggest that components of the RNA polymerase II and RNA polymerase III transcriptional machines compete for access to overlapping binding sites in the E2E template. ..
- Marsolier M, Prioleau M, Sentenac A. A RNA polymerase III-based two-hybrid system to study RNA polymerase II transcriptional regulators. J Mol Biol. 1997;268:243-9 pubmed..This result indicates that this two-hybrid system can be used to assess the interactions between RNA polymerase II regulatory proteins and their partners. ..
- Sjölinder M, Bjork P, Söderberg E, Sabri N, Farrants A, Visa N. The growing pre-mRNA recruits actin and chromatin-modifying factors to transcriptionally active genes. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1871-84 pubmed..Our results suggest that actin, hrp65, and p2D10 are parts of a positive feedback mechanism that contributes to maintaining the active transcription state of a gene by recruiting HATs at the RNA level. ..
- Parthasarthy A, Gopinathan K. Transcription of individual tRNA1Gly genes from within a multigene family is regulated by transcription factor TFIIIB. FEBS J. 2005;272:5191-205 pubmed..Availability of the transcription factor TFIIIB in excess could serve as a general mechanism to initiate transcription from all the individual members of the gene family as per the developmental needs within the tissue. ..
- Moir R, Puglia K, Willis I. A gain-of-function mutation in the second tetratricopeptide repeat of TFIIIC131 relieves autoinhibition of Brf1 binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6131-41 pubmed
- Meissner W, Rothfels H, Schafer B, Seifart K. Development of an inducible pol III transcription system essentially requiring a mutated form of the TATA-binding protein. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:1672-82 pubmed..This system may conceptually be used in the future to inducibly express an arbitrary DNA sequence in vivo under the control of the above mentioned promoter. ..
- Lu D, Klug A. Invariance of the zinc finger module: a comparison of the free structure with those in nucleic-acid complexes. Proteins. 2007;67:508-12 pubmed
- Ferrari R, Dieci G. The transcription reinitiation properties of RNA polymerase III in the absence of transcription factors. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2008;13:112-8 pubmed..The data indicates that, in the absence of transcription factors, first-round transcription initiation by Pol III proceeds at a normal rate, while facilitated reinitiation during subsequent cycles is compromised. ..
- Chaussivert N, Conesa C, Shaaban S, Sentenac A. Complex interactions between yeast TFIIIB and TFIIIC. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:15353-8 pubmed..We provide evidence that intramolecular interactions mask functional domains in both polypeptides. ..
- Parsons M, Weil P. Cloning of TFC1, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene encoding the 95-kDa subunit of transcription factor TFIIIC. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:2894-901 pubmed..Last, the sizes of the cleavage products of the Escherichia coli-expressed protein were indistinguishable from those of the cleavage products of the bona fide yeast 95-kDa protein. ..
- Pluta K, Lefebvre O, Martin N, Smagowicz W, Stanford D, Ellis S, et al. Maf1p, a negative effector of RNA polymerase III in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5031-40 pubmed..These results indicate that Maf1p acts as a negative effector of Pol III synthesis. This potential regulator of Pol III transcription is likely conserved since orthologs of Maf1p are present in other eukaryotes, including humans. ..
- Kruppa M, Moir R, Kolodrubetz D, Willis I. Nhp6, an HMG1 protein, functions in SNR6 transcription by RNA polymerase III in S. cerevisiae. Mol Cell. 2001;7:309-18 pubmed..Nhp6A protein specifically enhanced TFIIIC-dependent, but not TATA box-dependent, SNR6 transcription in vitro by facilitating TFIIIC binding to the SNR6 promoter. Thus, Nhp6 has a direct role in transcription complex assembly at SNR6. ..
- Matsutani S. Similarities in transcription factor IIIC subunits that bind to the posterior regions of internal promoters for RNA polymerase III. BMC Evol Biol. 2004;4:26 pubmed..Interestingly, the results obtained in this study show that, with respect to the B-block binding subunits of TFIIICs, animals appear to be evolutionarily closer to plants than to fungi. ..
- Moir R, Puglia K, Willis I. Interactions between the tetratricopeptide repeat-containing transcription factor TFIIIC131 and its ligand, TFIIIB70. Evidence for a conformational change in the complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:26591-8 pubmed..A more modest monovalent ion-dependent CD difference was observed in mixtures of TFIIIC131-(1-580) and TFIIIB70, suggesting that formation of the binary complex may proceed with the acquisition of alpha-helicity. ..
- Huet J, Conesa C, Carles C, Sentenac A. A cryptic DNA binding domain at the COOH terminus of TFIIIB70 affects formation, stability, and function of preinitiation complexes. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:18341-9 pubmed..B' (TFIIIB70 + TBP).TFIIIC.DNA complexes were also particularly unstable. In addition, TFIIIB.TFIIIC.DNA complexes containing truncated TFIIIB70 were impaired in promoting transcription initiation. ..
- Ishiguro A, Kassavetis G. A gene-specific effect of an internal deletion in the Bdp1 subunit of the RNA polymerase III transcription initiation factor TFIIIB. FEBS Lett. 2003;548:33-6 pubmed..It is shown that TFIIIC-dependent assembly of TFIIIB on the RPR1 promoter is specifically sensitive to this Bdp1 deletion, leading to gene-specifically defective single-round and multiple-round transcription. ..
- Martin M, Gerlach V, Brow D. A novel upstream RNA polymerase III promoter element becomes essential when the chromatin structure of the yeast U6 RNA gene is altered. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6429-39 pubmed..We conclude that the (dT-dA)(7) tract and Nhp6 cooperate to direct productive transcription complex assembly on SNR6 in vivo. ..
- Moqtaderi Z, Wang J, Raha D, White R, Snyder M, Weng Z, et al. Genomic binding profiles of functionally distinct RNA polymerase III transcription complexes in human cells. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:635-40 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that human Pol III complexes associate preferentially with regions near functional Pol II promoters and that TFIIIC-mediated recruitment of TFIIIB is regulated in a locus-specific manner. ..
- Liao Y, Willis I, Moir R. The Brf1 and Bdp1 subunits of transcription factor TFIIIB bind to overlapping sites in the tetratricopeptide repeats of Tfc4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:44467-74 pubmed..The properties of the L469K mutation identify both Brf1 and Bdp1 as ligands for the second TPR array. ..
- Shivaswamy S, Bhargava P. Positioned nucleosomes due to sequential remodeling of the yeast U6 small nuclear RNA chromatin are essential for its transcriptional activation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:10461-72 pubmed..This two-step remodeling mechanism using the basal factors of the gene yields high transcription levels and generates a chromatin structure similar to that reported for the gene in vivo. ..
- Datta S, Soong C, Wang D, Harter M. A purified adenovirus 289-amino-acid E1A protein activates RNA polymerase III transcription in vitro and alters transcription factor TFIIIC. J Virol. 1991;65:5297-304 pubmed..These results clearly establish that E1A mediates its effect on VA1 transcription through TFIIIC in a very rapid yet indirect manner.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Purrello M, Di Pietro C, Rapisarda A, Amico V, Giunta V, Engel H, et al. Genes for human general transcription initiation factors TFIIIB, TFIIIB-associated proteins, TFIIIC2 and PTF/SNAPC: functional and positional candidates for tumour predisposition or inherited genetic diseases?. Oncogene. 2001;20:4877-83 pubmed..Their molecular function and genomic position make these GTF genes interesting candidates for causal involvement in oncogenesis or in the pathogenesis of inherited genetic diseases. ..
- Chu W, Wang Z, Roeder R, Schmid C. RNA polymerase III transcription repressed by Rb through its interactions with TFIIIB and TFIIIC2. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:14755-61 pubmed..While Rb interacts with both factors, the A subdomain is more important than the B subdomain in directing Rb-mediated repression, and TFIIIB is the principal target of that activity. ..
- Matsutani S. Possible presence and role of the promoter sequence for eukaryotic RNA polymerase III in bacteria. Genetica. 2007;131:127-34 pubmed..Prokaryotes and eukaryotes have been thought to have inherent transcription machineries. The results shown here, however, suggest a new aspect of the evolution of the RNAP III transcription machinery. ..
- Moir R, Puglia K, Willis I. Autoinhibition of TFIIIB70 binding by the tetratricopeptide repeat-containing subunit of TFIIIC. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:694-701 pubmed..The results demonstrate that the TFIIIB70 binding sites in TFIIIC131 are subject to autoinhibition. We propose that the binding of TFIIIB70 to these sites within the TFIIIC complex may proceed in an ordered fashion. ..
- Aye M, Dildine S, Claypool J, Jourdain S, Sandmeyer S. A truncation mutant of the 95-kilodalton subunit of transcription factor IIIC reveals asymmetry in Ty3 integration. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7839-51 pubmed..The orientation bias observed here suggests that even for wild-type Ty3, the protein complexes associated with the long terminal repeats are not equivalent in vivo. ..
- Felton Edkins Z, Kondrashov A, Karali D, Fairley J, Dawson C, Arrand J, et al. Epstein-Barr virus induces cellular transcription factors to allow active expression of EBER genes by RNA polymerase III. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:33871-80 pubmed..The elevated levels of BDP1 and TFIIIC in EBV-positive cells stimulate production of tRNA, 7SL, and 5S rRNA. Abnormally high expression of these cellular pol III products may contribute to the ability of EBV to enhance growth potential. ..
- Kantidakis T, Ramsbottom B, Birch J, Dowding S, White R. mTOR associates with TFIIIC, is found at tRNA and 5S rRNA genes, and targets their repressor Maf1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11823-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that mTOR associates with TFIIIC, is recruited to pol III-transcribed genes, and relieves their repression by Maf1. ..
- Kassavetis G, Geiduschek E. Transcription factor TFIIIB and transcription by RNA polymerase III. Biochem Soc Trans. 2006;34:1082-7 pubmed
- Ducrot C, Lefebvre O, Landrieux E, Guirouilh Barbat J, Sentenac A, Acker J. Reconstitution of the yeast RNA polymerase III transcription system with all recombinant factors. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:11685-92 pubmed
- Roeder R. Lasker Basic Medical Research Award. The eukaryotic transcriptional machinery: complexities and mechanisms unforeseen. Nat Med. 2003;9:1239-44 pubmed
- Meissner W, Thomae R, Seifart K. The activity of transcription factor IIIC1 is impaired during differentiation of F9 cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:7148-56 pubmed..The partial purification of pol III transcription factors from PE and EC cells revealed that TFIIIC2 activity could be purified from both cell types, whereas TFIIIC1 activity was dramatically reduced in extracts from PE cells. ..
- Mylona A, Acker J, Fernández Tornero C, Sentenac A, Müller C. Expression, proteolytic analysis, reconstitution, and crystallization of the tau60/tau91 subcomplex of yeast TFIIIC. Protein Expr Purif. 2006;45:255-61 pubmed..Crystals diffracting beyond 3.2 A were obtained from a complex formed by full-length tau60 and the N-terminally truncated form of tau91 lacking this extension. ..
- Mauger E, Scott P. Mitogenic stimulation of transcription by RNA polymerase III. Biochem Soc Trans. 2004;32:976-7 pubmed..This review will focus on how TFIIIB is targeted by these proteins in response to mitogen stimulation. ..