Genomes and Genes
tata binding protein associated factors
Summary: Factors that associate with TATA-BOX BINDING PROTEIN. Many of them are components of TRANSCRIPTION FACTOR TFIID
- Auble D, Wang D, Post K, Hahn S. Molecular analysis of the SNF2/SWI2 protein family member MOT1, an ATP-driven enzyme that dissociates TATA-binding protein from DNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:4842-51 pubmed..These results provide a general framework for understanding how members of the SNF2/SWI2 protein family use ATP to modulate protein-DNA interactions to regulate many diverse processes in cells. ..
- Geisberg J, Moqtaderi Z, Kuras L, Struhl K. Mot1 associates with transcriptionally active promoters and inhibits association of NC2 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8122-34 pubmed..We speculate that Mot1 does not form transcriptionally active TBP complexes but rather regulates transcription in vivo by modulating the activity of free TBP and/or by affecting promoter DNA structure. ..
- Werten S, Mitschler A, Romier C, Gangloff Y, Thuault S, Davidson I, et al. Crystal structure of a subcomplex of human transcription factor TFIID formed by TATA binding protein-associated factors hTAF4 (hTAF(II)135) and hTAF12 (hTAF(II)20). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45502-9 pubmed
- Kuroda M, Sok J, Webb L, Baechtold H, Urano F, Yin Y, et al. Male sterility and enhanced radiation sensitivity in TLS(-/-) mice. EMBO J. 2000;19:453-62 pubmed..These results are consistent with a role for TLS in homologous DNA pairing and recombination. ..
- McCulloch V, Hardin P, Peng W, Ruppert J, Lobo Ruppert S. Alternatively spliced hBRF variants function at different RNA polymerase III promoters. EMBO J. 2000;19:4134-43 pubmed..Thus, pol III utilizes different TFIIIB complexes at structurally distinct promoters. ..
- Shao H, Revach M, Moshonov S, Tzuman Y, Gazit K, Albeck S, et al. Core promoter binding by histone-like TAF complexes. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:206-19 pubmed..Furthermore, HFD-mediated interaction stimulated sequence-specific binding by TAF6 and TAF9. These results suggest that TAF HFDs merge with other conserved domains for efficient and specific core promoter binding. ..
- Chicca J, Auble D, Pugh B. Cloning and biochemical characterization of TAF-172, a human homolog of yeast Mot1. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1701-10 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest that human TAF-172 is the functional homolog of yeast Mot1 and uses the energy of ATP hydrolysis to remove TBP (but apparently not TBP-TAF complexes) from DNA. ..
- Mohibullah N, Hahn S. Site-specific cross-linking of TBP in vivo and in vitro reveals a direct functional interaction with the SAGA subunit Spt3. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2994-3006 pubmed publisher..Our cross-linking data also significantly extend the known surfaces of TBP that directly interact with the transcriptional regulator Mot1 and the general transcription factor TFIIA. ..
- Darst R, Dasgupta A, Zhu C, Hsu J, Vroom A, Muldrow T, et al. Mot1 regulates the DNA binding activity of free TATA-binding protein in an ATP-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:13216-26 pubmed..A model for Mot1 action is proposed in which ATP hydrolysis causes the Mot1 N terminus to displace the TATA box, leading to ejection of Mot1 and TBP from DNA. ..
- Pereira L, van der Knaap J, Van Den Boom V, van den Heuvel F, Timmers H. TAF(II)170 interacts with the concave surface of TATA-binding protein to inhibit its DNA binding activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7523-34 pubmed..Collectively, our results support a mechanism in which TAF(II)170 induces high-mobility DNA binding by TBP through reversible interactions with its concave DNA binding surface. ..
- Adamkewicz J, Hansen K, Prud homme W, Davis J, Thorner J. High affinity interaction of yeast transcriptional regulator, Mot1, with TATA box-binding protein (TBP). J Biol Chem. 2001;276:11883-94 pubmed..Native Mot1 and derivatives deleterious to growth localized in the nucleus, whereas nontoxic derivatives localized to the cytosol, suggesting TBP binding and nuclear transport of Mot1 are coupled. ..
- Farmer G, Colgan J, Nakatani Y, Manley J, Prives C. Functional interaction between p53, the TATA-binding protein (TBP), andTBP-associated factors in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:4295-304 pubmed..These data demonstrate for the first time that functional interactions can occur in vivo between TBP, TAFs, and p53. ..
- Pham A, Sauer F. Ubiquitin-activating/conjugating activity of TAFII250, a mediator of activation of gene expression in Drosophila. Science. 2000;289:2357-60 pubmed..Thus, coactivator-mediated ubiquitination of proteins within the transactivation pathway may contribute to the processes directing activation of eukaryotic transcription. ..
- Cang Y, Auble D, Prelich G. A new regulatory domain on the TATA-binding protein. EMBO J. 1999;18:6662-71 pubmed..These results provide strong biochemical and genetic evidence that TBP is directly repressed in vivo, and define a new TBP domain important for transcriptional regulation. ..
- Kokubo T, Swanson M, Nishikawa J, Hinnebusch A, Nakatani Y. The yeast TAF145 inhibitory domain and TFIIA competitively bind to TATA-binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1003-12 pubmed..Importantly, this phenotype is suppressed by overexpression of the TFIIA subunits, indicating that the yTAF145 inhibitory domain is involved in TFIIA function. ..
- Chen Z, Manley J. In vivo functional analysis of the histone 3-like TAF9 and a TAF9-related factor, TAF9L. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:35172-83 pubmed..Strikingly, we provide evidence that TAF9L plays a role in transcriptional repression and/or silencing. ..
- Sharma V, Li B, Reese J. SWI/SNF-dependent chromatin remodeling of RNR3 requires TAF(II)s and the general transcription machinery. Genes Dev. 2003;17:502-15 pubmed..Thus, the general transcription machinery can contribute to nucleosome remodeling by mediating the association of SWI/SNF with promoters, thereby revealing a novel pathway for the recruitment of chromatin remodeling activities. ..
- Bertolotti A, Lutz Y, Heard D, Chambon P, Tora L. hTAF(II)68, a novel RNA/ssDNA-binding protein with homology to the pro-oncoproteins TLS/FUS and EWS is associated with both TFIID and RNA polymerase II. EMBO J. 1996;15:5022-31 pubmed..Moreover, we demonstrate that hTAF(II)68 co-purifies also with the human RNA polymerase II and can enter the preinitiation complex together with Pol II. ..
- Adamkewicz J, Mueller C, Hansen K, Prud homme W, Thorner J. Purification and enzymic properties of Mot1 ATPase, a regulator of basal transcription in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:21158-68 pubmed..Thus, Mot1 most likely promotes release of TBP from TATA-containing DNA by causing a structural change in TBP itself, rather than by strand unwinding. ..
- Helmlinger D, Hardy S, Sasorith S, Klein F, Robert F, Weber C, et al. Ataxin-7 is a subunit of GCN5 histone acetyltransferase-containing complexes. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:1257-65 pubmed..We demonstrate here that ataxin-7 is the human orthologue of the yeast SAGA SGF73 subunit and is a bona fide subunit of the human TFTC-like transcriptional complexes. ..
- Wang W, Nahta R, Huper G, Marks J. TAFII70 isoform-specific growth suppression correlates with its ability to complex with the GADD45a protein. Mol Cancer Res. 2004;2:442-52 pubmed..GADD45a null cells are not subject to TAFII70 inhibition, further supporting the relevance of this interaction. ..
- Crighton D, Woiwode A, Zhang C, Mandavia N, Morton J, Warnock L, et al. p53 represses RNA polymerase III transcription by targeting TBP and inhibiting promoter occupancy by TFIIIB. EMBO J. 2003;22:2810-20 pubmed..Together our results support the idea that p53 represses RNA pol III transcription through direct interactions with TBP, preventing promoter occupancy by TFIIIB. ..
- Wieczorek E, Brand M, Jacq X, Tora L. Function of TAF(II)-containing complex without TBP in transcription by RNA polymerase II. Nature. 1998;393:187-91 pubmed..These results indicate that TBP-free RNA polymerase II mediated transcription may be able to occur in mammalian cells and that multiple preinitiation complexes may play an important role in regulating gene expression. ..
- Li X, Virbasius A, Zhu X, Green M. Enhancement of TBP binding by activators and general transcription factors. Nature. 1999;399:605-9 pubmed
- Saxena A, Ma B, Schramm L, Hernandez N. Structure-function analysis of the human TFIIB-related factor II protein reveals an essential role for the C-terminal domain in RNA polymerase III transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9406-18 pubmed..This in turn suggests that the C-terminal extensions in Brf1 and Brf2 are crucial to specific recruitment of Pol III over Pol II. ..
- Johnson S, Zhang C, Fromm J, Willis I, Johnson D. Mammalian Maf1 is a negative regulator of transcription by all three nuclear RNA polymerases. Mol Cell. 2007;26:367-79 pubmed..Together with the ability of Maf1 to reduce biosynthetic capacity, these findings support the idea that Maf1 regulates the transformation state of cells. ..
- Robinson M, Yatherajam G, Ranallo R, Bric A, Paule M, Stargell L. Mapping and functional characterization of the TAF11 interaction with TFIIA. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:945-57 pubmed..Taken together, these studies provide essential information regarding the molecular organization of the TAF11-TFIIA interaction and define a mechanistic role for this association in the regulation of gene expression in vivo. ..
- Klejman M, Pereira L, van Zeeburg H, Gilfillan S, Meisterernst M, Timmers H. NC2alpha interacts with BTAF1 and stimulates its ATP-dependent association with TATA-binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10072-82 pubmed..Together, our results constitute the first evidence of the physical cooperation between BTAF1 and NC2alpha in TBP regulation and provide a framework to understand transcription functions of NC2alpha and NC2beta in vivo. ..
- Govind C, Yoon S, Qiu H, Govind S, Hinnebusch A. Simultaneous recruitment of coactivators by Gcn4p stimulates multiple steps of transcription in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5626-38 pubmed..Our findings reveal a program of coactivator recruitment and PIC assembly that distinguishes Gcn4p from other yeast activators studied thus far. ..
- Gegonne A, Weissman J, Zhou M, Brady J, Singer D. TAF7: a possible transcription initiation check-point regulator. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:602-7 pubmed..We propose that the TFIID composition is dynamic and that TAF7 functions as a check-point regulator suppressing premature transcription initiation until PIC assembly is complete. ..
- Irvin J, Pugh B. Genome-wide transcriptional dependence on TAF1 functional domains. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:6404-12 pubmed
- Lee H, Kim S, Pelletier J, Kim J. Stimulation of hTAFII68 (NTD)-mediated transactivation by v-Src. FEBS Lett. 2004;564:188-98 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that the biological activities of hTAF(II)68 are linked to the cytoplasmic Src signal transduction pathway. ..
- Chalkley G, Verrijzer C. DNA binding site selection by RNA polymerase II TAFs: a TAF(II)250-TAF(II)150 complex recognizes the initiator. EMBO J. 1999;18:4835-45 pubmed..Taken together, our results establish that TAF(II)250 and TAF(II)150 bind the Inr directly and that Inr recognition can determine the responsiveness of a promoter to an activator. ..
- Tsukihashi Y, Miyake T, Kawaichi M, Kokubo T. Impaired core promoter recognition caused by novel yeast TAF145 mutations can be restored by creating a canonical TATA element within the promoter region of the TUB2 gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2385-99 pubmed..It therefore appears that strong binding of TBP to the core promoter can alleviate the requirement for at least one yTAF145 function. ..
- Teichmann M, Wang Z, Roeder R. A stable complex of a novel transcription factor IIB- related factor, human TFIIIB50, and associated proteins mediate selective transcription by RNA polymerase III of genes with upstream promoter elements. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:14200-5 pubmed..Thus, higher eukaryotes, in contrast to the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, have evolved two distinct TFIIB-related factors that mediate promoter selectivity by RNA polymerase III. ..
- Selleck W, Howley R, Fang Q, Podolny V, Fried M, Buratowski S, et al. A histone fold TAF octamer within the yeast TFIID transcriptional coactivator. Nat Struct Biol. 2001;8:695-700 pubmed..Our results indicate that the TAF octamer is similar both in stoichiometry and histone fold interactions to the histone octamer component of chromatin. ..
- Gill G. Death signals changes in TFIID. Mol Cell. 2001;8:482-4 pubmed..The finding that extracellular signals can lead to changes in the subunit composition of TFIID provides an example of how regulated activity of the general transcription factors may contribute to inducible programs of gene expression. ..
- Dasgupta A, Darst R, Martin K, Afshari C, Auble D. Mot1 activates and represses transcription by direct, ATPase-dependent mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2666-71 pubmed..The gene sets controlled by NC2 and Srb10 are strongly correlated with the Mot1-controlled set, suggesting that these factors cooperate in transcriptional control on a global scale. ..
- Kirschner D, vom Baur E, Thibault C, Sanders S, Gangloff Y, Davidson I, et al. Distinct mutations in yeast TAF(II)25 differentially affect the composition of TFIID and SAGA complexes as well as global gene expression patterns. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3178-93 pubmed..Thus, different yTAF(II)25 mutations induce distinct phenotypes and affect the regulation of different subsets of genes, demonstrating that no individual TAF(II) mutant allele reflects the full range of its normal functions. ..
- Kotani T, Miyake T, Tsukihashi Y, Hinnebusch A, Nakatani Y, Kawaichi M, et al. Identification of highly conserved amino-terminal segments of dTAFII230 and yTAFII145 that are functionally interchangeable for inhibiting TBP-DNA interactions in vitro and in promoting yeast cell growth in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32254-64 pubmed
- Morohoshi F, Ootsuka Y, Arai K, Ichikawa H, Mitani S, Munakata N, et al. Genomic structure of the human RBP56/hTAFII68 and FUS/TLS genes. Gene. 1998;221:191-8 pubmed
- Gumbs O, Campbell A, Weil P. High-affinity DNA binding by a Mot1p-TBP complex: implications for TAF-independent transcription. EMBO J. 2003;22:3131-41 pubmed..We propose that this altered TBP-DNA recognition is integral to Mot1p's ability to regulate transcription, and further postulate that the Mot1p-TBP complex delivers TBP to TAF-independent mRNA encoding genes. ..
- Liu D, Ishima R, Tong K, Bagby S, Kokubo T, Muhandiram D, et al. Solution structure of a TBP-TAF(II)230 complex: protein mimicry of the minor groove surface of the TATA box unwound by TBP. Cell. 1998;94:573-83 pubmed..This protein mimicry of the TATA element surface provides the structural basis of the mechanism by which dTAF(II)230 negatively controls the TATA box-binding activity within the TFIID complex. ..
- Bertolotti A, Melot T, Acker J, Vigneron M, Delattre O, Tora L. EWS, but not EWS-FLI-1, is associated with both TFIID and RNA polymerase II: interactions between two members of the TET family, EWS and hTAFII68, and subunits of TFIID and RNA polymerase II complexes. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1489-97 pubmed..These observations suggest that EWS and EWS-FLI-1 may play different roles in Pol II transcription. ..
- Takahata S, Kasahara K, Kawaichi M, Kokubo T. Autonomous function of the amino-terminal inhibitory domain of TAF1 in transcriptional regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3089-99 pubmed..These results indicate that there is no or minimal geometric constraint on the ability of the TAND to function normally in transcriptional regulation as long as TFIID assembly is secured. ..
- Bell B, Scheer E, Tora L. Identification of hTAF(II)80 delta links apoptotic signaling pathways to transcription factor TFIID function. Mol Cell. 2001;8:591-600 pubmed..These data define a signaling pathway that couples apoptotic signals to a reprogramming of RNA polymerase II transcription. ..
- Durant M, Pugh B. Genome-wide relationships between TAF1 and histone acetyltransferases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2791-802 pubmed..TAF1 function has been linked to Bdf1, which binds TFIID and acetylated histone H4 tails, but no linkage between TAF1 and the H4 HAT Esa1 has been established. Here, we present evidence for such a linkage through Bdf1. ..
- Law W, Cann K, Hicks G. TLS, EWS and TAF15: a model for transcriptional integration of gene expression. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic. 2006;5:8-14 pubmed
- Geisberg J, Struhl K. Cellular stress alters the transcriptional properties of promoter-bound Mot1-TBP complexes. Mol Cell. 2004;14:479-89 pubmed..This suggests that functional preinitiation complexes can contain Mot1 instead of TFIIA in vivo. Thus, Mot1-TBP complexes can exist in active and inactive forms that are regulated by environmental stress. ..
- Guipaud O, Guillonneau F, Labas V, Praseuth D, Rossier J, Lopez B, et al. An in vitro enzymatic assay coupled to proteomics analysis reveals a new DNA processing activity for Ewing sarcoma and TAF(II)68 proteins. Proteomics. 2006;6:5962-72 pubmed..This common activity suggests a role for TET proteins and PSF in genome plasticity control. ..
- Demény M, Soutoglou E, Nagy Z, Scheer E, Janoshazi A, Richardot M, et al. Identification of a small TAF complex and its role in the assembly of TAF-containing complexes. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e316 pubmed
- van Werven F, van Bakel H, van Teeffelen H, Altelaar A, Koerkamp M, Heck A, et al. Cooperative action of NC2 and Mot1p to regulate TATA-binding protein function across the genome. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2359-69 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we propose that NC2 and Mot1p cooperate to dynamically restrict TBP activity on transcribed promoters. ..
- O BRIEN T, Tjian R. Functional analysis of the human TAFII250 N-terminal kinase domain. Mol Cell. 1998;1:905-11 pubmed..Our results suggest that the TAFII250 kinase activity is required to direct transcription of at least some genes in vivo. ..