Genomes and Genes
large maf transcription factors
Summary: A family of high molecular weight Maf transcription factors that contain distinct activation domains.
- Lazo de la Vega Monroy M, Fernandez Mejia C. [Transcription factors in the adult beta cell]. Rev Invest Clin. 2009;61:428-46 pubmed..The study of transcription factors is crucial for understanding the normal function of the beta cell, essential knowledge in developing new strategies for fighting diabetes. ..
- Nishimura W, Bonner Weir S, Sharma A. Expression of MafA in pancreatic progenitors is detrimental for pancreatic development. Dev Biol. 2009;333:108-20 pubmed publisher..These findings imply that MafA should be used to enhance maturation, rather than specification, of beta-cells from stem/progenitor cells. ..
- Noso S, Kataoka K, Kawabata Y, Babaya N, Hiromine Y, Yamaji K, et al. Insulin transactivator MafA regulates intrathymic expression of insulin and affects susceptibility to type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 2010;59:2579-87 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that functional polymorphisms of MafA are associated with reduced expression of insulin in the thymus and susceptibility to type 1 diabetes in the NOD mouse as well as human type 1 diabetes. ..
- Raum J, Hunter C, Artner I, Henderson E, Guo M, Elghazi L, et al. Islet beta-cell-specific MafA transcription requires the 5'-flanking conserved region 3 control domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4234-44 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the nature of the cis- and trans-acting factors controlling the beta-cell-specific expression of MafA. ..
- Matsuoka T, Kaneto H, Miyatsuka T, Yamamoto T, Yamamoto K, Kato K, et al. Regulation of MafA expression in pancreatic beta-cells in db/db mice with diabetes. Diabetes. 2010;59:1709-20 pubmed publisher..It is likely that the augmented expression of c-Jun in diabetic islets decreases MafA expression and thereby reduces insulin biosynthesis, which is often observed in type 2 diabetes. ..
- Lecoin L, Rocques N, El Yakoubi W, Ben Achour S, Larcher M, Pouponnot C, et al. MafA transcription factor identifies the early ret-expressing sensory neurons. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:485-97 pubmed publisher..This marker will allow further functional characterization of these neurons. ..
- Guo S, Vanderford N, Stein R. Phosphorylation within the MafA N terminus regulates C-terminal dimerization and DNA binding. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:12655-61 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a novel relationship between the phosphoamino acid-rich transactivation and b-Zip domains in controlling MafA DNA-binding activity. ..
- Shimohata H, Yoh K, Fujita A, Morito N, Ojima M, Tanaka H, et al. MafA-deficient and beta cell-specific MafK-overexpressing hybrid transgenic mice develop human-like severe diabetic nephropathy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;389:235-40 pubmed publisher..MafA(-/-)MafK(+) mice might be a useful model for the analysis of human diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Kaneto H, Matsuoka T, Katakami N, Matsuhisa M. Combination of MafA, PDX-1 and NeuroD is a useful tool to efficiently induce insulin-producing surrogate beta-cells. Curr Med Chem. 2009;16:3144-51 pubmed..The combination of MafA, PDX-1 and NeuroD markedly induces insulin biosynthesis in various non-beta-cells and thereby is a useful tool to efficiently induce insulin-producing surrogate beta-cells. ..
- Bourane S, Garces A, Venteo S, Pattyn A, Hubert T, Fichard A, et al. Low-threshold mechanoreceptor subtypes selectively express MafA and are specified by Ret signaling. Neuron. 2009;64:857-70 pubmed publisher..Our results provide evidence that genetic interactions involving Ret and MafA progressively promote the differentiation and diversification of LTMs. ..
- Robine N, Lau N, Balla S, Jin Z, Okamura K, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, et al. A broadly conserved pathway generates 3'UTR-directed primary piRNAs. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2066-76 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly increase the breadth of Argonaute-mediated small RNA systems in metazoans. ..
- Otting N, Doxiadis G, Bontrop R. Definition of Mafa-A and -B haplotypes in pedigreed cynomolgus macaques (Macaca fascicularis). Immunogenetics. 2009;61:745-53 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the discovery of 53 unreported Mafa-B sequences expands the lexicon of alleles significantly, and may help in understanding the complex organisation of the macaque B region. ..
- Wilson L, Wong S, Yu N, Geras Raaka E, Raaka B, Gershengorn M. Insulin but not glucagon gene is silenced in human pancreas-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:2703-11 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the INS gene in hIPCs is modified epigenetically ("silenced") so that it is resistant to activation by transcription factors. ..