Genomes and Genes
Summary: Basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) domain-containing proteins that contain intrinsic HISTONE ACETYLTRANSFERASE activity and play important roles in CIRCADIAN RHYTHM regulation. Clock proteins combine with Arntl proteins to form heterodimeric transcription factors that are specific for E-BOX ELEMENTS and stimulate the transcription of several E-box genes that are involved in cyclical regulation. This transcriptional activation also sets into motion a time-dependent feedback loop which in turn down-regulates the expression of clock proteins.
- Musiek E, Lim M, Yang G, Bauer A, Qi L, Lee Y, et al. Circadian clock proteins regulate neuronal redox homeostasis and neurodegeneration. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:5389-400 pubmed publisherBrain aging is associated with diminished circadian clock output and decreased expression of the core clock proteins, which regulate many aspects of cellular biochemistry and metabolism...
- Kolomeĭchuk S, Makeeva I, Topchieva L, Korneva V, Nemova N. [Association of T3111C polymorphism in 3'-untranslated region of the CLOCK gene with the risk of essential arterial hypertension and coronary artery disease in the Russian population Karelia]. Genetika. 2011;47:1411-5 pubmed..Male CC carriers were characterized by a possible increased risk of EAH: OR (95% CI) = 1.42 (0.56; 3.58). Moreover, the presence of the CC genotype in males could increase the risk of CAD: OR (95% CI) = 1.58 (0.63; 3.93). ..
- Namihira M, Honma S, Abe H, Tanahashi Y, Ikeda M, Honma K. Daily variation and light responsiveness of mammalian clock gene, Clock and BMAL1, transcripts in the pineal body and different areas of brain in rats. Neurosci Lett. 1999;267:69-72 pubmed..The BMAL1 expressions in these areas were similar to the case in the pineal. These findings indicate that the mammalian clock gene, Clock and BMAL1, are expressed differently in the different areas of the brain and the pineal. ..
- Li P, Fu X, Smith N, Ziobro J, Curiel J, Tenga M, et al. Loss of CLOCK Results in Dysfunction of Brain Circuits Underlying Focal Epilepsy. Neuron. 2017;96:387-401.e6 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data show that disruption of CLOCK alters cortical circuits and may lead to generation of focal epilepsy. ..
- Fletcher E, Morgan J, Kennaway D, Bienvenu L, Rickard A, Delbridge L, et al. Deoxycorticosterone/Salt-Mediated Cardiac Inflammation and Fibrosis Are Dependent on Functional CLOCK Signaling in Male Mice. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2906-2917 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that the full development of MR-mediated cardiac inflammation and fibrosis is dependent on intact signaling by the circadian protein CLOCK. ..
- Lin R, Mo Y, Zha H, Qu Z, Xie P, Zhu Z, et al. CLOCK Acetylates ASS1 to Drive Circadian Rhythm of Ureagenesis. Mol Cell. 2017;68:198-209.e6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, CLOCK modulates metabolic rhythmicity by acting as a rhythmic acetyl-transferase for metabolic enzymes. ..
- Jiang N, Wang Z, Cao J, Dong Y, Chen Y. Effect of monochromatic light on circadian rhythmic expression of clock genes in the hypothalamus of chick. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;173:476-484 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that the circadian clock in the chick hypothalamus such as non-SCN brain region were involved in the regulation of photo information. ..
- Riestra P, Gebreab S, Xu R, Khan R, Gaye A, Correa A, et al. Circadian CLOCK gene polymorphisms in relation to sleep patterns and obesity in African Americans: findings from the Jackson heart study. BMC Genet. 2017;18:58 pubmed publisher..In this work, CLOCK gene variants were associated with sleep duration and BMI suggesting that the effects of these polymorphisms on circadian rhythmicity may affect sleep duration and body weight regulation in Africans Americans. ..
- Narasimamurthy R, Virshup D. A Flick of the Tail Keeps the Circadian Clock in Line. Mol Cell. 2017;66:437-438 pubmed publisher..In this issue of Molecular Cell, Gustafson et al. (2017) report an additional requirement for accurate timekeeping, a cis/trans conformational flicker in the transcriptional activation domain of the core clock protein BMAL1. ..
- Song H, Wang D, De Jesus Perez F, Xie R, Liu Z, Chen C, et al. Rhythmic expressed clock regulates the transcription of proliferating cellular nuclear antigen in teleost retina. Exp Eye Res. 2017;160:21-30 pubmed publisher..Our results also indicate an association between Clock proteins and the upstream region of pcna (proliferating cellular nuclear antigen) gene...
- Herichova I. Changes of physiological functions induced by shift work. Endocr Regul. 2013;47:159-70 pubmed..Shift work tolerance is individual. Partial positive selection can be achieved on the basis of several psychological traits. Appropriate schedule can be estimated on the basis of chronotype. ..
- Staiger D, Shin J, Johansson M, Davis S. The circadian clock goes genomic. Genome Biol. 2013;14:208 pubmed publisher..Large-scale biology among plant species, as well as comparative genomics of circadian clock architecture and clock-regulated output processes, have greatly advanced our understanding of the endogenous timing system in plants. ..
- Eckel Mahan K, Sassone Corsi P. Aging brains and waning clocks on the process of habituation. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:320-1 pubmed
- Rawashdeh O, Stehle J. Ageing or NOT, clock genes are important for memory processes: an interesting hypothesis raising many questions. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:259-60 pubmed