Genomes and Genes
Summary: A family of GTP-binding proteins that were initially identified in YEASTS where they were shown to initiate the process of septation and bud formation. Septins form into hetero-oligomeric complexes that are comprised of several distinct septin subunits. These complexes can act as cytoskeletal elements that play important roles in CYTOKINESIS, cytoskeletal reorganization, BIOLOGICAL TRANSPORT, and membrane dynamics.
- Cabezas Cruz A, Alberdi P, Valdes J, Villar M, De La Fuente J. Remodeling of tick cytoskeleton in response to infection with Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2017;22:1830-1844 pubmed..scapularis genome. One type of intermediate filaments (lamin), a family of septins that was recently implicated in the cellular response to intracellular pathogens, and several members of motor ..
- Toriyama M, Toriyama M, Wallingford J, Finnell R. Folate-dependent methylation of septins governs ciliogenesis during neural tube closure. FASEB J. 2017;31:3622-3635 pubmed publisher..Toriyama, M., Toriyama, M., Wallingford, J. B., Finnell, R. H. Folate-dependent methylation of septins governs ciliogenesis during neural tube closure.
- Schrock A, Leisse A, de Vos L, Gevensleben H, Dröge F, Franzen A, et al. Free-Circulating Methylated DNA in Blood for Diagnosis, Staging, Prognosis, and Monitoring of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients: An Observational Prospective Cohort Study. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1288-1296 pubmed publisher..The early detection of a recurrent/metastatic disease or a second malignancy could lead to an earlier consecutive treatment, thereby improving patients' outcomes. ..
- Rex D, Boland C, Dominitz J, Giardiello F, Johnson D, Kaltenbach T, et al. Colorectal Cancer Screening: Recommendations for Physicians and Patients From the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:307-323 pubmed publisher..Persons with a single first-degree relative diagnosed atÂ â‰¥60 years with CRC or an advanced adenoma can be offered average-risk screening options beginning at age 40 years. ..
- Zent E, Wittinghofer A. Human septin isoforms and the GDP-GTP cycle. Biol Chem. 2014;395:169-80 pubmed publisherb>Septins form oligomeric complexes consisting of septins from different subgroups, which form filaments that are involved in a number of biological processes...
- Boubakar L, Falk J, Ducuing H, Thoinet K, Reynaud F, Derrington E, et al. Molecular Memory of Morphologies by Septins during Neuron Generation Allows Early Polarity Inheritance. Neuron. 2017;95:834-851.e5 pubmed publisher..Monitoring the dynamics of Septins, which play key roles in yeast polarity, indicates that Septin 7 tags process sites for re-initiation of process ..
- Dolat L, Hu Q, Spiliotis E. Septin functions in organ system physiology and pathology. Biol Chem. 2014;395:123-41 pubmed publisherHuman septins comprise a family of 13 genes that encode for >30 protein isoforms with ubiquitous and tissue-specific expressions...
- Fliegauf M, Kahle A, Haffner K, Zieger B. Distinct localization of septin proteins to ciliary sub-compartments in airway epithelial cells. Biol Chem. 2014;395:151-6 pubmed..In addition to cytoplasmic localization we found that septins are either enriched at the apical cell cortex including the ciliary bases (septin-2, -4, -6, and -7), or show ..