Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins which participate in contractile processes. They include MUSCLE PROTEINS as well as those found in other cells and tissues. In the latter, these proteins participate in localized contractile events in the cytoplasm, in motile activity, and in cell aggregation phenomena.
- Almonacid M, Celton Morizur S, Jakubowski J, Dingli F, Loew D, Mayeux A, et al. Temporal control of contractile ring assembly by Plo1 regulation of myosin II recruitment by Mid1/anillin. Curr Biol. 2011;21:473-9 pubmed publisher..Plo1 thereby facilitates contractile ring assembly at mitotic onset. ..
- Burande C, Heuzé M, Lamsoul I, Monsarrat B, Uttenweiler Joseph S, Lutz P. A label-free quantitative proteomics strategy to identify E3 ubiquitin ligase substrates targeted to proteasome degradation. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009;8:1719-27 pubmed publisher..Altogether we provide an original strategy that enables identification of E3 ubiquitin ligase substrates that have to be degraded. ..
- Playford M, Nurminen E, Pentikainen O, Milgram S, Hartwig J, Stossel T, et al. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator interacts with multiple immunoglobulin domains of filamin A. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:17156-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that deletion of all CFTR interacting domains from FLNa suppresses the surface expression of CFTR on baby hamster kidney cells. ..
- Sole G, Coupry I, Rooryck C, Guerineau E, Martins F, Devés S, et al. Bilateral periventricular nodular heterotopia in France: frequency of mutations in FLNA, phenotypic heterogeneity and spectrum of mutations. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009;80:1394-8 pubmed publisher..Three additional patients with BPNH-EDS and a mutation in FLNA are described. No phenotype-genotype correlations could be established, but these clinical data sustain the importance of cardiovascular monitoring in FLNA-BPNH patients. ..
- Leung R, Wang Y, Cuddy K, Sun C, Magalhaes J, Grynpas M, et al. Filamin A regulates monocyte migration through Rho small GTPases during osteoclastogenesis. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25:1077-91 pubmed publisher..We conclude that filamin A is required for osteoclastogenesis by regulating actin dynamics via Rho GTPases that control monocyte migration. ..
- Roberts Galbraith R, Gould K. Stepping into the ring: the SIN takes on contractile ring assembly. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3082-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, their careful analysis of contractile ring formation may help bridge two existing models of cytokinetic ring formation. ..
- Bello N, Lamsoul I, Heuzé M, Metais A, Moreaux G, Calderwood D, et al. The E3 ubiquitin ligase specificity subunit ASB2beta is a novel regulator of muscle differentiation that targets filamin B to proteasomal degradation. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:921-32 pubmed publisher..differentiation of C2C12 cells delayed FLNb degradation as well as myoblast fusion and expression of muscle contractile proteins. Finally, knockdown of FLNb in ASB2beta knockdown cells restores myogenic differentiation...
- Isidor B, Cormier Daire V, Le Merrer M, Lefrancois T, Hamel A, Le Caignec C, et al. Autosomal dominant spondylocarpotarsal synostosis syndrome: phenotypic homogeneity and genetic heterogeneity. Am J Med Genet A. 2008;146A:1593-7 pubmed publisher..Molecular analysis failed to identify mutations in NOG and FLNB. SCT is therefore, genetically heterogeneous. Both dominant and autosomal recessive forms of inheritance should be considered during genetic counseling...
- Sawyer G, Clark A, Robertson S, Sutherland Smith A. Disease-associated substitutions in the filamin B actin binding domain confer enhanced actin binding affinity in the absence of major structural disturbance: Insights from the crystal structures of filamin B actin binding domains. J Mol Biol. 2009;390:1030-47 pubmed publisher..0 microM. The increased F-actin binding affinity of the mutants presents a biochemical mechanism that differentiates the autosomal dominant gain-of-function FLNB disorders from those that arise through the complete loss of FLNB protein. ..
- Laporte D, Coffman V, Lee I, Wu J. Assembly and architecture of precursor nodes during fission yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:1005-21 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our work characterizing the assembly and architecture of precursor nodes defines important steps and molecular players for contractile ring assembly. ..
- Pilop C, Aregger F, Gorman R, Brunisholz R, Gerrits B, Schaffner T, et al. Proteomic analysis in aortic media of patients with Marfan syndrome reveals increased activity of calpain 2 in aortic aneurysms. Circulation. 2009;120:983-91 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results present evidence that the cleavage of filamin A is highly likely the result of the protease calpain. Increased calpain activity might explain, at least in part, histological alterations in dilated aorta. ..
- Ai J, Huang H, Lv X, Tang Z, Chen M, Chen T, et al. FLNA and PGK1 are two potential markers for progression in hepatocellular carcinoma. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2011;27:207-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together with the confirmation of expression on the mRNA level, we propose the use of FLNA and PGK1 as potential markers for the progression of HCC. ..
- Charras G, Hu C, Coughlin M, Mitchison T. Reassembly of contractile actin cortex in cell blebs. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:477-90 pubmed..ezrin was recruited to the membrane first, followed by actin, actin-bundling proteins, and, finally, contractile proteins. Complete assembly of the contractile cortex, which was organized into a cagelike mesh of filaments, took ..
- Fiori J, Zhu T, O Connell M, Hoek K, Indig F, Frank B, et al. Filamin A modulates kinase activation and intracellular trafficking of epidermal growth factor receptors in human melanoma cells. Endocrinology. 2009;150:2551-60 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the requirement of FLNa for efficient EGFR kinase activation and the sorting of endocytosed receptors into the degradation pathway. ..
- Werner M, Glotzer M. Control of cortical contractility during cytokinesis. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008;36:371-7 pubmed publisher..We review our current understanding of the molecular mechanisms of furrow formation, with particular emphasis on the central spindle-independent pathway. ..
- Ithychanda S, Das M, Ma Y, Ding K, Wang X, Gupta S, et al. Migfilin, a molecular switch in regulation of integrin activation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4713-22 pubmed publisher..Migfilin thus acts as a molecular switch to disconnect filamin from integrin for regulating integrin activation and dynamics of extracellular matrix-actin linkage. ..
- Mondal S, Burgute B, Rieger D, Muller R, Rivero F, Faix J, et al. Regulation of the actin cytoskeleton by an interaction of IQGAP related protein GAPA with filamin and cortexillin I. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15440 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of filamin and GAPA in the various strains suggests that GAPA regulates the actin cytoskeleton through interaction with Filamin and that it controls cytokinesis through association with Filamin and Cortexillin. ..
- Muriel O, Echarri A, Hellriegel C, Pavón D, Beccari L, Del Pozo M. Phosphorylated filamin A regulates actin-linked caveolae dynamics. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2763-76 pubmed publisher..Inwards trafficking of caveolin-1 requires both the ability of FLNa to bind actin and cycling PKC?-dependent phosphorylation of FLNa on Ser2152 after cell detachment...
- Nieves B, Jones C, Ward R, Ohta Y, Reverte C, LaFlamme S. The NPIY motif in the integrin beta1 tail dictates the requirement for talin-1 in outside-in signaling. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:1216-26 pubmed publisher..Our studies emphasize the importance of understanding the mechanisms that regulate the differential binding FLNa and talin-1 to the beta1 tail downstream of integrin activation in promoting integrin function. ..
- Goldbach P, Wong R, Beise N, Sarpal R, Trimble W, Brill J. Stabilization of the actomyosin ring enables spermatocyte cytokinesis in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1482-93 pubmed publisher..Our results show that the anillin-septin and cadherin-catenin complexes can serve as alternative cassettes to promote tight physical coupling of F-actin and myosin II to the cleavage furrow and successful completion of cytokinesis. ..
- Zhou A, Hartwig J, Akyürek L. Filamins in cell signaling, transcription and organ development. Trends Cell Biol. 2010;20:113-23 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the emerging roles of filamins in cell signaling and transcription, with emphasis on cell motility and organ development. ..
- Jeon Y, Choi J, Lee J, Yu K, Ka S, Cho Y, et al. Filamin B serves as a molecular scaffold for type I interferon-induced c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase signaling pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:5116-30 pubmed publisher..These results establish a novel function of filamin B as a molecular scaffold in the JNK signaling pathway for type I IFN-induced apoptosis, thus providing the biological basis for antitumor and antiviral functions of type I IFNs. ..
- Bathe M, Chang F. Cytokinesis and the contractile ring in fission yeast: towards a systems-level understanding. Trends Microbiol. 2010;18:38-45 pubmed publisher..A picture of a highly dynamic and integrated system consisting of overlapping networks is beginning to emerge, the detailed nature of which remains to be elucidated. ..
- Piekny A, Maddox A. The myriad roles of Anillin during cytokinesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2010;21:881-91 pubmed publisher..Here we review Anillin's interacting partners and the relevance of these interactions in vivo. We also discuss questions of how these interactions are coordinated, and finally provide some perspective regarding Anillin's role in cancer. ..
- Kim H, Nakamura F, Lee W, Hong C, Perez Sala D, McCulloch C. Regulation of cell adhesion to collagen via beta1 integrins is dependent on interactions of filamin A with vimentin and protein kinase C epsilon. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:1829-44 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the binding of filamin A to vimentin and protein kinase Cepsilon is an essential regulatory step for the trafficking and activation of beta1 integrins and cell spreading on collagen. ..
- de Wit M, Kros J, Halley D, de Coo I, Verdijk R, Jacobs B, et al. Filamin A mutation, a common cause for periventricular heterotopia, aneurysms and cardiac defects. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009;80:426-8 pubmed publisher..Postmortally, the diagnosis of a filamin A mutation was confirmed. Recognition during life may prevent cardiovascular problems and provide possibilities for genetic counselling. ..
- Yue J, Lu H, Liu J, Berwick M, Shen Z. Filamin-A as a marker and target for DNA damage based cancer therapy. DNA Repair (Amst). 2012;11:192-200 pubmed publisher..Thus filamin-A can be used as a biomarker and a target for DNA damage based cancer therapy. ..
- Koenderink G, Dogic Z, Nakamura F, Bendix P, MacKintosh F, Hartwig J, et al. An active biopolymer network controlled by molecular motors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:15192-7 pubmed publisher..This design principle may be applicable to engineering novel biologically inspired, active materials that adjust their own stiffness by internal catalytic control. ..
- Liu J, Fairn G, Ceccarelli D, Sicheri F, Wilde A. Cleavage furrow organization requires PIP(2)-mediated recruitment of anillin. Curr Biol. 2012;22:64-9 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the anillin PH domain has two functions: targeting anillin to the furrow by binding to PI(4,5)P(2) to maintain furrow organization and recruiting septins to the furrow. ..
- Alper O, Stetler Stevenson W, Harris L, Leitner W, Ozdemirli M, Hartmann D, et al. Novel anti-filamin-A antibody detects a secreted variant of filamin-A in plasma from patients with breast carcinoma and high-grade astrocytoma. Cancer Sci. 2009;100:1748-56 pubmed publisher..Additional novel cancer biomarkers have been identified and are being developed alongside Alper-p280 for use in diagnosis of breast carcinoma and high-grade astrocytoma, and for use in the evaluation of therapeutic responses. ..
- Ravid D, Chuderland D, Landsman L, Lavie Y, Reich R, Liscovitch M. Filamin A is a novel caveolin-1-dependent target in IGF-I-stimulated cancer cell migration. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2762-73 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that caveolin-1 specifies filamin A as a novel target for Akt-mediated filamin A Ser-2152 phosphorylation thus mediating the effects of caveolin-1 on IGF-I-induced cancer cell migration. ..
- Guedj N, Zhan Q, Perigny M, Rautou P, Degos F, Belghiti J, et al. Comparative protein expression profiles of hilar and peripheral hepatic cholangiocarcinomas. J Hepatol. 2009;51:93-101 pubmed publisher..Our results show that hilar and peripheral cholangiocarcinomas display specific protein profiles, especially regarding VEGF expression. This suggests a potential benefit for anti-angiogenic therapies in peripheral hepatic CCs. ..
- Hachet O, Simanis V. Mid1p/anillin and the septation initiation network orchestrate contractile ring assembly for cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3205-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data establish that Mid1p and the SIN are the key regulators that orchestrate CAR assembly. ..
- Byfield F, Wen Q, Levental I, Nordstrom K, Arratia P, Miller R, et al. Absence of filamin A prevents cells from responding to stiffness gradients on gels coated with collagen but not fibronectin. Biophys J. 2009;96:5095-102 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for different models of cell protrusion and adhesion and identify a key role for filamin A in altering cellular stiffness that cannot be compensated for by other actin cross-linkers in vivo. ..
- Guergueltcheva V, Peeters K, Baets J, Ceuterick de Groote C, Martin J, Suls A, et al. Distal myopathy with upper limb predominance caused by filamin C haploinsufficiency. Neurology. 2011;77:2105-14 pubmed publisher..In this study, we investigated the detailed clinical findings and underlying genetic defect in 3 presumably related Bulgarian families displaying dominantly transmitted adult onset distal myopathy with upper limb predominance...
- Cousin H, DeSimone D, Alfandari D. PACSIN2 regulates cell adhesion during gastrulation in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol. 2008;319:86-99 pubmed publisher..We propose that PACSIN2 may regulate gastrulation by controlling the population of activated alpha5beta1 integrin and cytoskeleton strength during cell movement. ..
- Vattemi G, Neri M, Piffer S, Vicart P, Gualandi F, Marini M, et al. Clinical, morphological and genetic studies in a cohort of 21 patients with myofibrillar myopathy. Acta Myol. 2011;30:121-6 pubmed
- Xu Y, Bismar T, Su J, Xu B, Kristiansen G, Varga Z, et al. Filamin A regulates focal adhesion disassembly and suppresses breast cancer cell migration and invasion. J Exp Med. 2010;207:2421-37 pubmed publisher..These results document a regulation of FA dynamics by FLNa in breast cancer cells. ..
- Gai M, Camera P, Dema A, Bianchi F, Berto G, Scarpa E, et al. Citron kinase controls abscission through RhoA and anillin. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3768-78 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that CIT-K is a crucial abscission regulator that may promote midbody stability through active RhoA and anillin. ..
- Silverman Gavrila R, Hales K, Wilde A. Anillin-mediated targeting of peanut to pseudocleavage furrows is regulated by the GTPase Ran. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3735-44 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that anillin and Peanut are involved in pseudocleavage furrow ingression in syncytial embryos and that this process is regulated by Ran. ..
- Nakamura F, Stossel T, Hartwig J. The filamins: organizers of cell structure and function. Cell Adh Migr. 2011;5:160-9 pubmed..Due to this diversity, mutations in human FLN genes result in a wide range of anomalies with moderate to lethal consequences. This review focuses on the structure and functions of FLNa in cell migration and adhesion. ..
- Ferland R, Batiz L, Neal J, Lian G, Bundock E, Lu J, et al. Disruption of neural progenitors along the ventricular and subventricular zones in periventricular heterotopia. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:497-516 pubmed publisher..Our current findings suggest that PH formation arises from a final common pathway involving disruption of vesicle trafficking, leading to impaired cell adhesion and loss of neuroependymal integrity. ..
- Lad Y, Jiang P, Ruskamo S, Harburger D, Ylanne J, Campbell I, et al. Structural basis of the migfilin-filamin interaction and competition with integrin beta tails. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35154-63 pubmed publisher..In this specific case, displacement of integrin tails from filamin by migfilin may provide a mechanism for switching between different integrin-cytoskeleton linkages. ..
- Heuzé M, Lamsoul I, Baldassarre M, Lad Y, Levèque S, Razinia Z, et al. ASB2 targets filamins A and B to proteasomal degradation. Blood. 2008;112:5130-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, we suggest that ASB2 may regulate hematopoietic cell differentiation by modulating cell spreading and actin remodeling through targeting of filamins for degradation. ..
- Schmoller K, Lieleg O, Bausch A. Structural and viscoelastic properties of actin/filamin networks: cross-linked versus bundled networks. Biophys J. 2009;97:83-9 pubmed publisher..Using confocal microscopy and macrorheology, we investigate both cross-linked and bundled actin/filamin networks and compare their microstructures as well as their viscoelastic properties in the linear and the nonlinear regime. ..
- Pentikäinen U, Ylanne J. The regulation mechanism for the auto-inhibition of binding of human filamin A to integrin. J Mol Biol. 2009;393:644-57 pubmed publisher..This observed force-induced conformational change can also be one of possible mechanisms involved in the regulation of integrin activation. ..
- Kasza K, Nakamura F, Hu S, Kollmannsberger P, Bonakdar N, Fabry B, et al. Filamin A is essential for active cell stiffening but not passive stiffening under external force. Biophys J. 2009;96:4326-35 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, however, filamin A is not required for passive stiffening under large external forces. ..
- Velkova A, Carvalho M, Johnson J, Tavtigian S, Monteiro A. Identification of Filamin A as a BRCA1-interacting protein required for efficient DNA repair. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:1421-33 pubmed..Our data is consistent with a model in which absence of FLNA compromises homologous recombination and non-homologous end joining. Our findings have implications for the response to irradiation induced DNA damage. ..
- Kanters E, van Rijssel J, Hensbergen P, Hondius D, Mul F, Deelder A, et al. Filamin B mediates ICAM-1-driven leukocyte transendothelial migration. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31830-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study identifies filamin B as a molecular linker that mediates ICAM-1-driven transendothelial migration. ..
- D Avino P, Takeda T, Capalbo L, Zhang W, Lilley K, Laue E, et al. Interaction between Anillin and RacGAP50C connects the actomyosin contractile ring with spindle microtubules at the cell division site. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1151-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its role in activating RhoA signalling, RacGAP50C also controls the proper assembly of the actomyosin ring by interacting with Anillin at the cleavage furrow. ..
- Kechad A, Jananji S, Ruella Y, Hickson G. Anillin acts as a bifunctional linker coordinating midbody ring biogenesis during cytokinesis. Curr Biol. 2012;22:197-203 pubmed publisher..One apparently acts as the core structural template for MR assembly, while the other ensures stable anchoring of the plasma membrane beyond the CR stage. ..
- Beekman J, van der Poel C, van der Linden J, van den Berg D, van den Berghe P, van de Winkel J, et al. Filamin A stabilizes Fc gamma RI surface expression and prevents its lysosomal routing. J Immunol. 2008;180:3938-45 pubmed..These data support a pivotal role for filamin in FcgammaRI surface expression via retention of FcgammaRI from a default lysosomal pathway. ..
- Haglund K, Nezis I, Lemus D, Grabbe C, Wesche J, Liestøl K, et al. Cindr interacts with anillin to control cytokinesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Curr Biol. 2010;20:944-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that Cindr and Anillin cooperate to promote intercellular bridge stability during incomplete cytokinesis in Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Almonacid M, Moseley J, Janvore J, Mayeux A, Fraisier V, Nurse P, et al. Spatial control of cytokinesis by Cdr2 kinase and Mid1/anillin nuclear export. Curr Biol. 2009;19:961-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Cdr2- and nuclear export-dependent positioning of Mid1 constitute two overlapping mechanisms that relay cell polarity and nuclear positional information to ensure proper division-plane specification. ..
- Du F, Edwards K, Shen Z, Sun B, De Lozanne A, Briggs S, et al. Regulation of contractile vacuole formation and activity in Dictyostelium. EMBO J. 2008;27:2064-76 pubmed publisher..Our studies help define the pathways controlling CV function. ..
- Takala H, Nurminen E, Nurmi S, Aatonen M, Strandin T, Takatalo M, et al. Beta2 integrin phosphorylation on Thr758 acts as a molecular switch to regulate 14-3-3 and filamin binding. Blood. 2008;112:1853-62 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the phosphorylation of beta2 integrins on Thr758 acts as a molecular switch to inhibit filamin binding and allow 14-3-3 protein binding to the integrin cytoplasmic domain, thereby modulating T-cell adhesion. ..
- Castoria G, D Amato L, Ciociola A, Giovannelli P, Giraldi T, Sepe L, et al. Androgen-induced cell migration: role of androgen receptor/filamin A association. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17218 pubmed publisher..Assembly of this ternary complex may control organ development and prostate cancer metastasis. ..
- Ehrlicher A, Nakamura F, Hartwig J, Weitz D, Stossel T. Mechanical strain in actin networks regulates FilGAP and integrin binding to filamin A. Nature. 2011;478:260-3 pubmed publisher..These results identify a molecular mechanotransduction element within the actin cytoskeleton, revealing that mechanical strain of key proteins regulates the binding of signalling molecules. ..
- Sharif Naeini R, Folgering J, Bichet D, Duprat F, Lauritzen I, Arhatte M, et al. Polycystin-1 and -2 dosage regulates pressure sensing. Cell. 2009;139:587-96 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that TRPP2 interacts with filamin A and demonstrate that this actin crosslinking protein is critical for SAC regulation. This work uncovers a role for polycystins in regulating pressure sensing. ..
- Gehler S, Baldassarre M, Lad Y, Leight J, Wozniak M, Riching K, et al. Filamin A-beta1 integrin complex tunes epithelial cell response to matrix tension. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3224-38 pubmed publisher..Our findings support a role for FLNa-beta1 integrin as a mechanosensitive complex that bidirectionally senses the tension of the matrix and, in turn, regulates cellular contractility and response to this matrix tension. ..
- Yue J, Lan S, Yuan C, Shen Z. Prognostic values of filamin-A status for topoisomerase II poison chemotherapy. Int J Biol Sci. 2012;8:442-50 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a novel function of filamin-A in regulating the pharmacokinetics of Topo II poisons, and that the status of filamin-A may be used as a prognostic marker for Topo II poisons based cancer treatments. ..
- ..However, in the majority of the myofibrillar myopathy patients the disease gene awaits discovery...
- Minsaas L, Planaguma J, Madziva M, Krakstad B, Masià Balagué M, Katz A, et al. Filamin a binds to CCR2B and regulates its internalization. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12212 pubmed publisher..Therefore, FLNa emerges as an important protein for controlling the internalization and spatial localization of the CCR2B receptor in different dynamic membrane structures. ..
- Li C, Yu S, Nakamura F, Pentikainen O, Singh N, Yin S, et al. Pro-prion binds filamin A, facilitating its interaction with integrin beta1, and contributes to melanomagenesis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:30328-39 pubmed publisher..Pro-PrP is detected in melanoma in situ but not in melanocyte. Invasive melanoma has more pro-PrP. The binding of pro-PrP to FLNA, therefore, contributes to melanomagenesis. ..