Genomes and Genes
adenine nucleotide translocator 1
Summary: A subtype of mitochondrial ADP, ATP translocase found primarily in heart muscle (MYOCARDIUM) and skeletal muscle (MUSCLE, SKELETAL).
- Malorni W, Farrace M, Matarrese P, Tinari A, Ciarlo L, Mousavi Shafaei P, et al. The adenine nucleotide translocator 1 acts as a type 2 transglutaminase substrate: implications for mitochondrial-dependent apoptosis. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:1480-92 pubmed publisher..TG2) regulates the correct assembly and function of the mitochondrial ADP/ATP transporter adenine nucleotide translocator 1 (ANT1)...
- Zamora M, Meroño C, Viñas O, Mampel T. Recruitment of NF-kappaB into mitochondria is involved in adenine nucleotide translocase 1 (ANT1)-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:38415-23 pubmed..Thus, we propose that the mitochondrial recruitment of NF-kappaB observed following ANT1 overexpression has an important role in ANT1 proapoptotic activity. ..
- Buck C, Jurynec M, Gupta D, Law A, Bilger J, Wallace D, et al. Increased adenine nucleotide translocator 1 in reactive astrocytes facilitates glutamate transport. Exp Neurol. 2003;181:149-58 pubmed..Thus, the astrocytic response to CNS injury includes an apparent increase in energy mobilization capacity by Ant1 that contributes to neuroprotective, energy-dependent glutamate uptake. ..
- Ren R, Zhang Y, Li B, Wu Y, Li B. Effect of ?-amyloid (25-35) on mitochondrial function and expression of mitochondrial permeability transition pore proteins in rat hippocampal neurons. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:1450-7 pubmed publisher..Mitochondrial dysfunction may result in increased MPTP gene expression, leading to neurodegenerative effects. ..
- Vandenabeele P, Vanden Berghe T, Festjens N. Caspase inhibitors promote alternative cell death pathways. Sci STKE. 2006;2006:pe44 pubmed
- Lynn E, Stevens M, Wong R, Carabenciov D, Jacobson J, Murphy E, et al. Transient upregulation of PGC-1alpha diminishes cardiac ischemia tolerance via upregulation of ANT1. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2010;49:693-8 pubmed publisher..These adverse phenotypes appear to be mediated, in part, by PGC-1alpha induced upregulation of ANT1. ..
- Chen Y, Wang W, Zhang P, Zhang W, Liu J, Ma X. [Expression of genes psma6 and slc25a4 in patients with acute monocytic leukemia]. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 2009;17:1168-73 pubmed..It is concluded that the expression level of psma6 is probably a new prognostic indicator of acute monocytic leukemia, slc25a4 may be a novel gene of antigen associated with acute monocytic leukemia. ..
- Hong J, Samudio I, Chintharlapalli S, Safe S. 1,1-bis(3'-indolyl)-1-(p-substituted phenyl)methanes decrease mitochondrial membrane potential and induce apoptosis in endometrial and other cancer cell lines. Mol Carcinog. 2008;47:492-507 pubmed..Results of this study show that the receptor-independent proapoptotic activity of DIM-C-pPhtBu and DIM-C-pPhC(6)H(5) were related to novel mitochondriotoxic activities involving inner mitochondrial ANT proteins. ..
- Lamperti C, Zeviani M. Encephalomyopathies caused by abnormal nuclear-mitochondrial intergenomic cross-talk. Acta Myol. 2009;28:2-11 pubmed..Novel disease genes have recently been added to this list, including OPA1 and GFER, and new clinical variants add further complexity to this expanding area of mitochondrial medicine. ..
- Lin Hendel E, McManus M, Wallace D, Anderson S, Golden J. Differential Mitochondrial Requirements for Radially and Non-radially Migrating Cortical Neurons: Implications for Mitochondrial Disorders. Cell Rep. 2016;15:229-37 pubmed publisher..The selective dependence of cortical interneuron migration on oxidative phosphorylation may be a mechanistic pathway upon which multiple developmental and metabolic pathologies converge. ..
- Jiang H, Zhang C, Tang Y, Zhao J, Wang T, Liu H, et al. The regulator of calcineurin 1 increases adenine nucleotide translocator 1 and leads to mitochondrial dysfunctions. J Neurochem. 2017;140:307-319 pubmed publisher..This study elucidated a novel function of RCAN1 in mitochondria and provides a molecular basis for the RCAN1.1S over-expression-induced mitochondrial dysfunctions and neuronal apoptosis. ..
- Weber A, Fischer K. Making the connections--the crucial role of metabolite transporters at the interface between chloroplast and cytosol. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:2215-22 pubmed..Here, we review the advances in understanding metabolite transport across the plastid envelope membrane. ..
- Hang T, Huang Z, Jiang S, Gong J, Wang C, Xie D, et al. Apoptosis in pressure overload-induced cardiac hypertrophy is mediated, in part, by adenine nucleotide translocator-1. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2006;36:88-95 pubmed
- Dong Y, Zhuang Y, Cai W, Liu Y, Zou W. The mitochondrion interfering compound NPC-26 exerts potent anti-pancreatic cancer cell activity in vitro and in vivo. Tumour Biol. 2016;37:15053-15063 pubmed..In summary, the results of this study suggest that NPC-26, alone or together with gemcitabine, potently inhibits pancreatic cancer cells possibly via disrupting mitochondrion. ..
- Dorner A, Giessen S, Gaub R, Grosse Siestrup H, Schwimmbeck P, Hetzer R, et al. An isoform shift in the cardiac adenine nucleotide translocase expression alters the kinetic properties of the carrier in dilated cardiomyopathy. Eur J Heart Fail. 2006;8:81-9 pubmed..90.4 +/- 2.9 microM in controls (p < 0.03). The altered isoform expression in DCM hearts entails changes in the kinetic properties of total ANT protein restricting ANT function and contributing to disturbed energy metabolism in DCM. ..
- Naimi M, Bannwarth S, Procaccio V, Pouget J, Desnuelle C, Pellissier J, et al. Molecular analysis of ANT1, TWINKLE and POLG in patients with multiple deletions or depletion of mitochondrial DNA by a dHPLC-based assay. Eur J Hum Genet. 2006;14:917-22 pubmed
- Zhang C, Jiang H, Wang P, Liu H, Sun X. Transcription factor NF-kappa B represses ANT1 transcription and leads to mitochondrial dysfunctions. Sci Rep. 2017;7:44708 pubmed publisher..As the most abundant protein in the mitochondrial inner membrane, adenine nucleotide translocator 1 (ANT1) plays a critical role in mitochondrial function, including the exchange of adenosine ..
- Sharer J. The adenine nucleotide translocase type 1 (ANT1): a new factor in mitochondrial disease. IUBMB Life. 2005;57:607-14 pubmed..Early development of FSHD may involve mitochondrial dysfunction and increased oxidative stress, possibly associated with overexpression of ANT1. ..
- Fontes Oliveira C, Busquets S, Toledo M, Penna F, Paz Aylwin M, Sirisi S, et al. Mitochondrial and sarcoplasmic reticulum abnormalities in cancer cachexia: altered energetic efficiency?. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1830:2770-8 pubmed..These alterations are linked to pathways that can account for energy inefficiency associated with cancer cachexia. ..
- Zhou C, Chen Z, Lu X, Wu H, Yang Q, Xu D. Icaritin activates JNK-dependent mPTP necrosis pathway in colorectal cancer cells. Tumour Biol. 2016;37:3135-44 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results showed that ICT exerts potent inhibitory effect against CRC cells in vitro and in vivo. JNK-dependent mPTP necrosis pathway could be key mechanism responsible for ICT's actions. ..
- Oliveira P, Wallace K. Depletion of adenine nucleotide translocator protein in heart mitochondria from doxorubicin-treated rats--relevance for mitochondrial dysfunction. Toxicology. 2006;220:160-8 pubmed
- Wang Y, Ebermann L, Sterner Kock A, Wika S, Schultheiss H, Dorner A, et al. Myocardial overexpression of adenine nucleotide translocase 1 ameliorates diabetic cardiomyopathy in mice. Exp Physiol. 2009;94:220-7 pubmed publisher..Cardiomyocyte-restricted overexpression of ANT1 prevents the development of diabetic cardiomyopathy; therefore, accelerated ADP/ATP exchange could be a new promising target to treat diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Yuan J, Yu M, Lin Q, Cao A, Yu X, Dong J, et al. Neutralization of IL-17 inhibits the production of anti-ANT autoantibodies in CVB3-induced acute viral myocarditis. Int Immunopharmacol. 2010;10:272-6 pubmed publisher..Our data suggested that IL-17 was related to the disease progression in AVMC mouse model by regulating the production of autoantibodies and blocking IL-17 might represent a promising novel therapeutic approach...
- Song X, Liu G, Wang Z, Wang L. Puerarin protects against cadmium-induced proximal tubular cell apoptosis by restoring mitochondrial function. Chem Biol Interact. 2016;260:219-231 pubmed publisher..In summary, PU inhibited Cd-induced apoptosis in rPT cells by ameliorating the mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Basavalingappa R, Massilamany C, Krishnan B, Gangaplara A, Kang G, Khalilzad Sharghi V, et al. Identification of an Epitope from Adenine Nucleotide Translocator 1 That Induces Inflammation in Heart in A/J Mice. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:3160-3175 pubmed publisher..notion, intracellular cardiac antigens, like cardiac myosin heavy chain-?, cardiac troponin-I, and adenine nucleotide translocator 1 (ANT1), have been identified as autoantigens in cardiac autoimmunity...
- Chen J, Chen K, Fan C, Han C, Chen Y, Yu J, et al. Comparison of membrane fraction proteomic profiles of normal and cancerous human colorectal tissues with gel-assisted digestion and iTRAQ labeling mass spectrometry. FEBS J. 2010;277:3028-38 pubmed publisher..We conclude that gel-assisted digestion and iTRAQ labeling MS is a potential approach for uncovering and comparing membrane protein profiles of tissue samples that has the potential to identify novel biomarkers. ..
- Benjamin F, Rodrigue R, Aurelien D, Christophe R, Stephane C, Monique M, et al. The respiratory-dependent assembly of ANT1 differentially regulates Bax and Ca2+ mediated cytochrome c release. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2011;3:395-409 pubmed..OXPHOS functioning has to therefore be considered a crucial control point for the events leading to these contrasting pathways. ..
- Agostino A, Valletta L, Chinnery P, Ferrari G, Carrara F, Taylor R, et al. Mutations of ANT1, Twinkle, and POLG1 in sporadic progressive external ophthalmoplegia (PEO). Neurology. 2003;60:1354-6 pubmed..Irrespective of the inheritance mode, screening of these genes should be performed in all patients with progressive external ophthalmoplegia with multiple mtDNA deletions...
- Feng J, Lucchinetti E, Enkavi G, Wang Y, Gehrig P, Roschitzki B, et al. Tyrosine phosphorylation by Src within the cavity of the adenine nucleotide translocase 1 regulates ADP/ATP exchange in mitochondria. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;298:C740-8 pubmed publisherPhosphorylation of adenine nucleotide translocator 1 (ANT1) at residue Y194, which is part of the aromatic ladder located within the lumen of the carrier, critically regulates mitochondrial metabolism...
- Phillips M, Webb Wood S, Faulkner A, Jabbar S, Biousse V, Newman N, et al. Retinal function and structure in Ant1-deficient mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:6744-52 pubmed publisher..Moderate functional changes coupled with a lack of detectable morphologic changes suggest that ANT1 is not essential for ATP transport in the retina. ..
- Trebinska A, Golik P. [Mitochondrial disorders caused by defects in the intergenomic communication]. Postepy Biochem. 2004;50:45-56 pubmed
- Lodi T, Bove C, Fontanesi F, Viola A, Ferrero I. Mutation D104G in ANT1 gene: complementation study in Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;341:810-5 pubmed..Application to the case of the D104G mutation indicated that the chimeric construction could be a tool for validation of pathogenic ANT1 mutations in yeast. ..
- Bogenhagen D, Wang Y, Shen E, Kobayashi R. Protein components of mitochondrial DNA nucleoids in higher eukaryotes. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2003;2:1205-16 pubmed..These include adenine nucleotide translocator 1, the lipoyl-containing E2 subunits of pyruvate dehydrogenase and branched chain alpha-ketoacid ..
- Dulermo R, Gamboa Meléndez H, Ledesma Amaro R, Thevenieau F, Nicaud J. Yarrowia lipolytica AAL genes are involved in peroxisomal fatty acid activation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1861:555-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, an analysis of the FA content of cells grown in the oleate medium suggested that Aal4p and Aal6p present substrate specificity for C16:1 and/or C18:0. ..
- Mönkkönen H, Auriola S, Lehenkari P, Kellinsalmi M, Hassinen I, Vepsalainen J, et al. A new endogenous ATP analog (ApppI) inhibits the mitochondrial adenine nucleotide translocase (ANT) and is responsible for the apoptosis induced by nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates. Br J Pharmacol. 2006;147:437-45 pubmed
- Vukotic M, Nolte H, König T, Saita S, Ananjew M, Kruger M, et al. Acylglycerol Kinase Mutated in Sengers Syndrome Is a Subunit of the TIM22 Protein Translocase in Mitochondria. Mol Cell. 2017;67:471-483.e7 pubmed publisher..The dual function of AGK as lipid kinase and constituent of the TIM22 complex reveals that disturbances in both phospholipid metabolism and mitochondrial protein biogenesis contribute to the pathogenesis of Sengers syndrome. ..
- Mori N, Ishiba Y, Kubota S, Kobayashi A, Higashide T, McLaren M, et al. Truncation mutation in HRG4 (UNC119) leads to mitochondrial ANT-1-mediated photoreceptor synaptic and retinal degeneration by apoptosis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:1281-92 pubmed
- Palmieri L, Alberio S, Pisano I, Lodi T, Meznaric Petrusa M, Zidar J, et al. Complete loss-of-function of the heart/muscle-specific adenine nucleotide translocator is associated with mitochondrial myopathy and cardiomyopathy. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:3079-88 pubmed
- Nichols W, Marek D, Pauciulo M, Pankratz N, Halter C, Rudolph A, et al. R1514Q substitution in Lrrk2 is not a pathogenic Parkinson's disease mutation. Mov Disord. 2007;22:254-7 pubmed..We believe it is imperative that the causative nature of any newly identified genetic variant be determined before it is included in any panel for diagnostic testing. ..
- Xu L, Wu S, Zhang H, Zhang L, Yue H, Ji F, et al. Comparison of lipid oxidation, messenger ribonucleic acid levels of avian uncoupling protein, avian adenine nucleotide translocator, and avian peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-? coactivator-1? in skeletal muscles from electrical- and gas-st. Poult Sci. 2011;90:2069-75 pubmed publisher..However, these changes were not sufficient to cause a difference in meat lipid oxidation at 24 h postmortem between broilers stunned with hypercapnic moderate oxygenation GS and those stunned with low-current, high-frequency ES. ..
- Yuan Y, Guo Qing P, Yan T, Hong Lin Y, Gong Hua H, Cai Gao Z. A study of PKM2, PFK-1, and ANT1 expressions in cervical biopsy tissues in China. Med Oncol. 2012;29:2904-10 pubmed publisher..explored the association of Pyruvate Kinase isozyme M2 (PKM2), Phosphofructokinase 1 (PFK-1) and Adenine nucleotide translocator 1 (ANT1) with cervical carcinoma...
- Hatano A, Okada J, Washio T, Hisada T, Sugiura S. A three-dimensional simulation model of cardiomyocyte integrating excitation-contraction coupling and metabolism. Biophys J. 2011;101:2601-10 pubmed publisher..In summary, our 3D model provides a powerful tool for the study of cardiac function by overcoming some of the spatiotemporal limitations of current experimental approaches. ..
- Qiu Y, Yu T, Wang W, Pan K, Shi D, Sun H. Curcumin-induced melanoma cell death is associated with mitochondrial permeability transition pore (mPTP) opening. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;448:15-21 pubmed publisher..cells, curcumin induced mitochondrial membrane potential (MPP) decrease, cyclophilin-D (CyPD)-adenine nucleotide translocator 1 (ANT-1) (two mPTP components) mitochondrial association and cytochrome C release, indicating mPTP ..
- Gouspillou G, Bourdel Marchasson I, Rouland R, Calmettes G, Franconi J, Deschodt Arsac V, et al. Alteration of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in aged skeletal muscle involves modification of adenine nucleotide translocator. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1797:143-51 pubmed publisher..Based on our data, we propose that modification of ANT properties with aging could partly explain these mitochondrial dysfunctions. ..
- Martikainen M, Hinttala R, Roytta M, Jääskeläinen S, Wendelin Saarenhovi M, Parkkola R, et al. Progressive external ophthalmoplegia in southwestern Finland: a clinical and genetic study. Neuroepidemiology. 2012;38:114-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that molecular investigation of patients with PEO, either sporadic or familial, should start with an analysis for mtDNA deletions, followed by an analysis of the POLG1 gene. ..
- Don A, Kisker O, Dilda P, Donoghue N, Zhao X, Decollogne S, et al. A peptide trivalent arsenical inhibits tumor angiogenesis by perturbing mitochondrial function in angiogenic endothelial cells. Cancer Cell. 2003;3:497-509 pubmed..GSAO inhibited angiogenesis in the chick chorioallantoic membrane and in solid tumors in mice. Consequently, GSAO inhibited tumor growth in mice with no apparent toxicity at efficacious doses. ..
- Strauss K, Dubiner L, Simon M, ZARAGOZA M, Sengupta P, Li P, et al. Severity of cardiomyopathy associated with adenine nucleotide translocator-1 deficiency correlates with mtDNA haplogroup. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3453-8 pubmed publisher..Patients with the haplogroup U mtDNAs had more rapid and severe cardiomyopathy than those with haplogroup H. ..
- Hsiao C, Wang D, Kaushal A, Saligan L. Mitochondria-related gene expression changes are associated with fatigue in patients with nonmetastatic prostate cancer receiving external beam radiation therapy. Cancer Nurs. 2013;36:189-97 pubmed publisher..These findings identify possible pathways and early biomarkers for targeting novel interventions for CRF. ..
- Siciliano G, Tessa A, Petrini S, Mancuso M, Bruno C, Grieco G, et al. Autosomal dominant external ophthalmoplegia and bipolar affective disorder associated with a mutation in the ANT1 gene. Neuromuscul Disord. 2003;13:162-5 pubmed..The authors identified a missense mutation (leucine 98-->proline) in the adenine nucleotide translocator 1 gene...
- Echaniz Laguna A, Chassagne M, Ceresuela J, Rouvet I, Padet S, Acquaviva C, et al. Complete loss of expression of the ANT1 gene causing cardiomyopathy and myopathy. J Med Genet. 2012;49:146-50 pubmed publisher..This report expands the clinical spectrum of ANT1-related human diseases, and emphasises the crucial role of the mitochondrial ADP/ATP carriers in muscle function and pathophysiology of human myopathies. ..
- Barca E, Aguennouz M, Mazzeo A, Messina S, Toscano A, Vita G, et al. ANT1 is reduced in sporadic inclusion body myositis. Neurol Sci. 2013;34:217-24 pubmed publisher..Normal ANT1 expression in PM could be related to the scarcity of mitochondrial abnormalities in the disease, but it could also suggest that these two conditions diverge in activating different anti-apoptotic pathways. ..
- Valdiglesias V, Fernandez Tajes J, Costa C, Mendez J, Pasaro E, Laffon B. Alterations in metabolism-related genes induced in SHSY5Y cells by okadaic acid exposure. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2012;75:844-56 pubmed publisher..However, other OA-induced affected genes can not be ruled out, and further studies are required to more comprehensively characterize in the mechanisms of OA-induced interaction on cell metabolism. ..
- Visser W, van Roermund C, Waterham H, Wanders R. Identification of human PMP34 as a peroxisomal ATP transporter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;299:494-7 pubmed..Furthermore, we have purified PMP34, reconstituted the protein in proteoliposomes, and provide direct proof that PMP34 is an adenine nucleotide transporter. ..
- Subramaniam V, Golik P, Murdock D, Levy S, Kerstann K, Coskun P, et al. MITOCHIP assessment of differential gene expression in the skeletal muscle of Ant1 knockout mice: coordinate regulation of OXPHOS, antioxidant, and apoptotic genes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1777:666-75 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the Ant1-/- mouse skeletal muscle demonstrates that energy metabolism, antioxidant defenses, and apoptosis form an integrated metabolic network. ..
- Gonzalez Vioque E, Blazquez A, Fernandez Moreira D, Bornstein B, Bautista J, Arpa J, et al. Association of novel POLG mutations and multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions with variable clinical phenotypes in a Spanish population. Arch Neurol. 2006;63:107-11 pubmed..Molecular studies in the POLG gene should be addressed in patients with mitochondrial disease, particularly in those with PEO, and multiple mtDNA deletions. ..
- Zamzami N, Larochette N, Kroemer G. Mitochondrial permeability transition in apoptosis and necrosis. Cell Death Differ. 2005;12 Suppl 2:1478-80 pubmed
- Walther T, Tschope C, Sterner Kock A, Westermann D, Heringer Walther S, Riad A, et al. Accelerated mitochondrial adenosine diphosphate/adenosine triphosphate transport improves hypertension-induced heart disease. Circulation. 2007;115:333-44 pubmed..Myocardial ANT1 overexpression protects against hypertension-induced cardiac pathology. Thus, the improvement in mitochondrial function may be a basic principle for new strategies in treating heart disease. ..
- Dmitriev L. The involvement of lipid radical cycles and the adenine nucleotide translocator in neurodegenerative diseases. J Alzheimers Dis. 2007;11:183-90 pubmed..gt;LOOH) with two reactive secondary products: malondialdehyde and methylglyoxal. Our future aim is to develop a more detailed model supplemented by the formation of lipofuscin and amyloid structures. ..
- Bhangoo M, Tzankov S, Fan A, Dejgaard K, Thomas D, Young J. Multiple 40-kDa heat-shock protein chaperones function in Tom70-dependent mitochondrial import. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3414-28 pubmed..The Hsp90 cochaperones p23 and Aha1 also regulated Hsp90-preprotein interactions. We suggest that multiple cochaperones with similar yet partially specialized properties cooperate in optimal chaperone-preprotein complexes. ..
- Tang C, Sula M, Bohnet S, Rehman A, Taishi P, Krueger J. Interleukin-1beta induces CREB-binding protein (CBP) mRNA in brain and the sequencing of rat CBP. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005;137:213-22 pubmed..We conclude that rat CBP shares many of the functional domains as human and murine CBP and that IL-1 upregulates genes previously associated with learning and sleep. ..
- Thomas A, Rey M, Aubry L, Pelosi L. A hybrid model to study pathological mutations of the human ADP/ATP carriers. Biochimie. 2011;93:1415-23 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the mechanisms responsible for the diseases induced by HAnc1p mutations. ..
- De Marcos Lousa C, Trezeguet V, David C, Postis V, Arnou B, Pebay Peyroula E, et al. Valine 181 is critical for the nucleotide exchange activity of human mitochondrial ADP/ATP carriers in yeast. Biochemistry. 2005;44:4342-8 pubmed..These results are discussed in the light of the bovine Ancp structure, that shares more than 90% amino acid identity with Hancps, and its interaction with the lipid environment. ..
- Forlani G, Giarda E, Ala U, Di Cunto F, Salani M, Tupler R, et al. The MeCP2/YY1 interaction regulates ANT1 expression at 4q35: novel hints for Rett syndrome pathogenesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:3114-23 pubmed publisher..As both ANT1 mutations and overexpression have been associated with human diseases, we consider it highly relevant to address the consequences of ANT1 deregulation in Rett syndrome. ..
- Morava E, Sengers R, Ter Laak H, Van Den Heuvel L, Janssen A, Trijbels F, et al. Congenital hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, cataract, mitochondrial myopathy and defective oxidative phosphorylation in two siblings with Sengers-like syndrome. Eur J Pediatr. 2004;163:467-71 pubmed..A mitochondrial adenine nucleotide translocator 1 (ANT1) defect was detected since the ANT1 protein was not detectable by immmunoblotting in muscle ..
- Zhang L, Yue H, Wu S, Xu L, Zhang H, Yan H, et al. Transport stress in broilers. II. Superoxide production, adenosine phosphate concentrations, and mRNA levels of avian uncoupling protein, avian adenine nucleotide translocator, and avian peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1a. Poult Sci. 2010;89:393-400 pubmed publisher..A long-term recovery may help alleviate cellular damage and maintain meat quality by reducing the rate of energy metabolism and scavenging of free radicals formed. ..
- Won J, Park J, Kim Y, Koh E, Seol S, Jeon B, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1-alpha overexpression prevents endothelial apoptosis by increasing ATP/ADP translocase activity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:290-7 pubmed publisher..Measures to increase PGC-1alpha expression or ATP/ADP translocase activity in vascular cells may aid in the prevention or treatment of atherosclerosis. ..
- Nebigil C, Etienne N, Messaddeq N, Maroteaux L. Serotonin is a novel survival factor of cardiomyocytes: mitochondria as a target of 5-HT2B receptor signaling. FASEB J. 2003;17:1373-5 pubmed..These findings identify 5-HT as a novel survival factor targeting mitochondria in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Lim C, Hamazaki T, Braun E, Wade J, Terada N. Evolutionary genomics implies a specific function of Ant4 in mammalian and anole lizard male germ cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23122 pubmed publisher..Taken together with the fact that Ant4 protein has a uniquely conserved structure when compared to other somatic Ant1, 2 and 3, there may be a specific advantage for mammals and lizards to express Ant4 in their male germ cells...
- Shabalina I, Kramarova T, Nedergaard J, Cannon B. Carboxyatractyloside effects on brown-fat mitochondria imply that the adenine nucleotide translocator isoforms ANT1 and ANT2 may be responsible for basal and fatty-acid-induced uncoupling respectively. Biochem J. 2006;399:405-14 pubmed..The data are therefore compatible with a tentative model in which the ANT2 isoform mediates fatty-acid-induced uncoupling, whereas the ANT1 isoform may mediate a significant part of the high basal proton leak in brown-fat mitochondria. ..
- Andersen J, Dehart J, Zimmerman E, Ardon O, Kim B, Jacquot G, et al. HIV-1 Vpr-induced apoptosis is cell cycle dependent and requires Bax but not ANT. PLoS Pathog. 2006;2:e127 pubmed
- Castanha Zanoli J, Maioli M, Medeiros H, Mingatto F. Abamectin affects the bioenergetics of liver mitochondria: A potential mechanism of hepatotoxicity. Toxicol In Vitro. 2012;26:51-6 pubmed publisher..This effect could be involved in the ABA toxicity to hepatocytes. ..
- Arvier M, Lagoutte L, Johnson G, Dumas J, Sion B, Grizard G, et al. Adenine nucleotide translocator promotes oxidative phosphorylation and mild uncoupling in mitochondria after dexamethasone treatment. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;293:E1320-4 pubmed..In conclusion, dexamethasone increases mitochondrial capacity to generate ATP by modifying ANT and ATP synthase. The side effect is an increased leak in nonphosphorylating conditions. ..
- Ermak G, Sojitra S, Yin F, Cadenas E, Cuervo A, Davies K. Chronic expression of RCAN1-1L protein induces mitochondrial autophagy and metabolic shift from oxidative phosphorylation to glycolysis in neuronal cells. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:14088-98 pubmed publisher..They also suggest that RCAN1s are important players in autophagy and such elusive phenomena as the mitochondrial permeability transition pore. ..
- Wang Z, Liao Y, Yuan J, Zhang L, Wang M, Zhang J, et al. A therapeutic anti-CD4 monoclonal antibody inhibits T cell receptor signal transduction in mouse autoimmune cardiomyopathy. Chin Med J (Engl). 2007;120:1319-25 pubmed..The results show that anti-CD4 mAb is a powerful inhibitor of the early initiating events of T cell receptor (TCR) signal transduction in mouse autoimmune dilated cardiomyopathy. ..
- Bogazzi F, Raggi F, Ultimieri F, Russo D, Manariti A, D Alessio A, et al. Cardiac expression of adenine nucleotide translocase-1 in transgenic mice overexpressing bovine GH. J Endocrinol. 2007;194:521-7 pubmed..This study demonstrated a direct effect of GH on key proteins involved in energy metabolism of acromegalic hearts. ..
- Bellanti F, Romano A, Giudetti A, Rollo T, Blonda M, Tamborra R, et al. Many faces of mitochondrial uncoupling during age: damage or defense?. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013;68:892-902 pubmed publisher..This does not occur in liver, where ATP depletion and oxidative stress may stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis and eliminate damaged cells. ..
- El Khoury R, Sainsard Chanet A. Suppression of mitochondrial DNA instability of autosomal dominant forms of progressive external ophthalmoplegia-associated ANT1 mutations in Podospora anserina. Genetics. 2009;183:861-71 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the mtDNA instability caused by the S296M mutation was not suppressed by these alleles. ..
- Jang J, Choi Y, Jeon Y, Aung K, Kim C. Over-expression of adenine nucleotide translocase 1 (ANT1) induces apoptosis and tumor regression in vivo. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:160 pubmed publisher..Moreover, ANT1 transfection significantly suppressed tumor growth in vivo. Our results suggest that ANT1 transfection may be a useful therapeutic modality for the treatment of cancer. ..
- Okamoto T, Higuchi K, Shinkawa T, Isobe T, Lörz H, Koshiba T, et al. Identification of major proteins in maize egg cells. Plant Cell Physiol. 2004;45:1406-12 pubmed