Genomes and Genes
proton translocating atpases
Summary: Multisubunit enzymes that reversibly synthesize ADENOSINE TRIPHOSPHATE. They are coupled to the transport of protons across a membrane.
- Fukumura K, Kato A, Jin Y, Ideue T, Hirose T, Kataoka N, et al. Tissue-specific splicing regulator Fox-1 induces exon skipping by interfering E complex formation on the downstream intron of human F1gamma gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:5303-11 pubmed..In addition, we located a region of the Fox-1 protein that is required for inducing exon skipping. Taken together, our data show a novel mechanism of how RNA-binding proteins regulate alternative splicing. ..
- Ariga T, Muneyuki E, Yoshida M. F1-ATPase rotates by an asymmetric, sequential mechanism using all three catalytic subunits. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:841-6 pubmed
- Furuike S, Hossain M, Maki Y, Adachi K, Suzuki T, Kohori A, et al. Axle-less F1-ATPase rotates in the correct direction. Science. 2008;319:955-8 pubmed publisher..Neither a fixed pivot nor a rigid axle was needed for rotation of F1-ATPase. ..
- Watanabe R, Iino R, Shimabukuro K, Yoshida M, Noji H. Temperature-sensitive reaction intermediate of F1-ATPase. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:84-90 pubmed..Conversely, the addition of inorganic phosphate caused a pause at an angle of +80 degrees from that of the intermediate state. These observations strongly suggest that the newly found reaction intermediate is an ADP-releasing step. ..
- Fukuda T, Ohya Y, Ohta K. Conditional genomic rearrangement by designed meiotic recombination using VDE (PI-SceI) in yeast. Mol Genet Genomics. 2007;278:467-78 pubmed
- Niittyla T, Fuglsang A, Palmgren M, Frommer W, Schulze W. Temporal analysis of sucrose-induced phosphorylation changes in plasma membrane proteins of Arabidopsis. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2007;6:1711-26 pubmed..Relative quantification of phosphorylation changes by phosphoproteomics provides a means for identification of fast responses to external stimuli in plants as a basis for further functional characterization. ..
- Masaike T, Koyama Horibe F, Oiwa K, Yoshida M, Nishizaka T. Cooperative three-step motions in catalytic subunits of F(1)-ATPase correlate with 80 degrees and 40 degrees substep rotations. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:1326-33 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a previously undescribed set of beta conformations, open, closed and partially closed, is revealed in the ATP-waiting dwells. The present study thus bridges the gap between the chemical and mechanical steps in F(1)-ATPase. ..
- Fuglsang A, Guo Y, Cuin T, Qiu Q, Song C, Kristiansen K, et al. Arabidopsis protein kinase PKS5 inhibits the plasma membrane H+ -ATPase by preventing interaction with 14-3-3 protein. Plant Cell. 2007;19:1617-34 pubmed..These results suggest that PKS5 is part of a calcium-signaling pathway mediating PM H+ -ATPase regulation. ..
- Lyly A, Marjavaara S, Kyttälä A, Uusi Rauva K, Luiro K, Kopra O, et al. Deficiency of the INCL protein Ppt1 results in changes in ectopic F1-ATP synthase and altered cholesterol metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:1406-17 pubmed publisher..These data indicate neuron-specific changes for F(1)-complex in the Ppt1-deficient cells and give clues for a possible link between lipid metabolism and neurodegeneration in INCL. ..
- Wagner K, Rehling P, Sanjuán Szklarz L, Taylor R, Pfanner N, van der Laan M. Mitochondrial F1Fo-ATP synthase: the small subunits e and g associate with monomeric complexes to trigger dimerization. J Mol Biol. 2009;392:855-61 pubmed publisher..We conclude that association of Su e and Su g with monomeric F(1)F(o)-ATP synthase represents an initial step of oligomer formation. ..
- Furuike S, Adachi K, Sakaki N, Shimo Kon R, Itoh H, Muneyuki E, et al. Temperature dependence of the rotation and hydrolysis activities of F1-ATPase. Biophys J. 2008;95:761-70 pubmed publisher..Rapid inactivation at high temperatures is consistent with the physiological role of this enzyme, ATP synthesis, in the thermophile. ..
- Marten H, Hedrich R, Roelfsema M. Blue light inhibits guard cell plasma membrane anion channels in a phototropin-dependent manner. Plant J. 2007;50:29-39 pubmed..These results show that blue light inhibits plasma membrane anion channels through a pathway involving phototropins, in addition to the stimulation of guard cell plasma membrane H(+)-ATPases. ..
- Bowler M, Montgomery M, Leslie A, Walker J. Ground state structure of F1-ATPase from bovine heart mitochondria at 1.9 A resolution. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:14238-42 pubmed..Thus, the structure with bound azide represents the ADP inhibited state of the enzyme, and the new structure represents a ground state intermediate in the active catalytic cycle of ATP hydrolysis. ..
- Muneyuki E, Watanabe Nakayama T, Suzuki T, Yoshida M, Nishizaka T, Noji H. Single molecule energetics of F1-ATPase motor. Biophys J. 2007;92:1806-12 pubmed..The results imply that microscopically defined work at a single molecule level cannot be directly compared with macroscopically defined free energy input. ..
- Takemiya A, Kinoshita T, Asanuma M, Shimazaki K. Protein phosphatase 1 positively regulates stomatal opening in response to blue light in Vicia faba. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13549-54 pubmed..However, tautomycin did not inhibit the blue light-dependent phosphorylation of phototropins. We conclude that PP1 functions downstream of phototropins and upstream of the H(+)-ATPase in the blue light signaling pathway of guard cells. ..
- Dimroth P, von Ballmoos C, Meier T. Catalytic and mechanical cycles in F-ATP synthases. Fourth in the Cycles Review Series. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:276-82 pubmed
- Cleary J, Johnson K, Opipari A, Glick G. Inhibition of the mitochondrial F1F0-ATPase by ligands of the peripheral benzodiazepine receptor. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2007;17:1667-70 pubmed..Importantly, our data indicate that cellular responses observed with micromolar concentrations of PK11195, which are commonly attributed to modulation of the PBR, are likely a direct result of mitochondrial F(1)F(0)-ATPase inhibition. ..
- Zhang X, Takemiya A, Kinoshita T, Shimazaki K. Nitric oxide inhibits blue light-specific stomatal opening via abscisic acid signaling pathways in Vicia guard cells. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:715-23 pubmed..From these results, we conclude that both NO and H(2)O(2) inhibit blue light-induced activation of H(+)-ATPase by inhibiting the component(s) between phototropins and H(+)-ATPase in guard cells and stimulate stomatal closure by ABA...
- Hossain M, Furuike S, Maki Y, Adachi K, Ali M, Huq M, et al. The rotor tip inside a bearing of a thermophilic F1-ATPase is dispensable for torque generation. Biophys J. 2006;90:4195-203 pubmed..For torque generation, though not for rapid catalysis, most of the rotor-stator contacts on the deeper half of the penetrating portion of the gamma-subunit are dispensable. ..
- Chi S, Pizzo S. Cell surface F1Fo ATP synthase: a new paradigm?. Ann Med. 2006;38:429-38 pubmed..This review addresses the expression, interactions, functions, and consequences of inhibition of cell surface ATP synthase, an enzyme now displaying a shift in paradigm, as well as of location. ..
- Christian M, Steffens B, Schenck D, Burmester S, Bottger M, Luthen H. How does auxin enhance cell elongation? Roles of auxin-binding proteins and potassium channels in growth control. Plant Biol (Stuttg). 2006;8:346-52 pubmed..Models are proposed to explain how membrane transport (e.g., K+ and H+ fluxes) can act as a cross-linker for the control of more complex auxin responses such as the classical stimulation of cell elongation. ..
- Janicka Russak M, Kłobus G. Modification of plasma membrane and vacuolar H+ -ATPases in response to NaCL and ABA. J Plant Physiol. 2007;164:295-302 pubmed..These data have provided evidence that under salt stress conditions, the role of ABA action due to salinity on the induction of the PM-H(+)-ATPase could be at the level of gene expression. ..
- Fukuda T, Ohta K, Ohya Y. Investigation of the mechanism of meiotic DNA cleavage by VMA1-derived endonuclease uncovers a meiotic alteration in chromatin structure around the target site. Eukaryot Cell. 2006;5:981-90 pubmed..This suggests that nucleosome positioning or occupancy around the VRS by itself is not the sole mechanism for the regulation of meiosis-specific DNA cleavage by VDE and that other mechanisms are involved in the regulation. ..
- Ottmann C, Marco S, Jaspert N, Marcon C, Schauer N, Weyand M, et al. Structure of a 14-3-3 coordinated hexamer of the plant plasma membrane H+ -ATPase by combining X-ray crystallography and electron cryomicroscopy. Mol Cell. 2007;25:427-40 pubmed..Fitting of 14-3-3 and H(+)-ATPase atomic structures into the 3D reconstruction map suggests the spatial arrangement of the holocomplex. ..
- Bulygin V, Milgrom Y. Studies of nucleotide binding to the catalytic sites of Escherichia coli betaY331W-F1-ATPase using fluorescence quenching. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4327-31 pubmed..Many previous results of fluorescence quenching of introduced tryptophans appear to require reinterpretation. Our findings support a bi-site catalytic mechanism for F(1)-ATPase. ..
- Bowser D, Khakh B. Vesicular ATP is the predominant cause of intercellular calcium waves in astrocytes. J Gen Physiol. 2007;129:485-91 pubmed..In contrast, metabotropic glutamate receptors and gap junctions do not contribute significantly to calcium wave propagation. Our data suggest that endogenous extracellular astrocytic ATP can signal over broad spatiotemporal scales. ..
- Castanheira D, Santana E, Godoy Santos F, Diniz R, Faria Oliveira F, Pereira R, et al. Lpx1p links glucose-induced calcium signaling and plasma membrane H+-ATPase activation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells. FEMS Yeast Res. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Therefore, after its activation, Lpx1p would hydrolyze the acetylated tubulin making the plasma membrane H+-ATPase phosphorylation accessible for at least one protein kinase...
- Sun J, Chen S, Dai S, Wang R, Li N, Shen X, et al. NaCl-induced alternations of cellular and tissue ion fluxes in roots of salt-resistant and salt-sensitive poplar species. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:1141-53 pubmed publisher..The pattern of NaCl-induced fluxes of H+, Na+, and Cl- differs from that caused by isomotic mannitol in P. euphratica roots, suggesting that NaCl-induced alternations of root ion fluxes are mainly the result of ion-specific effects. ..
- VolkÃ¡n KacsÃ³ S, Marcus R. Theory for rates, equilibrium constants, and BrÃ¸nsted slopes in F1-ATPase single molecule imaging experiments. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:14230-5 pubmed publisher..Reasonable agreement is found with stalling experiments for ATP and GTP binding. The model can be applied to other torque-generating steps of reversible ligand binding, such as ADP and Pi release, when sufficient data become available. ..
- Ding J, Huang X, Zhang L, Zhao N, Yang D, Zhang K. Tolerance and stress response to ethanol in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2009;85:253-63 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the recent progresses in our understanding of ethanol resistance and stress responses in yeast. ..
- Kish Trier E, Wilkens S. Domain architecture of the stator complex of the A1A0-ATP synthase from Thermoplasma acidophilum. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12031-40 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose a structural model of the A-ATPase peripheral stalk...
- Boonyom R, Karavolos M, Bulmer D, Khan C. Salmonella pathogenicity island 1 (SPI-1) type III secretion of SopD involves N- and C-terminal signals and direct binding to the InvC ATPase. Microbiology. 2010;156:1805-14 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that T3S of SopD involves multiple signals and protein interactions, providing important mechanistic insights into effector protein secretion. ..
- York J, Spetzler D, Hornung T, Ishmukhametov R, Martin J, Frasch W. Abundance of Escherichia coli F1-ATPase molecules observed to rotate via single-molecule microscopy with gold nanorod probes. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2007;39:435-9 pubmed..These data indicate that rotational measurements made using gold nanorods provide information of the F1-ATPase mechanism that is representative of the characteristics of the enzyme population as a whole. ..
- Korzick D, Kostyak J, Hunter J, Saupe K. Local delivery of PKCepsilon-activating peptide mimics ischemic preconditioning in aged hearts through GSK-3beta but not F1-ATPase inactivation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H2056-63 pubmed
- Chen J, Wang W, Wu F, He E, Liu X, Shangguan Z, et al. Hydrogen sulfide enhances salt tolerance through nitric oxide-mediated maintenance of ion homeostasis in barley seedling roots. Sci Rep. 2015;5:12516 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that H2S increased salt tolerance by maintaining ion homeostasis, which were mediated by the NO signal. ..
- Vandewalle A, Cluzeaud F, Peng K, Bens M, Lüchow A, Gunther W, et al. Tissue distribution and subcellular localization of the ClC-5 chloride channel in rat intestinal cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001;280:C373-81 pubmed..Thus these results indicate that ClC-5 is present in the small intestine and colon of rats and suggest that it plays a role in the endocytotic pathways of intestinal cells...
- Sharma S, Wilkens S. Biolayer interferometry of lipid nanodisc-reconstituted yeast vacuolar H+ -ATPase. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1070-1079 pubmed publisher..We show that V1 V0 ND can be immobilized on streptavidin-coated BLI sensors to quantitate binding of a pathogen derived inhibitor and to measure the kinetics of nucleotide dependent enzyme dissociation. ..
- Nakanishi Matsui M, Sekiya M, Futai M. ATP synthase from Escherichia coli: Mechanism of rotational catalysis, and inhibition with the Îµ subunit and phytopolyphenols. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1857:129-140 pubmed publisher..The effects of phytopolyphenols on F1-ATPase are also discussed: one of them, piceatannol, lowered the rotational speed by affecting rotor/stator interactions. ..
- Enoki S, Watanabe R, Iino R, Noji H. Single-molecule study on the temperature-sensitive reaction of F1-ATPase with a hybrid F1 carrying a single beta(E190D). J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23169-76 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the TS reaction is a structural rearrangement of beta before or after ATP binding. ..
- Lee J, Cho W, Shin L, Jena B. Involvement of cholesterol in synaptic vesicle swelling. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010;235:470-7 pubmed publisher..Our study further demonstrates that this effect of cholesterol is due, in part, to its involvement in the interactions between AQP-6, vH(+)-ATPase and the GTP-binding G(alpha o) protein at the synaptic vesicle membrane. ..
- Takemiya A, Shimazaki K. Phosphatidic acid inhibits blue light-induced stomatal opening via inhibition of protein phosphatase 1 [corrected]. Plant Physiol. 2010;153:1555-62 pubmed publisher..From these results, we conclude that PA inhibits blue light signaling in guard cells by PP1c inhibition, accelerating stomatal closure, and that PP1 is a cross talk point between blue light and ABA signaling pathways in guard cells. ..
- Hu D, Sun C, Ma Q, You C, Cheng L, Hao Y. MdMYB1 Regulates Anthocyanin and Malate Accumulation by Directly Facilitating Their Transport into Vacuoles in Apples. Plant Physiol. 2016;170:1315-30 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insights into how MYB transcription factors directly modulate the vacuolar transport system in addition to anthocyanin biosynthesis, consequently controlling organ coloration and cell pH in plants. ..
- Platonova T, Ladyzhenskaia E, Evsiunina A, Lagutina N, Korableva N. [Effect of melafen on the function of endoplasmic reticulum and plasmalemmal H+ -ATPase in the regulation of growth processes in potato tubers]. Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol. 2008;44:468-75 pubmed..In vitro studies showed that melafen at concentrations of 10(-5-10-12) M stimulated the activity of plasmalemmal H+-ATPase in a concentration-dependent manner. ..
- Vonck J, Pisa K, Morgner N, Brutschy B, Muller V. Three-dimensional structure of A1A0 ATP synthase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus by electron microscopy. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:10110-9 pubmed publisher..X-ray structures of subunits from related proteins were fitted to the map. On the basis of the fitting and the LILBID analysis, a structural model is presented with the stoichiometry A(3)B(3)CDE(2)FH(2)ac(10). ..
- Emruli V, Olsson R, Ek F, Ek S. Identification of V-ATPase as a molecular sensor of SOX11-levels and potential therapeutic target for mantle cell lymphoma. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:493 pubmed publisher..The plasma membrane localization of V-ATPase indicates that pH regulation of the immediate extracellular compartment may be of importance for receptor functionality and potentially invasiveness in vivo. ..
- Vantourout P, Martinez L, Fabre A, Collet X, Champagne E. Ecto-F1-ATPase and MHC-class I close association on cell membranes. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:485-92 pubmed..This demonstrates that the TCR target F1-ATPase is in close contact with MHC-I antigens which are known to control Vgamma9/Vdelta2 T cell activity through binding to natural killer inhibitory receptors. ..
- Zhang J, Wei J, Li D, Kong X, Rengel Z, Chen L, et al. The Role of the Plasma Membrane H+-ATPase in Plant Responses to Aluminum Toxicity. Front Plant Sci. 2017;8:1757 pubmed publisher..In this review, we critically assess the available knowledge on the role of the plasma membrane H+-ATPase in plant responses to Al stress, incorporating physiological and molecular aspects...
- Fukumura K, Taniguchi I, Sakamoto H, Ohno M, Inoue K. U1-independent pre-mRNA splicing contributes to the regulation of alternative splicing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:1907-14 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that U1-independent splicing contributes to the regulation of alternative splicing of a class of pre-mRNAs. ..
- van den Berg van Saparoea H, Lubelski J, van Merkerk R, Mazurkiewicz P, Driessen A. Proton motive force-dependent Hoechst 33342 transport by the ABC transporter LmrA of Lactococcus lactis. Biochemistry. 2005;44:16931-8 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that the LmrA-mediated Hoechst 33342 transport in membrane vesicles is influenced by the transmembrane pH gradient due to a pH-dependent partitioning of Hoechst 33342 into the membrane...
- Liu J, Elmore J, Fuglsang A, Palmgren M, Staskawicz B, Coaker G. RIN4 functions with plasma membrane H+-ATPases to regulate stomatal apertures during pathogen attack. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000139 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the Arabidopsis protein RIN4 functions with the PM H(+)-ATPase to regulate stomatal apertures, inhibiting the entry of bacterial pathogens into the plant leaf during infection. ..
- Wang P, Wang L, Sha J, Lou G, Lu N, Hang B, et al. Expression and Transcriptional Regulation of Human ATP6V1A Gene in Gastric Cancers. Sci Rep. 2017;7:3015 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, YY1 may play an important regulatory role in ATP6V1A expression with potential mechanistic and clinical implications in GC. ..
- Chen H, Zhang Q, Cai H, Xu F. Ethylene Mediates Alkaline-Induced Rice Growth Inhibition by Negatively Regulating Plasma Membrane H+-ATPase Activity in Roots. Front Plant Sci. 2017;8:1839 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that H+-ATPase is involved in ethylene-mediated inhibition of rice growth under alkaline stress...