Genomes and Genes
proton phosphate symporters
Summary: Proteins that cotransport hydrogen ions and phosphate ions across cellular membranes.
- Gagneur J, Sinha H, Perocchi F, Bourgon R, Huber W, Steinmetz L. Genome-wide allele- and strand-specific expression profiling. Mol Syst Biol. 2009;5:274 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the first high-resolution analysis of differential expression on all four strands of an eukaryotic genome. ..
- Pratt J, Mouillon J, Lagerstedt J, Pattison Granberg J, Lundh K, Persson B. Effects of methylphosphonate, a phosphate analogue, on the expression and degradation of the high-affinity phosphate transporter Pho84, in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry. 2004;43:14444-53 pubmed..Altogether, these observations suggest that the Pho84 transporter is regulated not only at the transcriptional level but also by a direct molecule-sensing mechanism at the protein level. ..
- Petersson J, Pattison J, Kruckeberg A, Berden J, Persson B. Intracellular localization of an active green fluorescent protein-tagged Pho84 phosphate permease in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 1999;462:37-42 pubmed..By use of the methodology described, GFP should be useful in studies of localization and degradation also of other membrane proteins in vivo. ..
- Shukla A, Stanojevic N, Duan Z, Sen P, Bhaumik S. Ubp8p, a histone deubiquitinase whose association with SAGA is mediated by Sgf11p, differentially regulates lysine 4 methylation of histone H3 in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3339-52 pubmed..Collectively, the data show that Ubp8p differentially controls H3-K4 methylation at the SAGA-dependent promoters, revealing a complex regulatory network of histone methylation in vivo. ..
- Azevedo H, Conde C, Gerós H, Tavares R. The non-host pathogen Botrytis cinerea enhances glucose transport in Pinus pinaster suspension-cultured cells. Plant Cell Physiol. 2006;47:290-8 pubmed..In contrast, the increase of glucose transport activity induced by sugar starvation was dependent on the activation of MAPK but not NADPH oxidase. Both responses appeared to be dependent on de novo transcription and protein synthesis. ..
- Auesukaree C, Homma T, Tochio H, Shirakawa M, Kaneko Y, Harashima S. Intracellular phosphate serves as a signal for the regulation of the PHO pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:17289-94 pubmed
- Grund S, Fischer T, Cabal G, Antúnez O, Pérez Ortín J, Hurt E. The inner nuclear membrane protein Src1 associates with subtelomeric genes and alters their regulated gene expression. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:897-910 pubmed publisher..Our data show that the inner nuclear membrane protein Src1 functions at the interface between subtelomeric gene expression and TREX-dependent messenger RNA export through the nuclear pore complexes. ..
- Shokrollahzadeh S, Bonakdarpour B, Vahabzadeh F, Sanati M. Growth kinetics and Pho84 phosphate transporter activity of Saccharomyces cerevisiae under phosphate-limited conditions. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;34:17-25 pubmed..Phosphate transport activity mediated by Pho84 transporter was highest at very low dilution rates, i.e. 0.08-0.1 h(-1), corresponding to conditions in which the amount of synthesized Pho84 was at its maximum. ..
- Lagerstedt J, Reeve I, Voss J, Persson B. Structure and function of the GTP binding protein Gtr1 and its role in phosphate transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry. 2005;44:511-7 pubmed..In contrast, the spectra obtained for the C-terminal part (residues 186-310) displayed no evidence of conformational changes upon GTP addition. ..
- Thomas M, O Shea E. An intracellular phosphate buffer filters transient fluctuations in extracellular phosphate levels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:9565-70 pubmed
- Lundh F, Mouillon J, Samyn D, Stadler K, Popova Y, Lagerstedt J, et al. Molecular mechanisms controlling phosphate-induced downregulation of the yeast Pho84 phosphate transporter. Biochemistry. 2009;48:4497-505 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Pho84-mediated activation of the PKA pathway is responsible for its own downregulation by phosphorylation, ubiquination, internalization, and vacuolar breakdown. ..
- Hughes R, Lo R, Davis C, Strand A, Neal C, Olson J, et al. Altered transcription in yeast expressing expanded polyglutamine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13201-6 pubmed..These results suggest a therapeutic approach for treatment of polyglutamine diseases and provide the potential for yeast-based screens for agents that reverse polyglutamine toxicity. ..
- Berhe A, Zvyagilskaya R, Lagerstedt J, Pratt J, Persson B. Properties of the cysteine-less Pho84 phosphate transporter of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;287:837-42 pubmed
- Lau W, Howson R, Malkus P, Schekman R, O Shea E. Pho86p, an endoplasmic reticulum (ER) resident protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is required for ER exit of the high-affinity phosphate transporter Pho84p. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:1107-12 pubmed..Interestingly, the requirement of Pho86p for ER exit is specific to Pho84p, because other members of the hexose transporter family to which Pho84 belongs are not mislocalized in the absence of Pho86p. ..
- Rowat A, Bird J, Agresti J, Rando O, Weitz D. Tracking lineages of single cells in lines using a microfluidic device. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18149-54 pubmed publisher..This method is an essential step toward understanding the time scales of phenotypic variation and correlations in phenotype among single cells within a population. ..
- Popova Y, Thayumanavan P, Lonati E, Agrochão M, Thevelein J. Transport and signaling through the phosphate-binding site of the yeast Pho84 phosphate transceptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:2890-5 pubmed publisher..Our results provide to the best of our knowledge the first insight into the molecular mechanism of a phosphate transceptor. ..
- Okumura S, Mitsukawa N, Shirano Y, Shibata D. Phosphate transporter gene family of Arabidopsis thaliana. DNA Res. 1998;5:261-9 pubmed..The PHT4 transcript was expressed at similar levels in the mutant and wild-type. These results demonstrate that neither PHT4 nor PHT5 is allelic to PHO2. ..
- Lazard M, Blanquet S, Fisicaro P, Labarraque G, Plateau P. Uptake of selenite by Saccharomyces cerevisiae involves the high and low affinity orthophosphate transporters. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:32029-37 pubmed publisher..The properties of phosphate and selenite transport enable us to propose an explanation to the paradoxical increase of selenite toxicity when phosphate concentration in the growth medium is raised above 1 mm. ..
- Camblong J, Beyrouthy N, Guffanti E, Schlaepfer G, Steinmetz L, Stutz F. Trans-acting antisense RNAs mediate transcriptional gene cosuppression in S. cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1534-45 pubmed publisher..All together our data highlight the importance of noncoding RNAs in mediating RNAi-independent transcriptional gene silencing. ..
- Ertel F, Dirac Svejstrup A, Hertel C, Blaschke D, Svejstrup J, Korber P. In vitro reconstitution of PHO5 promoter chromatin remodeling points to a role for activator-nucleosome competition in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4060-76 pubmed publisher..These data establish an auxiliary role for DNA binding competition between Pho4 and histones in PHO5 promoter chromatin remodeling in vivo. ..
- Prie D, Beck L, Friedlander G, Silve C. Sodium-phosphate cotransporters, nephrolithiasis and bone demineralization. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2004;13:675-81 pubmed..We discuss how recent findings obtained in disorders of phosphate metabolism in humans and in animal models have provided insights into the pathogenesis of renal stone formation and bone demineralization...
- Giots F, Donaton M, Thevelein J. Inorganic phosphate is sensed by specific phosphate carriers and acts in concert with glucose as a nutrient signal for activation of the protein kinase A pathway in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2003;47:1163-81 pubmed
- Martinez P, Zvyagilskaya R, Allard P, Persson B. Physiological regulation of the derepressible phosphate transporter in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2253-6 pubmed..The Pho84 transporter undergoes a rapid degradation once the supply of phosphate and/or carbon source is exhausted. ..
- Persson B, Berhe A, Fristedt U, Martinez P, Pattison J, Petersson J, et al. Phosphate permeases of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1365:23-30 pubmed..The Pho84 transporter can be stably overproduced in the cytoplasmic membrane of Escherichia coli, purified and reconstituted in a functional state into proteoliposomes. ..
- Fristedt U, Weinander R, Martinsson H, Persson B. Characterization of purified and unidirectionally reconstituted Pho84 phosphate permease of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 1999;458:1-5 pubmed..Site-specific proteolysis of the immunoreactive N-terminal sequence in the reconstituted protein suggests a unidirectional insertion into liposomes. ..
- Fristedt U, van der Rest M, Poolman B, Konings W, Persson B. Studies of cytochrome c oxidase-driven H(+)-coupled phosphate transport catalyzed by the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pho84 permease in coreconstituted vesicles. Biochemistry. 1999;38:16010-5 pubmed..The metal dependency of transport indicates that a metal-phosphate complex is the translocated substrate. ..
- Wykoff D, O Shea E. Phosphate transport and sensing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2001;159:1491-9 pubmed..Finally, a PHO84-dependent compensation response was identified; the abundance of Pho84p at the plasma membrane increases in cells that are defective in other phosphate transporters. ..
- Lagerstedt J, Zvyagilskaya R, Pratt J, Pattison Granberg J, Kruckeberg A, Berden J, et al. Mutagenic and functional analysis of the C-terminus of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pho84 phosphate transporter. FEBS Lett. 2002;526:31-7 pubmed
- Mouillon J, Persson B. Inhibition of the protein kinase A alters the degradation of the high-affinity phosphate transporter Pho84 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2005;48:226-34 pubmed
- Jensen L, Ajua Alemanji M, Culotta V. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae high affinity phosphate transporter encoded by PHO84 also functions in manganese homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42036-40 pubmed..We conclude that Pho84p plays a role in manganese homeostasis predominantly under manganese surplus conditions and appears to be functioning as a low affinity metal transporter. ..
- Raser J, O Shea E. Control of stochasticity in eukaryotic gene expression. Science. 2004;304:1811-4 pubmed..These mutations suggest that noise is an evolvable trait that can be optimized to balance fidelity and diversity in eukaryotic gene expression. ..
- Carvin C, Kladde M. Effectors of lysine 4 methylation of histone H3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae are negative regulators of PHO5 and GAL1-10. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:33057-62 pubmed..These results suggest that H3 methylation at lysine 4, in conjunction with transcriptional elongation, may function in a negative feedback pathway for basal transcription of some genes, although being a positive effector at others. ..
- Leggewie G, Willmitzer L, Riesmeier J. Two cDNAs from potato are able to complement a phosphate uptake-deficient yeast mutant: identification of phosphate transporters from higher plants. Plant Cell. 1997;9:381-92 pubmed publisher..No expression was found under optimized nutrition conditions or when other macronutrients were lacking...
- Lagerstedt J, Voss J, Wieslander A, Persson B. Structural modeling of dual-affinity purified Pho84 phosphate transporter. FEBS Lett. 2004;578:262-8 pubmed..The line shape from labels located at both positions is consistent with the structural environment predicted by the template-generated model, thus supporting the model. ..
- Wongwisansri S, Laybourn P. Disruption of histone deacetylase gene RPD3 accelerates PHO5 activation kinetics through inappropriate Pho84p recycling. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1387-95 pubmed..We propose that Rpd3p has a negative role in the regulation of Pho84p endocytosis. ..
- Steger D, Haswell E, Miller A, Wente S, O Shea E. Regulation of chromatin remodeling by inositol polyphosphates. Science. 2003;299:114-6 pubmed..These results suggest a role for the small molecule inositol polyphosphate in the regulation of chromatin remodeling and transcription. ..
- Nishimura K, Yasumura K, Igarashi K, Harashima S, Kakinuma Y. Transcription of some PHO genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is regulated by spt7p. Yeast. 1999;15:1711-7 pubmed..Spt7p is thus linked with expression of several structural genes of the PHO regulon in yeast. ..
- Mouillon J, Persson B. New aspects on phosphate sensing and signalling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Res. 2006;6:171-6 pubmed..cerevisiae. The model describes in particular how yeast cells are able to adjust phosphate acquisition by integrating the status of the intracellular phosphate pools together with the extracellular phosphate concentration. ..