Genomes and Genes
Summary: A diverse family of extracellular proteins that bind to small hydrophobic molecules. They were originally characterized as transport proteins, however they may have additional roles such as taking part in the formation of macromolecular complexes with other proteins and binding to CELL SURFACE RECEPTORS.
- Yang H, Yim H, Cho Y, Kym D, Hur J, Kim J, et al. Assessment of biochemical markers in the early post-burn period for predicting acute kidney injury and mortality in patients with major burn injury: comparison of serum creatinine, serum cystatin-C, plasma and urine neutrophil gelatinase-associated l. Crit Care. 2014;18:R151 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the plasma and urine NGAL levels were independently associated with AKI development and mortality within 48 hours after admission. ..
- Frej C, Mendez A, Ruiz M, Castillo M, Hughes T, Dahlback B, et al. A Shift in ApoM/S1P Between HDL-Particles in Women With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Is Associated With Impaired Anti-Inflammatory Effects of the ApoM/S1P Complex. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1194-1205 pubmed publisher..T1D patients have a higher proportion of light particles and hence more dysfunctional HDL, which could contribute to the increased cardiovascular disease risk associated with T1D. ..
- Doi K, Urata M, Katagiri D, Inamori M, Murata S, Hisagi M, et al. Plasma neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in acute kidney injury superimposed on chronic kidney disease after cardiac surgery: a multicenter prospective study. Crit Care. 2013;17:R270 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is necessary to confirm these findings because this study examined a small number of patients. ..
- Di Somma S, Magrini L, De Berardinis B, Marino R, Ferri E, Moscatelli P, et al. Additive value of blood neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin to clinical judgement in acute kidney injury diagnosis and mortality prediction in patients hospitalized from the emergency department. Crit Care. 2013;17:R29 pubmed publisher..See related commentary by Legrand et al., http://ccforum.com/content/17/2/132. ..
- Plotnikov E, Pavlenko T, Pevzner I, Zorova L, Manskikh V, Silachev D, et al. The role of oxidative stress in acute renal injury of newborn rats exposed to hypoxia and endotoxin. FEBS J. 2017;284:3069-3078 pubmed publisher..Thus, the simulation of AKI in newborn rat pups can be employed in screening for potential nephroprotective drugs, particularly among antioxidative compounds to be used in neonatology. ..
- Ostermann M, Forni L. Measuring biomarkers of acute kidney injury during renal replacement therapy: wisdom or folly?. Crit Care. 2014;18:155 pubmed publisher..We describe a recent study which has provided data that may aid in addressing this issue. ..
- Foster M, Levey A, Inker L, Shafi T, Fan L, Gudnason V, et al. Non-GFR Determinants of Low-Molecular-Weight Serum Protein Filtration Markers in the Elderly: AGES-Kidney and MESA-Kidney. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:406-414 pubmed publisher..Both cystatin C and B2M levels may be affected by inflammation. These findings are important for the development and use of GFR estimating equations based on low-molecular-weight serum proteins throughout the range in GFRs. ..
- Sarafidis K, Tsepkentzi E, Diamanti E, Agakidou E, Taparkou A, Soubasi V, et al. Urine neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin to predict acute kidney injury in preterm neonates. A pilot study. Pediatr Nephrol. 2014;29:305-10 pubmed..In this pilot study in preterm neonates, although uNGAL detected sCre-based AKI upon its documentation, it failed to predict its development 1-2 days earlier. ..
- Lippi G, Meschi T, Nouvenne A, Mattiuzzi C, Borghi L. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in cancer. Adv Clin Chem. 2014;64:179-219 pubmed
- Ostermann M, Philips B, Forni L. Clinical review: Biomarkers of acute kidney injury: where are we now?. Crit Care. 2012;16:233 pubmed publisher..We outline the major studies described to date as well as discuss potential reasons for the discrepancies observed and suggest that evolution of the field may result in success with ultimately an improvement in patient outcomes. ..
- Hjortrup P, Haase N, Wetterslev M, Perner A. Clinical review: Predictive value of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin for acute kidney injury in intensive care patients. Crit Care. 2013;17:211 pubmed publisher..NGAL seems to have reasonable value in predicting use of renal replacement therapy but not mortality. ..
- Tian F, Wu C, Yu B, Liu L, Hu J. Apolipoprotein O expression in mouse liver enhances hepatic lipid accumulation by impairing mitochondrial function. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:8-14 pubmed publisher..These results establish a link between apoO and lipid accumulation and could suggest a new pathway for regulating non-alcoholic fatty liver disease progression. ..
- Fietta P, Delsante G. Focus on adipokines. Theor Biol Forum. 2013;106:103-29 pubmed..Comprehensive advances in understanding the WAT biology and signaling may provide crucial insights into the physiopathology of the whole body homeostasis. ..
- Matsa R, Ashley E, Sharma V, Walden A, Keating L. Plasma and urine neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in the diagnosis of new onset acute kidney injury in critically ill patients. Crit Care. 2014;18:R137 pubmed publisher..The accuracy of NGAL appeared to improve slightly as patients progressed through their ICU stay. Serial measurements of NGAL (both pNGAL and uNGAL) may be of added value in an ICU setting to predict the occurrence of AKI. ..
- Zeng X, Li J, Tan Y, Wang Z, He Y, Chang J, et al. Performance of urinary NGAL and L-FABP in predicting acute kidney injury and subsequent renal recovery: a cohort study based on major surgeries. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2014;52:671-8 pubmed publisher..70. Urinary NGAL and L-FABP can be used to detect AKI and combining NGAL and L-FABP may improve the diagnostic performance; however, NGAL and L-FABP may be poor predictors for renal recovery after AKI. ..
- Yamamoto K, Higashiura A, Suzuki M, Aritake K, Urade Y, Nakagawa A. Molecular structure of a prostaglandin D synthase requiring glutathione from the brown planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;492:166-171 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide insights into the mechanism of nlPGDS activity and potentially that of other insects and therefore may facilitate the development of more effective and safe insecticides. ..
- Ronco C. Biomarkers for acute kidney injury: is NGAL ready for clinical use?. Crit Care. 2014;18:680 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the opportunity to consider whether NGAL is ready for routine clinical use in a number of etiologies of AKI. ..
- Warszawska J, Gawish R, Sharif O, Sigel S, Doninger B, Lakovits K, et al. Lipocalin 2 deactivates macrophages and worsens pneumococcal pneumonia outcomes. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:3363-72 pubmed publisher..Our data emphasize the importance of macrophage deactivation for the outcome of pneumococcal infections and highlight the role of LCN2 and IL-10 as determinants of macrophage performance in the respiratory tract. ..
- Rullo O, Woo J, Parsa M, Hoftman A, Maranian P, Elashoff D, et al. Plasma levels of osteopontin identify patients at risk for organ damage in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R18 pubmed publisher..High circulating OPN levels preceded increased cumulative disease activity and organ damage in SLE patients, especially in pSLE, and its value as a predictor of poor outcome should be further validated in large longitudinal cohorts. ..
- Bagshaw S. Subclinical acute kidney injury: a novel biomarker-defined syndrome. Crit Care Resusc. 2011;13:201-3 pubmed
- Arulkumaran N, Sixma M, Jentho E, Ceravola E, Bass P, Kellum J, et al. Sequential Analysis of a Panel of Biomarkers and Pathologic Findings in a Resuscitated Rat Model of Sepsis and Recovery. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:e821-e830 pubmed publisher..These clinically relevant findings should have significant influence on future clinical testing. ..
- Umeyama H, Iwadate M, Taguchi Y. TINAGL1 and B3GALNT1 are potential therapy target genes to suppress metastasis in non-small cell lung cancer. BMC Genomics. 2014;15 Suppl 9:S2 pubmed publisher..These genes are potential target genes for the therapy of NSCLC. Among the eleven genes, TINAGL1 and B3GALNT1 are possible candidates for drug compounds that inhibit their gene expression. ..
- Surmiak P, Baumert M, Fiala M, Sypniewska K, Walencka Z, Łukomska A, et al. Umbilical cord blood NGAL concentration as an early marker of perinatal asphyxia in neonates. Ginekol Pol. 2014;85:424-7 pubmed..5 ng/mL vs. 24.3 ng/ mL p < 0.001) were elevated in asphyxiated newborns as compared to healthy children. The measurement of NGAL in the umbilical blood can be a valuable biomarker of perinatal asphyxia in neonates. ..