s100 calcium binding protein beta subunit
Summary: A calcium-binding protein that is 92 AA long, contains 2 EF-hand domains, and is concentrated mainly in GLIAL CELLS. Elevation of S100B levels in brain tissue correlates with a role in neurological disorders.
- Kuhlmann J, Wimberger P, Wilsch K, Fluck M, Suter L, Brunner G. Increased level of circulating U2 small nuclear RNA fragments indicates metastasis in melanoma patients. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2015;53:605-11 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a rationale for further defining clinical utility of circulating RNU2-1f in metastasis detection in the management of melanoma patients at risk of relapse and/or with advanced disease. ..
- Beaudeux J, Leger P, Dequen L, Gandjbakhch I, Coriat P, Foglietti M. Influence of hemolysis on the measurement of S-100beta protein and neuron-specific enolase plasma concentrations during coronary artery bypass grafting. Clin Chem. 2000;46:989-90 pubmed
- Haimoto H, Hosoda S, Kato K. Differential distribution of immunoreactive S100-alpha and S100-beta proteins in normal nonnervous human tissues. Lab Invest. 1987;57:489-98 pubmed..Based on the wide distribution and the characteristic differential localization, the possible biologic significance of S100 proteins and their application for diagnostic pathology were discussed. ..
- Haglid K, Yang Q, Hamberger A, Bergman S, Widerberg A, Danielsen N. S-100beta stimulates neurite outgrowth in the rat sciatic nerve grafted with acellular muscle transplants. Brain Res. 1997;753:196-201 pubmed..The results suggest that S-100beta is a physiological growth factor for peripheral nerve axons. ..
- Raabe A, Grolms C, Keller M, Döhnert J, Sorge O, Seifert V. Correlation of computed tomography findings and serum brain damage markers following severe head injury. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1998;140:787-91; discussion 791-2 pubmed..Serum S-100B protein may provide independent information about the severity of primary brain damage after head injury. ..
- Jonsson H, Johnsson P, Hoglund P, Alling C, Blomquist S. Elimination of S100B and renal function after cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2000;14:698-701 pubmed..The elimination of S100B after cardiac surgery is faster than reported earlier and not affected by a moderate decrease in GFR. This finding is important when evaluating S100B levels after cardiac surgery. ..
- Cao Y, Chi P, Zhao Y, Dong X. Effect of bispectral index-guided anesthesia on consumption of anesthetics and early postoperative cognitive dysfunction after liver transplantation: An observational study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7966 pubmed publisher..S100? protein and NSE are well correlative with neural injury, but NSE is more suitable for assessment of incidence of postoperative cognitive deficits after surgery. ..
- Birlea S. S100B: Correlation with Active Vitiligo Depigmentation. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1408-1410 pubmed publisher..These authors have proposed S100B as a potential disease activity marker in vitiligo. ..
- Okun E, Marton D, Cohen D, Griffioen K, Kanfi Y, Illouz T, et al. Sirt6 alters adult hippocampal neurogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179681 pubmed publisher..This work adds to the expanding body of knowledge on the regulatory mechanisms underlying adult hippocampal neurogenesis, and describes novel roles for SIRT6 as a regulator of cell fate during adult hippocampal neurogenesis. ..
- Povysheva T, Shmarov M, Logunov D, Naroditsky B, Shulman I, Ogurcov S, et al. Post-spinal cord injury astrocyte-mediated functional recovery in rats after intraspinal injection of the recombinant adenoviral vectors Ad5-VEGF and Ad5-ANG. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;27:105-115 pubmed publisher..Therefore, gene therapy with Ad5-VEGF+Ad5-ANG vectors is an effective therapeutic method for SCI treatment. ..
- Kojima K, Wekerle H, Lassmann H, Berger T, Linington C. Induction of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by CD4+ T cells specific for an astrocyte protein, S100 beta. J Neural Transm Suppl. 1997;49:43-51 pubmed
- Charmsaz S, Hughes E, Bane F, Tibbitts P, McIlroy M, Byrne C, et al. S100? as a serum marker in endocrine resistant breast cancer. BMC Med. 2017;15:79 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT01840293 ). Registered on 23 April 2013. Retrospectively registered. ..
- Lapa A, Postal M, Sinicato N, Bellini B, Fernandes P, Marini R, et al. S100? is associated with cognitive impairment in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Lupus. 2017;26:478-483 pubmed publisher..006). Conclusions S100? protein levels are increased in cSLE with cognitive impairment. S100? may be considered a potential biomarker that underlies central nervous system (CNS) dysfunction, especially cognitive impairment. ..
- Chi Y, Li Z, Lin C, Wang Q, Zhou Y. Evaluation of the postoperative cognitive dysfunction in elderly patients with general anesthesia. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2017;21:1346-1354 pubmed..The preoperative intramuscular injection of scopolamine butylbromide has important clinical significance for the prevention of POCD. ..
- Barger S, Van Eldik L. S100 beta stimulates calcium fluxes in glial and neuronal cells. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:9689-94 pubmed..These data suggest that although the final biological responses of neuronal and glial cells to S100 beta are different, transduction of the S100 beta signal in both cell types involves changes in [Ca2+]i. ..
- Bouvier D, Duret T, Rouzaire P, Jabaudon M, Rouzaire M, Nourrisson C, et al. Preanalytical, analytical, gestational and pediatric aspects of the S100B immuno-assays. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2016;54:833-42 pubmed publisher..Data provided here is useful for interpreting serum S100B test results, in terms of preanalytical conditions, analytical performances, pediatric and pregnancy' environment. ..
- Lagerstedt L, Egea Guerrero J, Bustamante A, Montaner J, Rodríguez Rodríguez A, El Rahal A, et al. H-FABP: A new biomarker to differentiate between CT-positive and CT-negative patients with mild traumatic brain injury. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175572 pubmed publisher..e. hospital arrival within 24 h of trauma onset. H-FABP out-performed S100B and thus seems to be an interesting protein for detecting all CT-positive mTBI patients with a GCS score of 15 and at least one clinical symptom. ..
- Herajärvi J, Anttila T, Dimova E, Laukka T, Myllymäki M, Haapanen H, et al. Exploring effects of remote ischemic preconditioning in a pig model of hypothermic circulatory arrest. Scand Cardiovasc J. 2017;51:233-241 pubmed publisher..The exact humoural factor remains unclear. ..
- Zhang Q, Li Y, Guo Y, Yin C, Gao F, Xin X, et al. Effects of preconditioning of electro-acupuncture on postoperative cognitive dysfunction in elderly: A prospective, randomized, controlled trial. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7375 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that preconditioning of electro-acupuncture could improve the postoperative cognitive function, and the reduction of inflammatory reaction and brain injury may be involved in the mechanism. ..
- Isobe T, Ishioka N, Masuda T, Takahashi Y, Ganno S, Okuyama T. A rapid separation of S100 subunits by high performance liquid chromatography: the subunit compositions of S100 proteins. Biochem Int. 1983;6:419-26 pubmed
- Damude S, Wevers K, Murali R, Kruijff S, Hoekstra H, Bastiaannet E. A prediction tool incorporating the biomarker S-100B for patient selection for completion lymph node dissection in stage III melanoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1753-1759 pubmed publisher..If validated in future studies, this tool could help to identify patients with low risk for NSN-involvement. ..
- Raabe A, Grolms C, Sorge O, Zimmermann M, Seifert V. Serum S-100B protein in severe head injury. Neurosurgery. 1999;45:477-83 pubmed..S-100B may be a promising serum marker for assessing the extent of primary injury and the time course of secondary damage after severe head injury. ..
- McAdory B, Van Eldik L, Norden J. S100B, a neurotropic protein that modulates neuronal protein phosphorylation, is upregulated during lesion-induced collateral sprouting and reactive synaptogenesis. Brain Res. 1998;813:211-7 pubmed..These data show that during lesion-induced sprouting and reactive synaptogenesis, S100B is upregulated in astrocytes and can be found in pre- and post-synaptic compartments where it might influence neuronal protein phosphorylation. ..
- Cattani D, Cesconetto P, Tavares M, Parisotto E, de Oliveira P, Rieg C, et al. Developmental exposure to glyphosate-based herbicide and depressive-like behavior in adult offspring: Implication of glutamate excitotoxicity and oxidative stress. Toxicology. 2017;387:67-80 pubmed publisher..These neurochemical events may contribute, at least in part, to the depressive-like behavior observed in adult offspring. ..