Genomes and Genes
neuronal calcium sensor proteins
Summary: A family of intracellular calcium-sensing proteins found predominately in NEURONS and PHOTORECEPTOR CELLS. They contain EF HAND MOTIFS and undergo conformational changes upon calcium-binding. Neuronal calcium-sensor proteins interact with other regulatory proteins to mediate physiological responses to a change in intracellular calcium concentration.
- Gambino F, Kneib M, Pavlowsky A, Skala H, Heitz S, Vitale N, et al. IL1RAPL1 controls inhibitory networks during cerebellar development in mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;30:1476-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, we conclude that IL1RAPL1 exerts a key function during cerebellar development in establishing local excitation/inhibition balance. ..
- Lim S, Ames J. (1)H, (15)N, and (13)C chemical shift assignments of neuronal calcium sensor-1 homolog from fission yeast. Biomol NMR Assign. 2009;3:269-71 pubmed publisher..We report complete NMR chemical shift assignments of the NCS homolog from fission yeast (Schizosaccharomyces pombe), referred to in this study as Ncs1p. (BMRB no. 16446). ..
- Amici M, Doherty A, Jo J, Jane D, Cho K, Collingridge G, et al. Neuronal calcium sensors and synaptic plasticity. Biochem Soc Trans. 2009;37:1359-63 pubmed publisher..The present minireview aims to bring together evidence supporting a role for NCS proteins in plasticity, focusing on emerging roles of NCS-1 and hippocalcin. ..
- Rosa D, Souza R, Souza B, Lima F, Valvassori S, Gomez M, et al. Inhibitory avoidance task does not change NCS-1 level in rat brain. Brain Res Bull. 2010;82:289-92 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, other experiments are needed to shed more light on the role of NCS-1 and other mechanisms linked to signaling pathways related to inhibitory avoidance task. ..
- Yip P, Wong L, Sears T, Yáñez Muñoz R, McMahon S. Cortical overexpression of neuronal calcium sensor-1 induces functional plasticity in spinal cord following unilateral pyramidal tract injury in rat. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000399 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that increasing the levels of intracellular NCS1 in injured and uninjured central neurons enhances their intrinsic anatomical plasticity within the injured adult central nervous system. ..
- McCue H, Haynes L, Burgoyne R. The diversity of calcium sensor proteins in the regulation of neuronal function. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2010;2:a004085 pubmed publisher..In this article, we summarize synaptotagmins in neurotransmitter release, the neuronal roles of calmodulin, and the functional significance of the NCS and the CaBP/calneuron protein families of neuronal Ca(2+) sensors. ..
- Sallese M, Iacovelli L, Cumashi A, Capobianco L, Cuomo L, De Blasi A. Regulation of G protein-coupled receptor kinase subtypes by calcium sensor proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1498:112-21 pubmed