Genomes and Genes
Summary: Immunoglobulins produced in a response to HELMINTH ANTIGENS.
- Garcia T, Fonseca C, Pacifico L, Durães F, Marinho F, Penido M, et al. Peptides containing T cell epitopes, derived from Sm14, but not from paramyosin, induce a Th1 type of immune response, reduction in liver pathology and partial protection against Schistosoma mansoni infection in mice. Acta Trop. 2008;106:162-7 pubmed publisher..In contrast, paramyosin peptide vaccination did not engender protective immunity or liver pathology reduction and immunization was associated with a Th2 type of immune response. ..
- van Doorn H, Koelewijn R, Hofwegen H, Gilis H, Wetsteyn J, Wismans P, et al. Use of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and dipstick assay for detection of Strongyloides stercoralis infection in humans. J Clin Microbiol. 2007;45:438-42 pubmed..0, 97.7, 97.2, and 97.2%, respectively. Our data suggest that all four assays are sensitive and specific tests for the diagnosis of both intestinal and cutaneous strongyloidiasis. ..
- Hernandez Gonzalez A, Muro A, Barrera I, Ramos G, Orduña A, Siles Lucas M. Usefulness of four different Echinococcus granulosus recombinant antigens for serodiagnosis of unilocular hydatid disease (UHD) and postsurgical follow-up of patients treated for UHD. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2008;15:147-53 pubmed..4 and 94.2, respectively). In addition, this diagnostic tool proved to be useful for the follow-up of surgically treated UHD patients. The anti-B2t IgG ELISA may find an application in the serodiagnosis of UHD in clinical laboratories. ..
- Walter K, Fulford A, McBeath R, Joseph S, Jones F, Kariuki H, et al. Increased human IgE induced by killing Schistosoma mansoni in vivo is associated with pretreatment Th2 cytokine responsiveness to worm antigens. J Immunol. 2006;177:5490-8 pubmed
- Muller N, Frei E, Nunez S, Gottstein B. Improved serodiagnosis of alveolar echinococcosis of humans using an in vitro-produced Echinococcus multilocularis antigen. Parasitology. 2007;134:879-88 pubmed..multilocularis-specific antibody reactivities not detectable by ELISA. ..
- Lescano A, Garcia H, Gilman R, Guezala M, Tsang V, Gavidia C, et al. Swine cysticercosis hotspots surrounding Taenia solium tapeworm carriers. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;76:376-83 pubmed..005). In rural areas, swine cysticercosis occurs in high-risk hotspots around carriers where control interventions could be delivered...
- Ito A, Nakao M, Sako Y. Echinococcosis: serological detection of patients and molecular identification of parasites. Future Microbiol. 2007;2:439-49 pubmed..Both the serological detection of the disease and molecular phylogeny will be discussed in perspective. ..
- Vereecken K, Naus C, Polman K, Scott J, Diop M, Gryseels B, et al. Associations between specific antibody responses and resistance to reinfection in a Senegalese population recently exposed to Schistosoma mansoni. Trop Med Int Health. 2007;12:431-44 pubmed..Resistance to reinfection and production of IgA-SWA was associated with adulthood independently of exposure patterns, suggesting that susceptibility to S. mansoni and the development of protective immune responses is age-dependent. ..
- Maass D, Harrison G, Grant W, Shoemaker C. Three surface antigens dominate the mucosal antibody response to gastrointestinal L3-stage strongylid nematodes in field immune sheep. Int J Parasitol. 2007;37:953-62 pubmed..Thus three different L3-stage surface antigens, two that lack a protein component, dominate the natural mucosal antibody response to L3-stage gastrointestinal strongylid nematodes in sheep. ..
- Helmby H. Schistosomiasis and malaria: another piece of the crossreactivity puzzle. Trends Parasitol. 2007;23:88-90 pubmed..One such shared antigen (SmLRR) has now been cloned and has, therefore, opened up an intriguing and exciting field of research for immunologists and parasitologists. ..
- Nicoletti A, Sofia V, Mantella A, Vitale G, Contrafatto D, Sorbello V, et al. Epilepsy and toxocariasis: a case-control study in Italy. Epilepsia. 2008;49:594-9 pubmed..To assess the relationship between epilepsy and toxocariasis in adult subjects by means of a case-control study in Catania, Italy...
- McManus D, Loukas A. Current status of vaccines for schistosomiasis. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2008;21:225-42 pubmed publisher..haematobium) and Asian (S. japonicum) schistosomes is then discussed, as are new approaches that may improve the efficacy of available vaccines and aid in the identification of new targets for immune attack...
- Wickramasinghe S, Yatawara L, Nagataki M, Takamoto M, Watanabe Y, Rajapakse R, et al. Development of a highly sensitive IgG-ELISA based on recombinant arginine kinase of Toxocara canis for serodiagnosis of visceral larva migrans in the murine model. Parasitol Res. 2008;103:853-8 pubmed publisher..However, it is necessary to evaluate the specificity of this recombinant antigen with similar geohelminth infections...
- Sabry M, Taher E. Saliva as an easy specimen for diagnosis of human and animal fascioliosis. Egypt J Immunol. 2008;15:43-51 pubmed..These data introduce saliva as an easily collected sample that can be used for diagnosis of zoonotic fascioliosis. ..
- Valero M, Ubeira F, Khoubbane M, Artigas P, Muiño L, Mezo M, et al. MM3-ELISA evaluation of coproantigen release and serum antibody production in sheep experimentally infected with Fasciola hepatica and F. gigantica. Vet Parasitol. 2009;159:77-81 pubmed publisher..gigantica co-exist. These tests can be employed not only in the diagnosis, but also in studies on epidemiology as well as pathogenesis and treatment in animals and humans since they allow post-treatment infection monitoring...
- Zhang X, Huang S, Deng Z, Ou Z, Wu W, Luo X, et al. [Follow-up survey on the imported cases of lymphatic filariasis in Guangdong Province]. Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi. 2008;26:409-11 pubmed..It is suggested that no further transmission occurs although microfilaremia cases have been imported from the outbreak focus of Guangxi. ..
- Vasconcelos Santos D, Orefice F, Fonseca C, Alencar L, Almeida P, Lenzi H, et al. Epidemic of unilateral panuveitis in children from Brazilian Amazonia: clinical and etiological aspects in seven patients. Int Ophthalmol. 2010;30:113-25 pubmed publisher..Freshwater sponge spicules could be potential new etiological agents of ocular pathology, but further studies are needed, considering the heterogeneity of the ocular lesions and results of serological and environmental studies. ..
- Pinheiro C, Staub O, Mulvenna J, Loukas A, Jones M, Rabelo E. Characterization and binding affinities of SmLANP: a new Schistosoma mansoni member of the ANP32 family of regulatory proteins. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2009;165:95-102 pubmed publisher..Thirty-six possible partners were identified, and a protein ATP synthase subunit alpha was confirmed by pull down assays, as a binding partner of the SmLANP protein. ..
- Choi S, Lee J, Kim M, Hur G, Shin S, Park H. The clinical characteristics of Anisakis allergy in Korea. Korean J Intern Med. 2009;24:160-3 pubmed publisher..Anisakis simplex should be considered as a possible causative food allergen in adult patients presenting with urticaria, angioedema, and anaphylaxis following the consumption of raw fish or seafood...
- Bede O, Szénási Z, Danka J, Gyurkovits K, Nagy D. Toxocariasis associated with chronic cough in childhood: a longitudinal study in Hungary. J Helminthol. 2008;82:357-63 pubmed publisher..Deworming therapy will then alleviate the airway symptoms without exacerbation in patients with BA, and have a positive effect on those with NAEB and the majority of those with CVA. ..
- Madathiparambil M, Kaleysa K, Raghavan K. A diagnostically useful 200-kDa protein is secreted through the surface pores of the filarial parasite Setaria digitata. Parasitol Res. 2009;105:1099-104 pubmed publisher..The screening of human sera samples using the monoclonal antibodies give promising results which showed that gp200 could be a potent candidate protein for the immunodiagnosis of filariasis by the method of antigen detection. ..
- Rocha A, Braga C, Belém M, Carrera A, Aguiar Santos A, Oliveira P, et al. Comparison of tests for the detection of circulating filarial antigen (Og4C3-ELISA and AD12-ICT) and ultrasound in diagnosis of lymphatic filariasis in individuals with microfilariae. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2009;104:621-5 pubmed..44%). Of the circulating antigen tests, ICT-card was the most convenient method for identification of Wuchereria bancrofti carriers. It was easy to perform, practical and quick. ..
- Caldas I, Campi Azevedo A, Oliveira L, Silveira A, Oliveira R, Gazzinelli G. Human schistosomiasis mansoni: immune responses during acute and chronic phases of the infection. Acta Trop. 2008;108:109-17 pubmed publisher..Polyclonal idiotypic antibodies are able to modulate in vitro granuloma formation around SEA-polyacrylamide. The importance of idiotypes for protection or pathology in schistosomiasis is still not clear. ..
- Marcos L, Tagle M, Terashima A, Bussalleu A, Ramirez C, Carrasco C, et al. Natural history, clinicoradiologic correlates, and response to triclabendazole in acute massive fascioliasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;78:222-7 pubmed..Fascioliasis is specifically treatable with a single dose of triclabendazole. ..
- Krushna N, Shiny C, Dharanya S, Sindhu A, Aishwarya S, Narayanan R. Immunolocalization and serum antibody responses to Brugia malayi pepsin inhibitor homolog (Bm-33). Microbiol Immunol. 2009;53:173-83 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Bm-33 is an immunodominant antigen and contributes to filarial pathogenesis. ..
- Tang C, Liu S, Ma Y, Liang L, Guo P, Wang S, et al. [A multi-gene DNA vaccine encoding non-fusion membrane-anchoring antigen against Schistosoma japonicum]. Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi. 2008;26:412-6 pubmed..9% (P < 0.01) and an egg reduction rate of 43.9% (P < 0.01). The vaccine candidate pIRES-Sj97-Sj14-Sj26 induces an immune protection in BALB/c mice against Schistosoma japonicum. ..
- Hong Y, Han H, Peng J, Li Y, Shi Y, Fu Z, et al. Schistosoma japonicum: cloning, expression and characterization of a gene encoding the ?5-subunit of the proteasome. Exp Parasitol. 2010;126:517-25 pubmed publisher..The study suggested that rSjPSMA5 induced partial immunoprotection against S. japonicum in BALB/c mice, and it could be a potential vaccine candidate against schistosomiasis...
- Nkouawa A, Sako Y, Itoh S, Kouojip Mabou A, Nganou C, Saijo Y, et al. Serological studies of neurologic helminthic infections in rural areas of southwest cameroon: toxocariasis, cysticercosis and paragonimiasis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4:e732 pubmed publisher..Soil-transmitted helminthic infections were also examined...
- Pokharel D, Rathaur S. Purification and characterization of a leucine aminopeptidase from the bovine filarial parasite Setaria cervi. Acta Trop. 2008;106:1-8 pubmed publisher..The antigenic similarity between S. cervi LAP and W. bancrofti makes this molecule ideal for the discovery of new diagnostic marker, drugs and/or vaccine candidate for human lymphatic filariasis. ..
- Sako Y, Fukuda K, Kobayashi Y, Ito A. Development of an immunochromatographic test to detect antibodies against recombinant Em18 for diagnosis of alveolar echinococcosis. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:252-4 pubmed publisher..93) and between the ICT and immunoblot analysis (kappa = 0.97). It is expected that the ICT developed in this study will be useful for the serodiagnosis of alveolar echinococcosis...
- Gong X, Guo W, Cirendunzhu -, Long E, Ma Y, Bianbazuoma -, et al. [Investigation on an outbreak of trichinosis and clinical analysis]. Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi. 2008;26:79-80 pubmed..In the 9 cases, 3 had eosinophilia, 3 showed positive anti-Trichinella IgG. Trichinella larvae were found in gastrocnemius muscle of 3 cases by biopsy including the 2 died cases.Seven cases were successfully treated with albendazole. ..
- Lorentzen L, Caola A. Incidence of positive heartworm antibody and antigen tests at IDEXX Laboratories: trends and potential impact on feline heartworm awareness and prevention. Vet Parasitol. 2008;158:183-90 pubmed publisher..In addition, this population of infected cats would represent the "tip of the iceberg" relative to the greater number of cats that have early infection or are at risk for infection. ..
- Almeria S, Adelantado C, Charlier J, Claerebout E, Bach A. Ostertagia ostertagi antibodies in milk samples: relationships with herd management and milk production parameters in two Mediterranean production systems of Spain. Res Vet Sci. 2009;87:416-20 pubmed publisher..The ELISA technique was valuable to indirectly assess differences in the level of GI nematode infection even in cattle production systems with low levels of infection. ..
- Jones L, Houdijk J, Knox D, Kyriazakis I. Immunomodulatory effects of dietary protein during Nippostrongylus brasiliensis re-infection in lactating rats. Parasite Immunol. 2009;31:412-21 pubmed publisher..Our study provides evidence that increased dietary protein content reduces the PPRI to N. brasiliensis re-infection in the lactating rat through improved mucosal immune responses...
- Mitchell K, Mutapi F, Woolhouse M. The predicted impact of immunosuppression upon population age-intensity profiles for schistosomiasis. Parasite Immunol. 2008;30:462-70 pubmed publisher..These findings are discussed in the light of existing field and experimental data. ..
- Akiyama T, Ohta N. Parasite-specific antibody profile in the aqueous humor of rabbits with ocular toxocariasis. Parasitol Int. 2010;59:112-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, besides the presence of intraocular larvae, some other factors in the host may be required for the development of retinal lesions. ..
- Tappe D, Sako Y, Itoh S, Frosch M, Grüner B, Kern P, et al. Immunoglobulin G subclass responses to recombinant Em18 in the follow-up of patients with alveolar echinococcosis in different clinical stages. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2010;17:944-8 pubmed publisher..Additional testing of IgE responses to Em18 showed constantly low levels at all stages and in all cohorts. ..
- Xu X, Sui J, Cao L, Lin H. Direct competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for rapid screening of anisakid larvae in seafood. J Sci Food Agric. 2010;90:877-81 pubmed publisher..8% to 107.0%, with relative standard deviations all less than 20%. The results allowed us to suggest the established direct competitive ELISA as an effective analytical tool for fast screening of anisakid larvae in sea foods. ..
- Kaplan M, Kalkan A, Kuk S, Demirdag K, Ozden M, Kilic S. Toxocara seroprevalence in schizophrenic patients in Turkey. Yonsei Med J. 2008;49:224-9 pubmed publisher..05). In conclusion, the schizophrenic state seems to present a high risk for Toxocara infection in Turkey. ..
- Aka N, Assoumou A, Adoubrynk D, Domoua K, Kouadio F, Moyou Somo R, et al. First findings on the seroepidemiology of human paragonimosis at the anti-tuberculosis centre of Divo, Repubuc of Ivory Coast (West Africa). Parasite. 2008;15:157-61 pubmed..In Ivory Coast, the locality of Divo must be considered an at-risk zone in reason of the presence of anti-Paragonimus antibodies in several human sera and the presence of infected crabs at the local market. ..
- El Marhoumy S, El Nouby K, Emara M, Abou Rayia D. An experimental study for evaluating the efficacy of cercarial vaccine against Schistosoma mansoni. J Egypt Soc Parasitol. 2009;39:917-32 pubmed..87%), ova/gram intestine (89.09%) and number & size of granulomas in liver (92.92% & 43.53% respectively). Besides, ACV induced a significant increase in the level of IL-10 mRNA expression as compared to the control group. ..
- Jin Y, Lu K, Zhou W, Fu Z, Liu J, Shi Y, et al. Comparison of Recombinant Proteins from Schistosoma japonicum for Schistosomiasis Diagnosis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2010;17:476-80 pubmed publisher..We evaluated the potentials of the recombinant proteins for discriminating active from prior infections, as well as the therapeutic efficacy of the established ELISA technique...
- Anuracpreeda P, Wanichanon C, Chawengkirtikul R, Chaithirayanon K, Sobhon P. Fasciola gigantica: immunodiagnosis of fasciolosis by detection of circulating 28.5 kDa tegumental antigen. Exp Parasitol. 2009;123:334-40 pubmed publisher..39%, false positive rate of 0%, false negative rate of 5.50% and an accuracy of 98.2%. Thus, this detection method exhibited high specificity and sensitivity as well as could be used for early diagnosis of fasciolosis by F. gigantica...
- Kennedy E, Hall R, Montgomery S, Pyburn D, Jones J. Trichinellosis surveillance - United States, 2002-2007. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2009;58:1-7 pubmed
- El Ridi R, Tallima H. Schistosoma mansoni ex vivo lung-stage larvae excretory-secretory antigens as vaccine candidates against schistosomiasis. Vaccine. 2009;27:666-73 pubmed publisher..The findings together indicated that the immune responses issue is as critical as the nature and source of the antigen for the development of vaccine against schistosomiasis. ..
- Gomez Morales M, Ludovisi A, Amati M, Cherchi S, Pezzotti P, Pozio E. Validation of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for diagnosis of human trichinellosis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2008;15:1723-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that this test is suitable for detecting anti-Trichinella antibodies in human sera for diagnostic purposes, whereas its use in epidemiological surveys could be questionable. ..
- Lei J, Liu W, Sun C, Tang C, Li M, Chen Y, et al. Detection of circulating antigen in serum of mice infected with Schistosoma japonicum by immunomagnetic bead ELISA based on IgY. Acta Trop. 2009;111:39-43 pubmed publisher..The novel assay appears to be sensitive for detection of schistosomal antigenemia and valuable to judge the efficacy of chemotherapy in murine schistosomiasis. ..
- Roldán W, Espinoza Y, Huapaya P, Huiza A, Sevilla C, Jimenez S. Frequency of human toxocariasis in a rural population from Cajamarca, Peru determined by DOT-ELISA test. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2009;51:67-71 pubmed..In conclusion, human toxocariasis is highly frequent in this population and some risk factors like dog/cat ownership, presence of pets within house, and previous history of geophagia were observed in the present study...
- Demirci M, Tanyel T, Kaya S. [Investigation of immunoglobulin isotypes in patients with fasciolosis]. Mikrobiyol Bul. 2009;43:471-5 pubmed..Further studies are necessary to prove the diagnostic value of specific IgA and IgE antibodies in setting of fasciolosis. ..
- Tweyongyere R, Mawa P, Emojong N, Mpairwe H, Jones F, Duong T, et al. Effect of praziquantel treatment of Schistosoma mansoni during pregnancy on intensity of infection and antibody responses to schistosome antigens: results of a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:32 pubmed publisher..Long-term implications of these findings in relation to resistance to re-infection remain to be explored. ..