Genomes and Genes
Summary: Immunoglobulins produced in a response to FUNGAL ANTIGENS.
- Sestero C, Scalarone G. Detection of IgG and IgM in sera from canines with blastomycosis using eight blastomyces dermatitidis yeast phase lysate antigens. Mycopathologia. 2006;162:33-7 pubmed..310-0.744 for IgG, 0.025-0.069 for IgM). Inherent variations in yeast lysate antigens such as these may be utilized to develop improved immunoassay procedures for the specific detection of IgG or IgM in cases of blastomycosis...
- Rodrigues M, Shi L, Barreto Bergter E, Nimrichter L, Farias S, Rodrigues E, et al. Monoclonal antibody to fungal glucosylceramide protects mice against lethal Cryptococcus neoformans infection. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:1372-6 pubmed..neoformans, revealing a potential therapeutic strategy to control cryptococcosis. ..
- Alam F, Mustafa A, Khan Z. Comparative evaluation of (1, 3)-beta-D-glucan, mannan and anti-mannan antibodies, and Candida species-specific snPCR in patients with candidemia. BMC Infect Dis. 2007;7:103 pubmed
- Bertini S, Colombo A, Takahashi H, Straus A. Expression of antibodies directed to Paracoccidioides brasiliensis glycosphingolipids during the course of paracoccidioidomycosis treatment. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:150-6 pubmed..The Pb-1 antigen, an acidic GSL with terminal Galf residue, has potential application as an elicitor of the host immune response in patients with PCM...
- Selvakumar D, Zhang Q, Miyamoto M, Furuichi Y, Komiyama T. Identification and characterization of a neutralizing monoclonal antibody for the epitope on HM-1 killer toxin. J Biochem. 2006;139:399-406 pubmed..These results strongly indicate that nmAb-KT binds to HM-1 at the sequence 41GSTDGK46, and not to HYI at the same position. The potential active site of HM-1 involved in the killing activity against sensitive yeast is discussed. ..
- Pitarch A, Jimenez A, Nombela C, Gil C. Decoding serological response to Candida cell wall immunome into novel diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic candidates for systemic candidiasis by proteomic and bioinformatic analyses. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2006;5:79-96 pubmed..Furthermore serum anti-wall enolase antibodies are a new prognostic indicator for SC and confer protection against it. Bgl2p and wall-associated enolase could be valuable candidates for future vaccine development. ..
- Magliani W, Conti S, Arseni S, Salati A, Ravanetti L, Maffei D, et al. Antibody-mediated protective immunity in fungal infections. New Microbiol. 2005;28:299-309 pubmed..New perspectives of antibody-mediated therapy, based on the availability of monoclonal and recombinant antibodies as well as genetically engineered antibody fragments of defined specificity, will be also envisaged and discussed. ..
- De Bernardis F, Liu H, O Mahony R, La Valle R, Bartollino S, Sandini S, et al. Human domain antibodies against virulence traits of Candida albicans inhibit fungus adherence to vaginal epithelium and protect against experimental vaginal candidiasis. J Infect Dis. 2007;195:149-57 pubmed..albicans. This is the first demonstration that human DAbs lacking the Fc constituent can efficiently control an infection and can act largely by inhibiting adherence. ..
- Barbosa M, Báo S, Andreotti P, De Faria F, Felipe M, dos Santos Feitosa L, et al. Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase of Paracoccidioides brasiliensis is a cell surface protein involved in fungal adhesion to extracellular matrix proteins and interaction with cells. Infect Immun. 2006;74:382-9 pubmed..brasiliensis could be involved in mediating binding of fungal cells to fibronectin, type I collagen, and laminin, thus contributing to the adhesion of the microorganism to host tissues and to the dissemination of infection...
- Laín A, Moragues M, Ruiz J, Mendoza J, Camacho A, del Palacio A, et al. Evaluation of a novel enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay to detect immunoglobulin G antibody to enolase for serodiagnosis of invasive candidiasis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:318-9 pubmed..The sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of the test for the diagnosis of invasive candidiasis were 81.0, 83.9, 79.1, and 85.5%, respectively. ..
- Brena S, Omaetxebarria M, Elguezabal N, Cabezas J, Moragues M, Ponton J. Fungicidal monoclonal antibody C7 binds to Candida albicans Als3. Infect Immun. 2007;75:3680-2 pubmed..It also bound the recombinant N terminus of Als3. Binding of MAb C7 to Als3 may explain the biological activities exerted by the MAb on C. albicans. ..
- Yang Q, Su Q, Wang G, Wen D, Zhang Y, Bao H, et al. Production of hybrid phage displaying secreted aspartyl proteinase epitope of Candida albicans and its application for the diagnosis of disseminated candidiasis. Mycoses. 2007;50:165-71 pubmed..These data indicate this phage-displayed epitope as an effective and less expensive reagent would be a valuable probe for the detection of specific Sap antibody in the sera of patients and mice with systemic C. albicans infection. ..
- Rachini A, Pietrella D, Lupo P, Torosantucci A, Chiani P, Bromuro C, et al. An anti-beta-glucan monoclonal antibody inhibits growth and capsule formation of Cryptococcus neoformans in vitro and exerts therapeutic, anticryptococcal activity in vivo. Infect Immun. 2007;75:5085-94 pubmed..Overall, these findings demonstrate that cell wall beta-glucan of encapsulated C. neoformans is accessible to antibodies which can exert remarkable anticryptococcal activities in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Moragues M, Ortiz N, Iruretagoyena J, García Ruiz J, Amutio E, Rojas A, et al. [Evaluation of a new commercial test (Candida albicans IFA IgG) for the serodiagnosis of invasive candidiasis]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2004;22:83-8 pubmed..albicans germ tubes and provides faster and easier diagnosis of invasive candidiasis in the clinical microbiology laboratory. ..
- Yeo S, Wong B. Current status of nonculture methods for diagnosis of invasive fungal infections. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2002;15:465-84 pubmed..This work reviews the current status and recent developments as well as problems in the design of nonculture diagnostic methods for invasive fungal infections. ..
- Kim B, Kim Y, Kim J, Jung H, Song I. Diagnostic role of anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae mannan antibodies combined with antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Dis Colon Rectum. 2002;45:1062-9 pubmed..A combination of both tests may aid the differential diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Larsen R, Pappas P, Perfect J, Aberg J, Casadevall A, Cloud G, et al. Phase I evaluation of the safety and pharmacokinetics of murine-derived anticryptococcal antibody 18B7 in subjects with treated cryptococcal meningitis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:952-8 pubmed..The half-life of MAb 18B7 in serum was approximately 53 h, while the MAb was undetectable in the cerebrospinal fluid of all patients. These data support the continued investigation of MAb 18B7 at a maximum single dose of 1.0 mg/kg. ..
- Vilanova M, Teixeira L, Caramalho I, Torrado E, Marques A, Madureira P, et al. Protection against systemic candidiasis in mice immunized with secreted aspartic proteinase 2. Immunology. 2004;111:334-42 pubmed..Taken together, these analyses demonstrate that Sap2 can be successfully used as a vaccination target in systemic candidiasis and reveals the potential immunomodulatory role of Sap2 on C. albicans infection. ..
- Bar W, Beyreiss B, Rebentisch G, Juretzek T. [Diagnosis of systemic Candida infections. Evaluation of serology, molecular biology and D-arabinitol detection]. Mycoses. 2004;47 Suppl 1:32-6 pubmed..In conclusion, serological methods (antigen and antibody detection) should only be applied in strictly selected patients. In uncertain cases, the addition of PCR or determination of D-arabinitol/L-arabinitol might be helpful. ..
- Botteon F, Camargo Z, Benard G, Coelho R, Chamone D, Itano E. Paracoccidioides brasiliensis-reactive antibodies in Brazilian blood donors. Med Mycol. 2002;40:387-91 pubmed..The present report is the first epidemiological study using ELISA to detect antibodies against gp43 in blood donors. ..
- Prella M, Bille J, Pugnale M, Duvoisin B, Cavassini M, Calandra T, et al. Early diagnosis of invasive candidiasis with mannan antigenemia and antimannan antibodies. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2005;51:95-101 pubmed..001). Candidiasis was diagnosed before neutrophil recovery in 78% and 11% of cases with Mn/anti-Mn and radiology, respectively (P < 0.001). Mn and anti-Mn may be useful for early noninvasive diagnosis of IC. ..
- Daly K, Fichtenbaum C, Tanaka R, Linke M, O Bert R, Thullen T, et al. Serologic responses to epitopes of the major surface glycoprotein of Pneumocystis jiroveci differ in human immunodeficiency virus-infected and uninfected persons. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:644-51 pubmed..None of the serum samples drawn from 9 patients before they had developed PcP recognized MsgC. These data suggest that these novel recombinant proteins are useful for the analysis of antibody responses to Msg...
- Respaldiza N, Medrano F, Medrano A, Varela J, de la Horra C, Montes Cano M, et al. High seroprevalence of Pneumocystis infection in Spanish children. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2004;10:1029-31 pubmed..The data indicated a high seroprevalence of Pneumocystis infection in healthy Spanish children, thereby demonstrating that this pathogen is widespread in southern Spain...
- Nosanchuk J, Steenbergen J, Shi L, Deepe G, Casadevall A. Antibodies to a cell surface histone-like protein protect against Histoplasma capsulatum. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:1164-75 pubmed
- Durand Joly I, Soula F, Chabé M, Dalle J, Lafitte J, Senechal M, et al. Long-term colonization with Pneumocystis jirovecii in hospital staffs: a challenge to prevent nosocomial pneumocystosis. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2003;50 Suppl:614-5 pubmed
- Matthews R, Burnie J. Recombinant antibodies: a natural partner in combinatorial antifungal therapy. Vaccine. 2004;22:865-71 pubmed..It is now the subject of a multinational, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, in patients with culture-confirmed invasive candidiasis on liposomal amphotericin B. ..
- Pirofski L. Polysaccharides, mimotopes and vaccines for fungal and encapsulated pathogens. Trends Microbiol. 2001;9:445-51 pubmed..neoformans in mice, however, our knowledge of the mechanisms of mimotope-induced protection is incomplete and further work is needed if polysaccharide- or mimotope-based vaccines are to be used to manage C. neoformans infection. ..
- Icenhour C, Rebholz S, Collins M, Cushion M. Widespread occurrence of Pneumocystis carinii in commercial rat colonies detected using targeted PCR and oral swabs. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:3437-41 pubmed..carinii f. sp. carinii DNA in all rat lungs, illustrating widespread occurrence of Pneumocystis in commercial rat colonies. Thus, oral swab/PCR is a rapid, nonlethal, and sensitive method for the assessment of Pneumocystis exposure...
- De Bernardis F, Boccanera M, Adriani D, Girolamo A, Cassone A. Intravaginal and intranasal immunizations are equally effective in inducing vaginal antibodies and conferring protection against vaginal candidiasis. Infect Immun. 2002;70:2725-9 pubmed..These data suggest that appropriate fungal antigens and adjuvant can be used to protect against candidal vaginitis, by either route. ..
- Bishop L, Kovacs J. Quantitation of anti-Pneumocystis jiroveci antibodies in healthy persons and immunocompromised patients. J Infect Dis. 2003;187:1844-8 pubmed..This ELISA assay allows quantitation of anti-P. jiroveci antibodies in human serum samples and should be useful in better understanding the epidemiology of P. jiroveci infection in humans. ..
- Kondori N, Edebo L, Mattsby Baltzer I. Circulating beta (1-3) glucan and immunoglobulin G subclass antibodies to Candida albicans cell wall antigens in patients with systemic candidiasis. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2004;11:344-50 pubmed..Furthermore, the kinetics of beta(1-3) glucan appearance in serum may assist in evaluating the therapeutic efficacy of antifungal treatments. ..
- Cutler J. Defining criteria for anti-mannan antibodies to protect against candidiasis. Curr Mol Med. 2005;5:383-92 pubmed
- Casadevall A, Feldmesser M, Pirofski L. Induced humoral immunity and vaccination against major human fungal pathogens. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2002;5:386-91 pubmed..Protective monoclonal antibodies can be used to identify antigens that induce useful humoral responses. ..
- Eisele R, Juliani L, Belitardo D, Itano E, Estevao D, Bracarense A, et al. Immune response in dogs experimentally infected with Paracoccidioides brasiliensis. Med Mycol. 2004;42:549-53 pubmed..The IgM and IgG response peaked by the first and second month, respectively. We conclude that young dogs appear to be resistant to the development of paracoccidioidomycosis. ..
- Cox R, Magee D. Coccidioidomycosis: host response and vaccine development. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2004;17:804-39, table of contents pubmed
- Quindos G, Moragues M, Ponton J. Is there a role for antibody testing in the diagnosis of invasive candidiasis?. Rev Iberoam Micol. 2004;21:10-4 pubmed..Results obtained from a panel of diagnostic tests in association with clinical aspects will likely be the most useful strategy for early diagnosis and therapy. ..
- Magliani W, Conti S, Frazzi R, Ravanetti L, Maffei D, Polonelli L. Protective antifungal yeast killer toxin-like antibodies. Curr Mol Med. 2005;5:443-52 pubmed
- Krause I, Monselise Y, Milo G, Weinberger A. Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies--a novel serologic marker for Behçet's disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2002;20:S21-4 pubmed..e. ASCA, with BD. ASCA were not linked to a specific clinical manifestation of the disease and probably do not pose an increased risk for a more severe disease course. ..
- Guimarães A, Pizzini C, De Matos Guedes H, Albuquerque P, Peralta J, Hamilton A, et al. ELISA for early diagnosis of histoplasmosis. J Med Microbiol. 2004;53:509-14 pubmed..It provides a useful adjunct to existing methods of diagnosis that could be applied even in situations where laboratory facilities were relatively limited. ..
- Casadevall A, Pirofski L. Insights into mechanisms of antibody-mediated immunity from studies with Cryptococcus neoformans. Curr Mol Med. 2005;5:421-33 pubmed..Observations with C. neoformans have stimulated a reappraisal of the role of humoral immunity for other pathogens and highlighted the limitations in current methods of assessing the role of Ab in host defense. ..
- Chabé M, Dei Cas E, Creusy C, Fleurisse L, Respaldiza N, Camus D, et al. Immunocompetent hosts as a reservoir of pneumocystis organisms: histological and rt-PCR data demonstrate active replication. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004;23:89-97 pubmed..The results showed Pneumocystis organisms were able to replicate in the lungs of immunocompetent hosts, which indicates these hosts are a reservoir for Pneumocystis spp...
- Matthews R, Rigg G, Hodgetts S, Carter T, Chapman C, Gregory C, et al. Preclinical assessment of the efficacy of mycograb, a human recombinant antibody against fungal HSP90. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2003;47:2208-16 pubmed..albicans (kidney), C. krusei (spleen), C. glabrata (spleen), and C. parapsilosis (liver and spleen). Only by combining Mycograb with AMB was complete resolution of infection achieved for C. albicans, C. krusei, and C. glabrata. ..
- Ono M, Bracarense A, Morais H, Trapp S, Belitardo D, Camargo Z. Canine paracoccidioidomycosis: a seroepidemiologic study. Med Mycol. 2001;39:277-82 pubmed..These results indicate that ELISA and skin testing can be useful in the epidemiological study of paracoccidioidomycosis in dogs and that encounter with the fungus in nature is a frequent event. ..
- Johnson S, Simmons K, Pappagianis D. Amplification of coccidioidal DNA in clinical specimens by PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:1982-5 pubmed..A 239-bp product was visualized when 10 fg of exogenous coccidioidal DNA was subjected to amplification. This product was demonstrated in some human and mouse sera prior to the detection of coccidioidal antibodies. ..
- McFadden D, Casadevall A. Unexpected diversity in the fine specificity of monoclonal antibodies that use the same V region gene to glucuronoxylomannan of Cryptococcus neoformans. J Immunol. 2004;172:3670-7 pubmed
- Daly K, Koch J, Levin L, Walzer P. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and serologic responses to Pneumocystis jiroveci. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:848-54 pubmed..Thus, this ELISA will be useful in studying serum antibody responses to Pneumocystis in different human populations. ..
- Ricci G, Mota F, Wakamatsu A, Serafim R, Borra R, Franco M. Canine paracoccidioidomycosis. Med Mycol. 2004;42:379-83 pubmed..This is the first report of PCM disease occurring in a dog, an animal that has been shown to play an important role in the natural history of North American blastomycosis. ..
- Bromuro C, Torosantucci A, Chiani P, Conti S, Polonelli L, Cassone A. Interplay between protective and inhibitory antibodies dictates the outcome of experimentally disseminated Candidiasis in recipients of a Candida albicans vaccine. Infect Immun. 2002;70:5462-70 pubmed..Our observations may also help explain why subjects with elevated anti-Candida antibody titers, inclusive of anti-MP and anti-GG antibodies, remain nonetheless susceptible to invasive candidiasis. ..
- Shoham S, Levitz S. The immune response to fungal infections. Br J Haematol. 2005;129:569-82 pubmed..An understanding of the host response to these organisms is important in decisions regarding use of currently available antifungal therapies and in the design of new therapeutic modalities. ..
- Sendid B, Caillot D, Baccouch Humbert B, Klingspor L, Grandjean M, Bonnin A, et al. Contribution of the Platelia Candida-specific antibody and antigen tests to early diagnosis of systemic Candida tropicalis infection in neutropenic adults. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:4551-8 pubmed..tropicalis systemic infection. ..
- Cheng S, Clancy C, Checkley M, Handfield M, Hillman J, Progulske Fox A, et al. Identification of Candida albicans genes induced during thrush offers insight into pathogenesis. Mol Microbiol. 2003;48:1275-88 pubmed
- Cassone A, De Bernardis F, Torososantucci A. An outline of the role of anti-Candida antibodies within the context of passive immunization and protection from candidiasis. Curr Mol Med. 2005;5:377-82 pubmed