Genomes and Genes
Summary: Antibodies that can catalyze a wide variety of chemical reactions. They are characterized by high substrate specificity and share many mechanistic features with enzymes.
- Nevinsky G, Kanyshkova T, Buneva V. Natural catalytic antibodies (abzymes) in normalcy and pathology. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2000;65:1245-55 pubmed..Working hypotheses on the possible biological roles of natural abzymes in autoimmune processes and diseases accompanied by disorders of immune status are analyzed. ..
- Belogurov A, Kozyr A, Ponomarenko N, Gabibov A. Catalytic antibodies: balancing between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Bioessays. 2009;31:1161-71 pubmed publisherThe immunoglobulin molecule is a perfect template for the de novo generation of biocatalytic functions. Catalytic antibodies, or abzymes, obtained by the structural mimicking of enzyme active sites have been shown to catalyze numerous ..
- McKenzie K, Mee J, Rogers C, Hixon M, Kaufmann G, Janda K. Identification and characterization of single chain anti-cocaine catalytic antibodies. J Mol Biol. 2007;365:722-31 pubmed..These results indicate the power of initial selection of catalytic antibodies from a biased antibody library in both rapid generation and screening of mutants for improved catalysis.
- Ponomarenko N, Durova O, Vorobiev I, Aleksandrova E, Telegin G, Chamborant O, et al. Catalytic antibodies in clinical and experimental pathology: human and mouse models. J Immunol Methods. 2002;269:197-211 pubmed..A targeted catalytic response was originally demonstrated against MBP and Myo in multiple sclerosis and myocarditis patients, respectively. ..
- Hanson C, Nishiyama Y, Paul S. Catalytic antibodies and their applications. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2005;16:631-6 pubmedb>Catalytic antibodies (CAbs) occur naturally in healthy individuals where they may form part of the innate immune system, but are preferentially found in those with autoimmune disease...
- Nevinsky G, Buneva V. Natural catalytic antibodies in norm, autoimmune, viral, and bacterial diseases. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010;10:1203-33 pubmed publisher..Different mechanisms of Abz production can be proposed for healthy externally immunized and for autoimmune mammals during the development of pathology. ..
- Lacroix Desmazes S, Bayry J, Kaveri S, Hayon Sonsino D, Thorenoor N, Charpentier J, et al. High levels of catalytic antibodies correlate with favorable outcome in sepsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4109-13 pubmed..Although initially perceived as potentially deleterious, catalytic antibodies have been proposed to participate in removal of metabolic wastes and protection against infection...
- Wootla B, Dasgupta S, Mallet V, Kazatchkine M, Nagaraja V, Friboulet A, et al. Physiopathology of catalytic antibodies: the case for factor VIII-hydrolyzing immunoglobulin G. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2006;17:229-34 pubmed..The pathophysiological relevance of catalytic antibodies thus remains an elusive issue...
- Nevinsky G, Buneva V. Catalytic antibodies in healthy humans and patients with autoimmune and viral diseases. J Cell Mol Med. 2003;7:265-76 pubmed..However, in 1986 the first monoclonal catalytic antibodies against a chemically stable analog of the transition state of a reaction were obtained and termed abzymes (..
- Xu Y, Yamamoto N, Ruiz D, Kubitz D, Janda K. Squaric monoamide monoester as a new class of reactive immunization hapten for catalytic antibodies. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2005;15:4304-7 pubmed..Because antibodies 2D4 and 3C8 result in covalent attachment and thus inactivation of paraoxon, they could be useful probes for investigating paraoxon intoxication. ..
- Kuhar M, Carroll F, Bharat N, Landry D. Anticocaine catalytic antibodies have no affinity for RTI compounds: implications for treatment. Synapse. 2001;41:176-8 pubmedPotential medications for cocaine abusers include: anticocaine catalytic antibodies, which could serve as circulating peripheral blockers of cocaine that prevents its action in the brain; and 3-phenyltropane cocaine analogs, which could ..
- Tanaka F, Barbas C. Reactive immunization: a unique approach to catalytic antibodies. J Immunol Methods. 2002;269:67-79 pubmed..Reactive immunization has proven to be an efficient approach to generating highly proficient catalytic antibodies with unusually broad substrate scope...
- Belogurov A, Zargarova T, Turobov V, Novikova N, Favorova O, Ponomarenko N, et al. Suppression of ongoing experimental allergic encephalomyelitis in DA rats by novel peptide drug, structural part of human myelin basic protein 46-62. Autoimmunity. 2009;42:362-4 pubmed..MBP 124-139 and 147-170 displayed only mild therapeutic effects but MBP 46-62 significantly reduced EAE, reflected by lower clinical scores and shorter EAE duration compared to controls. ..
- Ananyeva N, Lacroix Desmazes S, Hauser C, Shima M, Ovanesov M, Khrenov A, et al. Inhibitors in hemophilia A: mechanisms of inhibition, management and perspectives. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2004;15:109-24 pubmed
- Hifumi E, Mitsuda Y, Ohara K, Uda T. Targeted destruction of the HIV-1 coat protein gp41 by a catalytic antibody light chain. J Immunol Methods. 2002;269:283-98 pubmed..viral coat proteins or tumor antigens is an important aim in current research aimed at developing superior catalytic antibodies. To this end, we raised a monoclonal antibody against a discrete sequence of the envelope gp41, ..
- Andryushkova A, Kuznetsova I, Orlovskaya I, Buneva V, Nevinsky G. Nucleotide-hydrolyzing antibodies from the sera of autoimmune-prone MRL-lpr/lpr mice. Int Immunol. 2009;21:935-45 pubmed publisher..The highest increase in AI reaction markers and in Abz enzymic activity was found in mice immunized with a DNA-protein complex. ..
- Zhang Y, Li Z, Sun M, Zheng Q, Sun C. Molecular simulation studies of a selenium-containing scFv catalytic antibody that mimics glutathione peroxidase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1747:27-34 pubmed..The structural information from the theoretically modeled complex can help us to further understand the catalytic mechanism of GPX. ..
- Magorivska I, Bilyy R, Shalay O, Loginsky V, Kit Y, Stoika R. Blood serum immunoglobulins of patients with multiple myeloma are capable of hydrolysing histone H1. Exp Oncol. 2009;31:97-101 pubmed..We demonstrated the existence of previously unknown histone H1 hydrolyzing IgG abzymes in the serum of multiple myeloma patients. Possible biological role of hisH1-hydrolyzing antibodies in patients with multiple myeloma was discussed. ..
- Mitsuda Y, Hifumi E, Tsuruhata K, Fujinami H, Yamamoto N, Uda T. Catalytic antibody light chain capable of cleaving a chemokine receptor CCR-5 peptide with a high reaction rate constant. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2004;86:217-25 pubmed..23 min(-1), which is greater by factors of tens to hundreds than those of natural catalytic antibodies obtained previously...
- You D, Ren X, Xue Y, Luo G, Yang T, Shen J. A selenium-containing single-chain abzyme with potent antioxidant activity. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:4326-31 pubmed
- Suchkov S, Gabibov A, Alekberova Z, Paleev F, Gnuchev N. [Catalytic autoantibodies and their future in practical medicine]. Ter Arkh. 2002;74:40-5 pubmed
- Rader C, Turner J, Heine A, Shabat D, Sinha S, Wilson I, et al. A humanized aldolase antibody for selective chemotherapy and adaptor immunotherapy. J Mol Biol. 2003;332:889-99 pubmedMouse monoclonal antibody 38C2 is the prototype of a new class of catalytic antibodies that were generated by reactive immunization...
- Nishi Y. Evolution of catalytic antibody repertoire in autoimmune mice. J Immunol Methods. 2002;269:213-33 pubmedWe have attempted to efficiently obtain catalytic antibodies (catAbs) with amidase/esterase activity in the expanded sequence space of the antibody repertoire...
- Lefevre S, Debat H, Thomas D, Friboulet A, Avalle B. A suicide-substrate mechanism for hydrolysis of beta-lactams by an anti-idiotypic catalytic antibody. FEBS Lett. 2001;489:25-8 pubmed..The anti-idiotypic network appears as a way to create enzyme mimics with modified catalytic activities. ..
- Clark R, Johnston B, Suckling C, MacKay S. A modelling study of a non-concerted hydrolytic cycloaddition reaction by the catalytic antibody H11. Bioorg Med Chem. 2006;14:2674-83 pubmed
- Zhu X, Dickerson T, Rogers C, Kaufmann G, Mee J, McKenzie K, et al. Complete reaction cycle of a cocaine catalytic antibody at atomic resolution. Structure. 2006;14:205-16 pubmed
- Shamis M, Lode H, Shabat D. Bioactivation of self-immolative dendritic prodrugs by catalytic antibody 38C2. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:1726-31 pubmed..The dendritic unit was applied as a platform for a heterodimeric prodrug, which achieved a remarkable increase in toxicity with its bioactivation. ..
- Okochi N, Kato Murai M, Kadonosono T, Ueda M. Design of a serine protease-like catalytic triad on an antibody light chain displayed on the yeast cell surface. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;77:597-603 pubmed..These results suggest the possibility of new approach for the creation of tailor-made proteases beyond limitations of the traditional immunization approach. ..
- Andryushkova A, Kuznetsova I, Bineva V, Toporkova L, Sakhno L, Tikhonova M, et al. Formation of different abzymes in autoimmune-prone MRL-lpr/lpr mice is associated with changes in colony formation of haematopoietic progenitors. J Cell Mol Med. 2007;11:531-51 pubmed..The possible differences in immune system reorganizations during pre-disease, disease, pregnancy and lactation leading to production of different auto-antibodies and abzymes are discussed. ..
- Zheng L, Baumann U, Reymond J. Production of a functional catalytic antibody ScFv-NusA fusion protein in bacterial cytoplasm. J Biochem. 2003;133:577-81 pubmedFunctional expression of catalytic antibodies in the cytoplasm of E. coli is potentially of great interest in searching for new catalysts by genetic selection...
- Lacroix Desmazes S, Misra N, Bayry J, Villard S, Kazatchkine M, Kaveri S. Antibodies with hydrolytic activity towards factor VIII in patients with hemophilia A. J Immunol Methods. 2002;269:251-6 pubmed..parameters derived for FVIII cleavage by anti-FVIII antibodies are in line with the previously described catalytic antibodies. The identified cleavage sites are evenly spread throughout the FVIII molecule and are located after an ..
- Belogurov A, Kurkova I, Friboulet A, Thomas D, Misikov V, Zakharova M, et al. Recognition and degradation of myelin basic protein peptides by serum autoantibodies: novel biomarker for multiple sclerosis. J Immunol. 2008;180:1258-67 pubmed..Thus, anti-MBP autoantibody-mediated, epitope-specific binding and cleavage may be regarded as a specific characteristic of MS compared with OND and healthy donors and may serve as an additional biomarker of disease progression. ..
- Oda M, Ito N, Tsumuraya T, Suzuki K, Sakakura M, Fujii I. Thermodynamic and structural basis for transition-state stabilization in antibody-catalyzed hydrolysis. J Mol Biol. 2007;369:198-209 pubmedb>Catalytic antibodies 6D9 and 9C10, which were induced by immunization with a haptenic transition-state analog (TSA), catalyze the hydrolysis of a nonbioactive chloramphenicol monoester derivative to generate a bioactive chloramphenicol...
- Shim H, Karlström A, Touami S, Fuller R, Barbas C. Flow cytometric screening of aldolase catalytic antibodies. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2004;14:4065-8 pubmed..Hybridoma or transfected mammalian cells expressing catalytic antibody molecules could be rapidly isolated. ..
- Hilvert D. Critical analysis of antibody catalysis. Annu Rev Biochem. 2000;69:751-93 pubmed..protocols, and elaboration of general strategies for augmenting the efficiency of first-generation catalytic antibodies are identified as evident, but difficult, challenges for this field...
- Black K, Leach A, Kalani M, Houk K. Antibody-catalyzed oxy-cope rearrangement: mechanism and origins of catalysis and stereoselectivity from DFT quantum mechanics and flexible docking. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:9695-708 pubmed..conformation is not that found in the hapten used to generate the germline and affinity-matured AZ28 catalytic antibodies. Docking studies support greater transition-state binding than reactant binding...
- Ponomarenko N, Durova O, Vorob ev I, Suchkov S, Gabibov A. On the catalytic activity of autoantibodies in multiple sclerosis. Dokl Biochem Biophys. 2004;395:120-3 pubmed
- Wentworth P, Datta A, Blakey D, Boyle T, Partridge L, Blackburn G. Toward antibody-directed "abzyme" prodrug therapy, ADAPT: carbamate prodrug activation by a catalytic antibody and its in vitro application to human tumor cell killing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:799-803 pubmed..This cell-kill assay heralds a general approach to direct and rapid screening of antibody libraries for catalysts. ..
- Golinelli Pimpaneau B. Structure of a pseudomerohedrally twinned monoclinic crystal form of a pyridoxal phosphate-dependent catalytic antibody. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2005;61:472-6 pubmed..Four other iodide ions are present in the structure: two are involved in specific intermolecular contacts and two dictate the conformation of the CDRH3 loop in each molecule. ..
- Lian G, Ding L, Chen M, Liu L, Zhao D, Ni J. A selenium-containing catalytic antibody with Type I deiodinase activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;283:1007-12 pubmed..The activity could be sensitively inhibited by PTU with a Ki value of approximately 120 microM at 2.0 microM of T(4) concentration, revealing that PTU was a competitive inhibitor for DTT. ..
- Johnson G, Moore S. Investigations into the development of catalytic activity in anti-acetylcholinesterase idiotypic and anti-idiotypic antibodies. J Mol Recognit. 2009;22:188-96 pubmed publisher..This was confirmed by the observation that the sequences superimpose structurally. The non-catalytic antibodies, AE-2 and the Ab2, recognized AChE's peripheral anionic site (PAS), in particular, the sequence (70)YQYVD, ..
- Kit Y, Starykovych M, Richter V, Stoika R. Detection and characterization of IgG- and sIgA-Abzymes capable of hydrolyzing histone H1. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2008;73:950-6 pubmed..The protease activity of anti-histone H1 IgG antibodies was inhibited by serine proteinase inhibitors, whereas anti-histone H1 sIgA antibodies were insensitive to inhibitors of serine, asparagine, and cysteine proteases. ..
- Hifumi E, Kondo H, Mitsuda Y, Uda T. Catalytic features of monoclonal antibody i41SL1-2 subunits. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2003;84:485-93 pubmed..1 x 10(-1) and 6.2 x 10(-1) min(-1), respectively. These are high values for the natural catalytic antibodies reported so far. The catalytic efficiency (kcat/Km) of the light and heavy chain was 3.1 x 10(5) and 4...
- Benedetti F, Berti F, Brady K, Colombatti A, Pauletto A, Pucillo C, et al. An unprecedented catalytic motif revealed in the model structure of amide hydrolyzing antibody 312d6. Chembiochem. 2004;5:129-31 pubmed
- Ruzheinikov S, Muranova T, Sedelnikova S, Partridge L, Blackburn G, Murray I, et al. High-resolution crystal structure of the Fab-fragments of a family of mouse catalytic antibodies with esterase activity. J Mol Biol. 2003;332:423-35 pubmedThe crystal structures of four related Fab fragments of a family of catalytic antibodies displaying differential levels of esterase activity have been solved in the presence and in the absence of the transition-state analogue (TSA) that ..
- Lian G, Chen M, Liu Z, Ding L, Zhao D, Ni J. [An abzyme to catalytize the deiodination of thyroxine]. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2001;36:514-8 pubmed..An abzyme with the diodination activity was first prepared and the reaction mechanism of the enzyme was bisubstrate ping-pong one. ..
- Mercader J, Skerra A. Generation of anticalins with specificity for a nonsymmetric phthalic acid ester. Anal Biochem. 2002;308:269-77 pubmed..Our data suggest that the generation of anticalins may provide an alternative to antibodies for the creation of stable receptor proteins against haptens with bioanalytical relevance. ..
- Johnson G, Moore S. Catalytic antibodies with acetylcholinesterase activity. J Immunol Methods. 2002;269:13-28 pubmedWe describe three catalytic cholinesterase-like catalytic antibodies (Ab1), as well as anti-idiotypic (Ab2) and idiotypic (Ab3) antibodies, to one of the Ab1s...
- Belogurov A, Kurkova I, Misikov V, Suchkov S, Telegin G, Alekhine A, et al. Substrate specificity of catalytic autoantibodies in neurodegenerative processes. Dokl Biochem Biophys. 2007;413:61-4 pubmed
- Paul S, Planque S, Nishiyama Y. Beneficial catalytic immunity to abeta peptide. Rejuvenation Res. 2010;13:179-87 pubmed publisher..Alzheimer disease with antibodies that bind amyloid beta peptide (Abeta) and the feasibility of developing catalytic antibodies for this purpose...
- Vlassov A, Andrievskaya O, Kanyshkova T, Baranovsky A, Naumov V, Breusov A, et al. RNA-hydrolyzing antibodies from peripheral blood of patients with lupus erythematosus. Biochemistry (Mosc). 1997;62:474-9 pubmed..In experiments with unmodified and mutant tRNALys species differing in one base found in the T-loop, we found that hydrolysis with SLE antibodies can detect small local structural changes in RNA under physiological conditions. ..
- Vinter V, Nevzorova T, Konovalova O, Salakhov M. Study of DNA-hydrolyzing activity of antibodies to DNA using atomic force microscopy. Dokl Biochem Biophys. 2005;405:414-6 pubmed
- Fujii I, Fukuyama S, Iwabuchi Y, Tanimura R. Evolving catalytic antibodies in a phage-displayed combinatorial library. Nat Biotechnol. 1998;16:463-7 pubmedIn vitro affinity maturation for evolving catalytic antibodies has been demonstrated by generating a diverse repertoire of the appropriate complementarity-determining regions on a phage surface...