Genomes and Genes
Summary: Antibodies that inhibit the reaction between ANTIGEN and other antibodies or sensitized T-LYMPHOCYTES (e.g., antibodies of the IMMUNOGLOBULIN G class that compete with IGE antibodies for antigen, thereby blocking an allergic response). Blocking antibodies that bind tumors and prevent destruction of tumor cells by CYTOTOXIC T-LYMPHOCYTES have also been called enhancing antibodies. (Rosen et al., Dictionary of Immunology, 1989)
- Pastori C, Clivio A, Diomede L, Consonni R, de Mori G, Longhi R, et al. Two amino acid substitutions within the first external loop of CCR5 induce human immunodeficiency virus-blocking antibodies in mice and chickens. J Virol. 2008;82:4125-34 pubmed publisher..These findings may be relevant to the induction of strong and efficient HIV-blocking antibodies.
- Kirton C, Laukkanen M, Nieminen A, Merinen M, Stolen C, Armour K, et al. Function-blocking antibodies to human vascular adhesion protein-1: a potential anti-inflammatory therapy. Eur J Immunol. 2005;35:3119-30 pubmed..Furthermore, the chimeric antibodies prevented leukocyte adhesion and transmigration in vitro and in vivo. Hence, these chimeric antibodies have the potential to be used as a new anti-inflammatory therapy. ..
- Robert C, Soria J, Spatz A, Le Cesne A, Malka D, Pautier P, et al. Cutaneous side-effects of kinase inhibitors and blocking antibodies. Lancet Oncol. 2005;6:491-500 pubmed..Elucidation of this connection could lead to the identification of crucial predictive factors for tumour response. ..
- Park J, Arnaout M, Gupta V. A simple, no-wash cell adhesion-based high-throughput assay for the discovery of small-molecule regulators of the integrin CD11b/CD18. J Biomol Screen. 2007;12:406-17 pubmed..5) for HTS. After testing the assay using 2 established blocking antibodies as reference biologicals, the authors performed a proof-of-concept primary screen using a library of 6612 ..
- Zhu F, Zhou Z, Liao Y. The renin-angiotensin system and therapeutic vaccines for hypertension. Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2008;9:286-94 pubmed..This review discusses the RAS as a target for the development of a hypertension vaccine, and evaluates the safety and efficacy of these vaccines. ..
- de Melo Reis R, Cabral da Silva M, de Mello F, Taylor J. Müller glia factors induce survival and neuritogenesis of peripheral and central neurons. Brain Res. 2008;1205:1-11 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that purified mice Müller glia cultures secrete NGF that support peripheral neuronal survival and other unidentified trophic molecules that induce RGC survival and neuritogenesis. ..
- Teng M, Yue S, Sharkey J, Exley M, Smyth M. CD1d activation and blockade: a new antitumor strategy. J Immunol. 2009;182:3366-71 pubmed publisher..The ability of anti-CD1d mAbs to coincidently activate CD1d(+) APCs to release IL-12 and inhibit CD1d-restricted type II NKT cells makes CD1d an exciting new target for immunotherapy of cancer based on tumor immunoregulation. ..
- Fagète S, Ravn U, Gueneau F, Magistrelli G, Kosco Vilbois M, Fischer N. Specificity tuning of antibody fragments to neutralize two human chemokines with a single agent. MAbs. 2009;1:288-96 pubmed..Using this approach it is therefore possible to engineer pan-specific antibodies that could prove very useful to antagonize redundant signaling pathways such as the chemokine signaling network. ..
- Parmentier N, Stroobant V, Colau D, de Diesbach P, Morel S, Chapiro J, et al. Production of an antigenic peptide by insulin-degrading enzyme. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:449-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MAGE-A3 proteins are degraded along two parallel pathways that involve either the proteasome or IDE and produce different sets of antigenic peptides presented by MHC class I molecules. ..
- Velu V, Kannanganat S, Ibegbu C, Chennareddi L, Villinger F, Freeman G, et al. Elevated expression levels of inhibitory receptor programmed death 1 on simian immunodeficiency virus-specific CD8 T cells during chronic infection but not after vaccination. J Virol. 2007;81:5819-28 pubmed
- Yamagishi S, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Inoue H. Pigment epithelium-derived factor is a pericyte mitogen secreted by microvascular endothelial cells: possible participation of angiotensin II-elicited PEDF downregulation in diabetic retinopathy. Int J Tissue React. 2005;27:197-202 pubmed..Our present results suggest that PEDF is an EC-derived mitogen or survival factor for retinal pericytes. Suppression by Ang II of the EC-derived PEDF may be involved in exacerbation of diabetic retinopathy in patients with hypertension. ..
- Herbst R, Wang Y, Gallagher S, Mittereder N, Kuta E, Damschroder M, et al. B-cell depletion in vitro and in vivo with an afucosylated anti-CD19 antibody. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;335:213-22 pubmed publisher..In summary, MEDI-551 has potent B-cell-depleting activity in vitro and in vivo and may be a promising new approach for the treatment of B-cell malignancies and autoimmune diseases. ..
- Martin W, Grainger R, Harrison A, Harper J. Differences in MSU-induced superoxide responses by neutrophils from gout subjects compared to healthy controls and a role for environmental inflammatory cytokines and hyperuricemia in neutrophil function and survival. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:1228-35 pubmed publisher..This inflammatory environment likely contributes to elevated neutrophil IL-8 production and survival in the absence of direct crystal stimulation. Asymptomatic hyperuricemia is not associated with suppressed neutrophil function. ..
- Take Y, Nakata K, Hashimoto J, Tsuboi H, Nishimoto N, Ochi T, et al. Specifically modified osteopontin in rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes supports interaction with B cells and enhances production of interleukin-6. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:3591-601 pubmed publisher..Specifically modified 75-kd OPN was expressed by RA FLS. This form of OPN affected FLS-B lymphocyte interactions by supporting the adhesion of B lymphocytes to FLS and enhancing the production of IL-6. ..
- Mohajeri M, Gaugler M, Martinez J, Tracy J, Li H, Crameri A, et al. Assessment of the bioactivity of antibodies against beta-amyloid peptide in vitro and in vivo. Neurodegener Dis. 2004;1:160-7 pubmed..This protocol may prove useful for the rapid validation of the activity of antibodies designed to be used in immune therapy of AD. ..
- Pérez de la Lastra J, Kremer L, De La Fuente J. Recent advances in the development of immunoadhesins for immune therapy and as anti-infective agents. Recent Pat Antiinfect Drug Discov. 2009;4:183-9 pubmed..The present article is a short review for the recent patents related to immunoadhesins for immune therapy. ..
- Rushing S, Saylor M, Hale M. Translocation of ricin across polarized human bronchial epithelial cells. Toxicon. 2009;54:184-91 pubmed publisher..The in vitro system developed here provides a method by which to screen potential therapeutics for protecting lung epithelial cells against ricin intoxication. ..
- Chen C, Hwang J, Guh J, Tsai J, Chen H. TGF-beta1 and integrin synergistically facilitate the differentiation of rat podocytes by increasing alpha-smooth muscle actin expression. Transl Res. 2006;148:134-41 pubmed..01). In conclusion, this study indicated that TGF-beta(1) may act synergistically with integrins, through activation of PKC and FAK, to induce the phenotypic changes of rat podocytes with increasing alpha-SMA expression. ..
- Hantusch B, Jensen Jarolim E. [From the allergen-recognition by antibodies to new therapeutic concepts]. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2008;158:13-8 pubmed publisher..Mimotopes resemble a promising concept for an epitope-tailored immunotherapy of allergic patients. ..
- Kostrzewa R, Segura Aguilar J. Botulinum neurotoxin: evolution from poison, to research tool--onto medicinal therapeutic and future pharmaceutical panacea. Neurotox Res. 2007;12:275-90 pubmed..BoNT's pharmaceutical potential is boundless. ..
- Keller S. Cell based assays in drug development for biopharmaceuticals--IIR's Second Annual Conference. IDrugs. 2006;9:841-5 pubmed
- Atassi M, Dolimbek B, Steward L, Aoki K. Molecular bases of protective immune responses against botulinum neurotoxin A--how antitoxin antibodies block its action. Crit Rev Immunol. 2007;27:319-41 pubmed..Thus, analysis of the locations of the Ab-binding and the snp-binding regions provides a molecular rationale for the ability of protecting Abs to block BoNT/A action in vivo. ..
- Ikeda Y, Adachi Y, Ishii T, Tamura H, Aketagawa J, Tanaka S, et al. Blocking effect of anti-Dectin-1 antibodies on the anti-tumor activity of 1,3-beta-glucan and the binding of Dectin-1 to 1,3-beta-glucan. Biol Pharm Bull. 2007;30:1384-9 pubmed..4B2 and SC30 differ in their influence on Dectin-1 between primary cells and transduced cells, and Dectin-1 effects 1,3-beta-glucan-mediated anti-tumor activity in mice by binding to SPG. ..
- Wente M, Keane M, Burdick M, Friess H, Buchler M, Ceyhan G, et al. Blockade of the chemokine receptor CXCR2 inhibits pancreatic cancer cell-induced angiogenesis. Cancer Lett. 2006;241:221-7 pubmed
- King C, Michon P, Shakri A, Marcotty A, Stanisic D, Zimmerman P, et al. Naturally acquired Duffy-binding protein-specific binding inhibitory antibodies confer protection from blood-stage Plasmodium vivax infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8363-8 pubmed publisher..vivax strains characterized by six diverse PvDBPII haplotypes. These observations demonstrate a functional correlate of protective immunity in vivo and provide support for developing a vaccine against P. vivax malaria based on PvDBPII. ..
- Ohsawa K, Irino Y, Sanagi T, Nakamura Y, Suzuki E, Inoue K, et al. P2Y12 receptor-mediated integrin-beta1 activation regulates microglial process extension induced by ATP. Glia. 2010;58:790-801 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that ATP induces the integrin-beta1 activation in microglia through P2Y(12) and suggest that the integrin-beta1 activation is involved in the directional process extension by microglia in brain tissue. ..
- Leroy M, Dallot E, Czerkiewicz I, Schmitz T, Breuiller Fouche M. Inflammation of choriodecidua induces tumor necrosis factor alpha-mediated apoptosis of human myometrial cells. Biol Reprod. 2007;76:769-76 pubmed..These data support the hypothesis that TNF participates in the complex network of signaling processes associated with uterine involution. ..
- Atassi M. Immune recognition of BoNTs A and B: how anti-toxin antibodies that bind to the heavy chain obstruct toxin action. Toxicon. 2009;54:600-13 pubmed publisher..On BoNT/B, Ab-binding regions overlapped with the sites that bind to mouse and rat synaptotagmin II or to ganglioside, thereby explaining Ab blocking of BoNT/B action. ..
- Dhanasekaran A, Al Saghir R, Lopez B, Zhu D, Gutterman D, Jacobs E, et al. Protective effects of epoxyeicosatrienoic acids on human endothelial cells from the pulmonary and coronary vasculature. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H517-31 pubmed
- Weingart C, Nelson P, Krämer B, Mack M. Dose dependent effects of platelet derived chondroitinsulfate A on the binding of CCL5 to endothelial cells. BMC Immunol. 2008;9:72 pubmed publisher..These data help to understand the proinflammatory effects of activated platelets. ..
- Bowen R, Drake S, Vanjani R, Huey E, Grafman J, Horne M. Markedly increased vitamin B12 concentrations attributable to IgG-IgM-vitamin B12 immune complexes. Clin Chem. 2006;52:2107-14 pubmed
- Baudino L, Nimmerjahn F, Azeredo da Silveira S, Martinez Soria E, Saito T, Carroll M, et al. Differential contribution of three activating IgG Fc receptors (FcgammaRI, FcgammaRIII, and FcgammaRIV) to IgG2a- and IgG2b-induced autoimmune hemolytic anemia in mice. J Immunol. 2008;180:1948-53 pubmed..In contrast, the development of both mild and severe anemia induced by 34-3C IgG2b was dependent on FcgammaRIII and FcgammaRIV. Our results indicate differential roles of the three activating FcgammaR in IgG2a- and IgG2b-mediated AIHA. ..
- Song Y, Pittet J, Huang X, He H, Lynch S, Violette S, et al. Role of integrin alphav beta6 in acute lung injury induced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Infect Immun. 2008;76:2325-32 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa-induced lung injury. However, these therapies also did not increase the lung injury, suggesting that host defense was not compromised by this promising new therapy. ..
- Chiappe De Cingolani G, Ennis I, Morgan P, Alvarez B, Casey J, Camilión de Hurtado M. Involvement of AE3 isoform of Na(+)-independent Cl(-)/HCO(3)(-) exchanger in myocardial pH(i) recovery from intracellular alkalization. Life Sci. 2006;78:3018-26 pubmed..These data support the key role of the AE3 isoform in myocardial pH(i) recovery from alkaline loads and also in the stimulatory effect of ET-1 on AE activity. To a lesser extent, it may also contribute to the effect of MgATP on pH(i). ..
- Kato N, Sasou S, Teshima S, Motoyama T. Overexpression of laminin-5 gamma2 chain in clear cell carcinoma of the ovary. Virchows Arch. 2007;450:273-8 pubmed..These results indicate that an interaction between CCC cells and extracellularly accumulated LN-5 is responsible for cell migration and the subsequent stromal invasion of CCC. ..
- Fischetti F, Durigutto P, Macor P, Marzari R, Carretta R, Tedesco F. Selective therapeutic control of C5a and the terminal complement complex by anti-C5 single-chain Fv in an experimental model of antigen-induced arthritis in rats. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:1187-97 pubmed..To determine the role of the terminal complement complex (TCC) in the development of experimental antigen-induced arthritis (AIA) and the therapeutic effects of human anti-C5 single-chain Fv (scFv)...
- Okafor C, Anumudu C, Omosun Y, Uthaipibull C, Ayede I, Awobode H, et al. Cellular responses to modified Plasmodium falciparum MSP119 antigens in individuals previously exposed to natural malaria infection. Malar J. 2009;8:263 pubmed publisher..b>Blocking antibodies also bind to this antigen but prevent inhibitory antibodies binding, allowing invasion to proceed...
- Matsui H, Motooka M, Koike H, Inoue M, Iwasaki T, Suzuki T, et al. Ischemia/reperfusion in rat heart induces leptin and leptin receptor gene expression. Life Sci. 2007;80:672-80 pubmed..This study helps to elucidate the mechanisms behind the onset and development of ischemic heart disease concomitant with obesity. ..
- Wagner W, Wein F, Roderburg C, Saffrich R, Diehlmann A, Eckstein V, et al. Adhesion of human hematopoietic progenitor cells to mesenchymal stromal cells involves CD44. Cells Tissues Organs. 2008;188:160-9 pubmed
- Lee J, Lee J, Park J, Kim S, Choi J, Lee S, et al. Liquiritigenin, a licorice flavonoid, helps mice resist disseminated candidiasis due to Candida albicans by Th1 immune response, whereas liquiritin, its glycoside form, does not. Int Immunopharmacol. 2009;9:632-8 pubmed publisher..When LG-given mice were treated with anti-mouse IFNgamma, the protection was again nulled. Combined together, these results indicate that LG protects mice against disseminated candidiasis by the CD4+ Th1 immune response. ..
- Brusko T, Putnam A, Bluestone J. Human regulatory T cells: role in autoimmune disease and therapeutic opportunities. Immunol Rev. 2008;223:371-90 pubmed publisher..In summary, the review provides an in-depth analysis and highlights the challenges and opportunities for immune intervention with Treg-based therapeutics. ..
- Wasserman H, Evavold B. Induction of anergy by antibody blockade of TCR in myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein-specific cells. J Immunol. 2008;180:7259-64 pubmed..Thus, reduction of TCR expression may provide a potential therapy for self-reactive T cells involved in autoimmune diseases through the induction of anergy. ..
- Wang F, Wan L, Zhang C, Zheng X, Li J, Chen Z. Tim-3-Galectin-9 pathway involves the suppression induced by CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. Immunobiology. 2009;214:342-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, blocking Tim-3-Galectin-9 pathway negated prolonged survival of allogeneic skin grafts induced by CD4(+)CD25(+) Tregs in vivo. Our results suggest that Tim-3-Galectin-9 pathway involves the function of CD4(+)CD25(+) Tregs. ..
- Babich M. IUPHAR 2006--15th World Congress of Pharmacology. Antibody-based therapies and diagnostics. 2-7 July 2006, Beijing, China. IDrugs. 2006;9:600-3 pubmed
- Unoki N, Murakami T, Nishijima K, Ogino K, Van Rooijen N, Yoshimura N. SDF-1/CXCR4 contributes to the activation of tip cells and microglia in retinal angiogenesis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3362-71 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS. SDF-1/CXCR4 promotes retinal angiogenesis by both tip cell activation and the indirect angiogenic effects of microglia. ..
- Chen R, Chen C, Preston J. Elevation of CSF albumin in old sheep: relations to CSF turnover and albumin extraction at blood-CSF barrier. J Neurochem. 2010;113:1230-9 pubmed publisher..These early changes in health ageing may result in the accumulation and modifications of CSF proteins leading to neurotoxicity...
- Zhang P, Yang C, Delay R. Urine stimulation activates BK channels in mouse vomeronasal neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2008;100:1824-34 pubmed publisher..These data strongly support the hypothesis that AA mediates an inhibitory pathway through BK channels, a possible mechanism for odor adaptation in vomeronasal neurons...
- Bulwin G, Heinemann T, Bugge V, Winter M, Lohan A, Schlawinsky M, et al. TIRC7 inhibits T cell proliferation by modulation of CTLA-4 expression. J Immunol. 2006;177:6833-41 pubmed..Splenocytes obtained from CTLA-4-deficient mice are not responsive to TIRC7 Ab targeting. Thus, TIRC7 acts as an upstream regulatory molecule of CTLA-4 expression. ..
- Fu Q, Hu B, Wu W, Pepinsky R, Mi S, So K. Blocking LINGO-1 function promotes retinal ganglion cell survival following ocular hypertension and optic nerve transection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:975-85 pubmed publisher..They also delineated the RhoA and PI-3K/Akt pathways as the predominant mediator of LINGO-1-Fc neuroprotection in this paradigm of RGC death. ..
- Chernousov M, Kaufman S, Stahl R, Rothblum K, Carey D. Alpha7beta1 integrin is a receptor for laminin-2 on Schwann cells. Glia. 2007;55:1134-44 pubmed..These findings strongly suggest that alpha7beta1 integrin is a Schwann cell receptor for laminin-2 that provides transmembrane linkage between the Schwann cell basal lamina and cytoskeleton. ..