fibrin tissue adhesive
Summary: An autologous or commercial tissue adhesive containing FIBRINOGEN and THROMBIN. The commercial product is a two component system from human plasma that contains more than fibrinogen and thrombin. The first component contains highly concentrated fibrinogen, FACTOR VIII, fibronectin, and traces of other plasma proteins. The second component contains thrombin, calcium chloride, and antifibrinolytic agents such as APROTININ. Mixing of the two components promotes BLOOD CLOTTING and the formation and cross-linking of fibrin. The tissue adhesive is used for tissue sealing, HEMOSTASIS, and WOUND HEALING.
- Berrevoet F, de Hemptinne B. Clinical application of topical sealants in liver surgery: does it work?. Acta Chir Belg. 2007;107:504-7 pubmed..Furthermore the clinical benefit for the liver surgery patient will be discussed. ..
- Jain A, Bansal R, Sukhija J. Human amniotic membrane transplantation with fibrin glue in management of primary pterygia: a new tuck-in technique. Cornea. 2008;27:94-9 pubmed publisher..Use of fibrin glue for attaching human amniotic membrane graft in primary pterygium surgery is effective. It not only reduces the surgical time but also minimizes postoperative discomfort and complications. ..
- Pantelis D, Beissel A, Kahl P, Wehner S, Vilz T, Kalff J. The effect of sealing with a fixed combination of collagen matrix-bound coagulation factors on the healing of colonic anastomoses in experimental high-risk mice models. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2010;395:1039-48 pubmed publisher..The effect on the molecular level in particular seems to be essential and requires further experimental studies to evaluate the mechanism. ..
- Gille J, Schuseil E, Wimmer J, Gellissen J, Schulz A, Behrens P. Mid-term results of Autologous Matrix-Induced Chondrogenesis for treatment of focal cartilage defects in the knee. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010;18:1456-64 pubmed publisher..However, further studies with long-term follow-up are needed to determine whether the grafted area will maintain structural and functional integrity over time. ..
- Kim H, Park H. Fibrin glue-assisted augmented amniotic membrane transplantation for the treatment of large noninfectious corneal perforations. Cornea. 2009;28:170-6 pubmed publisher..To evaluate and report the efficacy of fibrin glue (FG)-assisted augmented amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) in patients with large corneal perforations...
- Karalezli A, Kucukerdonmez C, Akova Y, Altan Yaycioglu R, Borazan M. Fibrin glue versus sutures for conjunctival autografting in pterygium surgery: a prospective comparative study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008;92:1206-10 pubmed publisher..05). The use of fibrin glue in pterygium surgery with conjunctival autografting significantly reduces surgery time, improves postoperative patient comfort and results in a lower recurrence rate compared with suturing. ..
- Batman C, Ozdamar Y, Aslan O, Sonmez K, Mutevelli S, Zilelioglu G. Tissue glue in sutureless vitreoretinal surgery for the treatment of wound leakage. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2008;39:100-6 pubmed..The results demonstrated the efficacy of tissue glue for closing site ports when wound leakage is observed in transconjunctival sutureless vitreoretinal surgery. ..
- Neuss H, Raue W, Koplin G, Schwenk W, Reetz C, Mall J. Intraoperative application of fibrin sealant does not reduce the duration of closed suction drainage following radical axillary lymph node dissection in melanoma patients: a prospective randomized trial in 58 patients. World J Surg. 2008;32:1450-5 pubmed publisher..To study the effect of intraoperatively applied fibrin sealant following RALND a randomized patient-blinded trial was carried out...
- Nakamura H, Matsuyama Y, Yoshihara H, Sakai Y, Katayama Y, Nakashima S, et al. The effect of autologous fibrin tissue adhesive on postoperative cerebrospinal fluid leak in spinal cord surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005;30:E347-51 pubmedA prospective randomized study evaluating the efficacy of autologous fibrin tissue adhesive for decreasing postoperative cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak in spinal cord surgery. To compare postoperative CSF leak in 3 groups (i.e...
- Välimäki J. Fibrin glue for preventing immediate postoperative hypotony following glaucoma drainage implant surgery. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2006;84:372-4 pubmed..Results suggest that intraoperative use of fibrin glue is a viable option for reducing peritubular filtration and preventing immediate postoperative hypotony after GDI surgery. ..
- Yeh D, Bushley D, Kim T. Treatment of traumatic LASIK flap dislocation and epithelial ingrowth with fibrin glue. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;141:960-2 pubmed..The additional use of fibrin glue in conjunction with thorough debridement may be helpful in preventing the recurrence of epithelial ingrowth. ..
- Rock G, Neurath D, Lu M, Alharbi A, Freedman M. The contribution of platelets in the production of cryoprecipitates for use in a fibrin glue. Vox Sang. 2006;91:252-5 pubmed..Therefore, there are advantages for using PRP to enhance the growth of new tissue. ..
- Lee M, Jones D. Applications of fibrin sealant in surgery. Surg Innov. 2005;12:203-13 pubmed..The applications of fibrin sealant are expanding, and new preparations of fibrin sealant are currently being evaluated. ..
- Jiang J, Yang Y, Zhang M, Fu X, Bao X, Yao K. Comparison of fibrin sealant and sutures for conjunctival autograft fixation in pterygium surgery: one-year follow-up. Ophthalmologica. 2008;222:105-11 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of fibrin sealant in conjunctival autograft fixation in pterygium surgery...
- Kheirkhah A, Casas V, Sheha H, Raju V, Tseng S. Role of conjunctival inflammation in surgical outcome after amniotic membrane transplantation with or without fibrin glue for pterygium. Cornea. 2008;27:56-63 pubmed publisher..If left untreated, persistent inflammation may lead to a poor surgical outcome. ..
- Toti L, Attia M, Manzia T, Lenci I, Gunson B, Buckels J, et al. Reduction in bile leaks following adult split liver transplant using a fibrin-collagen sponge: A pilot study. Dig Liver Dis. 2010;42:205-9 pubmed publisher..5%) arose from the cut surface, and only one was from the anastomosis. Using a fibrinogen-thrombin-collagen sponge patch may reduce bile leaks from the cut surface of the liver during adult right lobe split liver transplants. ..
- Spotnitz W, Burks S. State-of-the-art review: Hemostats, sealants, and adhesives II: Update as well as how and when to use the components of the surgical toolbox. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2010;16:497-514 pubmed publisher..Recommendations with respect to how and when to best use these materials will be presented. A review of the recent literature is also provided with respect to the most recent uses of these materials in specific surgical specialties. ..
- Lippert E, Klebl F, Schweller F, Ott C, Gelbmann C, Scholmerich J, et al. Fibrin glue in the endoscopic treatment of fistulae and anastomotic leakages of the gastrointestinal tract. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2011;26:303-11 pubmed publisher..It usually is applied repeatedly. Fibrin glue is a mainstay of this procedure. Major infectious complications seem to define a subgroup of patients with poorer outcome. ..
- Sekiyama E, Nakamura T, Kurihara E, Cooper L, Fullwood N, Takaoka M, et al. Novel sutureless transplantation of bioadhesive-coated, freeze-dried amniotic membrane for ocular surface reconstruction. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:1528-34 pubmed..The FCFD-AM retained most of the biological characteristics of FD-AM. Consequently, this sutureless method of transplantation of FCFD-AM is safe, simple, and useful for ocular surface reconstruction. ..
- Shukla J, Jain P. Preparation of autologous platelet-rich fibrin glue, an effective tissue adhesive in the haematology laboratory. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2004;47:213-4 pubmed
- Everts P, Devilee R, Oosterbos C, Mahoney C, Schattenkerk M, Knape J, et al. Autologous platelet gel and fibrin sealant enhance the efficacy of total knee arthroplasty: improved range of motion, decreased length of stay and a reduced incidence of arthrofibrosis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007;15:888-94 pubmed..We conclude that peri-operatively applied platelet gel and fibrin sealant may improve the range of motion after total knee arthroplasty, decreases the length of stay and may reduce the incidence of arthrofibrosis. ..
- Lau H. Fibrin sealant versus mechanical stapling for mesh fixation during endoscopic extraperitoneal inguinal hernioplasty: a randomized prospective trial. Ann Surg. 2005;242:670-5 pubmed..418). This randomized prospective clinical trial demonstrated a significant reduction of analgesic consumption by using FS for mesh fixation during bilateral TEP, but it was associated with an increased incidence of postoperative seroma. ..
- Cui G, Li J, Lei W, Bi L, Tang P, Liang Y, et al. The mechanical and biological properties of an injectable calcium phosphate cement-fibrin glue composite for bone regeneration. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010;92:377-85 pubmed publisher..05). The results demonstrate that this stronger CPC-FG scaffold may be useful for stem cell-based bone regeneration in moderate load-bearing orthopedic applications. ..
- Shirai T, Shimota H, Chida K, Sano S, Takeuchi Y, Yasueda H. Anaphylaxis to aprotinin in fibrin sealant. Intern Med. 2005;44:1088-9 pubmed..The specific IgE antibody was detected for the solution for fibrinogen and factor XIII containing bovine aprotinin. Cross-reactivity between purified aprotinin and the solution was noted by competitive ELISA inhibition tests. ..
- Dalpiaz O, Neururer R, Bartsch G, Peschel R. Haemostatic sealants in nephron-sparing surgery: what surgeons need to know. BJU Int. 2008;102:1502-8 pubmed publisher..They should not be viewed as an alternative, but as complementary agents to be used to improve surgical outcomes. Further prospective studies are necessary to validate their role in relation to other haemostatic support techniques. ..
- Olmi S, Scaini A, Erba L, Croce E. Use of fibrin glue (Tissucol) in laparoscopic repair of abdominal wall defects: preliminary experience. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:409-13 pubmed..Consequently, laparoscopic treatment of small to medium-sized abdominal defects using this approach is our therapeutic option of choice. ..
- Yoo J, Chandarana S, Cosby R. Clinical application of tissue adhesives in soft-tissue surgery of the head and neck. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;16:312-7 pubmed publisher..Future investigations need to evaluate the benefits of autologous products in both complex and high-risk surgical wounds, incorporating both short-term and long-term outcome metrics of wound healing and fibrosis. ..
- Carless P, Henry D. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the use of fibrin sealant to prevent seroma formation after breast cancer surgery. Br J Surg. 2006;93:810-9 pubmed..The use of fibrin sealant has been proposed as a means of preventing seroma formation following breast cancer surgery. Conflicting trial results require the efficacy of fibrin sealant to be reviewed critically...
- Olmi S, Addis A, Domeneghini C, Scaini A, Croce E. Experimental comparison of type of Tissucol dilution and composite mesh (Parietex) for laparoscopic repair of groin and abdominal hernia: observational study conducted in a university laboratory. Hernia. 2007;11:211-5 pubmed
- Olmi S, Scaini A, Erba L, Guaglio M, Croce E. Quantification of pain in laparoscopic transabdominal preperitoneal (TAPP) inguinal hernioplasty identifies marked differences between prosthesis fixation systems. Surgery. 2007;142:40-6 pubmed..The use of the biocompatible fibrin sealant Tissucol seems to reduce significantly postoperative pain, complications, and resumption to work times compared with other systems. ..
- Kahook M, Noecker R. Fibrin glue-assisted glaucoma drainage device surgery. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90:1486-9 pubmed..Further studies are needed to better understand the role of fibrin glue in GDD implantation. ..
- Kheirkhah A, Casas V, Blanco G, Li W, Hayashida Y, Chen Y, et al. Amniotic membrane transplantation with fibrin glue for conjunctivochalasis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;144:311-3 pubmed..Complications included focal conjunctival inflammation in four eyes and pyogenic granuloma in one eye. AMT using fibrin glue can be performed for refractory CCh resulting in alleviating its symptoms and signs. ..
- Liu B, Wang Z, Liu L, Liu J, Li N, Wang L, et al. Sutureless fixation of amniotic membrane patch as a therapeutic contact lens by using a polymethyl methacrylate ring and fibrin sealant in a rabbit model. Cornea. 2008;27:74-9 pubmed publisher..This sutureless technique may promote increased clinical use of AM patch by alleviating patients' pain and shortening surgical time. ..
- Campanelli G, Champault G, Pascual M, Hoeferlin A, Kingsnorth A, Rosenberg J, et al. Randomized, controlled, blinded trial of Tissucol/Tisseel for mesh fixation in patients undergoing Lichtenstein technique for primary inguinal hernia repair: rationale and study design of the TIMELI trial. Hernia. 2008;12:159-65 pubmed
- Bahar I, Kaiserman I, Slomovic A, McAllum P, Rootman D. Fibrin glue for opposing wound edges in "Top Hat" penetrating keratoplasty: a laboratory study. Cornea. 2007;26:1235-8 pubmed..5 D, whereas the traditional PKP group and the Top Hat PKP group showed an induced astigmatism of 3.1 D each. The use of fibrin glue in Top Hat PKP was found to be more mechanically stable than traditional sutures. ..
- Mooney E, Loh C, Pu L. The use of fibrin glue in plastic surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009;124:989-92 pubmed publisher..This article provides an overview of fibrin glue, including its composition, mechanism of action, availability, safety, efficacy, and potential applications in plastic surgery. ..
- Benthien J, Behrens P. The treatment of chondral and osteochondral defects of the knee with autologous matrix-induced chondrogenesis (AMIC): method description and recent developments. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011;19:1316-9 pubmed publisher..The further development of AMIC is described with an increased focus on the subchondral zone and the complex of cartilage and bone, the osteochondral unit, which receives increased attention in cartilage research. IV. ..
- Chalmers R, Darling Iii R, Wingard J, Chetter I, Cutler B, Kern J, et al. Randomized clinical trial of tranexamic acid-free fibrin sealant during vascular surgical procedures. Br J Surg. 2010;97:1784-9 pubmed publisher..This fibrin sealant was safe, and significantly shortened the time to haemostasis in vascular procedures using PTFE. NCT00154141 (http://www.clinicaltrials.gov). ..
- Marticorena J, Rodríguez Ares M, Touriño R, Mera P, Valladares M, Martinez de la Casa J, et al. Pterygium surgery: conjunctival autograft using a fibrin adhesive. Cornea. 2006;25:34-6 pubmed..Because of its fast and easy application, this product considerably reduces the time of surgery. Its use also avoids complications derived from sutures and diminishes the sensation of a foreign body in the eye following surgery. ..
- Hutchinson R, Broughton D, Barbolt T, Poandl T, Muench T, Rockar R, et al. Hemostatic effectiveness of Fibrin pad after partial nephrectomy in swine. J Surg Res. 2011;167:e291-8 pubmed publisher..No evidence of a systemic or local adverse response was identified due to exposure to the Fibrin pad. ..
- Deeba S, Aziz O, Sains P, Darzi A. Fistula-in-ano: advances in treatment. Am J Surg. 2008;196:95-9 pubmed publisher..New technologies provide promising alternatives to traditional methods of management. There is, however, a real need for high-quality randomized control trials. ..
- Bonatti J, Bechara S, Dall Col M, Cresta F, Carricondo P, Kara Jose N. A fibrin-related line of research and theoretical possibilities for the use of fibrin glue as a temporary basal membrane in non-perforated corneal ulcers and in photorefractive keratectomy (PRK)-operated corneas. Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2007;70:884-9 pubmed
- Lovisetto F, Zonta S, Rota E, Mazzilli M, Bardone M, Bottero L, et al. Use of human fibrin glue (Tissucol) versus staples for mesh fixation in laparoscopic transabdominal preperitoneal hernioplasty: a prospective, randomized study. Ann Surg. 2007;245:222-31 pubmed
- Sii F, Lee G. Fibrin glue in the management of corneal melt. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2005;33:532-4 pubmed..A 40-year-old intellectually disabled man with a corneal melt is reported who was managed successfully using human fibrin glue, alleviating the need for emergency penetrating keratoplasty. ..
- Ozdamar Y, Mutevelli S, Han U, Ileri D, Onal B, Ilhan O, et al. A comparative study of tissue glue and vicryl suture for closing limbal-conjunctival autografts and histologic evaluation after pterygium excision. Cornea. 2008;27:552-8 pubmed publisher..The use of tissue glue decreases patient symptoms during the postoperative period after pterygium surgery. Compared with sutures, tissue glue had no adverse effects on ocular tissue. ..
- Schips L, Dalpiaz O, Cestari A, Lipsky K, Gidaro S, Zigeuner R, et al. Autologous fibrin glue using the Vivostat system for hemostasis in laparoscopic partial nephrectomy. Eur Urol. 2006;50:801-5 pubmed..In this study, immediate haemostasis was achieved and maintained after the kidney was reperfused. Our initial experience with the Vivostat system in laparoscopic partial nephrectomy has been encouraging. ..
- Olmi S, Erba L, Bertolini A, Scaini A, Croce E. Fibrin glue for mesh fixation in laparoscopic transabdominal preperitoneal (TAPP) hernia repair: indications, technique, and outcomes. Surg Endosc. 2006;20:1846-50 pubmed..Patients usually were discharged the day after surgery and returned to work after 5 days. The authors' experience demonstrates that fibrin glue (Tissucol) is an effective method for mesh fixation during TAPP. ..
- Canonico S, Santoriello A, Campitiello F, Fattopace A, Corte A, Sordelli I, et al. Mesh fixation with human fibrin glue (Tissucol) in open tension-free inguinal hernia repair: a preliminary report. Hernia. 2005;9:330-3 pubmed..No complications were observed at 12-month follow-up. This study confirms the efficacy of mesh fixation with human fibrin glue, and supports the viability of a sutureless Lichtenstein procedure. ..
- Alston S, Solen K, Broderick A, Sukavaneshvar S, Mohammad S. New method to prepare autologous fibrin glue on demand. Transl Res. 2007;149:187-95 pubmed..Autologous fibrin sealant is an attractive alternative to commercial sealants. It can be readily prepared from 5-mL plasma or more and exhibits mechanical properties equivalent to those of the leading commercial sealant. ..
- Ozcan A. Autologous human fibrin glue in multilayered amniotic membrane transplantation. Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie). 2008;40:107-9 pubmed..Defective epithelium of descemetocele was removed; separate and multilayered amniotic membranes were transplanted using autologous human fibrin glue. Finally a large amnion at the top was sutured on the cornea. ..
- Everts P, Knape J, Weibrich G, Schönberger J, Hoffmann J, Overdevest E, et al. Platelet-rich plasma and platelet gel: a review. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2006;38:174-87 pubmed..This review addresses a large variety of aspects relevant to platelets, platelet-rich plasma, and the application of platelet gel. In addition, an overview of recent animal and human studies is presented. ..
- Mawatari M, Higo T, Tsutsumi Y, Shigematsu M, Hotokebuchi T. Effectiveness of autologous fibrin tissue adhesive in reducing postoperative blood loss during total hip arthroplasty: a prospective randomised study of 100 cases. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2006;14:117-21 pubmedTo evaluate the effectiveness of autologous fibrin tissue adhesive (auto-FTA) in reducing blood loss during cementless total hip arthroplasty (THA)...
- Horowitz B, Busch M. Estimating the pathogen safety of manufactured human plasma products: application to fibrin sealants and to thrombin. Transfusion. 2008;48:1739-53 pubmed publisher..Despite this, parvovirus transmissions should be rare. Manufacturers are encouraged to continue exploring processes to further enlarge parvovirus safety margins and to continue exploring ways of eliminating prions. ..