transferrin binding protein b
Summary: A subtype of bacterial transferrin-binding protein found in bacteria. It forms a cell surface receptor complex with TRANSFERRIN-BINDING PROTEIN A.
- Anderson J, Sparling P, Cornelissen C. Gonococcal transferrin-binding protein 2 facilitates but is not essential for transferrin utilization. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:3162-70 pubmed..These results suggest that tbpB and tbpA are polycistronic. Tbp2 apparently facilitates binding of Tf but is not essential for acquisition of iron from Tf under these in vitro conditions. ..
- Renauld Mongénie G, Poncet D, Mignon M, Fraysse S, Chabanel C, Danve B, et al. Role of transferrin receptor from a Neisseria meningitidis tbpB isotype II strain in human transferrin binding and virulence. Infect Immun. 2004;72:3461-70 pubmed..Both the TbpB- TbpA- mutant and the TbpA- mutant are shown to be nonvirulent in mice, whereas the virulence of the TbpB- mutant is similar to that of the wild type. ..
- Harrison O, Maiden M, Rokbi B. Distribution of transferrin binding protein B gene (tbpB) variants among Neisseria species. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:66 pubmed publisherb>Transferrin binding protein B (tbpB), an outer membrane lipoprotein, is required for the acquisition of iron from human transferrin. Two tbpB families have been documented in Neisseria meningitidis: an isotype I tbpB gene of 1...
- Jacobsen I, Gerstenberger J, Gruber A, Bosse J, Langford P, Hennig Pauka I, et al. Deletion of the ferric uptake regulator Fur impairs the in vitro growth and virulence of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. Infect Immun. 2005;73:3740-4 pubmed..pleuropneumoniae Deltafur. This mutant showed constitutive expression of transferrin-binding proteins, growth deficiencies in vitro, and reduced virulence in an aerosol infection model...
- Legrain M, Speck D, Jacobs E. Production of lipidated meningococcal transferrin binding protein 2 in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif. 1995;6:570-8 pubmed..With one of these, an efficient maturation and a high amount of mature lipidated Tbp2 were obtained (about 3% of total cell proteins). A large-scale production process was then established for this E. coli-produced Tbp2. ..
- Price G, Russell M, Cornelissen C. Intranasal administration of recombinant Neisseria gonorrhoeae transferrin binding proteins A and B conjugated to the cholera toxin B subunit induces systemic and vaginal antibodies in mice. Infect Immun. 2005;73:3945-53 pubmed..By contrast, antibodies elicited via subcutaneous immunization were not cross-bactericidal against heterologous strains, indicating that IN vaccination could be the preferred route for elicitation of biologically functional antibodies. ..
- Renauld Mongenie G, Latour M, Poncet D, Naville S, Quentin Millet M. Both the full-length and the N-terminal domain of the meningococcal transferrin-binding protein B discriminate between human iron-loaded and apo-transferrin. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;169:171-7 pubmed..As for the full-length molecule, we have demonstrated that the minimal N-terminal hTf binding domain of meningococcal TbpB from B16B6 and M982 strains was able to discriminate between both hTf forms. ..
- Boulton I, Gorringe A, Allison N, Robinson A, Gorinsky B, Joannou C, et al. Transferrin-binding protein B isolated from Neisseria meningitidis discriminates between apo and diferric human transferrin. Biochem J. 1998;334 ( Pt 1):269-73 pubmed..We propose that, in vivo, TbpA and TbpB also exist as a receptor complex, with TbpB selectively binding diferric hTF, bringing it close to TbpA, the transmembrane component, where the ferric iron can be transported to the periplasm. ..
- Retzer M, Yu R, Schryvers A. Identification of sequences in human transferrin that bind to the bacterial receptor protein, transferrin-binding protein B. Mol Microbiol. 1999;32:111-21 pubmed..Collectively, these results provide evidence that TbpB consists of two lobes, each with distinct yet homologous Tf-binding regions. ..
- Webb D, Cripps A. Immunization with recombinant transferrin binding protein B enhances clearance of nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae from the rat lung. Infect Immun. 1999;67:2138-44 pubmed
- Renauld Mongenie G, Poncet D, von Olleschik Elbheim L, Cournez T, Mignon M, Schmidt M, et al. Identification of human transferrin-binding sites within meningococcal transferrin-binding protein B. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:6400-7 pubmed..meningitidis and propose that the N- and C-terminal domains together contribute to the efficient binding of TbpB to hTf with their respective affinities and specificities for determinants of their ligand. ..
- Pintor M, Ferron L, Gomez J, Gorringe A, Criado M, Ferreiros C. Blocking of iron uptake by monoclonal antibodies specific for the Neisseria meningitidis transferrin-binding protein 2. J Med Microbiol. 1996;45:252-7 pubmed..These epitopes may become denatured after drying for dot-blot assays or after SDS-PAGE and electroblotting. ..
- Krell T, Renauld Mongénie G, Nicolai M, Fraysse S, Chevalier M, Bérard Y, et al. Insight into the structure and function of the transferrin receptor from Neisseria meningitidis using microcalorimetric techniques. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:14712-22 pubmed..The N-terminal domain of TbpB was shown to be the site of htf binding, whereas the C-terminal domain is not involved in binding. Furthermore, the interactions between TbpA and the different domains of TbpB have been demonstrated. ..
- Delany I, Ieva R, Alaimo C, Rappuoli R, Scarlato V. The iron-responsive regulator fur is transcriptionally autoregulated and not essential in Neisseria meningitidis. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:6032-41 pubmed..The presence of two independently regulated fur promoters may allow meningococcus to fine-tune expression of this regulator controlling iron homeostasis, possibly during infection. ..
- Price G, Hobbs M, Cornelissen C. Immunogenicity of gonococcal transferrin binding proteins during natural infections. Infect Immun. 2004;72:277-83 pubmed
- Agarwal S, King C, Klein E, Soper D, Rice P, Wetzler L, et al. The gonococcal Fur-regulated tbpA and tbpB genes are expressed during natural mucosal gonococcal infection. Infect Immun. 2005;73:4281-7 pubmed..These results indicate that gonococcal iron- and Fur-regulated tbpA and tbpB genes are expressed in gonococcal infection and that male subjects with mucosal gonococcal infections exhibit antibodies to these proteins. ..
- del Rio M, Gutiérrez Martín C, Rodríguez Barbosa J, Navas J, Rodríguez Ferri E. Identification and characterization of the TonB region and its role in transferrin-mediated iron acquisition in Haemophilus parasuis. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2005;45:75-86 pubmed
- Wilton J, Ala Aldeen D, Palmer H, Borriello S. Cloning and partial sequence of transferrin-binding protein 2 of Neisseria meningitidis using a novel method: twin N-terminal PCR. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1993;107:59-66 pubmed..examined, indicating successful cloning of the gene for TBP-2 and showing it to be adjacent to and preceding TBP-1 on the chromosome for both N. meningitidis and N. gonorrhoeae. ..
- Ferreiros C, Ferron L, Criado M. In vivo human immune response to transferrin-binding protein 2 and other iron-regulated proteins of Neisseria meningitidis. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 1994;8:63-8 pubmed..s two-group classification of N. meningitidis strains, and provide evidence against the possibility that the antigenic domains shared by the TBP2s of all N. meningitidis strains induce immune responses in vivo. ..
- Yu R, Schryvers A. The interaction between human transferrin and transferrin binding protein 2 from Moraxella (Branhamella) catarrhalis differs from that of other human pathogens. Microb Pathog. 1993;15:433-45 pubmed..catarrhalis Tbp2, possibly implicating the involvement of several regions in the binding interaction. ..
- Moraes T, Yu R, Strynadka N, Schryvers A. Insights into the bacterial transferrin receptor: the structure of transferrin-binding protein B from Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. Mol Cell. 2009;35:523-33 pubmed publisher..Mutation of a single surface-exposed Phe residue on TbpB within the predicted interface completely abolishes binding to Tf, suggesting that the TbpB N lobe comprises the sole high-affinity binding region for Tf. ..
- Kim T, Lee J. Cloning and expression of genes encoding transferrin-binding protein A and B from Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae serotype 5. Protein Expr Purif. 2006;45:235-40 pubmed..This result indicates that the recombinant proteins can induce immunological responses and might be useful as candidate targets for A. pleuropneumoniae vaccination. ..
- Thomas C, Zhu W, Van Dam C, Davis N, Johnston R, Sparling P. Vaccination of mice with gonococcal TbpB expressed in vivo from Venezuelan equine encephalitis viral replicon particles. Infect Immun. 2006;74:1612-20 pubmedWe investigated the immunogenicity of gonococcal transferrin binding protein B (TbpB) expressed with and without a eukaryotic secretion signal from a nonpropagating Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus replicon particle (VRP) delivery ..
- Stokes R, Oakhill J, Joannou C, Gorringe A, Evans R. Meningococcal transferrin-binding proteins A and B show cooperation in their binding kinetics for human transferrin. Infect Immun. 2005;73:944-52 pubmed..However, iron loss from the diferric human transferrin-TbpA-TbpB complex was not greater than that from human transferrin alone, suggesting that additional meningococcal transport components are involved in the process of iron removal. ..
- Price G, Masri H, Hollander A, Russell M, Cornelissen C. Gonococcal transferrin binding protein chimeras induce bactericidal and growth inhibitory antibodies in mice. Vaccine. 2007;25:7247-60 pubmed..This study highlights the potential of using protective epitopes instead of full-length proteins in the development of an efficacious gonococcal vaccine. ..
- Martin I, Ison C, Aanensen D, Fenton K, Spratt B. Rapid sequence-based identification of gonococcal transmission clusters in a large metropolitan area. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:1497-505 pubmed
- Coppens I, Alonso S, Antoine R, Jacob Dubuisson F, Renauld Mongenie G, Jacobs E, et al. Production of Neisseria meningitidis transferrin-binding protein B by recombinant Bordetella pertussis. Infect Immun. 2001;69:5440-6 pubmed..meningitidis. These observations indicate that recombinant B. pertussis may be a promising vector for the development of a mucosal vaccine against serogroup B meningococci. ..
- Ferron L, Ferreiros C, Criado M, Pintor M. Immunogenicity and antigenic heterogeneity of a human transferrin-binding protein in Neisseria meningitidis. Infect Immun. 1992;60:2887-92 pubmed..Under the iron restriction conditions used, all strains synthesized a non-TBP2 antigenic 56-kDa protein thought to be a stress protein. ..
- Stevenson P, Williams P, Griffiths E. Common antigenic domains in transferrin-binding protein 2 of Neisseria meningitidis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and Haemophilus influenzae type b. Infect Immun. 1992;60:2391-6 pubmed..influenzae type b, thus showing the presence of common antigenic domains among these functionally equivalent proteins in different pathogens; no cross-reaction was detected with a purified sample of the human transferrin receptor. ..
- Palmer H, Powell N, Ala Aldeen D, Wilton J, Borriello S. Neisseria meningitidis transferrin-binding protein 1 expressed in Escherichia coli is surface exposed and binds human transferrin. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1993;110:139-45 pubmed..The expressed protein (approx. 100 kDa) reacted with antiserum to an N-terminal peptide of TBP-1. In addition, the native product was surface-expressed by Escherichia coli and bound human transferrin. ..
- Nemish U, Yu R, Tari L, Krewulak K, Schryvers A. The bacterial receptor protein, transferrin-binding protein B, does not independently facilitate the release of metal ion from human transferrin. Biochem Cell Biol. 2003;81:275-83 pubmed..The transferrin receptor is composed of a largely surface-exposed lipoprotein, transferrin binding protein B, and a TonB-dependent integral outer membrane protein, transferrin binding protein A...
- Johnson A, Gorringe A, Fox A, Borrow R, Robinson A. Analysis of the human Ig isotype response to individual transferrin binding proteins A and B from Neisseria meningitidis. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 1997;19:159-67 pubmed..in cases of meningococcal disease to meningococcal TbpA (transferrin binding protein A) and TbpB (transferrin binding protein B) from two strains (SD and B16B6) expressing high and low molecular mass TbpB respectively...
- Ferron L, Ferreiros C, Criado M, Pintor M. Reliability of laboratory models in the analysis of TBP2 and other meningococcal antigens. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 1994;9:299-305 pubmed..We suggest that careful analysis and evaluation of experimental results and their comparison with in vivo elicited immune responses are essential in order to get accurate extrapolations for experimental vaccine designs. ..
- Raszeja Wyszomirska J, Ławniczak M, Milkiewicz P. [Novel aspects of pathogenesis of hereditary hemochromatosis]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2008;24:54-8 pubmed..The result of such a wide investigations is OMIM classification of hereditaty hemochromatosis, typing four types of the disease. ..
- Lissolo L, Maitre Wilmotte G, Dumas P, Mignon M, Danve B, Quentin Millet M. Evaluation of transferrin-binding protein 2 within the transferrin-binding protein complex as a potential antigen for future meningococcal vaccines. Infect Immun. 1995;63:884-90 pubmed..This suggests that Tbp2 plays an important role in the protective activity of the complex, eliciting antibodies that are not only bactericidal but also inhibitory for meningococcal growth. ..
- Ferron L, Ferreiros C, Criado M, Andrade M. Purification of the Neisseria meningitidis transferrin binding protein-2 (TBP2) to homogeneity using column chromatography. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1993;109:159-65 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the conservation of the antigenic reactivity of this protein, which produces monospecific serum with the antibodies elicited reacting exclusively with the TBP2 in whole outer membrane vesicles. ..
- Kim T, Kim K, Lee J. Stimulation of mucosal and systemic antibody responses against recombinant transferrin-binding protein B of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae with chitosan after tracheal administration in piglets. J Vet Med Sci. 2007;69:535-9 pubmed..The chitosan formulation was found to enhance mucosal immune response, as measured by the secretory IgA level in lung lavage fluid and lung homogenate extracts, and systemic immune response, as measured by the serum IgG level. ..
- Legrain M, Findeli A, Villeval D, Quentin Millet M, Jacobs E. Molecular characterization of hybrid Tbp2 proteins from Neisseria meningitidis. Mol Microbiol. 1996;19:159-69 pubmed..The analysis of two tbp2 clones characterized in this work supports this hypothesis. ..
- Rokbi B, Mignon M, Maitre Wilmotte G, Lissolo L, Danve B, Caugant D, et al. Evaluation of recombinant transferrin-binding protein B variants from Neisseria meningitidis for their ability to induce cross-reactive and bactericidal antibodies against a genetically diverse collection of serogroup B strains. Infect Immun. 1997;65:55-63 pubmed
- Menendez T, Perez M, Alvarez A. Antigenic and genetic characterization of a putative hybrid transferrin-binding protein B from Neisseria meningitidis. Can J Microbiol. 1999;45:1050-4 pubmed..This report illustrates a TbpB that shows hybrid antigenic and genetic behaviour. ..
- McMichael J. Vaccines for Moraxella catarrhalis. Vaccine. 2000;19 Suppl 1:S101-7 pubmed..A (LbpA) and lactoferrin binding protein B (LbpB), the transferrin binding protein A (TbpA) and transferrin binding protein B (TbpB), the CD and E porins, and the Catarrhalis outer membrane protein B (CopB)...
- Ferreirós C, Ferreiro N, Criado M. [Influence of adjuvants on the ability of anti-Tbp antibodies to block transferrin binding, iron uptake and growth of Neisseria meningitis]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2002;20:316-20 pubmed
- Sims K, Schryvers A. Peptide-peptide interactions between human transferrin and transferrin-binding protein B from Moraxella catarrhalis. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:2603-10 pubmed..Thus, individual peptide-peptide interactions between ligand and receptor were identified. A structural model of human transferrin was used to map surface regions capable of binding to TbpB. ..
- Boulton I, Gorringe A, Gorinsky B, Retzer M, Schryvers A, Joannou C, et al. Purified meningococcal transferrin-binding protein B interacts with a secondary, strain-specific, binding site in the N-terminal lobe of human transferrin. Biochem J. 1999;339 ( Pt 1):143-9 pubmed..The limited divergence between hTF and bTF has been related to observed differences in binding by Tbps and has been used to delineate those regions of hTF that are important for such interactions. ..
- Valla F. Subarachnoid-pleural fistula in an infant treated with mechanical positive-pressure ventilation. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2007;8:386-8 pubmed
- Krell T, Chevalier M, Lissolo L. Affinity-purification of Transferrin-binding protein B under nondenaturing conditions. Protein Expr Purif. 2002;24:323-8 pubmed..Furthermore, isothermal titration calorimetry experiments of the purified protein with holotransferrin have been shown to be a reliable method to assess the purity and activity of the purified material. ..
- Ekins A, Bahrami F, Sijercic A, Maret D, Niven D. Haemophilus somnus possesses two systems for acquisition of transferrin-bound iron. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:4407-11 pubmed..Expression of TbpB and the single-component TbpA would appear to be subject to a form of phase variation involving homopolymeric nucleotide tracts within the structural genes...
- Yost Daljev M, Cornelissen C. Determination of surface-exposed, functional domains of gonococcal transferrin-binding protein A. Infect Immun. 2004;72:1775-85 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of the ability of TbpB to compensate for a mutation in TbpA. ..