transferrin binding protein a
Summary: A subtype of bacterial transferrin-binding protein found in bacteria. It forms a cell surface receptor complex with TRANSFERRIN-BINDING PROTEIN B.
- Yost Daljev M, Cornelissen C. Determination of surface-exposed, functional domains of gonococcal transferrin-binding protein A. Infect Immun. 2004;72:1775-85 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of the ability of TbpB to compensate for a mutation in TbpA. ..
- Price G, Hobbs M, Cornelissen C. Immunogenicity of gonococcal transferrin binding proteins during natural infections. Infect Immun. 2004;72:277-83 pubmed..Recombinant transferrin binding protein A (rTbpA) and rTbpB were purified under nondenaturing conditions for use as ELISA antigens...
- Ekins A, Niven D. Transferrin-dependent expression of TbpA by Histophilus ovis involves a poly G tract within tbpA. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;220:95-8 pubmed..It is concluded that the Tf-dependent expression of TbpA in H. ovis strain 3384Y is due to a form of phase variation. ..
- Roulhac P, Powell K, Dhungana S, Weaver K, Mietzner T, Crumbliss A, et al. SUPREX (Stability of Unpurified Proteins from Rates of H/D Exchange) analysis of the thermodynamics of synergistic anion binding by ferric-binding protein (FbpA), a bacterial transferrin. Biochemistry. 2004;43:15767-74 pubmed..43 +/- 0.17 kcal/mol, and (iii) helps substantiate our hypothesis that the synergistic anion plays a role in controlling the lability of iron bound to FbpA in the transport process. ..
- Oakhill J, Sutton B, Gorringe A, Evans R. Homology modelling of transferrin-binding protein A from Neisseria meningitidis. Protein Eng Des Sel. 2005;18:221-8 pubmed..The relevance of this channel and the spatial arrangement of external loops, to the mechanism of iron translocation employed by TbpA is discussed. ..
- Krell T, Renauld Mongénie G, Nicolai M, Fraysse S, Chevalier M, Bérard Y, et al. Insight into the structure and function of the transferrin receptor from Neisseria meningitidis using microcalorimetric techniques. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:14712-22 pubmed..The N-terminal domain of TbpB was shown to be the site of htf binding, whereas the C-terminal domain is not involved in binding. Furthermore, the interactions between TbpA and the different domains of TbpB have been demonstrated. ..
- Shivachandra S, Kumar A, Amaranath J, Joseph S, Srivastava S, Chaudhuri P. Cloning and characterization of tbpA gene encoding transferrin-binding protein (TbpA) from Pasteurella multocida serogroup B:2 (strain P52). Vet Res Commun. 2005;29:537-42 pubmed
- Price G, Masri H, Hollander A, Russell M, Cornelissen C. Gonococcal transferrin binding protein chimeras induce bactericidal and growth inhibitory antibodies in mice. Vaccine. 2007;25:7247-60 pubmed..This study highlights the potential of using protective epitopes instead of full-length proteins in the development of an efficacious gonococcal vaccine. ..
- Hayashida H, Poulsen K, Kilian M. Differences in iron acquisition from human haemoglobin among strains of Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans. Microbiology. 2002;148:3993-4001 pubmed..Thus, the presence of an hgpA pseudogene and the inability to use human haemoglobin as an iron source discriminate the high-toxic JP2 clone from low-toxic serotype b strains and most other strains of A. actinomycetemcomitans. ..
- Price G, Russell M, Cornelissen C. Intranasal administration of recombinant Neisseria gonorrhoeae transferrin binding proteins A and B conjugated to the cholera toxin B subunit induces systemic and vaginal antibodies in mice. Infect Immun. 2005;73:3945-53 pubmed..By contrast, antibodies elicited via subcutaneous immunization were not cross-bactericidal against heterologous strains, indicating that IN vaccination could be the preferred route for elicitation of biologically functional antibodies. ..
- de la Puente Redondo V, Navas Méndez J, García del Blanco N, Ladrón Boronat N, Gutiérrez Martín C, Rodriguez Ferri E. Typing of Haemophilus parasuis strains by PCR-RFLP analysis of the tbpA gene. Vet Microbiol. 2003;92:253-62 pubmed..93 versus 0.84 for immunodiffusion), simplicity and low cost per test make this PCR-RFLP assay a useful method for typing H. parasuis and, therefore, for studying the epidemiology of outbreaks of Glässer's disease...
- Kim T, Lee J. Cloning and expression of genes encoding transferrin-binding protein A and B from Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae serotype 5. Protein Expr Purif. 2006;45:235-40 pubmed..This result indicates that the recombinant proteins can induce immunological responses and might be useful as candidate targets for A. pleuropneumoniae vaccination. ..