Genomes and Genes
bacterial outer membrane proteins
Summary: Proteins isolated from the outer membrane of Gram-negative bacteria.
- Ho D, Riva R, Kirjavainen V, Jarva H, Ginström E, Blom A, et al. Functional recruitment of the human complement inhibitor C4BP to Yersinia pseudotuberculosis outer membrane protein Ail. J Immunol. 2012;188:4450-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Y. pseudotuberculosis Ail recruits C4BP in a functional manner, facilitating resistance to attack from complement. ..
- Goel D, Bhatnagar R. Intradermal immunization with outer membrane protein 25 protects Balb/c mice from virulent B. abortus 544. Mol Immunol. 2012;51:159-68 pubmed publisher..This can be a possible reason behind the protection observed in mice after rOmp25 immunization. Thus, our study proposes recombinant Omp25 to be a potential subunit vaccine candidate against brucellosis...
- Gu S, Rehman S, Wang X, Shevchik V, Pickersgill R. Structural and functional insights into the pilotin-secretin complex of the type II secretion system. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002531 pubmed publisher..Data collected from crystals of the complex suggests how the secretin peptide binds to the pilotin and further experiments confirm the importance of these C-terminal residues in vivo. ..
- Bentancor L, Routray A, Bozkurt Guzel C, Camacho Peiro A, Pier G, Maira Litran T. Evaluation of the trimeric autotransporter Ata as a vaccine candidate against Acinetobacter baumannii infections. Infect Immun. 2012;80:3381-8 pubmed publisher..The ability of Ata to engender anti-adhesive, bactericidal, opsonophagocytic, and protective antibodies validates its potential use as an antigenic target against MDR A. baumannii infections...
- Tsang T, Annis D, Kronshage M, Fenno J, Usselman L, Mosher D, et al. Ail protein binds ninth type III fibronectin repeat (9FNIII) within central 120-kDa region of fibronectin to facilitate cell binding by Yersinia pestis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:16759-67 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Ail binds to (9)FNIII of Fn and presents Fn to host cells to facilitate cell binding and delivery of Yops (cytotoxins of Y. pestis), a novel interaction, distinct from other bacterial Fn-binding proteins...
- Mostachio A, Levin A, Rizek C, Rossi F, Zerbini J, Costa S. High prevalence of OXA-143 and alteration of outer membrane proteins in carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter spp. isolates in Brazil. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2012;39:396-401 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, decreased OMP 33-36 kDa was found in five strains. The high prevalence of OXA-143 and alteration of OMPs might have been associated with a high level of carbapenem resistance...
- Waldminghaus T, Weigel C, Skarstad K. Replication fork movement and methylation govern SeqA binding to the Escherichia coli chromosome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:5465-76 pubmed publisher..The finding suggests simultaneous origin de-sequestration and loss of SeqA from old replication forks. ..
- Christerson L, Bom R, Bruisten S, Yass R, Hardick J, Bratt G, et al. Chlamydia trachomatis strains show specific clustering for men who have sex with men compared to heterosexual populations in Sweden, the Netherlands, and the United States. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:3548-55 pubmed publisher..Our study supports the hypotheses of both tissue tropism as well as epidemiological network structures as explanations for the linkage between specific genetic variants and sexual orientation...
- Saleem M, Prince S, Rigby S, Imran M, Patel H, Chan H, et al. Use of a molecular decoy to segregate transport from antigenicity in the FrpB iron transporter from Neisseria meningitidis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56746 pubmed publisher..This would enable FrpB to function as a transporter independently of antibody binding, by using the antigenic sub-domain as a 'molecular decoy' to distract immune surveillance...
- Rolfe M, Ocone A, Stapleton M, Hall S, Trotter E, Poole R, et al. Systems analysis of transcription factor activities in environments with stable and dynamic oxygen concentrations. Open Biol. 2012;2:120091 pubmed publisher..Thus, this approach illustrates how systematic examination of regulatory responses in stable and dynamic environments yields new mechanistic insights into adaptive processes. ..
- Bidart G, Ruiz J, de Almeida A, Méndez B, Nikel P. Manipulation of the anoxic metabolism in Escherichia coli by ArcB deletion variants in the ArcBA two-component system. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:8784-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeted modification of global regulators to obtain different metabolic flux distributions under anoxic conditions is emerging as an attractive tool for metabolic engineering purposes. ..
- Otsuka N, Han H, Toyoizumi Ajisaka H, Nakamura Y, Arakawa Y, Shibayama K, et al. Prevalence and genetic characterization of pertactin-deficient Bordetella pertussis in Japan. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31985 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggested that human host factors (genetic factors and immune status) that select for Prn(-) strains have arisen and that Prn expression is not essential for fitness under these conditions. ..
- Yang H, Tan Y, Zhang T, Tang L, Wang J, Ke Y, et al. Identification of novel protein-protein interactions of Yersinia pestis type III secretion system by yeast two hybrid system. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54121 pubmed publisher..Several potential new interactions among T3SS components could help to understand the assembly and regulation of Yersinia T3SS. ..
- Chatterjee S, Chaudhury S, McShan A, Kaur K, De Guzman R. Structure and biophysics of type III secretion in bacteria. Biochemistry. 2013;52:2508-17 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the latest developments and future challenges concerning the structure and biophysics of the needle apparatus. ..
- Meyer J, Dobias D, Weitz J, Barrick J, Quick R, Lenski R. Repeatability and contingency in the evolution of a key innovation in phage lambda. Science. 2012;335:428-32 pubmed publisher..This study shows the complex interplay between genomic processes and ecological conditions that favor the emergence of evolutionary innovations. ..
- Harris S, Clarke I, Seth Smith H, Solomon A, Cutcliffe L, Marsh P, et al. Whole-genome analysis of diverse Chlamydia trachomatis strains identifies phylogenetic relationships masked by current clinical typing. Nat Genet. 2012;44:413-9, S1 pubmed publisher..We used our phylogenetic framework to show how genetic exchange has manifested itself in ocular, urogenital and LGV C. trachomatis strains, including the epidemic LGV serotype L2b. ..
- Bestor A, Rego R, Tilly K, Rosa P. Competitive advantage of Borrelia burgdorferi with outer surface protein BBA03 during tick-mediated infection of the mammalian host. Infect Immun. 2012;80:3501-11 pubmed publisher..burgdorferi. These results suggest that BBA03 provides a competitive advantage to spirochetes carrying this protein during tick transmission to a mammalian host in the natural infectious cycle. ..
- Hegerle N, Paris A, Brun D, Dore G, Njamkepo E, Guillot S, et al. Evolution of French Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis isolates: increase of Bordetellae not expressing pertactin. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012;18:E340-6 pubmed publisher..pertussis, aP vaccine-induced immunity enabled the number of circulating B. pertussis and B. parapertussis isolates not expressing virulence factors to increase, sustaining our previous hypothesis. ..
- Pore D, Mahata N, Chakrabarti M. Outer membrane protein A (OmpA) of Shigella flexneri 2a links innate and adaptive immunity in a TLR2-dependent manner and involvement of IL-12 and nitric oxide. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:12589-601 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that S. flexneri 2a OmpA may play a critical role in the development of Th1 skewed adaptive immune response. ..
- Nesbit A, Fleischhacker A, Teter S, Kiley P. ArcA and AppY antagonize IscR repression of hydrogenase-1 expression under anaerobic conditions, revealing a novel mode of O2 regulation of gene expression in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:6892-9 pubmed publisher..In sum, a combination of ArcA and AppY antirepression of IscR function, lower levels of IscR, and weak repression by [2Fe-2S]-IscR leads to increased P(hyaA) expression under anaerobic conditions. ..
- Hillman R, Baktash Y, Martinez J. OmpA-mediated rickettsial adherence to and invasion of human endothelial cells is dependent upon interaction with ?2?1 integrin. Cell Microbiol. 2013;15:727-41 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that multiple adhesin-receptor pairs are sufficient in mediating efficient bacterial invasion of R. conorii. ..
- Berlanda Scorza F, Colucci A, Maggiore L, Sanzone S, Rossi O, Ferlenghi I, et al. High yield production process for Shigella outer membrane particles. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35616 pubmed publisher..This work provides the basis for a large scale manufacturing process of Generalized Modules of Membrane Antigens (GMMA) for production of vaccines from gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Onder O, Humphrey P, McOmber B, Korobova F, Francella N, Greenbaum D, et al. OspC is potent plasminogen receptor on surface of Borrelia burgdorferi. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:16860-8 pubmed publisher..The co-localization of plasminogen and OspC on OspC-expressing spirochetes further implicates OspC as a biologically relevant plasminogen receptor on the surface of live B. burgdorferi. ..
- Naveed H, Jimenez Morales D, Tian J, Pasupuleti V, Kenney L, Liang J. Engineered oligomerization state of OmpF protein through computational design decouples oligomer dissociation from unfolding. J Mol Biol. 2012;419:89-101 pubmed publisher..either with energetically favorable residues or substitutions that do not occur in natural bacterial outer membrane proteins, we succeeded in engineering OmpF mutants with dimeric and monomeric oligomerization states instead ..
- Houppert A, Kwiatkowski E, Glass E, Debord K, Merritt P, Schneewind O, et al. Identification of chromosomal genes in Yersinia pestis that influence type III secretion and delivery of Yops into target cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34039 pubmed publisher..Together these results demonstrate the importance of Y. pestis chromosomal genes in the proper function of type III secretion and in the pathogenesis of plague. ..
- Kim K, Aulakh S, Paetzel M. The bacterial outer membrane ?-barrel assembly machinery. Protein Sci. 2012;21:751-68 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the significant progress that has been made toward understanding the structure and function of the bacterial BAM complex. ..
- Morales E, Calder n I, Collao B, Gil F, Porwollik S, McClelland M, et al. Hypochlorous acid and hydrogen peroxide-induced negative regulation of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium ompW by the response regulator ArcA. BMC Microbiol. 2012;12:63 pubmed publisher..OmpW allows the influx of H2O2 and HOCl and is negatively regulated by ArcA by direct interaction with the ompW promoter region upon exposure to both toxic compounds...
- Pathak D, Wei X, Bucuvalas A, Haft D, Gerloff D, Wall D. Cell contact-dependent outer membrane exchange in myxobacteria: genetic determinants and mechanism. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002626 pubmed publisher..We further hypothesize that cell contact-dependent exchange helps myxobacteria to coordinate their social behaviors...
- Yu Q, Chen C, Chen Q, Zhang L. Expression and immunogenicity of recombinant immunoreactive surface protein 2 of Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2012;19:919-23 pubmed publisher..We concluded that the recombinant MSP2 protein exhibited excellent antigenicity and specificity, results that should lay the foundation for the development of a simple and rapid diagnostic reagent and a vaccination for anaplasmosis...
- Luo G, Lin L, Ibrahim A, Baquir B, Pantapalangkoor P, Bonomo R, et al. Active and passive immunization protects against lethal, extreme drug resistant-Acinetobacter baumannii infection. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29446 pubmed publisher..baumannii. These results define active and passive immunization strategies to prevent and treat highly lethal, XDR A. baumannii infections. ..
- Webb C, Selkrig J, Perry A, Noinaj N, Buchanan S, Lithgow T. Dynamic association of BAM complex modules includes surface exposure of the lipoprotein BamC. J Mol Biol. 2012;422:545-55 pubmed publisher..The modular arrangement and topological features provide new insight into the architecture of the BAM complex, towards a better understanding of the mechanism driving Î²-barrel membrane protein assembly. ..
- Floden A, Gonzalez T, Gaultney R, Brissette C. Evaluation of RevA, a fibronectin-binding protein of Borrelia burgdorferi, as a potential vaccine candidate for lyme disease. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013;20:892-9 pubmed publisher..However, passive immunization with anti-RevA antibodies did prevent infection, suggesting the possible utility of RevA-based immunotherapeutics or vaccine. ..
- Ricci D, Hagan C, Kahne D, Silhavy T. Activation of the Escherichia coli ?-barrel assembly machine (Bam) is required for essential components to interact properly with substrate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:3487-91 pubmed publisher..These results imply that BamA and BamD interact directly with OMP substrates. ..
- Kollipara A, Wan C, Rawlinson G, Brumm J, Nilsson K, Polkinghorne A, et al. Antigenic specificity of a monovalent versus polyvalent MOMP based Chlamydia pecorum vaccine in koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus). Vaccine. 2013;31:1217-23 pubmed publisher..pecorum vaccine that could protect against a range of strains...
- Anwari K, Webb C, Poggio S, Perry A, Belousoff M, Celik N, et al. The evolution of new lipoprotein subunits of the bacterial outer membrane BAM complex. Mol Microbiol. 2012;84:832-44 pubmed publisher..BamF and BamD can be eluted from the BAM complex under similar conditions, mirroring the BamC:D module seen in the BAM complex of ?-proteobacteria such as E. coli. ..
- Brisson D, Drecktrah D, Eggers C, Samuels D. Genetics of Borrelia burgdorferi. Annu Rev Genet. 2012;46:515-36 pubmed publisher..One of the most intriguing genetic systems in B. burgdorferi is vls recombination, which generates antigenic variation during infection of mammalian hosts...
- Costa T, Amer A, Fallman M, Fahlgren A, Francis M. Coiled-coils in the YopD translocator family: a predicted structure unique to the YopD N-terminus contributes to full virulence of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis. Infect Genet Evol. 2012;12:1729-42 pubmed publisher..Sub-optimal T3SSs are then formed that are unable to fortify Yersinia against attack by the host innate and adaptive immune response. ..
- Chávez A, Felsheim R, Kurtti T, Ku P, Brayton K, Munderloh U. Expression patterns of Anaplasma marginale Msp2 variants change in response to growth in cattle, and tick cells versus mammalian cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36012 pubmed publisher..The selection of a specific structure in surface proteins may indicate that Msp2 fulfils an important role in infection and adaptation to diverse host systems. Supplemental Abstract in Spanish (File S1) is provided...
- Leonard Rivera M, Misra R. Conserved residues of the putative L6 loop of Escherichia coli BamA play a critical role in the assembly of ?-barrel outer membrane proteins, including that of BamA itself. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:4662-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, the conserved (641)RGF(643) residues of the BamA L6 loop are important for BamA folding and biogenesis. ..
- Flayhan A, Wien F, Paternostre M, Boulanger P, Breyton C. New insights into pb5, the receptor binding protein of bacteriophage T5, and its interaction with its Escherichia coli receptor FhuA. Biochimie. 2012;94:1982-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first structural information regarding the binding of a RBP to a proteic receptor. ..
- Hobbs E, Yin X, Paul B, Astarita J, Storz G. Conserved small protein associates with the multidrug efflux pump AcrB and differentially affects antibiotic resistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:16696-701 pubmed publisher..This differential antibiotic sensitivity suggests that AcrZ may enhance the ability of the AcrAB-TolC pump to export certain classes of substrates...
- Moon D, Choi C, Lee J, Choi C, Kim H, Park J, et al. Acinetobacter baumannii outer membrane protein A modulates the biogenesis of outer membrane vesicles. J Microbiol. 2012;50:155-60 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, AbOmpA influences OMV biogenesis by controlling OMV production and protein composition. ..
- Rubio López V, Valdezate S, Alvarez D, Villalón P, Medina M, Salcedo C, et al. Molecular epidemiology, antimicrobial susceptibilities and resistance mechanisms of Streptococcus pyogenes isolates resistant to erythromycin and tetracycline in Spain (1994-2006). BMC Microbiol. 2012;12:215 pubmed publisher
- Ayalew S, Confer A, Shrestha B, Wilson A, Montelongo M. Proteomic analysis and immunogenicity of Mannheimia haemolytica vesicles. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013;20:191-6 pubmed publisher..95%) were significantly (P < 0.05) lower than those from nonvaccinated calves (42.65%). Sera from mice on day 28 and calves on day 21 showed 100% serum bactericidal activity. Sera from vesicle-vaccinated mice neutralized leukotoxin...
- Costa T, Amer A, Farag S, Wolf Watz H, Fallman M, Fahlgren A, et al. Type III secretion translocon assemblies that attenuate Yersinia virulence. Cell Microbiol. 2013;15:1088-110 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Yop translocators may possess other in vivo functions that extend beyond being a portal for effector delivery into host cells. ..
- Webb C, Heinz E, Lithgow T. Evolution of the ?-barrel assembly machinery. Trends Microbiol. 2012;20:612-20 pubmed publisher..We discuss what is known about the diverse composition of the BAM complex in various bacterial lineages, and how this diversity impacts on our understanding of the mechanism underlying the assembly of bacterial outer membranes. ..
- Liechti G, Goldberg J. Outer membrane biogenesis in Escherichia coli, Neisseria meningitidis, and Helicobacter pylori: paradigm deviations in H. pylori. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2012;2:29 pubmed publisher..coli counterparts. Eventual targeting of these pathways would have the net effect of severely limiting the delivery/transport of components to the OM and preventing the bacterium's ability to infect its human host...
- Ferrandez Y, Monlezun L, Phan G, Benabdelhak H, Benas P, Ulryck N, et al. Stoichiometry of the MexA-OprM binding, as investigated by blue native gel electrophoresis. Electrophoresis. 2012;33:1282-7 pubmed publisher..Then we proved that MexA has to be palmitylated in order to stabilized the complex formation with OprM. Finally, we provided evidence for a two by two (2, 4, 6, or upper) binding of palmitylated MexA per trimer of OprM. ..
- Janganan T, Bavro V, Zhang L, Borges Walmsley M, Walmsley A. Tripartite efflux pumps: energy is required for dissociation, but not assembly or opening of the outer membrane channel of the pump. Mol Microbiol. 2013;88:590-602 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings suggest that opening of the OMP via interaction with the MFP is energy-independent, while both drug export and complex dissociation require active proton flux. ..
- Xu Y, Moeller A, Jun S, Le M, Yoon B, Kim J, et al. Assembly and channel opening of outer membrane protein in tripartite drug efflux pumps of Gram-negative bacteria. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:11740-50 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we suggest an assembly and channel opening model for the MexAB-OprM pump. This study provides a better understanding of multidrug resistance in Gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Santos P, Nascimento R, Rodrigues L, Santos F, Faria P, Martins J, et al. Functional epitope core motif of the Anaplasma marginale major surface protein 1a and its incorporation onto bioelectrodes for antibody detection. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33045 pubmed publisher..These immunosensors were highly sensitive and selective for positive IgG, contaminants did not affect measurements, and were based on a simple, fast and reproducible electrochemical system...