Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins obtained from species of BIRDS.
- Wang Y, Dantas T, Lalor P, Dockery P, Morrison C. Promoter hijack reveals pericentrin functions in mitosis and the DNA damage response. Cell Cycle. 2013;12:635-46 pubmed publisher..However, pericentrin disruption in Mcph1-/- cells abrogated centrosome hyperamplification after IR. We conclude that pericentrin controls genomic stability by both ensuring appropriate mitotic spindle activity and centrosome regulation. ..
- Matulova M, Rájová J, Vlasatikova L, Volf J, Stepanova H, Havlickova H, et al. Characterization of chicken spleen transcriptome after infection with Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48101 pubmed publisher..Expression of AVD, EXFABP, IRG1, AH221, TRAP6, SAA and all immunoglobulin genes can be therefore used for the characterization of the course of S. Enteritidis infection in chickens...
- Lim W, Jeong W, Kim J, Lee J, Kim J, Bazer F, et al. Differential expression of alpha 2 macroglobulin in response to dietylstilbestrol and in ovarian carcinomas in chickens. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011;9:137 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we investigated estrogen regulation of A2M gene expression during development of the chicken oviduct, and its expression in normal and cancerous ovaries from chickens...
- Liniger M, Summerfield A, Zimmer G, McCullough K, Ruggli N. Chicken cells sense influenza A virus infection through MDA5 and CARDIF signaling involving LGP2. J Virol. 2012;86:705-17 pubmed publisher..We finally demonstrate that the chMDA5 signaling pathway is inhibited by the viral nonstructural protein 1. In conclusion, chicken cells, including DF-1 fibroblasts and HD-11 macrophage-like cells, employ chMDA5 for sensing AIV...
- Park K, Gumbiner B. Cadherin-6B stimulates an epithelial mesenchymal transition and the delamination of cells from the neural ectoderm via LIMK/cofilin mediated non-canonical BMP receptor signaling. Dev Biol. 2012;366:232-43 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the de-epithelialization step of the neural crest EMT by cadherin-6B/BMPRII involves regulation of actin dynamics via LIMK/cofilin...
- Boyd A, Peroval M, Hammond J, Prickett M, Young J, Smith A. TLR15 is unique to avian and reptilian lineages and recognizes a yeast-derived agonist. J Immunol. 2012;189:4930-8 pubmed publisher..Identification of yeast as an agonist source for TLR15 provides a functional framework for consideration of this TLR within the context of pattern recognition receptor evolution and may impact on the development of novel adjuvants. ..
- Mann K, Mann M. The chicken egg yolk plasma and granule proteomes. Proteomics. 2008;8:178-91 pubmed..The list of chicken egg yolk proteins provided in this report is by far the most comprehensive at present and may serve as a starting point for the characterization of less well-known yolk proteins. ..
- Svec L, Licht K, Wade J. Pair bonding in the female zebra finch: a potential role for the nucleus taeniae. Neuroscience. 2009;160:275-83 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the nucleus taeniae may play some role in the maintenance of pair bonds in this species. Additionally, females may provide some signal to influence elements of the behavior of males. ..
- Schwab R, Blackford A, Niedzwiedz W. ATR activation and replication fork restart are defective in FANCM-deficient cells. EMBO J. 2010;29:806-18 pubmed publisher..Our data therefore indicate a fundamental role for FANCM in the maintenance of genome integrity during S phase. ..
- Bourke E, Brown J, Takeda S, Hochegger H, Morrison C. DNA damage induces Chk1-dependent threonine-160 phosphorylation and activation of Cdk2. Oncogene. 2010;29:616-24 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Chk1 signalling causes centrosome amplification after IR by upregulating Cdk2 activity through activating phosphorylation. ..
- Narita A, Takeda S, Yamashita A, Maeda Y. Structural basis of actin filament capping at the barbed-end: a cryo-electron microscopy study. EMBO J. 2006;25:5626-33 pubmed..This binding scheme accounted for the results of newly performed and previously published mutation experiments, and led us to propose a two-step binding model. This is the first determination of an actin filament end structure. ..
- Platzer G, Schedlbauer A, Chemelli A, Ozdowy P, Coudevylle N, Auer R, et al. The metastasis-associated extracellular matrix protein osteopontin forms transient structure in ligand interaction sites. Biochemistry. 2011;50:6113-24 pubmed publisher..The conformational flexibility combined with the modular architecture of OPN may represent an important structural prerequisite for its functional diversity...
- Jonchère V, Rehault Godbert S, Hennequet Antier C, Cabau C, Sibut V, Cogburn L, et al. Gene expression profiling to identify eggshell proteins involved in physical defense of the chicken egg. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:57 pubmed publisher..An extensive bioinformatic analysis on genes over-expressed in the uterus allowed us to identify novel eggshell proteins that contribute to the egg's natural defenses...
- Saldanha C, Walters B, Fraley G. Neurons that co-localize aromatase- and kisspeptin-like immunoreactivity may regulate the HPG axis of the Mallard drake (Anas platyrhynchos). Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2010;166:606-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that in the drake, estradiol synthesized by aromatase and kisspeptin co-expressing POM neurons may regulate the HPG via an effect on GnRH secretion. ..
- Dryhurst D, Ishibashi T, Rose K, Eirín López J, McDonald D, Silva Moreno B, et al. Characterization of the histone H2A.Z-1 and H2A.Z-2 isoforms in vertebrates. BMC Biol. 2009;7:86 pubmed publisher..Our biochemical, gene expression, and phylogenetic data suggest that the H2A.Z-1 and H2A.Z-2 variants function similarly yet they may have acquired a degree of functional independence. ..
- Nadeau N, Mundy N, Gourichon D, Minvielle F. Association of a single-nucleotide substitution in TYRP1 with roux in Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica). Anim Genet. 2007;38:609-13 pubmed publisher..In addition, the Phe282 amino acid appears to be of functional significance, as it is highly conserved across the vertebrates. This is the first demonstration that TYRP1 has a role in pigmentation in birds...
- Cisneros E, Latasa M, Garcia Flores M, Frade J. Instability of Notch1 and Delta1 mRNAs and reduced Notch activity in vertebrate neuroepithelial cells undergoing S-phase. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:820-31 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that the capacity of vertebrate neural precursors to express neurogenic genes and trigger lateral inhibitory signals is functionally coordinated with the cell cycle. ..
- Hnia K, Notarnicola C, de Santa Barbara P, Hugon G, Rivier F, Laoudj Chenivesse D, et al. Biochemical properties of gastrokine-1 purified from chicken gizzard smooth muscle. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3854 pubmed publisher..A potential role via TFF interaction in cell-cell adhesion and assembly of actin stress fibres is discussed. ..
- Gobes S, Ter Haar S, Vignal C, Vergne A, Mathevon N, Bolhuis J. Differential responsiveness in brain and behavior to sexually dimorphic long calls in male and female zebra finches. J Comp Neurol. 2009;516:312-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, male and female zebra finches both show a behavioral preference for female calls, but differential neuronal activation in response to sexually dimorphic calls. ..
- Gautron J, Murayama E, Vignal A, Morisson M, McKee M, Réhault S, et al. Cloning of ovocalyxin-36, a novel chicken eggshell protein related to lipopolysaccharide-binding proteins, bactericidal permeability-increasing proteins, and plunc family proteins. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:5273-86 pubmed..OCX-36 may therefore participate in natural defense mechanisms that keep the egg free of pathogens. ..
- Mann K. Proteomic analysis of the chicken egg vitelline membrane. Proteomics. 2008;8:2322-32 pubmed publisher..The list of VM proteins presented in this report is by far the most comprehensive dataset available at present and complements proteomic analyses of chicken egg compartments published previously...
- Hardy K, Garriock R, Yatskievych T, D Agostino S, Antin P, Krieg P. Non-canonical Wnt signaling through Wnt5a/b and a novel Wnt11 gene, Wnt11b, regulates cell migration during avian gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2008;320:391-401 pubmed publisher..We conclude that non-canonical Wnt signaling, mediated in part by Wnt11b, is important for regulation of gastrulation cell movements in the avian embryo. ..
- Berlin S, Qu L, Ellegren H. Adaptive evolution of gamete-recognition proteins in birds. J Mol Evol. 2008;67:488-96 pubmed publisher..We discuss other possible processes that could explain positive selection of gamete-recognition proteins in birds and mammals, such as hybridisation avoidance, cryptic female choice, and postcopulatory sperm competition. ..
- Toyomizu M, Kikusato M, Kawabata Y, Azad M, Inui E, Amo T. Meat-type chickens have a higher efficiency of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation than laying-type chickens. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2011;159:75-81 pubmed publisher..The current results regarding a higher efficiency of oxidative phosphorylation and UCP content may partially support the high feed efficiency of meat-type chickens...
- Wang X, Bai J, Zhao C, Zhang H, Bao H, Xu G, et al. Localisation of the genomic sequence interval for the blue eggshell gene using an F2 resource population of Dongxiang chickens. Br Poult Sci. 2010;51:507-9 pubmed publisher..3. Based on these results, we inferred that the O locus was located between the A and (tg)(n) loci, that is, Chr1:67,296,991-69,140,571, which is the first genomic sequence interval to be established for the blue eggshell gene. ..
- Park K, Gumbiner B. Cadherin 6B induces BMP signaling and de-epithelialization during the epithelial mesenchymal transition of the neural crest. Development. 2010;137:2691-701 pubmed publisher..Thus, the overall EMT of neural crest cells occurs via two distinct steps: a cadherin 6B and BMP signaling-mediated de-epithelialization, and a subsequent delamination through the basement membrane. ..
- Tsukiji N, Nishihara D, Yajima I, Takeda K, Shibahara S, Yamamoto H. Mitf functions as an in ovo regulator for cell differentiation and proliferation during development of the chick RPE. Dev Biol. 2009;326:335-46 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate for the first time "in vivo" that Mitf uniquely regulates both differentiation and cell proliferation in the developing RPE. ..
- Kubikova L, Wada K, Jarvis E. Dopamine receptors in a songbird brain. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:741-69 pubmed publisher..Our findings are consistent with hypotheses that dopamine receptors may be involved in song development and social context-dependent behaviors...
- Neves J, Parada C, Chamizo M, Giraldez F. Jagged 1 regulates the restriction of Sox2 expression in the developing chicken inner ear: a mechanism for sensory organ specification. Development. 2011;138:735-44 pubmed publisher..This provides a mechanism to couple patterning and cell fate specification during the development of sensory organs. ..
- Barber M, Aldridge J, Webster R, Magor K. Association of RIG-I with innate immunity of ducks to influenza. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:5913-8 pubmed publisher..Finding this natural disease resistance gene in ducks opens the possibility of increasing influenza resistance through creation of a transgenic chicken. ..
- Ito K, Seri A, Kimura F, Matsudomi N. Site-specific glycosylation at Asn-292 in ovalbumin is essential to efficient secretion in yeast. J Biochem. 2007;141:193-9 pubmed..The results indicate that N-glycosylation at Asn-292 of OVA is required for the folding and secretion. ..
- Keestra A, van Putten J. Unique properties of the chicken TLR4/MD-2 complex: selective lipopolysaccharide activation of the MyD88-dependent pathway. J Immunol. 2008;181:4354-62 pubmed
- Taneyhill L, Coles E, Bronner Fraser M. Snail2 directly represses cadherin6B during epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitions of the neural crest. Development. 2007;134:1481-90 pubmed..These results are the first to describe a direct target of Snail2 repression in vivo and in the context of the EMT that characterizes neural crest development. ..
- Pascoal S, Carvalho C, Rodriguez Leon J, Delfini M, Duprez D, Thorsteinsdóttir S, et al. A molecular clock operates during chick autopod proximal-distal outgrowth. J Mol Biol. 2007;368:303-9 pubmed..We suggest that temporal control exerted by cyclic gene expression can be a widespread mechanism providing cellular temporal information during vertebrate embryonic development. ..
- Lindberg N, Kastemar M, Olofsson T, Smits A, Uhrbom L. Oligodendrocyte progenitor cells can act as cell of origin for experimental glioma. Oncogene. 2009;28:2266-75 pubmed publisher..Thus, with the Ctv-a mouse we have showed that the cell of origin for glioma may be a committed glial progenitor cell. ..
- Temperley N, Berlin S, Paton I, Griffin D, Burt D. Evolution of the chicken Toll-like receptor gene family: a story of gene gain and gene loss. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:62 pubmed publisher..In addition, these comparisons clarify the nomenclature of TLR genes in vertebrates. ..
- Albazerchi A, Stern C. A role for the hypoblast (AVE) in the initiation of neural induction, independent of its ability to position the primitive streak. Dev Biol. 2007;301:489-503 pubmed..Interestingly, FGF and retinoids, generally considered as caudalizing factors, are shown here to play a role in the induction of a transient "pre-neural/pre-forebrain" state...
- Lin J, Redies C, Luo J. Regionalized expression of ADAM13 during chicken embryonic development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:862-70 pubmed..Furthermore, ADAM13 mRNA was also detected in several tissues and organs, such as the somites and their derived muscles, the meninges surrounding the spinal cord, the dorsal aorta, the developing kidney, and several digestive organs. ..
- Spence J, Madhavan M, Aycinena J, Del Rio Tsonis K. Retina regeneration in the chick embryo is not induced by spontaneous Mitf downregulation but requires FGF/FGFR/MEK/Erk dependent upregulation of Pax6. Mol Vis. 2007;13:57-65 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that ectopic Mitf expression is able to protect the RPE from FGF2 induced transdifferentiation by inhibiting Pax6 upregulation. ..
- Jung J, Park T, Kim J, Han B, Lee S, Song G, et al. Characterization and application of oviductal epithelial cells in vitro in Gallus domesticus. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:798-807 pubmed publisher..05). In conclusion, these data demonstrate the potential of cultured OECs as a model system for providing a better understanding of the regulation of gene expression and for the production of an avian transgenic bioreactor...
- Rosado I, Niedzwiedz W, Alpi A, Patel K. The Walker B motif in avian FANCM is required to limit sister chromatid exchanges but is dispensable for DNA crosslink repair. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:4360-70 pubmed publisher..Overall our results lead us to reappraise the role of helicase domain associated activities of FANCM with respect to the activation of the FA pathway, crosslink repair and in the resolution of recombination intermediates. ..
- Coles E, Taneyhill L, Bronner Fraser M. A critical role for Cadherin6B in regulating avian neural crest emigration. Dev Biol. 2007;312:533-44 pubmed..Our data reveal a novel role for Cad6B in controlling the proper timing of neural crest emigration and delamination from the neural tube of the avian embryo. ..
- Keestra A, de Zoete M, van Aubel R, van Putten J. The central leucine-rich repeat region of chicken TLR16 dictates unique ligand specificity and species-specific interaction with TLR2. J Immunol. 2007;178:7110-9 pubmed..Collectively, our data indicate that diversification of the central LRR region of the TLR2 coreceptors during evolution has put constraints on both their ligand specificity and their ability to form functional complexes with TLR2. ..
- Guan X, Silva P, Gyenai K, Xu J, Geng T, Tu Z, et al. The mitochondrial genome sequence and molecular phylogeny of the turkey, Meleagris gallopavo. Anim Genet. 2009;40:134-41 pubmed publisher..Given the importance of the mtGenome, the present work adds to the growing genomic resources needed to define the genetic mechanisms that underlie some economically significant traits in the turkey...
- Trevino L, Giles J, Wang W, Urick M, Johnson P. Gene expression profiling reveals differentially expressed genes in ovarian cancer of the hen: support for oviductal origin?. Horm Cancer. 2010;1:177-86 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that chicken ovarian tumors may arise from alternative sites, including the oviduct...
- Dong S, Replogle K, Hasadsri L, Imai B, Yau P, Rodriguez Zas S, et al. Discrete molecular states in the brain accompany changing responses to a vocal signal. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11364-9 pubmed publisher..Thus a natural experience, in this case hearing the sound of birdsong, can lead to major shifts in energetics and macromolecular metabolism in higher centers in the brain. ..
- Powell F, Rothwell L, Clarkson M, Kaiser P. Development of reagents to study the turkey's immune response: cloning and characterisation of two turkey cytokines, interleukin (IL)-10 and IL-13. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2012;147:97-103 pubmed publisher..Recombinant turkey IL-10 was expressed and bioactivity demonstrated by inhibition of IFN-? synthesis from activated splenocytes. Chicken and turkey IL-10 cross-reacted in functional assays. ..