Genomes and Genes
Summary: The predominant form of mammalian antidiuretic hormone. It is a nonapeptide containing an ARGININE at residue 8 and two disulfide-linked cysteines at residues of 1 and 6. Arg-vasopressin is used to treat DIABETES INSIPIDUS or to improve vasomotor tone and BLOOD PRESSURE.
- Hanna F, Scanlon M. Hyponatraemia, hypothyroidism, and role of arginine-vasopressin. Lancet. 1997;350:755-6 pubmed
- Schwartz J, Ash P, Ford V, Raff H, Crosby S, White A. Secretion of adrenocorticotrophin (ACTH) and ACTH precursors in ovine anterior pituitary cells: actions of corticotrophin-releasing hormone, arginine vasopressin and glucocorticoids. J Endocrinol. 1994;140:189-95 pubmedAlthough corticotrophin-releasing hormone (CRH) and arginine vasopressin (AVP) have been extensively characterized as stimulators, and glucocorticoids as inhibitors of ACTH secretion, far less is known about the control of the secretion ..
- Ishikawa S, Schrier R. Effect of arginine vasopressin antagonist on renal water excretion in glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid deficient rats. Kidney Int. 1982;22:587-93 pubmed
- Golembiewska E, Machowska A, Stenvinkel P, Lindholm B. Prognostic Value of Copeptin in Chronic Kidney Disease: From General Population to End-Stage Renal Disease. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2017;18:1232-1243 pubmed publisherb>Arginine vasopressin (AVP), also known as antidiuretic hormone (ADH), is released in response to osmotic and non-osmotic stimuli and plays a key role in many physiologic and pathologic processes...
- Liu J, Robinson P, Funder J, Engler D. A comparative study of the role of adenylate cyclase in the release of adrenocorticotropin from the ovine and rat anterior pituitary. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1994;101:173-81 pubmedThe interaction between corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) and arginine vasopressin (AVP) is important in the regulation of adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) release from the anterior pituitary (AP)...
- Gonzalez de Aguilar J, Gordon J, Rene F, Lutz Bucher B, Kienlen Campard P, Loeffler J. A mouse model of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis expressing a mutant superoxide dismutase 1 shows evidence of disordered transport in the vasopressin hypothalamo-neurohypophysial axis. Eur J Neurosci. 1999;11:4179-87 pubmed..1 (SOD1) mutation (G86R), which induces neurological disorders resembling human familial ALS (FALS), on the arginine vasopressin (AVP) hypothalamo-neurohypophysial axis, an unmyelinated tract poor in neurofilaments...
- Emori T, Hirata Y, Ohta K, Kanno K, Eguchi S, Imai T, et al. Cellular mechanism of endothelin-1 release by angiotensin and vasopressin. Hypertension. 1991;18:165-70 pubmed..isolated from endothelial cells, from cultured bovine endothelial cells has been shown to be stimulated by arginine vasopressin and angiotensin II...
- Alexander S, Irvine C, Livesey J, Donald R. Effect of isolation stress on concentrations of arginine vasopressin, alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone and ACTH in the pituitary venous effluent of the normal horse. J Endocrinol. 1988;116:325-34 pubmed..8 +/- 111.8 pmol/l; peak, 2726.1 +/- 547.4 pmol/l; P less than 0.02). Concentrations of arginine vasopressin (AVP) were higher in pituitary venous but not in jugular blood during isolation than during the preceding ..
- Hoffman P. Neuroadaptive functions of the neuropeptide arginine vasopressin. Ethanol tolerance. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1994;739:168-75 pubmed
- Familari M, Smith A, Smith R, Funder J. Arginine vasopressin is a much more potent stimulus to ACTH release from ovine anterior pituitary cells than ovine corticotropin-releasing factor. 1. In vitro studies. Neuroendocrinology. 1989;50:152-7 pubmedCultured rat and ovine anterior pituitary cells were treated with a range of doses (0.01-1,000 nM) of arginine vasopressin (AVP) and ovine corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF), alone or in combination, and medium and cell content of ..
- Baumann G, Dingman J. Distribution, blood transport, and degradation of antidiuretic hormone in man. J Clin Invest. 1976;57:1109-16 pubmed..concentrations of antidiuretic hormone were studied in 10 hydrated normal subjects with radioiodinated arginine vasopressin (125I-AVP)...
- Krajnak K, Kashon M, Rosewell K, Wise P. Aging alters the rhythmic expression of vasoactive intestinal polypeptide mRNA but not arginine vasopressin mRNA in the suprachiasmatic nuclei of female rats. J Neurosci. 1998;18:4767-74 pubmed..expression of two neuropeptides synthesized in the SCN, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP) and arginine vasopressin (AVP), using in situ hybridization...
- Taylor S, Wang T, Granados Fuentes D, Herzog E. Resynchronization Dynamics Reveal that the Ventral Entrains the Dorsal Suprachiasmatic Nucleus. J Biol Rhythms. 2017;32:35-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results provide direct evidence that the ventral SCN entrains the dorsal SCN in constant conditions. ..
- Mastorakos G, Weber J, Magiakou M, Gunn H, Chrousos G. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activation and stimulation of systemic vasopressin secretion by recombinant interleukin-6 in humans: potential implications for the syndrome of inappropriate vasopressin secretion. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994;79:934-9 pubmed..Interestingly, plasma arginine vasopressin (AVP) levels were also elevated during the 2 h after IL-6 injection in all patients who received a dose of ..
- Hoffman P, Tabakoff B. Centrally acting peptides and tolerance to ethanol. Curr Alcohol. 1981;8:359-78 pubmed..or expression of functional tolerance to or physical dependence on ethanol is the neurohypophyseal hormone, arginine vasopressin (AVP)...
- McKeever K, Hinchcliff K, Schmall L, Muir W. Renal tubular function in horses during submaximal exercise. Am J Physiol. 1991;261:R553-60 pubmed..It was concluded that, in horses, submaximal exercise-induced increases in urine flow and sodium excretion are associated with a concurrent increase in the plasma concentration of atrial natriuretic peptide. ..
- Jang E, Song J, Shin J, Yoon J, Yoo K, Jeong S. Background anaesthetic agents do not influence the impact of arginine vasopressin on haemodynamic states and cerebral oxygenation during shoulder surgery in the beach chair position: a prospective, single-blind study. BMC Anesthesiol. 2017;17:73 pubmed publisherAdministration of arginine vasopressin (AVP) is associated with reducing jugular venous (SjvO2) and regional cerebral (rScO2) oxygen saturation under propofol-remifentanil (P/R) anaesthesia...
- Dreyfuss D, Leviel F, Sperandio M, Paillard M, Marty J, Coste F. Does the stress of admission to an intensive care unit influence arginine vasopressin secretion and renal diluting ability?. Intensive Care Med. 1990;16:323-7 pubmedThe pathogenesis of excessive arginine vasopressin (AVP) release and hyponatraemia in euvolaemic intensive care unit (ICU) patients is poorly understood...
- Challis J, Brooks A. Maturation and activation of hypothalamic-pituitary adrenal function in fetal sheep. Endocr Rev. 1989;10:182-204 pubmed..We suggest that this sequence leads to, and is broken by, the process of birth. ..
- Snyder Mackler N, Tung J. Vasopressin and the Neurogenetics of Parental Care. Neuron. 2017;95:9-11 pubmed publisher..A study by Bendesky et al. (2017) tackles this challenge by dissecting the genetic architecture of parental care in deer mice to discover an important contribution of vasopressin signaling to the evolution of nest building. ..
- DeAngelis R, Gogola J, Dodd L, Rhodes J. Opposite effects of nonapeptide antagonists on paternal behavior in the teleost fish Amphiprion ocellaris. Horm Behav. 2017;90:113-119 pubmed publisher..The nonapeptides isotocin (IT) and arginine vasotocin (AVT), along with their mammalian homologs oxytocin and arginine vasopressin, are well known regulators of social behaviors across vertebrate taxa...
- Verbalis J, Blackburn R, Hoffman G, Stricker E. Establishing behavioral and physiological functions of central oxytocin: insights from studies of oxytocin and ingestive behaviors. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1995;395:209-25 pubmed..These phenomena will be used as a framework to discuss and critically evaluate the criteria that are both necessary and sufficient to firmly establish behavioral and physiological functions of centrally-secreted peptides such as OT. ..
- Yared A, Kon V, Ichikawa I. Mechanism of preservation of glomerular perfusion and filtration during acute extracellular fluid volume depletion. Importance of intrarenal vasopressin-prostaglandin interaction for protecting kidneys from constrictor action of vasopressin. J Clin Invest. 1985;75:1477-87 pubmed..When water-deprived saralasin-treated rats were given a specific antagonist to the vascular action of arginine vasopressin (AVP), d(CH2)5Tyr(Me)AVP, a fall in systemic blood pressure occurred, on average from 102 +/- 5 to 80 +/- 5 ..
- Nadler S, Zimpelmann J, Hebert R. Endothelin inhibits vasopressin-stimulated water permeability in rat terminal inner medullary collecting duct. J Clin Invest. 1992;90:1458-66 pubmed..Since ET is synthesized by IMCD cells, this peptide may be an important autocrine modulator of renal epithelial transport. ..
- Popik P, Vetulani J, van Ree J. Low doses of oxytocin facilitate social recognition in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1992;106:71-4 pubmed..Other neurohypophyseal hormones, vasopressin and vasotocin, did not facilitate social recognition when tested in the same range of low doses. ..
- Emori T, Hirata Y, Ohta K, Shichiri M, Marumo F. Secretory mechanism of immunoreactive endothelin in cultured bovine endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989;160:93-100 pubmed..These data suggest that AVP and ANG II, like thrombin, stimulate ET secretion from EC by a mechanism possibly involving receptor-mediated mobilization of intracellular Ca2+ and activation of PKC. ..
- Kluge M, Riedl S, Erhart Hofmann B, Hartmann J, Waldhauser F. Improved extraction procedure and RIA for determination of arginine8-vasopressin in plasma: role of premeasurement sample treatment and reference values in children. Clin Chem. 1999;45:98-103 pubmed..1 +/- 0.6 ng/L. There was no significant difference between males and females and no correlation with age. In 16 healthy adult controls, plasma AVP averaged 1.0 +/- 0.5 ng/L. ..
- Charkoudian N, Usselman C, Skow R, Staab J, Julian C, Stickland M, et al. Muscle sympathetic nerve activity and volume-regulating factors in healthy pregnant and nonpregnant women. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H782-H787 pubmed publisher..as muscle SNA) and volume-regulating factors, including plasma osmolality, plasma renin activity, and arginine vasopressin (AVP). We studied 46 healthy, normotensive young women (23 pregnant and 23 nonpregnant)...
- Niimi Y, Matsukawa T, Sugiyama Y, Shamsuzzaman A, Ito H, Sobue G, et al. Effect of heat stress on muscle sympathetic nerve activity in humans. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1997;63:61-7 pubmed..on the sympathetic nervous system, we evaluated changes in muscle sympathetic nerve activity (MSNA), plasma arginine vasopressin (AVP), tympanic temperature, skin blood flow, cardiac output, mean blood pressure, and heart rate in 9 ..
- Verbalis J. Osmotic inhibition of neurohypophysial secretion. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1993;689:146-60 pubmed
- Fujiu K, Shibata M, Nakayama Y, Ogata F, Matsumoto S, Noshita K, et al. A heart-brain-kidney network controls adaptation to cardiac stress through tissue macrophage activation. Nat Med. 2017;23:611-622 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a dynamic interplay between the heart, brain and kidneys that is necessary for adaptation to cardiac stress, and they highlight the homeostatic functions of tissue macrophages and the sympathetic nervous system. ..
- Melville R, Frizis H, Forsling M, LeQuesne L. The stimulus for vasopressin release during laparoscopy. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1985;161:253-6 pubmed..We propose that this relationship is mediated by way of known hemodynamic pathways occurring during laparoscopy involving a reduction in intrathoracic blood volume. ..
- Laczi F, Laszlo F, Kovacs G, Telegdy G, Szasz A, Szilard J, et al. Differential effect of desglycinamide9-(Arg8)-vasopressin on cognitive functions of diabetes insipidus and alcoholic patients. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1987;115:392-8 pubmed..The action of DGAVP on cognitive functions is probably mediated by centrally located target sites and may be expressed only in patients in whom these target sites are unimpaired. ..
- Vishram Nielsen J, Gustafsson F. Vasopressin and Vasopressin Antagonists in Heart Failure. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2017;243:307-328 pubmed publisher..Elevated levels of arginine vasopressin (AVP), a peptide hormone produced in the hypothalamus, play a role in development of hyponatremia, and AVP ..
- Sims C, Yuxia G, Singh K, Werlin E, Reilly P, Baur J. Supplemental arginine vasopressin during the resuscitation of severe hemorrhagic shock preserves renal mitochondrial function. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186339 pubmed publisherb>Arginine vasopressin (AVP), a hormone secreted by the posterior pituitary, plays a vital role in maintaining vasomotor tone during acute blood loss...
- Dreyfuss D, Leviel F, Paillard M, Rahmani J, Coste F. Acute infectious pneumonia is accompanied by a latent vasopressin-dependent impairment of renal water excretion. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1988;138:583-9 pubmed..Plasma arginine vasopressin values were significantly higher during pneumonia than after recovery despite similar plasma sodium ..
- Mazzocchi G, Malendowicz L, Meneghelli V, Nussdorfer G. Endothelin-1 stimulates mitotic activity in the zona glomerulosa of the rat adrenal cortex. Cytobios. 1992;69:91-6 pubmed..Infusions with adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) angiotensin-II (ANG-II) or arginine vasopressin (AVP) (30 pM min-1/24 h) raised the ZG mitotic index 13-fold, 9-fold and 10-fold, respectively...
- Yang S, Gerow K, Huber H, Considine M, Li C, Mattern V, et al. A decline in female baboon hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis activity anticipates aging. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:1375-1385 pubmed publisher..We also quantified hypothalamic paraventricular nuclear (PVN) arginine vasopressin (AVP), corticotropin-releasing hormone, steroid receptors, and pituitary proopiomelanocortin ..
- Taivainen H, Laitinen K, Tähtelä R, Kilanmaa K, Valimaki M. Role of plasma vasopressin in changes of water balance accompanying acute alcohol intoxication. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1995;19:759-62 pubmed..05). During the alcohol-induced diuresis, the plasma arginine vasopressin levels did not differ from the control experiment, but were higher during the phase of antidiuresis from 10 ..
- Mucio Ramírez S, Sánchez Islas E, Sánchez Jaramillo E, Currás Collazo M, Juárez González V, Álvarez González M, et al. Perinatal exposure to organohalogen pollutants decreases vasopressin content and its mRNA expression in magnocellular neuroendocrine cells activated by osmotic stress in adult rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;329:173-189 pubmed publisher..Therefore, A1254 may interfere with the activation of AVP mRNA transcript levels and protein, causing a central dysfunction of vasopressinergic system. ..
- Szatalowicz V, Arnold P, Chaimovitz C, Bichet D, Berl T, Schrier R. Radioimmunoassay of plasma arginine vasopressin in hyponatremic patients with congestive heart failure. N Engl J Med. 1981;305:263-6 pubmed
- Wijdicks E, Vermeulen M, Ten Haaf J, Hijdra A, Bakker W, van Gijn J. Volume depletion and natriuresis in patients with a ruptured intracranial aneurysm. Ann Neurol. 1985;18:211-6 pubmed
- Sims C, Guan Y, Bergey M, Jaffe R, Holmes Maguire L, Martin N, et al. Arginine vasopressin, copeptin, and the development of relative AVP deficiency in hemorrhagic shock. Am J Surg. 2017;214:589-595 pubmed publisherb>Arginine vasopressin (AVP) is critical for maintaining vasomotor tone and low levels have been associated with the development of irreversible shock...
- Bolignano D, Cabassi A, Fiaccadori E, Ghigo E, Pasquali R, Peracino A, et al. Copeptin (CTproAVP), a new tool for understanding the role of vasopressin in pathophysiology. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2014;52:1447-56 pubmed publisherb>Arginine vasopressin (AVP) plays a key role in many physiologic and pathologic processes. The most important stimulus for AVP release is a change in plasma osmolality. AVP is also involved in the response and adaptation to stress...