Genomes and Genes
Summary: Neuropeptide hormones that play a role in regulating a variety of behavioral and physiological processes in response to motivational stimuli.
- Moriguchi T, Sakurai T, Nambu T, Yanagisawa M, Goto K. Neurons containing orexin in the lateral hypothalamic area of the adult rat brain are activated by insulin-induced acute hypoglycemia. Neurosci Lett. 1999;264:101-4 pubmed..b>Orexins are specifically localized in neurons within and around the lateral hypothalamic area (LHA)...
- Fujita I, Nobunaga M, Seki T, Kurauchi Y, Hisatsune A, Katsuki H. Cystamine-mediated inhibition of protein disulfide isomerase triggers aggregation of misfolded orexin-A in the Golgi apparatus and prevents extracellular secretion of orexin-A. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:164-170 pubmed publisherb>Orexins (orexin-A and orexin-B) are neuropeptides that are reduced in narcolepsy, a sleep disorder that is characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness, sudden sleep attacks and cataplexy...
- Filardi M, Pizza F, Tonetti L, Antelmi E, Natale V, Plazzi G. Attention impairments and ADHD symptoms in adult narcoleptic patients with and without hypocretin deficiency. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182085 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should carefully consider attentional deficits and psychopathological symptoms, including ADHD symptoms, in the clinical assessment and management of patients with narcolepsy. ..
- Liu K, Kim J, Kim D, Zhang Y, Bao H, Denaxa M, et al. Lhx6-positive GABA-releasing neurons of the zona incerta promote sleep. Nature. 2017;548:582-587 pubmed publisher..These studies identify a GABAergic subpopulation of neurons in the ventral zona incerta that promote sleep. ..
- Pintwala S, Peever J. Circuit mechanisms of sleepiness and cataplexy in narcolepsy. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2017;44:50-58 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the latest research concerning the normal function of the orexin system and how its dysfunction causes narcolepsy symptoms. ..
- Kallweit U, Bassetti C. Pharmacological management of narcolepsy with and without cataplexy. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017;18:809-817 pubmed publisher..New symptomatic and causal treatment most probably will be completed by hypocretin-replacement and immune-modifying strategies. ..
- de Biase S, Nilo A, Gigli G, Valente M. Investigational therapies for the treatment of narcolepsy. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2017;26:953-963 pubmed publisher..However, more information would be necessary to completely understand the autoimmune process and also how this process can be altered for therapeutic benefits. ..
- Qiao S, Zhou W, Liu L, Zhang D, Zhong Y. Orexin-A Suppresses Signal Transmission to Dopaminergic Amacrine Cells From Outer and Inner Retinal Photoreceptors. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4712-4721 pubmed publisher..This study investigates whether and how orexins modulate signal transmission to dopaminergic amacrine cells (DACs) from both outer retinal photoreceptors (rods ..
- Modi H, Wang Q, Gd S, Sherman D, Greenwald E, Savonenko A, et al. Intranasal post-cardiac arrest treatment with orexin-A facilitates arousal from coma and ameliorates neuroinflammation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182707 pubmed publisher..Beneficial outcomes from intranasal ORXA treatment lay the groundwork for therapeutic clinical approach to treating post-CA coma. ..