Genomes and Genes
apoptosis regulatory proteins
Summary: A large group of proteins that control APOPTOSIS. This family of proteins includes many ONCOGENE PROTEINS as well as a wide variety of classes of INTRACELLULAR SIGNALING PEPTIDES AND PROTEINS such as CASPASES.
- Yu M, Gou W, Zhao S, Xiao L, Mao X, Xing Y, et al. Beclin 1 expression is an independent prognostic factor for gastric carcinomas. Tumour Biol. 2013;34:1071-83 pubmed publisher..Beclin 1 expression might be employed to indicate the favorable prognosis of gastric carcinomas as an independent factor. ..
- Wensveen F, Klarenbeek P, van Gisbergen K, Pascutti M, Derks I, van Schaik B, et al. Pro-apoptotic protein Noxa regulates memory T cell population size and protects against lethal immunopathology. J Immunol. 2013;190:1180-91 pubmed publisher..Chronic immune activation in the absence of Noxa leads to excessive accumulation of primed cells, which may result in severe pathology. ..
- Tsutsumi S, Ogino I, Miyajima M, Ikeda T, Shindo N, Yasumoto Y, et al. Genomic causes of multiple cerebral cavernous malformations in a Japanese population. J Clin Neurosci. 2013;20:667-9 pubmed publisher..Most of the patients had a stable course during the follow-up period. Genomic mutations other than CCM1, CCM2 and CCM3 may be frequent in patients with multiple CCM in the Japanese population. ..
- Shi T, Cheng X, Yu K, Sun M, Shao Z, Wang M, et al. Functional variants in TNFAIP8 associated with cervical cancer susceptibility and clinical outcomes. Carcinogenesis. 2013;34:770-8 pubmed publisher..Larger, prospective studies with detailed HPV infection data are warranted to validate our findings. ..
- Huo Y, Cai H, Teplova I, Bowman Colin C, Chen G, Price S, et al. Autophagy opposes p53-mediated tumor barrier to facilitate tumorigenesis in a model of PALB2-associated hereditary breast cancer. Cancer Discov. 2013;3:894-907 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that, in the face of DNA damage and oxidative stress elicited by PALB2 loss, p53 is a barrier to cancer development, whereas autophagy facilitates cell survival and tumorigenesis. ..
- Wang H, Yang Y, Shen H, Gu J, Li T, Li X. ABT-737 induces Bim expression via JNK signaling pathway and its effect on the radiation sensitivity of HeLa cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52483 pubmed publisher..Our data imply that combination of ABT-737 and conventional radiation therapy might represent a highly effective therapeutic approach for future treatment of cervical cancer. ..
- Luo H, Yang Y, Duan J, Wu P, Jiang Q, Xu C. PTEN-regulated AKT/FoxO3a/Bim signaling contributes to reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in selenite-treated colorectal cancer cells. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e481 pubmed publisher..These results help to elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying selenite-induced cell death in tumor cells and provide a theoretical basis for translational applications of selenium. ..
- Maejima Y, Kyoi S, Zhai P, Liu T, Li H, Ivessa A, et al. Mst1 inhibits autophagy by promoting the interaction between Beclin1 and Bcl-2. Nat Med. 2013;19:1478-88 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Mst1 coordinately regulates autophagy and apoptosis by phosphorylating Beclin1 and consequently modulating a three-way interaction among Bcl-2 proteins, Beclin1 and Bax. ..
- Cohen T, Prince A. Activation of inflammasome signaling mediates pathology of acute P. aeruginosa pneumonia. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:1630-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the inflammasome provides a potential target to limit the pathological consequences of acute P. aeruginosa pulmonary infection...
- Song X, Zhang X, Wang X, Zhu F, Guo C, Wang Q, et al. Tumor suppressor gene PDCD4 negatively regulates autophagy by inhibiting the expression of autophagy-related gene ATG5. Autophagy. 2013;9:743-55 pubmed publisher..Unlike most tumor suppressors that act as positive or dual regulators of autophagy, our findings indicate that PDCD4 negatively regulates autophagy by targeting ATG5, which provides a novel mechanism of tumor suppression. ..
- Wei Y, Zou Z, Becker N, Anderson M, Sumpter R, Xiao G, et al. EGFR-mediated Beclin 1 phosphorylation in autophagy suppression, tumor progression, and tumor chemoresistance. Cell. 2013;154:1269-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, oncogenic receptor tyrosine kinases directly regulate the core autophagy machinery, which may contribute to tumor progression and chemoresistance. ..
- Lucin K, O Brien C, Bieri G, Czirr E, Mosher K, Abbey R, et al. Microglial beclin 1 regulates retromer trafficking and phagocytosis and is impaired in Alzheimer's disease. Neuron. 2013;79:873-86 pubmed publisher..These findings position beclin 1 as a link between autophagy, retromer trafficking, and receptor-mediated phagocytosis and provide insight into mechanisms by which phagocytosis is regulated and how it may become impaired in AD. ..
- Gurkar A, Chu K, Raj L, Bouley R, Lee S, Kim Y, et al. Identification of ROCK1 kinase as a critical regulator of Beclin1-mediated autophagy during metabolic stress. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2189 pubmed publisher..These results show that ROCK1 acts as a prominent upstream regulator of Beclin1-mediated autophagy and maintains a homeostatic balance between apoptosis and autophagy. ..
- Liu Y, Liu J, Chai K, Tashiro S, Onodera S, Ikejima T. Inhibition of c-Met promoted apoptosis, autophagy and loss of the mitochondrial transmembrane potential in oridonin-induced A549 lung cancer cells. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2013;65:1622-42 pubmed publisher..The following experiments are to elucidate this anti-apoptotic mechanism, then the effect of c-Met on autophagy has also been discussed...
- Miller A, Hicks M, Nakajima W, Richardson A, Windle J, Harada H. Paclitaxel-induced apoptosis is BAK-dependent, but BAX and BIM-independent in breast tumor. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60685 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that BAK is the mediator of paclitaxel-induced apoptosis and could be an alternative target for overcoming paclitaxel resistance. ..
- Rasul A, Bao R, Malhi M, Zhao B, Tsuji I, Li J, et al. Induction of apoptosis by costunolide in bladder cancer cells is mediated through ROS generation and mitochondrial dysfunction. Molecules. 2013;18:1418-33 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the rationale for further in vivo and clinical investigation of costunolide against human bladder cancer. ..
- Kim J, Kim Y, Fang C, Russell R, Kim J, Fan W, et al. Differential regulation of distinct Vps34 complexes by AMPK in nutrient stress and autophagy. Cell. 2013;152:290-303 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals an intricate molecular regulation of Vps34 complexes by AMPK in nutrient stress response and autophagy. ..
- Perez Lopez A, Rosales Reyes R, Alpuche Aranda C, Ortiz Navarrete V. Salmonella downregulates Nod-like receptor family CARD domain containing protein 4 expression to promote its survival in B cells by preventing inflammasome activation and cell death. J Immunol. 2013;190:1201-9 pubmed publisher..The ability of Salmonella to inhibit IL-1? production also prevents B cell death; thus, B cells represent an ideal niche in which Salmonella resides, thereby promoting its persistence and dissemination. ..
- Anusha S, Mohan C, Ananda H, Baburajeev C, Rangappa S, Mathai J, et al. Adamantyl-tethered-biphenylic compounds induce apoptosis in cancer cells by targeting Bcl homologs. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:1056-1060 pubmed publisher..In summary, we report on the synthesis and biological characterization of adamantyl-tethered biphenylic compounds that induce apoptosis in tumor cells most likely by targeting Bcl homologs. ..
- Li C, Deng L, Zhi Q, Meng Q, Qian A, Sang H, et al. MicroRNA-183 Functions As an Oncogene by Regulating PDCD4 in Gastric Cancer. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2016;16:447-55 pubmed..Collectively, these observations showed that miR-183 maybe function as an oncogene by regulating GC cell proliferation, apoptosis and metastasis and the oncogenic effect of miR-183 may relate the direct targeting PDCD4. ..
- Liu R, Zhang H, Wang X, Zhou L, Li H, Deng T, et al. The miR-24-Bim pathway promotes tumor growth and angiogenesis in pancreatic carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2015;6:43831-42 pubmed publisher..Therefore, a new pathway comprising miR-24 and Bim can be used in the exploration of drug-target therapy of PaC. ..
- Abdulkareem Z, Gee J, Cox C, Wann K. Knockdown of the small conductance Ca(2+) -activated K(+) channels is potently cytotoxic in breast cancer cell lines. Br J Pharmacol. 2016;173:177-90 pubmed publisher..x channels in migration, blockade of these channels was potently cytotoxic in breast cancer cell lines, pointing to modulation of KCa 2.x channels as a potential therapeutic approach to breast cancer. ..
- Varlet A, Fuchs M, Luthold C, Lambert H, Landry J, Lavoie J. Fine-tuning of actin dynamics by the HSPB8-BAG3 chaperone complex facilitates cytokinesis and contributes to its impact on cell division. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2017;22:553-567 pubmed publisher..They expand a so-far under-appreciated connection between selective autophagy and cellular morphodynamics that guide cell division. ..
- Zhang S, Shui G, Wang G, Wang C, Sun S, Zouboulis C, et al. Cidea control of lipid storage and secretion in mouse and human sebaceous glands. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1827-38 pubmed publisher..Our data revealed that Cidea is a crucial regulator of sebaceous gland lipid storage and sebum lipid secretion in mammals and humans. ..
- Liu Y, Gao X, Deeb D, Zhang Y, Shaw J, Gautam S. Anticancer agent pristimerin inhibits IL-2 induced activation of T lymphocytes. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2016;11:181-188 pubmed..These data demonstrated that PM inhibits IL-2 induced T cell activation and generation of LAK cells by disrupting multiple cell signaling pathways induced by IL-2. ..
- Bleda S, De Haro J, López de Maturana I, Varela C, Ferruelo A, Acin F. Effect of Simvastatin Treatment on "In Vitro" NLRP1 Inflammasome Expression in Peripheral Arterial Disease. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;36:260-264 pubmed publisher..1 ± 0.3 vs. 0.99 ± 0.14, P < 0.001). Simvastatin intake in PAD patients increases in vitro reactivity of NLRP1 inflammasome gene expression in HAECs, especially in critical limb ischemia patients. ..
- Hu W, Zhang Y, Wu W, Yin Y, Huang D, Wang Y, et al. Chronic glucocorticoids exposure enhances neurodegeneration in the frontal cortex and hippocampus via NLRP-1 inflammasome activation in male mice. Brain Behav Immun. 2016;52:58-70 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that chronic GCs exposure may increase brain inflammation via NLRP-1 inflammasome activation and induce neurodegeneration. ..
- Tirapelli D, Menezes S, Franco I, Lustosa I, Rodrigues A, Novais P, et al. High expression of anti-apoptotic genes in grade I and II meningiomas. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2017;75:209-215 pubmed publisher..c-FLIP modulates caspase 8 and, by inhibiting its activation due to the lack of connection with the receiver, there is a block to the FAS activation of apoptosis by its extrinsic pathway. ..
- Yin S, Cui H, Peng X, Fang J, Zuo Z, Deng J, et al. Toxic effect of NiCl2 on development of the bursa of Fabricius in broiler chickens. Oncotarget. 2016;7:125-39 pubmed publisher..This study provides new evidences for further studying the effect mechanism of Ni and Ni compoundson B-cell or bursa of Fabricius. ..
- Daley D, Mani V, Mohan N, Akkad N, Pandian G, Savadkar S, et al. NLRP3 signaling drives macrophage-induced adaptive immune suppression in pancreatic carcinoma. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1711-1724 pubmed publisher..Similarly, transfer of PDA-entrained macrophages or T cells from NLRP3-/- hosts was protective. These data suggest that targeting NLRP3 holds the promise for the immunotherapy of PDA. ..
- Wang R, Ma L, Weng D, Yao J, Liu X, Jin F. Gallic acid induces apoptosis and enhances the anticancer effects of cisplatin in human small cell lung cancer H446 cell line via the ROS-dependent mitochondrial apoptotic pathway. Oncol Rep. 2016;35:3075-83 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the results from the present study revealed that GA exhibited an anticancer effect on human SCLC H446 cells and enhanced the antitumor activities of cisplatin via the ROS-dependent mitochondrial apoptotic pathway. ..
- Jeon B, Yoon J, Han D, Kim M, Kim Y, Choi S, et al. ZNF509S1 downregulates PUMA by inhibiting p53K382 acetylation and p53-DNA binding. Biochim Biophys Acta Gene Regul Mech. 2017;1860:962-972 pubmed publisher..ZNF509S1 may play a role not only in cell cycle arrest, by activating RB expression, but also in rescuing cells from apoptotic death by repressing PUMA expression in cells exposed to severe DNA damage. ..
- Hu W, Kuo K, Senadi G, Chang L, Wang J. Photodynamic Therapy Using Indolines-Fused-Triazoles Induces Mitochondrial Apoptosis in Human Non-Melanoma BCC Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:5499-5505 pubmed..The present study suggest that 1j-PDT may serve as a potential ancillary modality for the treatment of NMSC. ..
- Wang Y, Zheng W, Bian X, Yuan Y, Gu J, Liu X, et al. Zearalenone induces apoptosis and cytoprotective autophagy in primary Leydig cells. Toxicol Lett. 2014;226:182-91 pubmed publisher..Autophagy delayed apoptosis in the ZEA-treated Leydig cells. Therefore, autophagy may prevent cells from undergoing apoptosis by reducing ZEA-induced cytotoxicity. ..
- Wu Z, Zheng C, Zhu Z, Wu F, Ni G, Liang Y. SiRNA-mediated serotonin transporter knockdown in the dorsal raphe nucleus rescues single prolonged stress-induced hippocampal autophagy in rats. J Neurol Sci. 2016;360:133-40 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that SERT may play a critical role in the pathogenesis of hippocampal autophagy, and is likely involved in the development of PTSD. ..
- Zhang H, Wang H, Xiao X, Zhang T. Melamine Alters Glutamatergic Synaptic Transmission of CA3-CA1 Synapses Presynaptically Through Autophagy Activation in the Rat Hippocampus. Neurotox Res. 2016;29:135-42 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results show that melamine presynaptically alters glutamatergic synaptic transmission of hippocampal CA3-CA1 synapses in vitro and this is likely associated with autophagy alteration. ..
- Cheng Y, Chen G, Hu M, Huang J, Li B, Zhou L, et al. Has-miR-30a regulates autophagic activity in cervical cancer upon hydroxycamptothecin exposure. Biomed Pharmacother. 2015;75:67-74 pubmed publisher..It is the first time provide a deeper understanding of the mechanisms underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms by which HCPT affect cervical cancer. ..
- Kimura T, Jain A, Choi S, Mandell M, Schroder K, Johansen T, et al. TRIM-mediated precision autophagy targets cytoplasmic regulators of innate immunity. J Cell Biol. 2015;210:973-89 pubmed..In the case of TRIM20 and TRIM21, precision autophagy controls the hub signaling machineries and key factors, inflammasome and type I interferon, directing cardinal innate immunity response systems in humans. ..
- Denes A, Coutts G, Lénárt N, Cruickshank S, Pelegrin P, Skinner J, et al. AIM2 and NLRC4 inflammasomes contribute with ASC to acute brain injury independently of NLRP3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:4050-5 pubmed publisher..These discoveries identify the NLRC4 and AIM2 inflammasomes as potential therapeutic targets for stroke and provide new insights into how the inflammatory response is regulated after an acute injury to the brain. ..
- Rauch I, Deets K, Ji D, von Moltke J, Tenthorey J, Lee A, et al. NAIP-NLRC4 Inflammasomes Coordinate Intestinal Epithelial Cell Expulsion with Eicosanoid and IL-18 Release via Activation of Caspase-1 and -8. Immunity. 2017;46:649-659 pubmed publisher..Thus, a coordinated IEC-intrinsic, Caspase-1 and -8 inflammasome response plays a key role in intestinal immune defense and pathology. ..
- Ferreira C, Carvalho K, Maganhin C, Paiotti A, Oshima C, SimÃµes M, et al. Does melatonin influence the apoptosis in rat uterus of animals exposed to continuous light?. Apoptosis. 2016;21:155-62 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that melatonin influences the mechanism and decreases the apoptosis in uterus of rats exposed to continuous light. ..
- Li M, Liu C, Yang L, Zhang L, Chen C, He M, et al. G9a-mediated histone methylation regulates cadmium-induced male fertility damage in pubertal mice. Toxicol Lett. 2016;252:11-21 pubmed publisher..Our present study revealed that G9a-mediated histone methylation plays a critical role in Cd-induced male fertility damage and testicular cell apoptosis. ..
- Jiang L, He C, Zhu Z. Role of microRNA-21 in radiosensitivity in non-small cell lung cancer cells by targeting PDCD4 gene. Oncotarget. 2017;8:23675-23689 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide strong evidence that miR-21 could inhibit PDCD4 expression and activate PI3K/AKT/mTOR signaling pathway, thereby affecting the radiation sensitivity of NSCLC cells. ..
- Li B, Yue Y, Dong C, Shi Y, Xiong S. Blockade of macrophage autophagy ameliorates activated lymphocytes-derived DNA induced murine lupus possibly via inhibition of proinflammatory cytokine production. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2014;32:705-14 pubmed
- von Rossum A, Enns W, Shi Y, MacEwan G, Malekesmaeli M, Brinkman R, et al. Bim regulates alloimmune-mediated vascular injury through effects on T-cell activation and death. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014;34:1290-7 pubmed publisher..Bim controls both T-cell activation and death in response to alloantigen stimulation. These processes act cooperatively to determine the outcome of immune responses in allograft arteries. ..
- Jang G, Lee M. BH3-mimetic gossypol-induced autophagic cell death in mutant BRAF melanoma cells with high expression of p21Cip¹.). Life Sci. 2014;102:41-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that gossypol may exhibit potential for the treatment of BRAF inhibitor-resistant tumors, but a functional p21(Cip1) is a prerequisite for a positive response to its clinical application. ..
- Takahara T, Inoue K, Arai Y, Kuwata K, Shibata H, Maki M. The calcium-binding protein ALG-2 regulates protein secretion and trafficking via interactions with MISSL and MAP1B proteins. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17057-17072 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a change in the intracellular calcium level plays a role in regulation of the secretory pathway via interaction of ALG-2 with MISSL and MAP1B. ..