Genomes and Genes
fibroblast growth factor 5
Summary: A fibroblast growth factor that may play a role in regulation of HAIR FOLLICLE phenotype. Spontaneous mutation of the gene for this protein results in a strain of MICE with abnormally long hair, referred to as angora mice.
- Rosenquist T, Martin G. Fibroblast growth factor signalling in the hair growth cycle: expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor and ligand genes in the murine hair follicle. Dev Dyn. 1996;205:379-86 pubmed
- Dalet A, Vigneron N, Stroobant V, Hanada K, van den Eynde B. Splicing of distant peptide fragments occurs in the proteasome by transpeptidation and produces the spliced antigenic peptide derived from fibroblast growth factor-5. J Immunol. 2010;184:3016-24 pubmed publisher..Finally, we observed that trans-splicing (i.e., splicing of fragments from two distinct proteins) can occur in the cell, but with a much lower efficacy than splicing of fragments from the same protein. ..
- Hattori Y, Yamasaki M, Itoh N. The rat FGF-5 mRNA variant generated by alternative splicing encodes a novel truncated form of FGF-5. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996;1306:31-3 pubmed..The variant mRNA as well as the FGF-5 mRNA was detected in the embryo and adult brain. This is the first description of the mRNA for a truncated form of FGF within the FGF family. ..
- Li C, Jiang M, Chen S, Lai S. [Correlation analysis between single nucleotide polymorphism of FGF5 gene and wool yield in rabbits]. Yi Chuan. 2008;30:893-9 pubmed
- Lynch P, Lee T, Fallavollita J, Canty J, Suzuki G. Intracoronary administration of AdvFGF-5 (fibroblast growth factor-5) ameliorates left ventricular dysfunction and prevents myocyte loss in swine with developing collaterals and ischemic cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2007;116:I71-6 pubmed..Thus, AdvFGF-5 offers a potential therapeutic approach to prevent the progression of ischemic cardiomyopathy and heart failure. ..
- Roberts R, Ellis R. Mitogenic effects of fibroblast growth factors on chicken granulosa and theca cells in vitro. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:1387-92 pubmed
- Vemaraju S, Kantarci H, Padanad M, Riley B. A spatial and temporal gradient of Fgf differentially regulates distinct stages of neural development in the zebrafish inner ear. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003068 pubmed publisher..Thus Fgf signaling renders SAG development self-regulating, ensuring steady production of an appropriate number of neurons as the larva grows...
- McGeachie A, Koishi K, Imamura T, McLennan I. Fibroblast growth factor-5 is expressed in Schwann cells and is not essential for motoneurone survival. Neuroscience. 2001;104:891-9 pubmed..Collectively these experiments suggest that FGF-5 is not a physiological regulator of motoneurones, and therefore raise the possibility that it is an autocrine regulator of Schwann cells. ..
- Bates B, Hardin J, Zhan X, Drickamer K, Goldfarb M. Biosynthesis of human fibroblast growth factor-5. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:1840-5 pubmed..FGF-5 is secreted from transfected 3T3 cells and from human tumor cells as glycoproteins containing heterogeneous amounts of sialic acid. Glycosidase treatments suggest that the growth factor bears both N-linked and O-linked sugars. ..
- Allerstorfer S, Sonvilla G, Fischer H, Spiegl Kreinecker S, Gauglhofer C, Setinek U, et al. FGF5 as an oncogenic factor in human glioblastoma multiforme: autocrine and paracrine activities. Oncogene. 2008;27:4180-90 pubmed publisherb>Fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5) is widely expressed in embryonic but scarcely in adult tissues...
- Suzuki G, Lee T, Fallavollita J, Canty J. Adenoviral gene transfer of FGF-5 to hibernating myocardium improves function and stimulates myocytes to hypertrophy and reenter the cell cycle. Circ Res. 2005;96:767-75 pubmed
- Takeuchi F, Isono M, Katsuya T, Yamamoto K, Yokota M, Sugiyama T, et al. Blood pressure and hypertension are associated with 7 loci in the Japanese population. Circulation. 2010;121:2302-9 pubmed publisher..We have confirmed 7 loci associated with blood pressure and/or hypertension in the Japanese. These loci can guide fine-mapping efforts to pinpoint causal variants and causal genes with the integration of multiethnic results. ..
- Ku C, Browne M, Gregson P, Corbeil J, Pioletti D. Large-scale gene expression analysis of osteoblasts cultured on three different Ti-6Al-4V surface treatments. Biomaterials. 2002;23:4193-202 pubmed
- Pelton T, Sharma S, Schulz T, Rathjen J, Rathjen P. Transient pluripotent cell populations during primitive ectoderm formation: correlation of in vivo and in vitro pluripotent cell development. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:329-39 pubmed
- Clements D, Wang J, Dionne C, Goldfarb M. Activation of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) receptors by recombinant human FGF-5. Oncogene. 1993;8:1311-6 pubmedWe have purified biologically active recombinant human fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF-5) from Escherichia coli...
- Pena J, Kelekar A, Fuchs E, Thompson C. Manipulation of outer root sheath cell survival perturbs the hair-growth cycle. EMBO J. 1999;18:3596-603 pubmed..Thus, the production of growth inhibitory factors by ORS cells may provide a mechanism through which the hair-growth cycle is regulated by cell survival. ..
- Han J, Martin G. Embryonic expression of Fgf-6 is restricted to the skeletal muscle lineage. Dev Biol. 1993;158:549-54 pubmed..These results are discussed in comparison with what is known about the expression patterns of the genes encoding other FGF family members, as well as their high-affinity receptors. ..
- Chen Z, Wang Z, Xu S, Zhou K, Yang G. Characterization of hairless (Hr) and FGF5 genes provides insights into the molecular basis of hair loss in cetaceans. BMC Evol Biol. 2013;13:34 pubmed publisher..Consequently, the hair follicle cycle was disrupted and the hair was lost completely due to the loss of the Hr gene function in cetaceans. This suggests that cetaceans have evolved an effective and complex mechanism for hair loss...
- Vigneron N. [Antigenic peptides for peptide splicing in the proteosome]. Bull Mem Acad R Med Belg. 2010;165:305-9 pubmed..The peptide splicing reaction takes place in the proteasome and occurs by transpeptidation. Here, we describe the discovery of this new mechanism of production of antigenic peptides. ..
- Choi H, Choi G, Kim E, Choi Y, Sohn K, Lee Y, et al. Hair greying is associated with active hair growth. Br J Dermatol. 2011;165:1183-9 pubmed publisher..Gene expression of fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5) was downregulated in white hair compared with black hair...
- Newton Cheh C, Johnson T, Gateva V, Tobin M, Bochud M, Coin L, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies eight loci associated with blood pressure. Nat Genet. 2009;41:666-76 pubmed publisher..These associations between common variants and blood pressure and hypertension offer mechanistic insights into the regulation of blood pressure and may point to novel targets for interventions to prevent cardiovascular disease. ..
- Wang W, Richerson G. Chemosensitivity of non-respiratory rat CNS neurons in tissue culture. Brain Res. 2000;860:119-29 pubmed..Chemosensitivity is not an all-or-none neuronal property, and the degree of chemosensitivity may be relevant to the role neurons play in sensing pH in vivo. ..
- Kitaoka T, Morse L, Schneeberger S, Ishigooka H, Hjelmeland L. Expression of FGF5 in choroidal neovascular membranes associated with ARMD. Curr Eye Res. 1997;16:396-9 pubmed..FGF5 was expressed in membranes arising from ARMD, and was found primarily in blood vessels and the surrounding extracellular matrix. These results suggest that FGF5 may have a functional role in the pathophysiology of ARMD. ..
- Ozawa K, Suzuki S, Asada M, Tomooka Y, Li A, Yoneda A, et al. An alternatively spliced fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-5 mRNA is abundant in brain and translates into a partial agonist/antagonist for FGF-5 neurotrophic activity. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:29262-71 pubmed..These results suggest that FGF-5S is a naturally expressed partial agonist/antagonist of FGF-5 neurotrophic activity in the brain and that its effects are exerted in part at the level of the receptor. ..
- Kumar M, Chapman S. Cloning and expression analysis of Fgf5, 6 and 7 during early chick development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2012;12:245-53 pubmed publisher..FGF7 is similarly conserved except for the zebrafish, which has considerably diverged. ..
- Toh Y, Voldman J. Fluid shear stress primes mouse embryonic stem cells for differentiation in a self-renewing environment via heparan sulfate proteoglycans transduction. FASEB J. 2011;25:1208-17 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that self-renewing mESCs possess the molecular machinery to sense shear stress and provides quantitative shear application benchmarks for future scalable stem cell culture systems. ..
- Rhee M, Yang S, Oh S, Park Y, Kim C, Park H, et al. Novel genetic variations associated with salt sensitivity in the Korean population. Hypertens Res. 2011;34:606-11 pubmed publisher..plasma membrane 1 (ATP2B1), rs7961152 in branched chain aminotransferase 1 (BCAT1), rs16998073 in fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5) and rs2398162 in LOC100132798...
- Xi B, Cheng H, Shen Y, Zhao X, Hou D, Wang X, et al. Physical activity modifies the associations between genetic variants and hypertension in the Chinese children. Atherosclerosis. 2012;225:376-80 pubmed publisher..Physical activity should be prescribed for hypertensive children, especially for those with high risk genetic alleles. ..
- Werner S, Roth W, Bates B, Goldfarb M, Hofschneider P. Fibroblast growth factor 5 proto-oncogene is expressed in normal human fibroblasts and induced by serum growth factors. Oncogene. 1991;6:2137-44 pubmedb>Fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF-5) is a member of the fibroblast growth factor family with transforming potential...
- Zeisel M, Druet V, Wachsmann D, Sibilia J. MMP-3 expression and release by rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes induced with a bacterial ligand of integrin alpha5beta1. Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7:R118-26 pubmed
- Brogi E, Winkles J, Underwood R, Clinton S, Alberts G, Libby P. Distinct patterns of expression of fibroblast growth factors and their receptors in human atheroma and nonatherosclerotic arteries. Association of acidic FGF with plaque microvessels and macrophages. J Clin Invest. 1993;92:2408-18 pubmed..normal arteries suggests that this growth factor may not contribute to cell proliferation in advanced atherosclerosis. However, aFGF produced by plaque macrophages may stimulate the growth of microvessels during human atherogenesis. ..
- Engelhard V. Creating new peptide antigens by slicing and splicing proteins. Nat Immunol. 2004;5:128-9 pubmed
- Li K, Stewart D, Ward H. Technology evaluation: gene therapy (FGF-5), Vical. Curr Opin Mol Ther. 1999;1:260-5 pubmed..In December 1996, the US patent office issued patent number US-05580859, covering Vical's naked DNA technology . ..
- Kornmann M, Lopez M, Beger H, Korc M. Expression of the IIIc variant of FGF receptor-1 confers mitogenic responsiveness to heparin and FGF-5 in TAKA-1 pancreatic ductal cells. Int J Pancreatol. 2001;29:85-92 pubmed
- Xi B, Shen Y, Reilly K, Wang X, Mi J. Recapitulation of four hypertension susceptibility genes (CSK, CYP17A1, MTHFR, and FGF5) in East Asians. Metabolism. 2013;62:196-203 pubmed publisher..98-1.14, p=0.126, I(2)=0.0%, p (heterogeneity)=0.822). The present meta-analysis indicated significant associations of both CYP17A1 rs11191548 and FGF5 rs16998073 polymorphisms with hypertension susceptibility in East Asians. ..
- Liu W, Jia B, Shi G, Ren J, Liu K, Ma R. [Cloning, expression analysis and RNA interference of FGF5 gene in sheep]. Yi Chuan. 2011;33:982-8 pubmedThe cDNA of fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5) gene in sheep was cloned, and the nucleotides sequence homology of FGF5 was compared with other six mammal. In addition, the expression of FGF5 in different tissues was analysed...
- Mizuno S, Iijima S, Okano T, Kajiwara N, Kunita S, Sugiyama F, et al. Retrotransposon-mediated Fgf5(go-Utr) mutant mice with long pelage hair. Exp Anim. 2011;60:161-7 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the long hair mutation of moja/moja mice is caused by disruption of Fgf5 mediated by insertion of a retrotransposon. ..
- Li J, Shi J, Huang W, Sun J, Wu Y, Duan Q, et al. Variant Near FGF5 Has Stronger Effects on Blood Pressure in Chinese With a Higher Body Mass Index. Am J Hypertens. 2015;28:1031-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest high BMI increases the effect of the blood pressure-increasing allele at rs1458038 near FGF5, further highlighting the importance of obesity prevention in reducing hypertension risk. ..
- Parker H, Chase K, Cadieu E, Lark K, Ostrander E. An insertion in the RSPO2 gene correlates with improper coat in the Portuguese water dog. J Hered. 2010;101:612-7 pubmed publisher..The development of a genetic test that distinguishes these 2 allelic types would allow breeders to easily avoid producing PWD with ICs. ..
- Evans N, Minelli C, Gentleman E, LaPointe V, Patankar S, Kallivretaki M, et al. Substrate stiffness affects early differentiation events in embryonic stem cells. Eur Cell Mater. 2009;18:1-13; discussion 13-4 pubmed
- Sundberg J, Rourk M, Boggess D, Hogan M, Sundberg B, Bertolino A. Angora mouse mutation: altered hair cycle, follicular dystrophy, phenotypic maintenance of skin grafts, and changes in keratin expression. Vet Pathol. 1997;34:171-9 pubmedAngora is an autosomal recessive mouse mutation caused by a deletion of approximately 2 kilobases in the fibroblast growth factor 5 (Fgf5) gene...
- Furue M, Okamoto T, Hayashi Y, Okochi H, Fujimoto M, Myoishi Y, et al. Leukemia inhibitory factor as an anti-apoptotic mitogen for pluripotent mouse embryonic stem cells in a serum-free medium without feeder cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2005;41:19-28 pubmed..Because this simple serum-free adherent monoculture system supports the long-term propagation of pluripotent ES cells in vitro, it will allow the elucidation of ES cell responses to growth factors under defined conditions. ..
- Reuss B, Hertel M, Werner S, Unsicker K. Fibroblast growth factors-5 and -9 distinctly regulate expression and function of the gap junction protein connexin43 in cultured astroglial cells from different brain regions. Glia. 2000;30:231-41 pubmed..The molecular basis underlying the regionally distinct responsiveness of astrocytes to different FGFs may be sought beyond distinct FGFR expression. ..
- de Vries C, van Achterberg T, Horrevoets A, ten Cate J, Pannekoek H. Differential display identification of 40 genes with altered expression in activated human smooth muscle cells. Local expression in atherosclerotic lesions of smags, smooth muscle activation-specific genes. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:23939-47 pubmed..Moreover, we identified interesting candidate genes that may play a role in the differentiation of SMCs during atherogenesis. ..
- Dalet A, Stroobant V, Vigneron N, van den Eynde B. Differences in the production of spliced antigenic peptides by the standard proteasome and the immunoproteasome. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:39-46 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, given the presence of immunoproteasomes in dendritic cells and cells exposed to IFN-?, the findings may be relevant for vaccine design. ..
- Tzimagiorgis G, Michaelidis T, Lindholm D, Thoenen H. Introduction of the negative selection marker into replacement vectors by a single ligation step. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:3476-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that this fast and simple method consistently provides a high level of enrichment of appropriately targeted clones. ..
- Cadieu E, Neff M, Quignon P, Walsh K, Chase K, Parker H, et al. Coat variation in the domestic dog is governed by variants in three genes. Science. 2009;326:150-3 pubmed publisher..Thus, an array of varied and seemingly complex phenotypes can be reduced to the combinatorial effects of only a few genes. ..
- Liu H, Yang G, Zhang W, Zhu X, Jia Z. [Effects of FGF5 gene on fibre traits on Inner Mongolian cashmere goats]. Yi Chuan. 2009;31:175-9 pubmed..05), but have slightly effect on others fibre traits (P>0.05). Cashmere fibre stretched length (P<0.01) and cashmere rate (P<0.05) in individuals of genotype AB was significantly higher than that in individuals of genotype AA. ..
- Tian X, Chen G, Zhou S, Henne Bruns D, Bachem M, Kornmann M. Interactions of pancreatic cancer and stellate cells are mediated by FGFR1-III isoform expression. Hepatogastroenterology. 2012;59:1604-8 pubmed publisher..We identified in this study a mechanism based on tumor-stroma interactions involving PSCs that can contribute to enhance the malignant phenotype of human pancreatic cancer. ..
- Kornmann M, Ishiwata T, Beger H, Korc M. Fibroblast growth factor-5 stimulates mitogenic signaling and is overexpressed in human pancreatic cancer: evidence for autocrine and paracrine actions. Oncogene. 1997;15:1417-24 pubmed..These observations suggest that FGF-5 may participate in autocrine and paracrine pathways promoting pancreatic cancer cell growth in vivo. ..
- Dierks C, Mömke S, Philipp U, Distl O. Allelic heterogeneity of FGF5 mutations causes the long-hair phenotype in dogs. Anim Genet. 2013;44:425-31 pubmed publisherHitherto, the only known mutant gene leading to the long-hair phenotype in mammals is the fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5). In many dog breeds, the previously discovered FGF5:p...
- Ito C, Saitoh Y, Fujita Y, Yamazaki Y, Imamura T, Oka S, et al. Decapeptide with fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-5 partial sequence inhibits hair growth suppressing activity of FGF-5. J Cell Physiol. 2003;197:272-83 pubmed