Genomes and Genes
Summary: A cytokine produced by bone marrow stromal cells that promotes the growth of B-LYMPHOCYTE precursors and is co-mitogenic with INTERLEUKIN-2 for mature T-LYMPHOCYTE activation.
- Li B, VanRoey M, Jooss K. Recombinant IL-7 enhances the potency of GM-CSF-secreting tumor cell immunotherapy. Clin Immunol. 2007;123:155-65 pubmed..Taken together, these studies demonstrate that IL-7 augments the anti-tumor response of a GM-CSF-secreting tumor cell immunotherapy in preclinical models. ..
- Mazzucchelli R, Durum S. Interleukin-7 receptor expression: intelligent design. Nat Rev Immunol. 2007;7:144-54 pubmed
- Roato I, Brunetti G, Gorassini E, Grano M, Colucci S, Bonello L, et al. IL-7 up-regulates TNF-alpha-dependent osteoclastogenesis in patients affected by solid tumor. PLoS ONE. 2006;1:e124 pubmed..These findings add further details to the disclosure of the mechanisms controlling bone metastasis in solid tumors. ..
- Sato N, Patel H, Waldmann T, Tagaya Y. The IL-15/IL-15Ralpha on cell surfaces enables sustained IL-15 activity and contributes to the long survival of CD8 memory T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:588-93 pubmed
- Vosshenrich C, Garcia Ojeda M, Samson Villéger S, Pasqualetto V, Enault L, Richard Le Goff O, et al. A thymic pathway of mouse natural killer cell development characterized by expression of GATA-3 and CD127. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:1217-24 pubmed..NK cells repopulated peripheral lymphoid organs, and their homeostasis was strictly dependent on GATA-3 and interleukin 7. The CD127+ NK cells had a distinct phenotype (CD11b(lo) CD16- CD69(hi) Ly49(lo)) and unusual functional ..
- Surh C, Boyman O, Purton J, Sprent J. Homeostasis of memory T cells. Immunol Rev. 2006;211:154-63 pubmed..For memory CD4+ T cells, IL-7 has an important role, whereas the influence of IL-15 is still unclear. ..
- Fluur C, De Milito A, Fry T, Vivar N, Eidsmo L, Atlas A, et al. Potential role for IL-7 in Fas-mediated T cell apoptosis during HIV infection. J Immunol. 2007;178:5340-50 pubmed..Elevated IL-7 levels associated with lymphopenic conditions, including HIV-infection, might participate in the increased sensitivity of T cells for activation-induced apoptosis. ..
- Meier D, Bornmann C, Chappaz S, Schmutz S, Otten L, Ceredig R, et al. Ectopic lymphoid-organ development occurs through interleukin 7-mediated enhanced survival of lymphoid-tissue-inducer cells. Immunity. 2007;26:643-54 pubmed..Therefore, by controlling LTi cell numbers, IL-7 can regulate the formation of both normal and ectopic lymphoid organs. ..
- van Lent A, Dontje W, Nagasawa M, Siamari R, Bakker A, Pouw S, et al. IL-7 enhances thymic human T cell development in "human immune system" Rag2-/-IL-2Rgammac-/- mice without affecting peripheral T cell homeostasis. J Immunol. 2009;183:7645-55 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results provide evidence for an important role of IL-7 in human T cell development in vivo and highlight the notion that IL-7 availability is but one of many signals that condition peripheral T cell homeostasis. ..
- Lundmark F, Duvefelt K, Iacobaeus E, Kockum I, Wallstrom E, Khademi M, et al. Variation in interleukin 7 receptor alpha chain (IL7R) influences risk of multiple sclerosis. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1108-13 pubmed..Here, we report compelling evidence that polymorphisms in IL7R, which encodes the interleukin 7 receptor alpha chain (IL7Ralpha), indeed contribute to the non-HLA genetic risk in multiple sclerosis, ..
- Kim H, Hwang K, Kang I. Dual roles of IL-15 in maintaining IL-7RalphalowCCR7- memory CD8+ T cells in humans via recovering the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT pathway. J Immunol. 2007;179:6734-40 pubmed..Moreover, IL-15 can be useful in reviving impaired proliferative function of such memory CD8(+) T cells with effector functions against infections and tumors via rescuing the PI3K/AKT pathway. ..
- Pellegrini M, Calzascia T, Elford A, Shahinian A, Lin A, Dissanayake D, et al. Adjuvant IL-7 antagonizes multiple cellular and molecular inhibitory networks to enhance immunotherapies. Nat Med. 2009;15:528-36 pubmed publisher..The ability of adjuvant IL-7 to antagonize inhibitory networks at the cellular and molecular level has major implications for immunotherapy in the treatment of tumors. ..
- Johnson K, Hashimshony T, Sawai C, Pongubala J, Skok J, Aifantis I, et al. Regulation of immunoglobulin light-chain recombination by the transcription factor IRF-4 and the attenuation of interleukin-7 signaling. Immunity. 2008;28:335-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that IRF-4 coordinates the two pathways regulating light-chain recombination by positioning pre-B cells away from IL-7-expressing stromal cells. ..
- Wofford J, Wieman H, Jacobs S, Zhao Y, Rathmell J. IL-7 promotes Glut1 trafficking and glucose uptake via STAT5-mediated activation of Akt to support T-cell survival. Blood. 2008;111:2101-11 pubmed
- Rajasuriar R, Booth D, Solomon A, Chua K, Spelman T, Gouillou M, et al. Biological determinants of immune reconstitution in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy: the role of interleukin 7 and interleukin 7 receptor ? and microbial translocation. J Infect Dis. 2010;202:1254-64 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that residual immune activation and polymorphisms in the interleukin 7 (IL-7) receptor ? (IL-7R?) gene were important for immune recovery...
- Singh H, Pongubala J, Medina K. Gene regulatory networks that orchestrate the development of B lymphocyte precursors. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;596:57-62 pubmed..1, Ikaros, E2A, EBF and Pax-5. We review recent experimental evidence concerning the molecular functions of these regulatory components and attempt to connect them in sequentially acting and inter-dependent regulatory modules. ..
- Schmutz S, Bosco N, Chappaz S, Boyman O, Acha Orbea H, Ceredig R, et al. Cutting edge: IL-7 regulates the peripheral pool of adult ROR gamma+ lymphoid tissue inducer cells. J Immunol. 2009;183:2217-21 pubmed publisher..Our observations demonstrate that adult CD4(+)lineage(-) cells are LTi cells and that the availability of IL-7 determines the size of the adult LTi cell pool. ..
- Levy Y, Lacabaratz C, Weiss L, Viard J, Goujard C, Lelievre J, et al. Enhanced T cell recovery in HIV-1-infected adults through IL-7 treatment. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:997-1007 pubmed publisher..Therefore, patients may benefit from intermittent therapy with IL-7 in combination with c-ART. ..
- Long D, Blake S, Song X, Lark M, Loeser R. Human articular chondrocytes produce IL-7 and respond to IL-7 with increased production of matrix metalloproteinase-13. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008;10:R23 pubmed publisher..These novel findings indicate that IL-7 may contribute to cartilage destruction in joint diseases, including osteoarthritis. ..
- Lambeck A, Crijns A, Leffers N, Sluiter W, ten Hoor K, Braid M, et al. Serum cytokine profiling as a diagnostic and prognostic tool in ovarian cancer: a potential role for interleukin 7. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:2385-91 pubmed..IL-7 levels were found to be strongly associated with ovarian cancer and could be used in combination with CA-125 to distinguish between malignant and benign ovarian tumors. ..
- Brown V, Hulitt J, Fish J, Sheen C, Bruno M, Xu Q, et al. Thymic stromal-derived lymphopoietin induces proliferation of pre-B leukemia and antagonizes mTOR inhibitors, suggesting a role for interleukin-7Ralpha signaling. Cancer Res. 2007;67:9963-70 pubmed..Thus, further exploration of the IL-7Ralpha pathway may identify potential therapeutic targets in the treatment of ALL. Our data illustrate that growth-factor-mediated signaling may provide one mechanism of MTI resistance. ..
- Lundmark F, Duvefelt K, Hillert J. Genetic association analysis of the interleukin 7 gene (IL7) in multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2007;192:171-3 pubmed..We conclude that the IL7 gene is very unlikely to influence the genetic susceptibility to MS in this population. ..
- Song H, Nakayama E, Likanonsakul S, Wasi C, Iwamoto A, Shioda T. A three-base-deletion polymorphism in the upstream non-coding region of human interleukin 7 (IL-7) gene could enhance levels of IL-7 expression. Int J Immunogenet. 2007;34:107-13 pubmedb>Interleukin 7 (IL-7) is a key factor in the survival, development and proliferation of B and T lymphocytes. Elevation of plasma IL-7 has been reported in several lymphopenia cases such as HIV-1 patients...
- Purton J, Tan J, Rubinstein M, Kim D, Sprent J, Surh C. Antiviral CD4+ memory T cells are IL-15 dependent. J Exp Med. 2007;204:951-61 pubmed..Therefore, under normal physiological conditions, homeostasis of CD8(+) and CD4(+) memory cells is quite similar and involves IL-15 and IL-7. ..
- Klonowski K, Williams K, Marzo A, Lefrancois L. Cutting edge: IL-7-independent regulation of IL-7 receptor alpha expression and memory CD8 T cell development. J Immunol. 2006;177:4247-51 pubmed..Thus, IL-7Ralpha regulation occurs independently of IL-7 in responding CD8 T cells, indicating that CD8 memory T cell precursors are not selected by IL-7/IL-7Ralpha interactions. ..
- Scupoli M, Perbellini O, Krampera M, Vinante F, Cioffi F, Pizzolo G. Interleukin 7 requirement for survival of T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia and human thymocytes on bone marrow stroma. Haematologica. 2007;92:264-6 pubmed..We presented evidence that IL-7 has a major role in the enhanced survival mediated by BM stroma both in T-ALL cells and thymocytes. ..
- Sereti I, Dunham R, Spritzler J, Aga E, Proschan M, Medvik K, et al. IL-7 administration drives T cell-cycle entry and expansion in HIV-1 infection. Blood. 2009;113:6304-14 pubmed publisherb>Interleukin 7 (IL-7) is a common gamma chain receptor cytokine implicated in thymopoiesis and in peripheral expansion and survival of T lymphocytes...
- Ming J, Zhang Q, Qiu X, Wang E. Interleukin 7/interleukin 7 receptor induce c-Fos/c-Jun-dependent vascular endothelial growth factor-D up-regulation: a mechanism of lymphangiogenesis in lung cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45:866-73 pubmed publisherb>Interleukin 7 (IL-7) is known to promote lymphangiogenesis...
- Nakayama J, Yamamoto M, Hayashi K, Satoh H, Bundo K, Kubo M, et al. BLNK suppresses pre-B-cell leukemogenesis through inhibition of JAK3. Blood. 2009;113:1483-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, somatic loss of BLNK and concomitant mutations leading to constitutive activation of Jak/STAT5 pathway result in the generation of pre-B-cell leukemia. ..
- Bayer A, Lee J, de la Barrera A, Surh C, Malek T. A function for IL-7R for CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ T regulatory cells. J Immunol. 2008;181:225-34 pubmed..Collectively, these data indicate that IL-7R signaling contributes to Treg cell development and peripheral homeostasis. ..
- de Lalla C, Festuccia N, Albrecht I, Chang H, Andolfi G, Benninghoff U, et al. Innate-like effector differentiation of human invariant NKT cells driven by IL-7. J Immunol. 2008;180:4415-24 pubmed..The innate nature of human iNKT cells could thus derive from lineage-specific developmental cues that selectively make these cells efficient IL-7 responders following thymic selection. ..
- Giuliani N, Colla S, Morandi F, Lazzaretti M, Sala R, Bonomini S, et al. Myeloma cells block RUNX2/CBFA1 activity in human bone marrow osteoblast progenitors and inhibit osteoblast formation and differentiation. Blood. 2005;106:2472-83 pubmed
- Kieper W, Troy A, Burghardt J, Ramsey C, Lee J, Jiang H, et al. Recent immune status determines the source of antigens that drive homeostatic T cell expansion. J Immunol. 2005;174:3158-63 pubmed..Thus, polyclonal naive T cell expansion in T cell-deficient hosts can be driven predominantly by either self-Ags or foreign Ags depending on the host's previous state of T cell immunocompetency. ..
- Dias S, Silva H, Cumano A, Vieira P. Interleukin-7 is necessary to maintain the B cell potential in common lymphoid progenitors. J Exp Med. 2005;201:971-9 pubmed..This is the first example of a cytokine influencing lymphoid lineage commitment in multipotent progenitors and highlights the relevance of the expression of a functional IL-7 receptor at the CLP stage. ..
- Kikuchi K, Lai A, Hsu C, Kondo M. IL-7 receptor signaling is necessary for stage transition in adult B cell development through up-regulation of EBF. J Exp Med. 2005;201:1197-203 pubmed..Thus, IL-7 receptor signaling is a participant in the formation of the transcription factor network during B lymphopoiesis by up-regulating EBF, allowing stage transition from the pre-pro-B to further maturational stages. ..
- Melchionda F, Fry T, Milliron M, McKirdy M, Tagaya Y, Mackall C. Adjuvant IL-7 or IL-15 overcomes immunodominance and improves survival of the CD8+ memory cell pool. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:1177-87 pubmed
- Jiang Q, Li W, Aiello F, Mazzucchelli R, Asefa B, Khaled A, et al. Cell biology of IL-7, a key lymphotrophin. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2005;16:513-33 pubmed..There remain significant questions regarding IL-7 production and the major producing cells have yet to be fully characterized. ..
- Rethi B, Fluur C, Atlas A, Krzyzowska M, Mowafi F, Grutzmeier S, et al. Loss of IL-7Ralpha is associated with CD4 T-cell depletion, high interleukin-7 levels and CD28 down-regulation in HIV infected patients. AIDS. 2005;19:2077-86 pubmed..Differentiation towards a CD28-negative memory phenotype in response to chronic activation may lead to an overall decrease of IL-7 mediated survival within the peripheral T-cell pool. ..
- Johnson S, Shah N, Panoskaltsis Mortari A, Lebien T. Murine and human IL-7 activate STAT5 and induce proliferation of normal human pro-B cells. J Immunol. 2005;175:7325-31 pubmed..Our results support a model wherein IL-7 transduces a replicative signal to normal human B-lineage cells that is complemented by additional stromal cell-derived signals essential for normal human B cell development. ..
- Milne C, Paige C. IL-7: a key regulator of B lymphopoiesis. Semin Immunol. 2006;18:20-30 pubmed..The production of B cells in IL-7 containing cultures is balanced by cell death, since such cells fail to survive for long without additional stimulation. ..
- Kim H, Hong M, Dan J, Kang I. Altered IL-7Ralpha expression with aging and the potential implications of IL-7 therapy on CD8+ T-cell immune responses. Blood. 2006;107:2855-62 pubmed
- Harnaha J, Machen J, Wright M, Lakomy R, Styche A, Trucco M, et al. Interleukin-7 is a survival factor for CD4+ CD25+ T-cells and is expressed by diabetes-suppressive dendritic cells. Diabetes. 2006;55:158-70 pubmed
- Krawczenko A, Kieda C, Dus D. The biological role and potential therapeutic application of interleukin 7. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2005;53:518-25 pubmed..Several therapeutic applications of recombinant IL-7 have been proposed. These have focused on the enhancement of lymphopoiesis, promotion of stem cell engraftment, and the anti-tumor activity of the cytokine. ..
- Liu S, Riley J, Rosenberg S, Parkhurst M. Comparison of common gamma-chain cytokines, interleukin-2, interleukin-7, and interleukin-15 for the in vitro generation of human tumor-reactive T lymphocytes for adoptive cell transfer therapy. J Immunother. 2006;29:284-93 pubmed
- van Roon J, Verweij M, Wijk M, Jacobs K, Bijlsma J, Lafeber F. Increased intraarticular interleukin-7 in rheumatoid arthritis patients stimulates cell contact-dependent activation of CD4(+) T cells and macrophages. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:1700-10 pubmed..Further identification of IL-7-induced pathways may improve understanding of the important interactive role of CD4(+) T cells and monocytic cells in RA. ..
- Bertolino E, Reddy K, Medina K, Parganas E, Ihle J, Singh H. Regulation of interleukin 7-dependent immunoglobulin heavy-chain variable gene rearrangements by transcription factor STAT5. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:836-43 pubmedRearrangement of immunoglobulin heavy-chain variable (V(H)) gene segments has been suggested to be regulated by interleukin 7 signaling in pro-B cells. However, the genetic evidence for this recombination pathway has been challenged...
- Khaled A, Bulavin D, Kittipatarin C, Li W, Alvarez M, Kim K, et al. Cytokine-driven cell cycling is mediated through Cdc25A. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:755-63 pubmed..that in lymphocyte cell lines dependent on interleukin-3 or interleukin-7, or primary lymphocytes dependent on interleukin 7, the phosphatase Cdc25A is the critical mediator of proliferation...
- Li W, Jiang Q, Aleem E, Kaldis P, Khaled A, Durum S. IL-7 promotes T cell proliferation through destabilization of p27Kip1. J Exp Med. 2006;203:573-82 pubmed..Hence, IL-7 maintains T cell proliferation through a novel pathway of p27Kip1 regulation. ..
- Ma A, Koka R, Burkett P. Diverse functions of IL-2, IL-15, and IL-7 in lymphoid homeostasis. Annu Rev Immunol. 2006;24:657-79 pubmed..Trans-presentation also raises several novel cell biological and cellular implications concerning how cytokines support lymphoid homeostasis. ..
- Bradley L, Haynes L, Swain S. IL-7: maintaining T-cell memory and achieving homeostasis. Trends Immunol. 2005;26:172-6 pubmed..In this Review, we discuss the role of IL-7 in the survival and homeostasis of naive and memory T cells and how that role is regulated by other factors. ..
- Lelievre J, Petit F, Arnoult D, Ameisen J, Estaquier J. Interleukin 7 increases human immunodeficiency virus type 1 LAI-mediated Fas-induced T-cell death. J Virol. 2005;79:3195-9 pubmed..Finally, we found that interleukin 7 (IL-7) increases Fas-mediated CD4(+) and CD8(+) T-cell death induced by HIV-1(LAI)...