Genomes and Genes
growth differentiation factor 15
Summary: A growth differentiation factor that is secreted in response to cell stress and in response to MACROPHAGE ACTIVATION. In addition growth differentiation factor 15 demonstrates a diverse array of biological properties including the induction of cartilage formation, the inhibition of hematopoietic progenitor proliferation, and the induction of neuronal migration.
- Ratnam N, Peterson J, Talbert E, Ladner K, Rajasekera P, Schmidt C, et al. NF-?B regulates GDF-15 to suppress macrophage surveillance during early tumor development. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3796-3809 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we propose that the NF-?B/GDF-15 regulatory axis is important for tumor cells in evading macrophage immune surveillance during the early stages of tumorigenesis. ..
- Hijazi Z, Oldgren J, Andersson U, Connolly S, Eikelboom J, Ezekowitz M, et al. Growth-differentiation factor 15 and risk of major bleeding in atrial fibrillation: Insights from the Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulation Therapy (RE-LY) trial. Am Heart J. 2017;190:94-103 pubmed publisher..Therefore, GDF-15 seems useful as a specific marker of bleeding in patients with AF on oral anticoagulant treatment. ..
- Shao Y, Wang H, Liu C, Cao Q, Fu R, Wang H, et al. Transforming growth factor 15 increased in severe aplastic anemia patients. Hematology. 2017;22:548-553 pubmed publisher..739, p?=?0.000). Our data indicated that GDF-15 plays an important role in iron metabolism in SAA. GDF-15 might be a novel target for SAA therapy. ..
- Jonsdottir B, Jaworowski Å, San Miguel C, Melander O. IL-8 predicts early mortality in patients with acute hypercapnic respiratory failure treated with noninvasive positive pressure ventilation. BMC Pulm Med. 2017;17:35 pubmed publisher..GDF-15 was correlated in the same way, but when put into the same model as IL-8, the significance disappeared. IL-8 is a target to explore further as a predictor of 28 days mortality, in patients with AHRF treated with NPPV. ..
- Prystupa A, Kiciński P, Luchowska Kocot D, Błażewicz A, Niedziałek J, Mizerski G, et al. Association between Serum Selenium Concentrations and Levels of Proinflammatory and Profibrotic Cytokines-Interleukin-6 and Growth Differentiation Factor-15, in Patients with Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..the concentration of selenium and pro-inflammatory and profibrotic cytokines-interleukin-6 (IL-6) and growth differentiation factor 15 (GDF-15) in patients with alcoholic liver cirrhosis...
- Planavila A, Fernández Solà J, Villarroya F. Cardiokines as Modulators of Stress-Induced Cardiac Disorders. Adv Protein Chem Struct Biol. 2017;108:227-256 pubmed publisher..The potential of these cardiokines as clinical biomarkers for diagnosis and prognosis of cardiac disorders is also discussed. ..
- Zhang Y, Jiang W, Wang L, Lingappan K. Sex-specific differences in the modulation of Growth Differentiation Factor 15 (GDF15) by hyperoxia in vivo and in vitro: Role of Hif-1?. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;332:8-14 pubmed publisher..These differences could explain in part the mechanisms behind sex-specific differences in BPD. ..
- Tzikas S, Palapies L, Bakogiannis C, Zeller T, Sinning C, Baldus S, et al. GDF-15 predicts cardiovascular events in acute chest pain patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182314 pubmed publisher..GDF-15 levels correlate with the severity of CAD and can identify and risk-stratify patients who need coronary revascularization. ..
- Clark B, Bull T, Benson A, Stream A, Macht M, Gaydos J, et al. Growth differentiation factor-15 and prognosis in acute respiratory distress syndrome: a retrospective cohort study. Crit Care. 2013;17:R92 pubmed publisher..Levels of GDF-15 were not useful in identifying the presence of PVD, as defined by hemodynamic measurements obtained by a PAC. In patients with ARDS, higher levels of GDF-15 are significantly associated with poor outcome but not PVD. ..
- Lee S, Kang S, Choi M, Jung S, Ryu M, Chung H, et al. Growth Differentiation Factor 15 Mediates Systemic Glucose Regulatory Action of T-Helper Type 2 Cytokines. Diabetes. 2017;66:2774-2788 pubmed publisher..Recombinant IL-13 induced expression of growth differentiation factor 15 (GDF15) via the Janus kinase-activated STAT6 pathway...
- Emmerson P, Wang F, Du Y, Liu Q, Pickard R, Gonciarz M, et al. The metabolic effects of GDF15 are mediated by the orphan receptor GFRAL. Nat Med. 2017;23:1215-1219 pubmed publisher..4,5,6). Together, our data demonstrate that GFRAL is a receptor for GDF15 that mediates the metabolic effects of GDF15. ..