Genomes and Genes
monocyte chemoattractant proteins
Summary: Chemokines that are chemoattractants for monocytes. These CC chemokines (cysteines adjacent) number at least three including CHEMOKINE CCL2.
- Ialenti A, Grassia G, Gordon P, Maddaluno M, Di Lauro M, Baker A, et al. Inhibition of in-stent stenosis by oral administration of bindarit in porcine coronary arteries. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:2448-54 pubmed publisher..Our results show the efficacy of bindarit in the prevention of porcine in-stent stenosis and support further investigation for clinical application of this compound. ..
- Combadiere C, Ahuja S, Van Damme J, Tiffany H, Gao J, Murphy P. Monocyte chemoattractant protein-3 is a functional ligand for CC chemokine receptors 1 and 2B. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:29671-5 pubmed..These data suggest that monocyte responses to MCP-3 could be mediated by both CC CKR2B and CC CKR1, whereas eosinophil responses to MCP-3 could be mediated by CC CKR1. ..
- Heinrich J, Ryseck R, Macdonald Bravo H, Bravo R. The product of a novel growth factor-activated gene, fic, is a biologically active "C-C"-type cytokine. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:2020-30 pubmed..FIC, muMCP-1, and huMCP-1 competed to the same extent for the binding of [125I]FIC to human monocytes, contrary to huMCP-2, which competed very ineffectively, if at all. ..
- Inouye K, Shi H, Howard J, Daly C, Lord G, Rollins B, et al. Absence of CC chemokine ligand 2 does not limit obesity-associated infiltration of macrophages into adipose tissue. Diabetes. 2007;56:2242-50 pubmed..Importantly, we conclude that CCL2 is not critical for adipose tissue macrophage recruitment. The dominant factor for recruiting macrophages in adipose tissue during obesity therefore remains to be identified. ..
- Dean R, Cox J, Bellac C, Doucet A, Starr A, Overall C. Macrophage-specific metalloelastase (MMP-12) truncates and inactivates ELR+ CXC chemokines and generates CCL2, -7, -8, and -13 antagonists: potential role of the macrophage in terminating polymorphonuclear leukocyte influx. Blood. 2008;112:3455-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that the macrophage, specifically through MMP-12, assists in orchestrating the regulation of acute inflammatory responses by precise proteolysis of ELR(+)CXC and CC chemokines. ..
- Hellier S, Frodsham A, Hennig B, Klenerman P, Knapp S, Ramaley P, et al. Association of genetic variants of the chemokine receptor CCR5 and its ligands, RANTES and MCP-2, with outcome of HCV infection. Hepatology. 2003;38:1468-76 pubmed..018, OR: 2.29, 95% CI: 1.14-4.58). In conclusion, our study suggests a possible role of the polymorphisms CCR5-delta32, RANTES -403, and MCP-2 Q46K in the outcome of HCV infection. ..
- Uguccioni M, Loetscher P, Forssmann U, Dewald B, Li H, Lima S, et al. Monocyte chemotactic protein 4 (MCP-4), a novel structural and functional analogue of MCP-3 and eotaxin. J Exp Med. 1996;183:2379-84 pubmed..This suggests that the 75-residue form with the characteristic NH2 terminus of an MCP is the biologically relevant species. ..
- Gong J, Uguccioni M, Dewald B, Baggiolini M, Clark Lewis I. RANTES and MCP-3 antagonists bind multiple chemokine receptors. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:10521-7 pubmed..The findings suggest the feasibility of design of high affinity multi-specific CC chemokine antagonists. ..
- Chen Y, Huang K, Kuo W, Lo Y, Lee Y, Wang A. Inhibition of glutaminyl cyclase attenuates cell migration modulated by monocyte chemoattractant proteins. Biochem J. 2012;442:403-12 pubmed publisher..The present study examines the role of QC-mediated pGlu formation on MCPs (monocyte chemoattractant proteins) in inflammation. We demonstrated in vitro the pGlu formation on MCPs by QC using MS...
- Vecchi A, Massimiliano L, Ramponi S, Luini W, Bernasconi S, Bonecchi R, et al. Differential responsiveness to constitutive vs. inducible chemokines of immature and mature mouse dendritic cells. J Leukoc Biol. 1999;66:489-94 pubmed..This study shows that selective responsiveness of mature and immature DC to inducible vs. constitutively produced chemokines can contribute to the regulated trafficking of DC. ..
- Wain J, Kirby J, Ali S. Leucocyte chemotaxis: Examination of mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphoinositide 3-kinase activation by Monocyte Chemoattractant Proteins-1, -2, -3 and -4. Clin Exp Immunol. 2002;127:436-44 pubmedb>Monocyte Chemoattractant Proteins (MCPs) form a distinct, structurally-related subclass of CC chemokines. They are major chemoattractants for monocytes and T lymphocytes...
- Huang D, Wang J, Kivisakk P, Rollins B, Ransohoff R. Absence of monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 in mice leads to decreased local macrophage recruitment and antigen-specific T helper cell type 1 immune response in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Exp Med. 2001;193:713-26 pubmed
- Stathopoulos G, Zhu Z, Everhart M, Kalomenidis I, Lawson W, Bilaceroglu S, et al. Nuclear factor-kappaB affects tumor progression in a mouse model of malignant pleural effusion. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2006;34:142-50 pubmed..This reproducible model of MPE can be used to further study the influence of specific host and tumor factors on the pathogenesis of MPE and evaluate new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Mirolo M, Fabbri M, Sironi M, Vecchi A, Guglielmotti A, Mangano G, et al. Impact of the anti-inflammatory agent bindarit on the chemokinome: selective inhibition of the monocyte chemotactic proteins. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2008;19:119-22 pubmed publisher..Here we report on the use of inhibition of synthesis as a potentially viable and selective approach to modify the chemokine system. ..
- Plager D, Leontovich A, Henke S, Davis M, McEvoy M, Sciallis G, et al. Early cutaneous gene transcription changes in adult atopic dermatitis and potential clinical implications. Exp Dermatol. 2007;16:28-36 pubmed..Identification of these genes and pathways will direct future research towards controlling AD. ..
- Lin J, Zhu X, Chade A, Jordan K, Lavi R, Daghini E, et al. Monocyte chemoattractant proteins mediate myocardial microvascular dysfunction in swine renovascular hypertension. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1810-6 pubmed publisherb>Monocyte chemoattractant proteins (MCPs) play an important role in mediating inflammatory processes...
- Blaszczyk J, Coillie E, Proost P, Damme J, Opdenakker G, Bujacz G, et al. Complete crystal structure of monocyte chemotactic protein-2, a CC chemokine that interacts with multiple receptors. Biochemistry. 2000;39:14075-81 pubmed..We have also observed not previously reported extended helical nature of the C terminal region, which covers residues 58-74. ..
- Fridlender Z, Buchlis G, Kapoor V, Cheng G, Sun J, Singhal S, et al. CCL2 blockade augments cancer immunotherapy. Cancer Res. 2010;70:109-18 pubmed publisher..b>Monocyte chemoattractant proteins (such as CCL2) are produced by many tumors and have both direct and indirect immunoinhibitory ..
- Zhang S, Wang X, Zhang L, Yang X, Pan J, Ren G. Characterization of monocyte chemoattractant proteins and CC chemokine receptor 2 expression during atherogenesis in apolipoprotein E-null mice. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2011;18:846-56 pubmedWe aimed to investigate the expression of monocyte chemoattractant proteins (MCPs) and their cognate receptor CC chemokine receptor 2 (CCR2) in aortas of apolipoprotein E-null (apoE(-/-)) mice during atherogenesis as well as the possible ..
- Gong X, Gong W, Kuhns D, Ben Baruch A, Howard O, Wang J. Monocyte chemotactic protein-2 (MCP-2) uses CCR1 and CCR2B as its functional receptors. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:11682-5 pubmed..These results clearly demonstrate that MCP-2, unlike MCP-1, uses both CCR1 as well as CCR2B as its functional receptors, and this accounts for the unique activities of MCP-2. ..
- Proost P, Wuyts A, Van Damme J. Human monocyte chemotactic proteins-2 and -3: structural and functional comparison with MCP-1. J Leukoc Biol. 1996;59:67-74 pubmed..Receptor binding leads to enhanced [Ca2+]i for all chemokines except for MCP-2. ..
- Van Coillie E, Proost P, Van Aelst I, Struyf S, Polfliet M, De Meester I, et al. Functional comparison of two human monocyte chemotactic protein-2 isoforms, role of the amino-terminal pyroglutamic acid and processing by CD26/dipeptidyl peptidase IV. Biochemistry. 1998;37:12672-80 pubmed..These observations indicate that the NH2-terminal pGlu in MCP-2 is necessary for chemotactic activity but also that it protects the protein against degradation by CD26/DPP IV. ..
- Sarafi M, Garcia Zepeda E, MacLean J, Charo I, Luster A. Murine monocyte chemoattractant protein (MCP)-5: a novel CC chemokine that is a structural and functional homologue of human MCP-1. J Exp Med. 1997;185:99-109 pubmed..These data indicate that MCP-5 is a novel and potent monocyte active chemokine that is involved in allergic inflammation and the host response to pathogens. ..
- Tsui P, Das A, Whitaker B, Tornetta M, Stowell N, Kesavan P, et al. Generation, characterization and biological activity of CCL2 (MCP-1/JE) and CCL12 (MCP-5) specific antibodies. Hum Antibodies. 2007;16:117-25 pubmed..When tested in nude mice bearing human PANC-1 pancreatic tumor cells in Matrigel plugs, CCL2 and CCL12 antibodies potently inhibited tumor angiogenesis, indicating that both CCL2 and CCL12 may contribute to tumor angiogenesis. ..
- Chakravorty S, Howie A, Girdlestone J, Gentle D, Savage C. Potential role for monocyte chemotactic protein-4 (MCP-4) in monocyte/macrophage recruitment in acute renal inflammation. J Pathol. 2001;194:239-46 pubmed..These studies suggest an important role for MCP-4 in the recruitment and retention of monocytes/macrophages in renal inflammation. ..
- Nakashima H, Fujimoto M, Asashima N, Watanabe R, Kuwano Y, Yazawa N, et al. Serum chemokine profile in patients with bullous pemphigoid. Br J Dermatol. 2007;156:454-9 pubmed..These observations suggest that an elaborately orchestrated network of chemokines, especially MCP-1 and IP-10, contributes to the pathomechanism of BP. ..
- Murray L, Argentieri R, Farrell F, Bracht M, Sheng H, Whitaker B, et al. Hyper-responsiveness of IPF/UIP fibroblasts: interplay between TGFbeta1, IL-13 and CCL2. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:2174-82 pubmed publisher..Overall this study demonstrates an interplay between TGFbeta1, IL-13 and CCL2 in IPF/UIP, where these three mediators feedback on each other, promoting the fibrotic response. ..
- Modi W, Goedert J, Strathdee S, Buchbinder S, Detels R, Donfield S, et al. MCP-1-MCP-3-Eotaxin gene cluster influences HIV-1 transmission. AIDS. 2003;17:2357-65 pubmed..Since these chemokines do not bind the primary HIV-1 coreceptors CCR5 or CXCR4, the observed influence on transmission may result from activation of the immune system in response to infection rather than receptor blockage. ..
- Meyer Hoffert U, Lezcano Meza D, Bartels J, Montes Vizuet A, Schröder J, Teran L. Th2- and to a lesser extent Th1-type cytokines upregulate the production of both CXC (IL-8 and gro-alpha) and CC (RANTES, eotaxin, eotaxin-2, MCP-3 and MCP-4) chemokines in human airway epithelial cells. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2003;131:264-71 pubmed
- Yanaba K, Yoshizaki A, Muroi E, Hara T, Ogawa F, Shimizu K, et al. CCL13 is a promising diagnostic marker for systemic sclerosis. Br J Dermatol. 2010;162:332-6 pubmed publisher..Serum CCL13 was specifically increased in patients with SSc, but not in patients with SLE, DM or AD or in healthy controls. CCL13 could be a promising serological marker for SSc. ..
- Iwamoto T, Okamoto H, Kobayashi S, Ikari K, Toyama Y, Tomatsu T, et al. A role of monocyte chemoattractant protein-4 (MCP-4)/CCL13 from chondrocytes in rheumatoid arthritis. FEBS J. 2007;274:4904-12 pubmed
- Henningsen J, Pedersen B, Kratchmarova I. Quantitative analysis of the secretion of the MCP family of chemokines by muscle cells. Mol Biosyst. 2011;7:311-21 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the expression of the MCPs in skeletal muscle is also regulated by pro-inflammatory stimuli, indicating a much broader cross talk and interaction between inflammatory-dependent systems than previously anticipated. ..
- Minty A, Chalon P, Guillemot J, Kaghad M, Liauzun P, Magazin M, et al. Molecular cloning of the MCP-3 chemokine gene and regulation of its expression. Eur Cytokine Netw. 1993;4:99-110 pubmed..MCP-1 and MCP-3 mRNAs are thus co-ordinately regulated in monocytes in response to a number of inducing or inhibitory agents, in a manner differing in several respects from that of other monokines such as IL-6. ..
- Corbin M, Pourciau S, Morgan T, Boudreaux M, Peterson K. Ligand up-regulation does not correlate with a role for CCR1 in pathogenesis in a mouse model of non-lymphocyte-mediated neurological disease. J Neurovirol. 2006;12:241-50 pubmed..This suggests that in the absence of inflammation, CCR1 may have a very limited role in neuropathogenesis. ..
- Myers D, Henke P, Bedard P, Wrobleski S, Kaila N, Shaw G, et al. Treatment with an oral small molecule inhibitor of P selectin (PSI-697) decreases vein wall injury in a rat stenosis model of venous thrombosis. J Vasc Surg. 2006;44:625-32 pubmed..These data suggest that both LMWH and PSI-697 inhibit vein wall injury independently of thrombus mass. P-selectin inhibition seemed superior to LMWH in measured parameters of injury and mediator inhibition. ..
- Shaked Y, Cervi D, Neuman M, Chen L, Klement G, Michaud C, et al. The splenic microenvironment is a source of proangiogenesis/inflammatory mediators accelerating the expansion of murine erythroleukemic cells. Blood. 2005;105:4500-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that VEGF-A and MCP-5 are potentially pivotal paracrine mediators occurring within the diseased splenic microenvironment capable of promoting disease acceleration and expansion of erythroleukemic blasts. ..
- Ponath P, Qin S, Ringler D, Clark Lewis I, Wang J, Kassam N, et al. Cloning of the human eosinophil chemoattractant, eotaxin. Expression, receptor binding, and functional properties suggest a mechanism for the selective recruitment of eosinophils. J Clin Invest. 1996;97:604-12 pubmed..Thus eotaxin in humans is a potent and selective eosinophil chemoattractant that is expressed by a variety cell types in certain inflammatory conditions. ..
- Woodworth B, Joseph K, Kaplan A, Schlosser R. Alterations in eotaxin, monocyte chemoattractant protein-4, interleukin-5, and interleukin-13 after systemic steroid treatment for nasal polyps. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;131:585-9 pubmed..Novel approaches to block inflammatory mediators, particularly Th2 chemokines, may lead to better control of nasal polyposis in the future. ..
- Berkhout T, Sarau H, Moores K, White J, Elshourbagy N, Appelbaum E, et al. Cloning, in vitro expression, and functional characterization of a novel human CC chemokine of the monocyte chemotactic protein (MCP) family (MCP-4) that binds and signals through the CC chemokine receptor 2B. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:16404-13 pubmed..However, expression of MCP-4 protein was demonstrated by immunohistochemistry in human atherosclerotic lesion and found to be associated with endothelial cells and macrophages. ..
- Castle P, Phillips T, Hildesheim A, Herrero R, Bratti M, Rodriguez A, et al. Immune profiling of plasma and cervical secretions using recycling immunoaffinity chromatography. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003;12:1449-56 pubmed
- Lambeir A, Proost P, Durinx C, Bal G, Senten K, Augustyns K, et al. Kinetic investigation of chemokine truncation by CD26/dipeptidyl peptidase IV reveals a striking selectivity within the chemokine family. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:29839-45 pubmed..The data not only provide insight into the selectivity of the enzyme for specific chemokines, but they also contribute to the general understanding of CD26/dipeptidyl peptidase IV secondary substrate specificity. ..
- Deruaz M, Bonvin P, Severin I, Johnson Z, Krohn S, Power C, et al. Evasin-4, a tick-derived chemokine-binding protein with broad selectivity can be modified for use in preclinical disease models. FEBS J. 2013;280:4876-87 pubmed publisher..Both the N- and C-terminal fusions were shown to retain binding activity, with the C-terminal fusion showing a modest reduction in potency. ..
- Ponath P, Qin S, Post T, Wang J, Wu L, Gerard N, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of a human eotaxin receptor expressed selectively on eosinophils. J Exp Med. 1996;183:2437-48 pubmed..The restricted expression of CKR-3 on eosinophils and the fidelity of eotaxin binding to CKR-3, provides a potential mechanism for the selective recruitment and migration of eosinophils within tissues. ..
- Wedemeyer J, Lorentz A, Göke M, Meier P, Flemming P, Dahinden C, et al. Enhanced production of monocyte chemotactic protein 3 in inflammatory bowel disease mucosa. Gut. 1999;44:629-35 pubmed..Our data show that MCP-3 protein is present in normal and inflamed intestinal tissue. MCP-3 production is substantially enhanced in areas of active inflammation, suggesting an immunoregulatory role of MCP-3 in intestinal inflammation. ..
- Teran L. CCL chemokines and asthma. Immunol Today. 2000;21:235-42 pubmed..The discovery of chemokines and the demonstration that some members of this cytokine superfamily are implicated in the recruitment of eosinophils offers an opportunity for a novel therapeutic approach in asthma. ..
- Choi E, Jakubzick C, Carpenter K, Kunkel S, Evanoff H, Martinez F, et al. Enhanced monocyte chemoattractant protein-3/CC chemokine ligand-7 in usual interstitial pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;170:508-15 pubmed
- Kim A, Noh Y, Kim K, Jang Y, Choe Y, Lim J. Activated natural killer cell-mediated immunity is required for the inhibition of tumor metastasis by dendritic cell vaccination. Exp Mol Med. 2004;36:428-43 pubmed..The findings of this study would provide important data for the effective design of DC vaccines for cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Ryan A, Spratt J, Britton W, Triccas J. Secretion of functional monocyte chemotactic protein 3 by recombinant Mycobacterium bovis BCG attenuates vaccine virulence and maintains protective efficacy against M. tuberculosis infection. Infect Immun. 2007;75:523-6 pubmed..Therefore, BCG(MCP-3) may be a safer alternative than conventional BCG for vaccination of immunocompromised individuals. ..
- Govaerts C, Blanpain C, Deupi X, Ballet S, Ballesteros J, Wodak S, et al. The TXP motif in the second transmembrane helix of CCR5. A structural determinant of chemokine-induced activation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:13217-25 pubmed..The rank order of impairment of receptor activation is P84A > T82V > T82A > T82C > T82S. This ranking of impairment parallels the bending of the alpha-helix observed in the molecular simulation study. ..
- Hu J, Li G, Wang W, Zhu J, Li Y, Zhou G, et al. Transfection of colorectal cancer cells with chemokine MCP-3 (monocyte chemotactic protein-3) gene retards tumor growth and inhibits tumor metastasis. World J Gastroenterol. 2002;8:1067-72 pubmed..The results suggested that the transfection of chemokine MCP-3 gene could promote the induction of anti-colorectal cancer immunity, but the tumor growth could not be inhibited completely by merely MCP-3 gene transfection. ..
- Gambichler T, Skrygan M, Labanski A, Kolios A, Altmeyer P, Kreuter A. Significantly increased CCL5/RANTES and CCR7 mRNA levels in localized scleroderma. Regul Pept. 2011;170:4-6 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we have shown for the first time a significant increase of mRNA levels of CCR7 and CCL5/RANTES in LS lesions indicating an important pathogenetic role of chemokines in LS. ..
- Jia G, Gonzalo J, Lloyd C, Kremer L, Lu L, Martinez A C, et al. Distinct expression and function of the novel mouse chemokine monocyte chemotactic protein-5 in lung allergic inflammation. J Exp Med. 1996;184:1939-51 pubmed..In contrast to Eotaxin, mRNA for mMCP-5 can be produced by mast cells. From these results, we postulate that mMCP-5 plays a pivotal role during the early stages of allergic lung inflammation. ..
- Secchiero P, Corallini F, di Iasio M, Gonelli A, Barbarotto E, Zauli G. TRAIL counteracts the proadhesive activity of inflammatory cytokines in endothelial cells by down-modulating CCL8 and CXCL10 chemokine expression and release. Blood. 2005;105:3413-9 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that TRAIL might play an important role in modulating leukocyte/endothelial cell adhesion by selectively down-regulating CCL8 and CXCL10 chemokines. ..