Genomes and Genes
Summary: A CC-type chemokine that is a chemoattractant for EOSINOPHILS; MONOCYTES; and LYMPHOCYTES. It is a potent and selective eosinophil chemotaxin that is stored in and released from PLATELETS and activated T-LYMPHOCYTES. Chemokine CCL5 is specific for CCR1 RECEPTORS; CCR3 RECEPTORS; and CCR5 RECEPTORS. The acronym RANTES refers to Regulated on Activation, Normal T Expressed and Secreted.
- Špadijer Mirković C, Peric A, Vukomanović Đurđević B, Vojvodic D. Effects of Fluticasone Furoate Nasal Spray on Parameters of Eosinophilic Inflammation in Patients With Nasal Polyposis and Perennial Allergic Rhinitis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:573-580 pubmed publisher..001) in all 3 groups of patients. The levels of RANTES and eotaxin-2 in nasal fluid could be reliable markers for assessing corticosteroid administration outcomes. ..
- Oka T, Sugaya M, Takahashi N, Takahashi T, Shibata S, Miyagaki T, et al. CXCL17 Attenuates Imiquimod-Induced Psoriasis-like Skin Inflammation by Recruiting Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells and Regulatory T Cells. J Immunol. 2017;198:3897-3908 pubmed publisher..Taken together, CXCL17 attenuates IMQ-induced psoriasis-like skin inflammation by recruiting MDSCs and Tregs, which may be important for regulating excessive inflammation in psoriasis skin. ..
- Uguccioni M, Mackay C, Ochensberger B, Loetscher P, Rhis S, LaRosa G, et al. High expression of the chemokine receptor CCR3 in human blood basophils. Role in activation by eotaxin, MCP-4, and other chemokines. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:1137-43 pubmed
- Thwaites R, Ito K, Chingono J, COATES M, Jarvis H, Tunstall T, et al. Nasosorption as a Minimally Invasive Sampling Procedure: Mucosal Viral Load and Inflammation in Primary RSV Bronchiolitis. J Infect Dis. 2017;215:1240-1244 pubmed publisher..05), furthermore CCL5 and IL-10 correlated with RSV load (P < .05). Nasosorption allowed measurement of RSV load and the mucosal inflammatory response in infants. ..
- Wang C, Yeo S, Haas M, Guan J. Autophagy gene FIP200 in neural progenitors non-cell autonomously controls differentiation by regulating microglia. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2581-2596 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that autophagy plays a crucial role in regulating neurogenesis and restricting local immune response in postnatal NSCs through non-cell autonomous mechanisms. ..
- Zhang H, Shi J, Hachet M, Xue C, Bauer R, Jiang H, et al. CRISPR/Cas9-Mediated Gene Editing in Human iPSC-Derived Macrophage Reveals Lysosomal Acid Lipase Function in Human Macrophages-Brief Report. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:2156-2160 pubmed publisher..CRISPR/Cas9 and IPSDM provide important tools to study human macrophage biology and more broadly for future studies of disease-associated LIPA genetic variation in human macrophages. ..
- Johansen C, Rittig A, Mose M, Bertelsen T, Weimar I, Nielsen J, et al. STAT2 is involved in the pathogenesis of psoriasis by promoting CXCL11 and CCL5 production by keratinocytes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176994 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that STAT2 plays a role in the psoriasis pathogenesis by regulating the expression of CXCL11 and CCL5, and thereby attracting IFN?-producing immune cells to the skin. ..
- Jang Y, Park B, Lee H, Park H, Koo H, Kim B, et al. Sinigrin attenuates the progression of atherosclerosis in ApoE-/- mice fed a high-cholesterol diet potentially by inhibiting VCAM-1 expression. Chem Biol Interact. 2017;272:28-36 pubmed publisher..Overall, sinigrin has the potential to be used in reducing the risks of atherosclerosis. ..
- Barbie T, Alexe G, Aref A, Li S, Zhu Z, Zhang X, et al. Targeting an IKBKE cytokine network impairs triple-negative breast cancer growth. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:5411-23 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal that IKBKE-associated cytokine signaling promotes tumorigenicity of immune-driven TNBC and identify a potential therapeutic strategy using clinically available compounds. ..
- Fernandez García C, Tarin C, Roldan Montero R, Martinez Lopez D, Torres Fonseca M, Lindhot J, et al. Increased galectin-3 levels are associated with abdominal aortic aneurysm progression and inhibition of galectin-3 decreases elastase-induced AAA development. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:2707-2719 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, increased galectin-3 levels are associated with AAA progression, while galectin-3 inhibition decreased experimental AAA development. Our data suggest the potential role of galectin-3 as a therapeutic target in AAA...
- Bates M, Green V, Bertics P. ERK1 and ERK2 activation by chemotactic factors in human eosinophils is interleukin 5-dependent and contributes to leukotriene C(4) biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:10968-75 pubmed
- Levitz R, Gao Y, Dozmorov I, Song R, Wakeland E, Kahn J. Distinct patterns of innate immune activation by clinical isolates of respiratory syncytial virus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184318 pubmed publisher..Identification of the genetic elements responsible for these differences may lead to novel approaches to antiviral agents and vaccines. ..
- Huang S, Feng C, Chen L, Huang Z, Zhou X, Li B, et al. Molecular Mechanisms of Mild and Severe Pneumonia: Insights from RNA Sequencing. Med Sci Monit. 2017;23:1662-1673 pubmed..CONCLUSIONS S100A9 and S100A12 may have a role in the pathogenesis of pneumonia: S100A9 and CXCL1 may contribute solely in mild pneumonia, and CCL5 and CXCL11 may contribute in severe pneumonia. ..
- Uehara J, Ohkuri T, Kosaka A, Ishibashi K, Hirata Y, Ohara K, et al. Intratumoral injection of IFN-? induces chemokine production in melanoma and augments the therapeutic efficacy of anti-PD-L1 mAb. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:521-527 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that IFN-? induces the expression of CCL5 and CXCR3 ligands in melanoma, which could play a role in T-cell recruitment, and enhances the efficacy of anti-PD-L1 mAb treatment in a CD8-dependent manner. ..
- Dieu M, Vanbervliet B, Vicari A, Bridon J, Oldham E, Ait Yahia S, et al. Selective recruitment of immature and mature dendritic cells by distinct chemokines expressed in different anatomic sites. J Exp Med. 1998;188:373-86 pubmed
- Cross A, Woodroofe M. Chemokines induce migration and changes in actin polymerization in adult rat brain microglia and a human fetal microglial cell line in vitro. J Neurosci Res. 1999;55:17-23 pubmed..These chemokines also induced a reorganization of the actin cytoskeleton of the cells. This study indicates that chemokines play an important role in the recruitment of microglia to areas of central nervous system inflammation. ..
- Lin C, Sewell A, Gao G, Whelan K, Phillips R, Austyn J. Macrophage-tropic HIV induces and exploits dendritic cell chemotaxis. J Exp Med. 2000;192:587-94 pubmed..Consequently, recruitment of DC by HIV-1 could combine with the ability of DC-SIGN to capture and transmit the virus to T cells, and so facilitate dissemination of virus within an infected individual. ..
- Simpson J, Newcombe J, Cuzner M, Woodroofe M. Expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and other beta-chemokines by resident glia and inflammatory cells in multiple sclerosis lesions. J Neuroimmunol. 1998;84:238-49 pubmed..Glial cells may be stimulated to produce chemokines and continue the local inflammatory response by forming chemotactic gradients to attract T cells and mononuclear phagocytes from the circulation and surrounding tissue. ..
- McCoy S, Reed T, Berthier C, Tsou P, Liu J, Gudjonsson J, et al. Scleroderma keratinocytes promote fibroblast activation independent of transforming growth factor beta. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1970-1981 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms by which fibroblasts are induced to become pro-fibrotic remain unclear. Thus, we examined the ability of SSc keratinocytes to promote fibroblast activation and the source of this effect...
- Reins R, Courson J, Lema C, Redfern R. MyD88 contribution to ocular surface homeostasis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182153 pubmed publisher..This work furthers our understanding of the importance of TLR signaling in corneal defense and immune homeostasis, showing that a lack of MyD88 may compromise the baseline innate response to insult. ..
- Aswad M, Assi S, Schif Zuck S, Ariel A. CCL5 Promotes Resolution-Phase Macrophage Reprogramming in Concert with the Atypical Chemokine Receptor D6 and Apoptotic Polymorphonuclear Cells. J Immunol. 2017;199:1393-1404 pubmed publisher..In this study, we found that the inflammatory chemokine CCL5 is mostly retained (75%) during the resolution of zymosan A peritonitis in mice...
- Nenasheva T, Nikolaev A, Diykanov D, Sukhanova A, Tcyganov E, Panteleev A, et al. The introduction of mesenchymal stromal cells induces different immunological responses in the lungs of healthy and M. tuberculosis infected mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178983 pubmed publisher..The findings emphasize the importance of the evaluation of MSC effects locally at the site of their predominant post-injection localization and question MSC usefulness as anti-TB treatment. ..
- Vicenzi E, Alfano M, Ghezzi S, Gatti A, Veglia F, Lazzarin A, et al. Divergent regulation of HIV-1 replication in PBMC of infected individuals by CC chemokines: suppression by RANTES, MIP-1alpha, and MCP-3, and enhancement by MCP-1. J Leukoc Biol. 2000;68:405-12 pubmed..Altogether these observations suggest that MCP-1 may represent an important factor enhancing HIV spreading, particularly in anatomical sites, such as the brain, where infection of macrophages and microglial cells plays a dominant role. ..
- Song A, Nikolcheva T, Krensky A. Transcriptional regulation of RANTES expression in T lymphocytes. Immunol Rev. 2000;177:236-45 pubmed..Like RANTES, RFLAT-1 expression is "late" after T-cell activation. But, unlike RANTES, regulation of RFLAT-1 expression appears to be translational rather than transcriptional. ..
- Yamada H, Chihara J, Matsukura M, Yasuba H, Yudate T, Tezuka T. Elevated plasma RANTES levels in patients with atopic dermatitis. J Clin Lab Immunol. 1996;48:87-91 pubmed..These findings suggest that RANTES may play a role in the recruitment and activation of eosinophils and T cells in atopic dermatitis. ..
- Albert V, Subramanian A, Agrawal D, Bhoi S, Pallavi P, Mukhopadhayay A. RANTES levels in peripheral blood, CSF and contused brain tissue as a marker for outcome in traumatic brain injury (TBI) patients. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10:139 pubmed publisher..Another interesting finding was the significant upregulated in the expression of RANTES in plasma, compared to CSF and contused brain tissue following severe TBI. ..
- Baba M, Nishimura O, Kanzaki N, Okamoto M, Sawada H, Iizawa Y, et al. A small-molecule, nonpeptide CCR5 antagonist with highly potent and selective anti-HIV-1 activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:5698-703 pubmed..6-3.7 nM in peripheral blood mononuclear cells, though it was totally inactive against T-cell line-tropic (CXCR4-using or X4) HIV-1. ..
- Lechner J, Huesker K, von Baehr V. Impact of Rantes from jawbone on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2017;31:321-327 pubmed..Constituting a hidden source of ?silent inflammation? FDOJ may represent a hitherto unknown cause for the development of CFS. ..
- Sørensen T, Tani M, Jensen J, Pierce V, Lucchinetti C, Folcik V, et al. Expression of specific chemokines and chemokine receptors in the central nervous system of multiple sclerosis patients. J Clin Invest. 1999;103:807-15 pubmed..Our results imply pathogenic roles for specific chemokine-chemokine receptor interactions in MS and suggest new molecular targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Gao D, Cazares L, Fish E. CCL5-CCR5 interactions modulate metabolic events during tumor onset to promote tumorigenesis. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:834 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that CCL5-CCR5 interactions in the tumor microenvironment modulate metabolic events during tumor onset to promote tumorigenesis. ..