Genomes and Genes
small cytoplasmic rna
Summary: Small RNAs found in the cytoplasm usually complexed with proteins in scRNPs (RIBONUCLEOPROTEINS, SMALL CYTOPLASMIC).
- Kondrashov A, Kiefmann M, Ebnet K, Khanam T, Muddashetty R, BROSIUS J. Inhibitory effect of naked neural BC1 RNA or BC200 RNA on eukaryotic in vitro translation systems is reversed by poly(A)-binding protein (PABP). J Mol Biol. 2005;353:88-103 pubmed
- Chen X, Wolin S. The Ro 60 kDa autoantigen: insights into cellular function and role in autoimmunity. J Mol Med (Berl). 2004;82:232-9 pubmed..In this review, we summarize recent progress towards understanding the role of the Ro 60 kDa protein and discuss whether the cellular function of Ro could be related to certain manifestations of lupus in patients. ..
- Skryabin B, Sukonina V, Jordan U, Lewejohann L, Sachser N, Muslimov I, et al. Neuronal untranslated BC1 RNA: targeted gene elimination in mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6435-41 pubmed..Behavioral analyses, to be reported separately, indicate that the lack of BC1 RNA appears to reduce exploratory activity. ..
- Rose R, Pohlschr der M. In vivo analysis of an essential archaeal signal recognition particle in its native host. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:3260-7 pubmed
- Askanase A, Friedman D, Copel J, Dische M, Dubin A, Starc T, et al. Spectrum and progression of conduction abnormalities in infants born to mothers with anti-SSA/Ro-SSB/La antibodies. Lupus. 2002;11:145-51 pubmed..Since subsequent progression of less-advanced degrees of block can occur, an EKG should be performed on all infants born to mothers with anti-SSA/Ro-SSB/La antibodies. ..
- Fabini G, Raijmakers R, Hayer S, Fouraux M, Pruijn G, Steiner G. The heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins I and K interact with a subset of the ro ribonucleoprotein-associated Y RNAs in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:20711-8 pubmed..Given that functions related to translation regulation have been assigned to both proteins and also to La, our findings may provide novel clues toward understanding the role of Y RNAs and their respective RNP complexes. ..
- Maraia R, Sakulich A, Brinkmann E, Green E. Gene encoding human Ro-associated autoantigen Y5 RNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:3552-9 pubmed..Consistent with the proposal of O'Brien and Harley [O'Brian,C.A. and Wolin,S.L. (1992) Gene 116, 285-289], analysis of flanking sequences suggest that the hY5 RNA gene may have originated as a retroposon. ..
- Bovia F, Wolff N, Ryser S, Strub K. The SRP9/14 subunit of the human signal recognition particle binds to a variety of Alu-like RNAs and with higher affinity than its mouse homolog. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997;25:318-26 pubmed
- Iakhiaeva E, Wower J, Wower I, Zwieb C. The 5e motif of eukaryotic signal recognition particle RNA contains a conserved adenosine for the binding of SRP72. RNA. 2008;14:1143-53 pubmed publisher..The human 5ef RNA was remarkably resistant to ribonucleolytic attack suggesting that the 240-AUC-242 "loop" and its surrounding nucleotides form a peculiar compact structure recognized only by SRP72. ..
- Nakamura K, Yahagi S, Yamazaki T, Yamane K. Bacillus subtilis histone-like protein, HBsu, is an integral component of a SRP-like particle that can bind the Alu domain of small cytoplasmic RNA. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:13569-76 pubmedb>Small cytoplasmic RNA (scRNA) is metabolically stable and abundant in Bacillus subtilis cells. Consisting of 271 nucleotides, it is structurally homologous to mammalian signal recognition particle RNA. In contrast to 4...
- Diener J, Wilson C. Role of SRP19 in assembly of the Archaeoglobus fulgidus signal recognition particle. Biochemistry. 2000;39:12862-74 pubmed
- Lewejohann L, Skryabin B, Sachser N, Prehn C, Heiduschka P, Thanos S, et al. Role of a neuronal small non-messenger RNA: behavioural alterations in BC1 RNA-deleted mice. Behav Brain Res. 2004;154:273-89 pubmed..In the outdoor pen, the survival rates of BC1-depleted mice were lower than in controls. Thus, we conclude that the neuron-specific non-messenger BC1 RNA contributes to the aptive modulation of behaviour. ..
- Sauer Eriksson A, Hainzl T. S-domain assembly of the signal recognition particle. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2003;13:64-70 pubmed
- Oguro A, Kakeshita H, Nakamura K, Yamane K, Wang W, Bechhofer D. Bacillus subtilis RNase III cleaves both 5'- and 3'-sites of the small cytoplasmic RNA precursor. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:19542-7 pubmedBacillus subtilis small cytoplasmic RNA (scRNA) is a member of the signal recognition particle RNA family. It is transcribed as a 354-nucleotide primary transcript and processed to a 271-nucleotide mature scRNA...
- Cristofanilli M, Iacoangeli A, Muslimov I, Tiedge H. Neuronal BC1 RNA: microtubule-dependent dendritic delivery. J Mol Biol. 2006;356:1118-23 pubmed..At the same time, a role for actin filaments, while unlikely for long-range BC1 delivery, is not ruled out for short-range local translocation and anchoring at dendritic destination sites. ..
- Onafuwa Nuga A, Telesnitsky A, King S. 7SL RNA, but not the 54-kd signal recognition particle protein, is an abundant component of both infectious HIV-1 and minimal virus-like particles. RNA. 2006;12:542-6 pubmed..Comparing 7SL:actin mRNA ratios in virions and cells revealed that 7SL RNA appears selectively enriched in virions. ..
- Salomonsson S, Dorner T, Theander E, Bremme K, Larsson P, Wahren Herlenius M. A serologic marker for fetal risk of congenital heart block. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:1233-41 pubmed..Close monitoring of mothers at high risk would enable early detection of a block that is still developing and allow early treatment to combat more serious complications. ..
- Fouraux M, Bouvet P, Verkaart S, van Venrooij W, Pruijn G. Nucleolin associates with a subset of the human Ro ribonucleoprotein complexes. J Mol Biol. 2002;320:475-88 pubmedRo RNPs are evolutionarily conserved, small cytoplasmic RNA-protein complexes with an unknown function. In human cells, Ro RNPs consist of one of the four hY RNAs and two core proteins: Ro60 and La...
- Wahren Herlenius M, Muller S, Isenberg D. Analysis of B-cell epitopes of the Ro/SS-A autoantigen. Immunol Today. 1999;20:234-40 pubmed..Here, we analyse the results of epitope mapping studies of Ro60 and Ro52 autoantigens and focus on the major findings to date. ..
- Muslimov I, Lin Y, Heller M, BROSIUS J, Zakeri Z, Tiedge H. A small RNA in testis and brain: implications for male germ cell development. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:1243-50 pubmed..At the same time, the identification of BC1 RNA in germ cells provides essential support for the hypothesis that repetitive ID elements in rodent genomes arose from the BC1 RNA gene through retroposition. ..
- Brucato A, Frassi M, Franceschini F, Cimaz R, Faden D, Pisoni M, et al. Risk of congenital complete heart block in newborns of mothers with anti-Ro/SSA antibodies detected by counterimmunoelectrophoresis: a prospective study of 100 women. Arthritis Rheum. 2001;44:1832-5 pubmed..Additional electrocardiographic abnormalities such as sinus bradycardia and prolongation of the QT interval may be present in their children. ..
- Gendron M, Roberge D, Boire G. Heterogeneity of human Ro ribonucleoproteins (RNPS): nuclear retention of Ro RNPS containing the human hY5 RNA in human and mouse cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2001;125:162-8 pubmed..In conclusion, we suggest that the unique localization and interactions of primate-specific Ro(hY5) RNPs reflect functions that are distinct from the predicted cytoplasmic function(s) of more conserved Ro RNPs. ..
- Rozhdestvensky T, Kopylov A, Brosius J, Huttenhofer A. Neuronal BC1 RNA structure: evolutionary conversion of a tRNA(Ala) domain into an extended stem-loop structure. RNA. 2001;7:722-30 pubmed..The three distinct structural domains reflect evolutionary legacies of BC1 RNA. ..
- Cao X, Yeo G, Muotri A, Kuwabara T, Gage F. Noncoding RNAs in the mammalian central nervous system. Annu Rev Neurosci. 2006;29:77-103 pubmed..Finally, we speculate why ncRNAs are well adapted to improving organism-environment interactions. ..
- Hainzl T, Huang S, Sauer Eriksson A. Interaction of signal-recognition particle 54 GTPase domain and signal-recognition particle RNA in the free signal-recognition particle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14911-6 pubmed publisher..The association of both the N and G domains with SRP RNA in free SRP provides further structural evidence for the pivotal role of SRP RNA in the regulation of the SRP54 activity...
- Muslimov I, Iacoangeli A, BROSIUS J, Tiedge H. Spatial codes in dendritic BC1 RNA. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:427-39 pubmed..Our work suggests that a BC1 KT motif encodes distal targeting via the A2 pathway and that architectural RNA elements, such as KT motifs, may function as spatial codes in neural cells. ..
- Wang H, Iacoangeli A, Lin D, Williams K, Denman R, Hellen C, et al. Dendritic BC1 RNA in translational control mechanisms. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:811-21 pubmed..Thus, BC1 RNA modulates translation-dependent processes in neurons and germs cells by directly interacting with translation initiation factors. ..
- Wang T, Tian C, Zhang W, Sarkis P, Yu X. Interaction with 7SL RNA but not with HIV-1 genomic RNA or P bodies is required for APOBEC3F virion packaging. J Mol Biol. 2008;375:1098-112 pubmed..Thus, in addition to its well-known function in SRPs, 7SL RNA, which is encapsidated into diverse retroviruses, also participates in the innate antiviral function of host cytidine deaminases. ..
- Onafuwa Nuga A, King S, Telesnitsky A. Nonrandom packaging of host RNAs in moloney murine leukemia virus. J Virol. 2005;79:13528-37 pubmed..These data demonstrate that certain host RNAs are nearly as enriched in virions as genomic RNA and suggest that Psi- mRNAs and some other host RNAs may be specifically excluded from assembly sites...
- Yao S, Blaustein J, Bechhofer D. Processing of Bacillus subtilis small cytoplasmic RNA: evidence for an additional endonuclease cleavage site. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:4464-73 pubmedb>Small cytoplasmic RNA (scRNA) of Bacillus subtilis is the RNA component of the signal recognition particle. scRNA is transcribed as a 354-nt precursor, which is processed to the mature 271-nt scRNA...
- Perreault J, Perreault J, Boire G. Ro-associated Y RNAs in metazoans: evolution and diversification. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:1678-89 pubmed..Further evolutionary insight was obtained from the analysis of several thousand Y retropseudogenes among various species. Taken together, these results confirm the rich and diversified evolution history of Y RNAs. ..
- Bach D, Peddi S, Mangeat B, Lakkaraju A, Strub K, Trono D. Characterization of APOBEC3G binding to 7SL RNA. Retrovirology. 2008;5:54 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that 7SL RNA is not an essential mediator of the virion packaging of these antiviral cytidine deaminases. ..
- Zalfa F, Giorgi M, Primerano B, Moro A, Di Penta A, Reis S, et al. The fragile X syndrome protein FMRP associates with BC1 RNA and regulates the translation of specific mRNAs at synapses. Cell. 2003;112:317-27 pubmed..Thus, when FMRP is not present, loss of translational repression of specific mRNAs at synapses could result in synaptic dysfunction phenotype of Fragile X patients. ..
- Muslimov I, Nimmrich V, Hernandez A, Tcherepanov A, Sacktor T, Tiedge H. Dendritic transport and localization of protein kinase Mzeta mRNA: implications for molecular memory consolidation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:52613-22 pubmed..Dendritic localization of PKMzeta mRNA provides a molecular basis for the functional integration of synaptic signal transduction and translational control pathways. ..
- Maraia R, Sasaki Tozawa N, Driscoll C, Green E, Darlington G. The human Y4 small cytoplasmic RNA gene is controlled by upstream elements and resides on chromosome 7 with all other hY scRNA genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:3045-52 pubmed..SCHs and chromosome 7-enriched YACs were used to demonstrate that all four hY RNA genes reside on human chromosome 7. ..
- Wang H, Iacoangeli A, Popp S, Muslimov I, Imataka H, Sonenberg N, et al. Dendritic BC1 RNA: functional role in regulation of translation initiation. J Neurosci. 2002;22:10232-41 pubmed..The results suggest a functional role of BC1 RNA as a mediator of translational control in local protein synthesis in nerve cells. ..
- Clancy R, Askanase A, Kapur R, Chiopelas E, Azar N, Miranda Carus M, et al. Transdifferentiation of cardiac fibroblasts, a fetal factor in anti-SSA/Ro-SSB/La antibody-mediated congenital heart block. J Immunol. 2002;169:2156-63 pubmed..These data suggest that transdifferentiation of cardiac fibroblasts to a scarring phenotype is a pathologic process initiated by maternal Abs. ..
- Barry T, Kelly M, Glynn B, Peden J. Molecular cloning and phylogenetic analysis of the small cytoplasmic RNA from Listeria monocytogenes. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1999;173:47-53 pubmedA molecular cloning strategy has been designed to isolate the gene that encodes the small cytoplasmic RNA (scRNA) component of bacterial signal recognition particles...
- Chen X, Quinn A, Wolin S. Ro ribonucleoproteins contribute to the resistance of Deinococcus radiodurans to ultraviolet irradiation. Genes Dev. 2000;14:777-82 pubmed..One of these RNAs resembles a Y RNA. These results suggest that Ro RNPs could similarly contribute to the recovery of higher cells following UV irradiation...
- Fabini G, Rutjes S, Zimmermann C, Pruijn G, Steiner G. Analysis of the molecular composition of Ro ribonucleoprotein complexes. Identification of novel Y RNA-binding proteins. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:2778-89 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest the existence of further subpopulations of Ro RNPs or Y RNPs, consistent with the heterogeneous characteristics observed for these particles in the biochemical fractionation experiments. ..
- Buyon J, Clancy R. Neonatal lupus syndromes. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2003;15:535-41 pubmed..To further efforts both at the bench and bedside, national research registries established in the United States and Canada are critical. ..
- Labbe J, Hekimi S, Rokeach L. Assessing the function of the Ro ribonucleoprotein complex using Caenorhabditis elegans as a biological tool. Biochem Cell Biol. 1999;77:349-54 pubmed..Here, we review the phenotypic analysis of C. elegans rop-l(-) mutants and integrate these results into a model for the function of the Ro RNP particle. ..
- Escamilla S, Pettersen M. Transient heart block in a neonate associated with previously undiagnosed maternal anti-Ro/SSA and anti-La/SSB antibodies. Pediatr Cardiol. 2007;28:221-3 pubmed..Congenital heart block associated with these maternal antibodies is well documented in the literature; however, this is the only reported case that documents a transient nature of the complete heart block. ..
- Airo P, Scarsi M, Brucato A, Benicchi T, Malacarne F, Cavazzana I, et al. Characterization of T-cell population in children with prolonged fetal exposure to dexamethasone for anti-Ro/SS-A antibodies associated congenital heart block. Lupus. 2006;15:553-61 pubmed
- Tzioufas A, Wassmuth R, Dafni U, Guialis A, Haga H, Isenberg D, et al. Clinical, immunological, and immunogenetic aspects of autoantibody production against Ro/SSA, La/SSB and their linear epitopes in primary Sjögren's syndrome (pSS): a European multicentre study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2002;61:398-404 pubmed
- Deshmukh U, Kannapell C, Fu S. Immune responses to small nuclear ribonucleoproteins: antigen-dependent distinct B cell epitope spreading patterns in mice immunized with recombinant polypeptides of small nuclear ribonucleoproteins. J Immunol. 2002;168:5326-32 pubmed..These data have significant implications for the mechanisms of autoantibody diversification in systemic lupus erythematosus. ..
- Douchin V, Bohn C, Bouloc P. Down-regulation of porins by a small RNA bypasses the essentiality of the regulated intramembrane proteolysis protease RseP in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12253-9 pubmed
- Roy G, Mercure S, Beuvon F, Perreault J. Characterization of stable RNAs from the resected intestinal tissues of individuals with either Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. Biochem Cell Biol. 1997;75:789-94 pubmed..The potential cellular mechanisms producing these RNAs and their involvement in inflammatory bowel disease are discussed. ..
- Pourmand N, Pettersson I. The Zn2+ binding domain of the human Ro 52 kDa protein is a target for conformation-dependent autoantibodies. J Autoimmun. 1998;11:11-7 pubmed..The antigenicity is dramatically increased by the same reducing conditions that promote Zn2+ binding. This is in contrast to the previously described immunodominant Ro 52 kDa domain. ..
- Hajeer A, Worthington J, Davies E, Hillarby M, Poulton K, Ollier W. TNF microsatellite a2, b3 and d2 alleles are associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. Tissue Antigens. 1997;49:222-7 pubmed..These data suggest that TNF microsatellite alleles are not independent of HLA associations in SLE and may be important in the expression of certain clinical features in SLE. ..
- Chien J, Lin C. Autoantibodies to dsDNA, Ro/SSA, and La/SSB in systemic lupus erythematosus. Adv Clin Chem. 2003;37:129-72 pubmed
- Reksten T, Jonsson M, Szyszko E, Brun J, Jonsson R, Brokstad K. Cytokine and autoantibody profiling related to histopathological features in primary Sjogren's syndrome. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2009;48:1102-6 pubmed publisher..Differences in cytokine levels may be utilized when sub-grouping the SS patients into disease phases and may consequently have implications for treatment. ..