Genomes and Genes
Summary: Deoxyribonucleic acid that makes up the genetic material of helminths.
- Denver D, Dolan P, Wilhelm L, Sung W, Lucas Lledó J, Howe D, et al. A genome-wide view of Caenorhabditis elegans base-substitution mutation processes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16310-4 pubmed publisher..elegans and many other animal species; this observation challenges the assumption that natural patterns of molecular variation in noncoding regions of the nuclear genome accurately reflect underlying mutation processes. ..
- Lier T, Johansen M, Hjelmevoll S, Vennervald B, Simonsen G. Real-time PCR for detection of low intensity Schistosoma japonicum infections in a pig model. Acta Trop. 2008;105:74-80 pubmed..Real-time PCR is less labour intensive than most microscopy methods, but has a higher material cost per sample. ..
- Gasser R, Cantacessi C, Loukas A. DNA technological progress toward advanced diagnostic tools to support human hookworm control. Biotechnol Adv. 2008;26:35-45 pubmed..This progress provides a foundation for the rapid development of practical, highly sensitive and specific diagnostic and analytical tools to be used in improved hookworm prevention and control programmes. ..
- Fitzpatrick J, Hoffmann K. Dioecious Schistosoma mansoni express divergent gene repertoires regulated by pairing. Int J Parasitol. 2006;36:1081-9 pubmed
- Miranda R, Tennessen J, Blouin M, Rabelo E. Mitochondrial DNA variation of the dog hookworm Ancylostoma caninum in Brazilian populations. Vet Parasitol. 2008;151:61-7 pubmed..This study contributes to the knowledge of genetic structure and diversity of hookworms, which in turn will be useful in developing methods for their control...
- Bockarie M. Molecular xenomonitoring of lymphatic filariasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;77:591-2 pubmed
- Muzulin P, Kamenetzky L, Gutierrez A, Guarnera E, Rosenzvit M. Echinococcus granulosus antigen B gene family: further studies of strain polymorphism at the genomic and transcriptional levels. Exp Parasitol. 2008;118:156-64 pubmed..Interestingly, AgB2 transcripts that were probably processed by an aberrant splicing mechanism leading to a non-functional B2 protein were found in G7 strain. ..
- Moser J, Carbone I, Arasu P, Gibson G. Impact of population structure on genetic diversity of a potential vaccine target in the canine hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum). J Parasitol. 2007;93:796-805 pubmed..3-kilobase stretch of sequence. Evidence for gene flow among geographically distinct samples suggests that the mobility of hosts of A. caninum is an important contributing factor to the population structure of the parasite. ..
- Attwood S, Fatih F, Mondal M, Alim M, Fadjar S, Rajapakse R, et al. A DNA sequence-based study of the Schistosoma indicum (Trematoda: Digenea) group: population phylogeny, taxonomy and historical biogeography. Parasitology. 2007;134:2009-20 pubmed..Estimated divergence times for these taxa were shown to be related to Pleistocene changes in sea level and the radiation of definitive host groups. A revised phylogeographical model is proposed in the light of these findings. ..
- Johnson S, Tan F, McCullough H, Riordan D, Fire A. Flexibility and constraint in the nucleosome core landscape of Caenorhabditis elegans chromatin. Genome Res. 2006;16:1505-16 pubmed..elegans, this analysis provides a reference from which to begin an investigation of relationships between the nucleosomal pattern, chromosomal architecture, and lineage-based gene activity on a genome-wide scale. ..
- Lier T, Simonsen G, Haaheim H, Hjelmevoll S, Vennervald B, Johansen M. Novel real-time PCr for detection of Schistosoma japonicum in stool. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2006;37:257-64 pubmed..We conclude that this novel real-time PCR, in combination with either ROSE or QIAamp DNA Stool Mini Kit extraction, is a sensitive and specific tool for diagnosing S. japonicum in human stool samples. ..
- Nakao M, McManus D, Schantz P, Craig P, Ito A. A molecular phylogeny of the genus Echinococcus inferred from complete mitochondrial genomes. Parasitology. 2007;134:713-22 pubmed..Host-parasite co-evolution comparisons suggest that the ancestral homeland of Echinococcus was North America or Asia, depending on whether the ancestral definitive hosts were canids or felids...
- Gomes A, Melo F, Werkhauser R, Abath F. Development of a real time polymerase chain reaction for quantitation of Schistosoma mansoni DNA. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2006;101 Suppl 1:133-6 pubmed..Thus, these PCR protocols have potential to be used as tools for monitoring of schistosome transmission and quantitative diagnosis of human infection. ..
- Reddien P, Andersen E, Huang M, Horvitz H. DPL-1 DP, LIN-35 Rb and EFL-1 E2F act with the MCD-1 zinc-finger protein to promote programmed cell death in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2007;175:1719-33 pubmed..We propose that the DPL-1 DP, MCD-1 zinc finger, EFL-1 E2F, LIN-35 Rb, LIN-37 Mip40, and LIN-52 dLin52 proteins act together in transcriptional regulation to promote programmed cell death. ..
- MacMillan K, Blok V, Young I, Crawford J, Wilson M. Quantification of the slug parasitic nematode Phasmarhabditis hermaphrodita from soil samples using real time qPCR. Int J Parasitol. 2006;36:1453-61 pubmed..The technique could be modified for detection and quantification of all soil borne parasitic nematodes. ..
- Peng W, Yuan K, Hu M, Gasser R. Recent insights into the epidemiology and genetics of Ascaris in China using molecular tools. Parasitology. 2007;134:325-30 pubmed
- Parvathi A, Sanath Kumar H, Kenchanna Prakasha B, Lu J, Xu X, Hu W, et al. Clonorchis sinensis: development and evaluation of a nested polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay. Exp Parasitol. 2007;115:291-5 pubmed..The novel PCR method described here will be useful for the quarantine of fishery products and evaluation of transmission status of clonorchiasis in the endemic areas...
- Fischer P, Erickson S, Fischer K, Fuchs J, Rao R, Christensen B, et al. Persistence of Brugia malayi DNA in vector and non-vector mosquitoes: implications for xenomonitoring and transmission monitoring of lymphatic filariasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;76:502-7 pubmed
- Liau W, Gonzalez Serricchio A, Deshommes C, Chin K, LaMunyon C. A persistent mitochondrial deletion reduces fitness and sperm performance in heteroplasmic populations of C. elegans. BMC Genet. 2007;8:8 pubmed..These effects should lead to the rapid extinction of the deleted chromosome, but it persists indefinitely. We discuss both the implications of this phenomenon and the possible causes of a shortened lifespan for uaDf5 mutant worms. ..
- Abbasi I, King C, Sturrock R, Kariuki C, Muchiri E, Hamburger J. Differentiation of Schistosoma haematobium from related schistosomes by PCR amplifying an inter-repeat sequence. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;76:950-5 pubmed..haematobium transmission after control interventions, this differentiation tool will enable accurate monitoring of infected snails in areas where S. haematobium is sympatric with the most prevalent other schistosome species...
- Williams D, Sayed A, Bernier J, Birkeland S, Cipriano M, Papa A, et al. Profiling Schistosoma mansoni development using serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE). Exp Parasitol. 2007;117:246-58 pubmed..A number of novel, differentially expressed genes have been identified, both within and between the different developmental stages found in the mammalian and snail hosts. ..
- Farid H, Morsy Z, Helmy H, Ramzy R, El Setouhy M, Weil G. A critical appraisal of molecular xenomonitoring as a tool for assessing progress toward elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;77:593-600 pubmed..We conclude that MX is a powerful tool for monitoring the impact of MDA on filariasis endemicity and transmission. ..
- Farjallah S, Sanna D, Amor N, Ben Mehel B, Piras M, Merella P, et al. Genetic characterization of Fasciola hepatica from Tunisia and Algeria based on mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequences. Parasitol Res. 2009;105:1617-21 pubmed publisher..This is the first molecular characterization of F. hepatica in North Africa which provides a foundation for further studies on Fasciola spp. in Tunisia and Algeria...
- Palm H, Waeschenbach A, Olson P, Littlewood D. Molecular phylogeny and evolution of the Trypanorhyncha Diesing, 1863 (Platyhelminthes: Cestoda). Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2009;52:351-67 pubmed..This likely enabled a radiation into the deep sea environment. Implications of the molecular phylogeny for the classification and evolutionary developments within the order are discussed. ..
- Naem S, Pagan C, Nadler S. Structural restoration of nematodes and acanthocephalans fixed in high percentage alcohol using DESS solution and rehydration. J Parasitol. 2010;96:809-11 pubmed publisher..This method appears promising for other helminths, although for an acanthocephalan, the treatment restored the body surface but failed to reverse the retracted proboscis. ..
- Keeney D, King T, Rowe D, Poulin R. Contrasting mtDNA diversity and population structure in a direct-developing marine gastropod and its trematode parasites. Mol Ecol. 2009;18:4591-603 pubmed publisher..In addition, snails may occasionally experience long-distance dispersal. Discrepancies between trematode species may result from differences in their effective population sizes and/or life history traits. ..
- Hernandez M, Gonzalez L, Fleury A, Saenz B, Parkhouse R, Harrison L, et al. Neurocysticercosis: detection of Taenia solium DNA in human cerebrospinal fluid using a semi-nested PCR based on HDP2. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2008;102:317-23 pubmed publisher..The 36 patients known to have neurological problems other than NC were found PCR-negative. The HDP2 PCR offers a new tool in the diagnosis of NC and in exploring the pathogenesis of this serious disease...
- Zhu Y, Lu F, Dai Y, Wang X, Tang J, Zhao S, et al. Synergistic enhancement of immunogenicity and protection in mice against Schistosoma japonicum with codon optimization and electroporation delivery of SjTPI DNA vaccines. Vaccine. 2010;28:5347-55 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the combination of a codon optimized vaccine design and an efficient vaccine delivery system can greatly improve the potential of a SjTPI DNA vaccine as a viable schistosome vaccine candidate. ..
- Rodríguez E, Olmedo J, Ubeira F, Blanco C, Garate T. Mixed infection, Trichinella spiralis and Trichinella britovi, in a wild boar hunted in the Province of Cáceres (Spain). Exp Parasitol. 2008;119:430-2 pubmed publisher..spiralis and T. britovi were detected. The mechanism by which this wild boar came to acquire a mixed infection remains unclear...
- Dolinski C, Kamitani F, Machado I, Winter C. Molecular and morphological characterization of heterorhabditid entomopathogenic nematodes from the tropical rainforest in Brazil. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2008;103:150-9 pubmed..Consequently, strains LPP1, LPP2, LPP3, LPP4, and LPP9 were identified as H. indica, whereas LPP5, LPP7, LPP8 and LPP10 were identified as H. baujardi...
- Waeyenberge L. Pratylenchus goodeyi, a species-complex?. Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci. 2007;72:697-701 pubmed
- Gnanasekar M, Anandharaman V, Anand S, Nutman T, Ramaswamy K. A novel small heat shock protein 12.6 (HSP12.6) from Brugia malayi functions as a human IL-10 receptor binding protein. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2008;159:98-103 pubmed publisher..This study thus describes a novel small HSP from B. malayi that has the capacity to bind to huIL10R, block binding of huIL10 to huIL10R and function similar to huIL10. ..
- Ali H, Ai L, Song H, Ali S, Lin R, Seyni B, et al. Genetic characterisation of Fasciola samples from different host species and geographical localities revealed the existence of F. hepatica and F. gigantica in Niger. Parasitol Res. 2008;102:1021-4 pubmed publisher..hepatica and F. gigantica in Niger and has implications for studying the population genetic structure of the Niger Fasciola and for the diagnosis and control of the disease they cause...
- Abd El Baki M, El Missiry A, Abd El Aaty H, Mohamad A, Aminou H. Detection of G1 genotype of human cystic echinococcosis in Egypt. J Egypt Soc Parasitol. 2009;39:711-21 pubmed..The results may give an explanation to the contradicting results of other studies that did not relay upon molecular aspects. ..
- Cerutti M, Citterio C, Bazzocchi C, Epis S, D Amelio S, Ferrari N, et al. Genetic variability of Haemonchus contortus (Nematoda: Trichostrongyloidea) in alpine ruminant host species. J Helminthol. 2010;84:276-83 pubmed publisher..contortus as a generalist nematode and suggesting that parasite transmission between populations of domestic and wild ruminants normally occurs...
- Ercan S, Dick L, Lieb J. The C. elegans dosage compensation complex propagates dynamically and independently of X chromosome sequence. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1777-87 pubmed publisher..Similarities to the X recognition and spreading strategies used by the Drosophila DCC suggest mechanisms fundamental to chromosome-scale gene regulation. ..
- Beltran S, Desdevises Y, Portela J, Boissier J. Mating system drives negative associations between morphological features in Schistosomatidae. BMC Evol Biol. 2010;10:245 pubmed publisher..In contrast, males of polygynandrous species invest to a greater extent in sexual tissues at the cost of reduced commitment to female care. ..
- Rokni M, Mirhendi H, Mizani A, Mohebali M, Sharbatkhori M, Kia E, et al. Identification and differentiation of Fasciola hepatica and Fasciola gigantica using a simple PCR-restriction enzyme method. Exp Parasitol. 2010;124:209-13 pubmed publisher..Our PCR-restriction enzyme profile is a simple, rapid and reliable method for differentiating F. hepatica and F. gigantica, and can be used for diagnostic and epidemiological purposes...
- Miller T, Cribb T. Gynichthys diakidnus n. g., n. sp. (Digenea: Cryptogonimidae) from the grunt Plectorhinchus gibbosus (Lacépède, 1802) (Perciformes: Haemulidae) off the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Syst Parasitol. 2009;74:103-12 pubmed publisher..A four helix model was inferred with helices I and IV being relatively short (<30 nucleotides) and helix three being the longest; this structure is homologous with that observed for other digeneans and eukaryotes in general. ..
- Freeman M, Ogawa K. Variation in the small subunit ribosomal DNA confirms that Udonella (Monogenea: Udonellidae) is a species-rich group. Int J Parasitol. 2010;40:255-64 pubmed publisher..caligorum may actually represent new species. This has led to a wide range of morphological descriptions for U. caligorum, blurring the usefulness of morphological data for the group. ..
- Weyher A, Phillips Conroy J, Fischer K, Weil G, Chansa W, Fischer P. Molecular identification of Schistosoma mattheei from feces of Kinda (Papio cynocephalus kindae) and grayfoot baboons (Papio ursinus griseipes) in Zambia. J Parasitol. 2010;96:184-90 pubmed publisher..Schistosoma mattheei is typically a parasite of bovids, but it can also infect humans. Schistosoma mattheei in baboons in Zambia may affect other wildlife species and humans that live in close proximity to baboons...
- Bolek M, Snyder S, Janovy J. Alternative life cycle strategies and colonization of young anurans by Gorgoderina attenuata in Nebraska. J Parasitol. 2009;95:604-16 pubmed publisher..Our comparative approach to life cycle studies in different anuran life stages and multiple species of hosts suggests that tadpoles and metamorphosed anurans have favored alternative life cycle strategies in this trematode...
- Umesha K, Kumar S, Parvathi A, Duenngai K, Sithithaworn P, Karunasagar I, et al. Opisthorchis viverrini: detection by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in human stool samples. Exp Parasitol. 2008;120:353-6 pubmed publisher..The sensitivity of the assay was 5 eggs/g of stool. This method is potentially useful in the diagnosis of human opisthorchiasis in endemic areas for treatment and in epidemiological investigations. ..
- Valouev A, Ichikawa J, Tonthat T, Stuart J, Ranade S, Peckham H, et al. A high-resolution, nucleosome position map of C. elegans reveals a lack of universal sequence-dictated positioning. Genome Res. 2008;18:1051-63 pubmed publisher..We release this data set, via the UCSC Genome Browser, as a resource for the high-resolution analysis of chromatin conformation and DNA accessibility at individual loci within the C. elegans genome. ..
- Pettitt J, Muller B, Stansfield I, Connolly B. Spliced leader trans-splicing in the nematode Trichinella spiralis uses highly polymorphic, noncanonical spliced leaders. RNA. 2008;14:760-70 pubmed publisher..This discovery sheds important light on the nature and evolution of mRNA processing in the Nematoda. ..
- Aonuma H, Yoshimura A, Kobayashi T, Okado K, Badolo A, Nelson B, et al. A single fluorescence-based LAMP reaction for identifying multiple parasites in mosquitoes. Exp Parasitol. 2010;125:179-83 pubmed publisher..This procedure could increase the efficiency and effectiveness of arthropod-borne disease elimination programs. ..
- Eursitthichai V, Viyanant V, Tesana S, Sithithaworn P, Kosa N, Grams R. Opisthorchis viverrini: evaluation of 28 kDa glutathione S-transferase as diagnostic tool in human opisthorchiasis. Acta Trop. 2010;114:76-80 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, OV28GST is not applicable as a diagnostic tool in established infections due to low specific antibody titre and abundance as circulating antigen...
- Zhou X, Wu J, Huang X, Kunnon S, Zhu X, Chen X. Identification and characterization of Schistosoma japonicum Sjp40, a potential antigen candidate for the early diagnosis of schistosomiasis. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;67:337-45 pubmed publisher..japonicum) and suggested that Sjp40 is a potential antigen candidate for the early diagnosis of schistosomiasis. ..