Genomes and Genes
Summary: DNA that is complementary to the sense strand. (The sense strand has the same sequence as the mRNA transcript. The antisense strand is the template for mRNA synthesis.) Synthetic antisense DNAs are used to hybridize to complementary sequences in target RNAs or DNAs to effect the functioning of specific genes for investigative or therapeutic purposes.
- Dhillon N, Sui Y, Potula R, Dhillon S, Adany I, Li Z, et al. Inhibition of pathogenic SHIV replication in macaques treated with antisense DNA of interleukin-4. Blood. 2005;105:3094-9 pubmed..In the present era of increasing resistance of HIV to antiviral compounds, exploration of adjunct therapies directed at host responses in combination with antiretroviral drugs may be of value for the treatment of AIDS. ..
- Wakatsuki M, Akiyoshi J, Ichioka S, Tanaka Y, Tsuru J, Matsushita H, et al. Administration of antisense DNA for hepatocyte growth factor causes an depressive and anxiogenic response in rats. Neuropeptides. 2007;41:477-83 pubmed..In forced swimming test, rats that received antisense DNA increased the length of time that they were immobile in the water...
- Nesterova M, Cho Chung Y. Killing the messenger: antisense DNA and siRNA. Curr Drug Targets. 2004;5:683-9 pubmed..We will focus in this review on the most important issues in the development of both methods and their possible use in gene-silencing therapy. ..
- Yelin R, Dahary D, Sorek R, Levanon E, Goldstein O, Shoshan A, et al. Widespread occurrence of antisense transcription in the human genome. Nat Biotechnol. 2003;21:379-86 pubmed..Therefore, antisense modulation of gene expression in human cells may be a common regulatory mechanism. ..
- Osato N, Yamada H, Satoh K, Ooka H, Yamamoto M, Suzuki K, et al. Antisense transcripts with rice full-length cDNAs. Genome Biol. 2003;5:R5 pubmed..On the basis of our results, experiments should be carried out to analyze the function of plant antisense transcripts. ..
- Khanna A. Concerted effect of transforming growth factor-beta, cyclin inhibitor p21, and c-myc on smooth muscle cell proliferation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;286:H1133-40 pubmed..This study uniquely analyzes the effect of TGF-beta at the molecular level on proliferation of SMC and on cell cycle regulatory molecules, implicating their potential role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. ..
- Lim K, Chow V. Induction of marked apoptosis in mammalian cancer cell lines by antisense DNA treatment to abolish expression of DENN (differentially expressed in normal and neoplastic cells). Mol Carcinog. 2002;35:110-26 pubmed..Our findings suggest that DENN is intimately involved in anti-apoptotic and cell-survival processes. ..
- Shendure J, Church G. Computational discovery of sense-antisense transcription in the human and mouse genomes. Genome Biol. 2002;3:RESEARCH0044 pubmed
- Mangos M, Min K, Viazovkina E, Galarneau A, Elzagheid M, Parniak M, et al. Efficient RNase H-directed cleavage of RNA promoted by antisense DNA or 2'F-ANA constructs containing acyclic nucleotide inserts. J Am Chem Soc. 2003;125:654-61 pubmed
- Carmichael G. Antisense starts making more sense. Nat Biotechnol. 2003;21:371-2 pubmed
- Song H, Cho D, Jeon J, Han S, Hur D, Kim Y, et al. Vitamin D(3) up-regulating protein 1 (VDUP1) antisense DNA regulates tumorigenicity and melanogenesis of murine melanoma cells via regulating the expression of fas ligand and reactive oxygen species. Immunol Lett. 2003;86:235-47 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that VDUP1 has critical physiological roles and can be a novel therapeutic target for melanoma. ..
- Lev Maor G, Sorek R, Shomron N, Ast G. The birth of an alternatively spliced exon: 3' splice-site selection in Alu exons. Science. 2003;300:1288-91 pubmed..We revealed a mechanism that governs 3' splice-site selection in these exons during alternative splicing. On the basis of these findings, we identified mutations that activated the exonization of a silent intronic Alu. ..
- Kiyosawa H, Yamanaka I, Osato N, Kondo S, Hayashizaki Y. Antisense transcripts with FANTOM2 clone set and their implications for gene regulation. Genome Res. 2003;13:1324-34 pubmed..The viewer showing mapping patterns of sense-antisense transcript pairs and nonantisense bidirectional transcription pairs on the genome and other related statistical data is available on our Web site. ..
- Aartsma Rus A, Janson A, Kaman W, Bremmer Bout M, van Ommen G, den Dunnen J, et al. Antisense-induced multiexon skipping for Duchenne muscular dystrophy makes more sense. Am J Hum Genet. 2004;74:83-92 pubmed..In fact, we here demonstrate its feasibility in myotubes from a patient with an exon 48-50 deletion. The application of multiexon skipping may provide a more uniform methodology for a larger group of patients with DMD. ..
- Bando Y, Katayama T, Aleshin A, Manabe T, Tohyama M. GRP94 reduces cell death in SH-SY5Y cells perturbated calcium homeostasis. Apoptosis. 2004;9:501-8 pubmed..These results indicated that suppression of GRP94 is associated with accelerated cell death. Moreover, expression of GRP94 suppressed A23187-induced cell death and stabilized calcium homeostasis. ..
- Patel M, Masood A, Patel P, Chanan Khan A. Targeting the Bcl-2. Curr Opin Oncol. 2009;21:516-23 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of Bcl-2 and restoration of a critical apoptotic pathway in cancer cells remains an important strategy. Novel Bcl-2 inhibitors have started to deliver the therapeutic promise of this target-specific quest. ..
- Nishihira J, Mitsuyama K. Overview of the role of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) in inflammatory bowel disease. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:2104-9 pubmed..We here overview MIF's pathophysiological function, mainly in IBD, and introduce two therapeutic approaches, anti-MIF antibody treatment and MIF-antisense therapy, via a drug delivery system using 1,3-beta glucan. ..
- Fan C, Hnatowich D. [Preparation and quality control of 99mTc labeled MDR1 oligonucleotide DNAs]. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2008;25:712-5 pubmed..The two-step icefrozen kits of ASON- and SON-MAG3 DNAs were successfully developed. The radiochemical purities were all over 90%. The labeling method was simple, feasible and efficient with good stability. ..
- O Hara P, Slabas A, Fawcett T. Antisense expression of 3-oxoacyl-ACP reductase affects whole plant productivity and causes collateral changes in activity of fatty acid synthase components. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:736-44 pubmed..The reduction in activity of KR was mirrored for a second fatty acid synthase component, enoyl-ACP reductase, indicating a mechanism to maintain the ratio of fatty acid synthase components throughout embryogenesis. ..
- Ondeyka J, Zink D, Basilio A, Vicente F, Bills G, Diez M, et al. Coniothyrione, a chlorocyclopentandienylbenzopyrone as a bacterial protein synthesis inhibitor discovered by antisense technology. J Nat Prod. 2007;70:668-70 pubmed..Isolation, structure elucidation, and antibacterial activity of coniothyrione are described. ..
- Kaneuchi M, Sasaki M, Tanaka Y, Shiina H, Yamada H, Yamamoto R, et al. WT1 and WT1-AS genes are inactivated by promoter methylation in ovarian clear cell adenocarcinoma. Cancer. 2005;104:1924-30 pubmed..The authors hypothesized that Wilms tumor suppressor 1 gene (WT1) sense and antisense (WT1-AS) expression and their promoter methylation status could characterize ovarian clear cell adenocarcinoma from ovarian serous adenocarcinoma...
- Araya K, Fukumoto S, Backenroth R, Takeuchi Y, Nakayama K, Ito N, et al. A novel mutation in fibroblast growth factor 23 gene as a cause of tumoral calcinosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:5523-7 pubmed..Together with the recent similar report of FGF23 mutation, impaired action of full-length FGF23 seems to result in tumoral calcinosis. ..
- Chen M, Chen C. Chronic antipsychotics treatment regulates MAOA, MAOB and COMT gene expression in rat frontal cortex. J Psychiatr Res. 2007;41:57-62 pubmed
- Ruan G, Liu Y, Chen S, Fu J, Chang Y, Qin Y, et al. Effect of antisense VEGF cDNA transfection on the growth of chronic myeloid leukemia K562 cells in vitro and in nude mice. Leuk Res. 2004;28:763-9 pubmed
- Rintala Maki N, Sutherland L. LUCA-15/RBM5, a putative tumour suppressor, enhances multiple receptor-initiated death signals. Apoptosis. 2004;9:475-84 pubmed..These results may explain the putative role of LUCA-15 as a tumour suppressor, suggesting that lack of functional LUCA-15 could provide the means by which malignant T cells escape receptor-initiated apoptotic signals. ..
- Vu T, Li T, Hoffman A. Promoter-restricted histone code, not the differentially methylated DNA regions or antisense transcripts, marks the imprinting status of IGF2R in human and mouse. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:2233-45 pubmed..We discuss these findings in light of recent progress in identifying specific components of the epigenetic marks in imprinted genes. ..
- Ricci Vitiani L, Pedini F, Mollinari C, Condorelli G, Bonci D, Bez A, et al. Absence of caspase 8 and high expression of PED protect primitive neural cells from cell death. J Exp Med. 2004;200:1257-66 pubmed..Moreover, lentiviral-mediated delivery of PED antisense DNA resulted in dramatic down-regulation of the endogenous gene expression and sensitization of primitive neural ..
- Myers A, Corson L, Rossant J, Baker J. Characterization of mouse Rsk4 as an inhibitor of fibroblast growth factor-RAS-extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4255-66 pubmed..These studies demonstrate a new and divergent function for RSK4 and support a role for RSK proteins in the specification of RTK signals during early mouse development. ..
- Zhou L, Civitello E, Gupta N, Silverman R, Molinaro R, Anderson D, et al. Endowing RNase H-inactive antisense with catalytic activity: 2-5A-morphants. Bioconjug Chem. 2005;16:383-90 pubmed..RNase L assays demonstrated that this novel 2-5A-antisense chimera had significant biological activity, thereby providing another potential tool for RNA ablation. ..
- Xu H, Ji X, He Z, Shi W, Zhu G, Niu J, et al. Oxalate accumulation and regulation is independent of glycolate oxidase in rice leaves. J Exp Bot. 2006;57:1899-908 pubmed..Taken together, it is suggested that oxalate accumulation and regulation is independent of GLO in rice leaves. ..
- Doh K, Lee Y, Han K, Uhm S, Kim J, Bae Y, et al. Fabrication of a microarray using a combination of the large circular sense and antisense DNA. Int J Mol Med. 2010;25:113-20 pubmed..These experiments demonstrated the proper features of LC-sense molecules as probe DNA for microarray and the potential utility of the combination of LC-sense and -antisense libraries for an effective functional validation of genes. ..
- Mollinari C, Ricci Vitiani L, Pieri M, Lucantoni C, Rinaldi A, Racaniello M, et al. Downregulation of thymosin beta4 in neural progenitor grafts promotes spinal cord regeneration. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:4195-207 pubmed publisher..Moreover, NPCs with reduced Tbeta4 levels generate an L1-enriched environment in the lesioned spinal cord that favors growth and sprouting of spared host axons and enhances the endogenous tissue-repair processes. ..
- Pornprasertsuk S, Duarte W, Mochida Y, Yamauchi M. Lysyl hydroxylase-2b directs collagen cross-linking pathways in MC3T3-E1 cells. J Bone Miner Res. 2004;19:1349-55 pubmed..3 mol/mol of collagen) in AS clones. The data clearly show a critical role of LH2b in determining collagen cross-linking pathways, most likely through its action on telopeptidyl Lys residues. ..
- Li Y, Lu Z, Chen F, Guan J, Hu L, Xu Y, et al. Antisense bcl-2 transfection up-regulates anti-apoptotic and anti-oxidant thioredoxin in neuroblastoma cells. J Neurooncol. 2005;72:17-23 pubmed..1-folds. The up-regulation of thioredoxin may be a compensating mechanism for cell survival in neuroblastoma when Bcl-2 expression is suppressed, and it may to some extent attenuate the effectiveness of antisense bcl-2 therapy. ..
- Bindschedler L, Tuerck J, Maunders M, Ruel K, Petit Conil M, Danoun S, et al. Modification of hemicellulose content by antisense down-regulation of UDP-glucuronate decarboxylase in tobacco and its consequences for cellulose extractability. Phytochemistry. 2007;68:2635-48 pubmed..This is one of the first studies of a directed manipulation of hemicellulose content on cellulose extractability and shows both positive and negative outcomes. ..
- Fujita N, Nagata S. Contactin 1 knockdown in the hindbrain induces abnormal development of the trigeminal sensory nerve in Xenopus embryos. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:709-13 pubmed..The results suggest that Contactin 1 is required for the growing axon of hindbrain sensory neurons to recognize and follow the pathway settled by the pioneer neurons. ..
- Michaelis U, Falck J, Schmidt R, Busse R, Fleming I. Cytochrome P4502C9-derived epoxyeicosatrienoic acids induce the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in endothelial cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005;25:321-6 pubmed..CYP2C9 overexpression stimulated endothelial tube formation, which was attenuated by the COX-2 inhibitor celecoxib. Thus, COX-2 contributes to CYP2C9-induced angiogenesis. ..
- Huang J, Zhao Y, Li Y, Fletcher J, Xiao S. Genomic and functional evidence for an ARID1A tumor suppressor role. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2007;46:745-50 pubmed..These studies provide strong evidence that ARID1A is a tumor suppressor gene. (c) 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Gao Q, Zhou J, Huang X, Chen G, Ye F, Lu Y, et al. Selective targeting of checkpoint kinase 1 in tumor cells with a novel potent oncolytic adenovirus. Mol Ther. 2006;13:928-37 pubmed..These findings have directed us toward the development of novel oncolytic adenoviruses that will be potentially applicable to a wide range of molecular-based therapeutics. ..
- Padham A, Hopkins M, Wang T, McNamara L, Lo M, Richardson L, et al. Characterization of a plastid triacylglycerol lipase from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2007;143:1372-84 pubmed..These observations collectively indicate that this TAG lipase plays a role in maintaining the structural integrity of chloroplasts, possibly by mobilizing the fatty acids of plastoglobular TAG. ..
- Sakai J, Halloran M. Semaphorin 3d guides laterality of retinal ganglion cell projections in zebrafish. Development. 2006;133:1035-44 pubmed..Our results indicate that a proper balance of Sema3d is needed at the midline for the progression of RGC axons from the chiasm midline into the contralateral optic tract. ..
- Abeysinghe H, Pollock S, Guckert N, Veyberman Y, Keng P, Halterman M, et al. The role of the THY1 gene in human ovarian cancer suppression based on transfection studies. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2004;149:1-10 pubmed..Taken together, the data suggest that THY1 is necessary but not sufficient to suppress ovarian tumorigenicity. Therefore, THY1 can be designated as a putative tumor suppressor gene for human ovarian cancer. ..
- Yang P, Kuroda M. Noncoding RNAs and intranuclear positioning in monoallelic gene expression. Cell. 2007;128:777-86 pubmed..Here, we highlight recent progress in identifying these phenomena as possible key regulatory mechanisms of monoallelic expression. ..
- Siavash H, Nikitakis N, Sauk J. Signal transducers and activators of transcription: insights into the molecular basis of oral cancer. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004;15:298-307 pubmed..Signal transduction pathways mediated by these oncogenic transcription factors and their regulation in oral cancer are the focus of this review. ..
- Tal R, Shaish A, Bangio L, Peled M, Breitbart E, Harats D. Activation of C-transactivation domain is essential for optimal HIF-1 alpha-mediated transcriptional and angiogenic effects. Microvasc Res. 2008;76:1-6 pubmed publisher..This finding could have important implications for therapeutic angiogenesis using HIF-1 alpha. ..
- Jiang X, Tu S, Cui J, Lin M, Xia H, Wong W, et al. Antisense targeting protein kinase C alpha and beta1 inhibits gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 2004;64:5787-94 pubmed..These data provide evidence that targeting PKCalpha and PKCbeta1 by antisense method is a promising therapy for gastric cancer. ..
- Liu Y, Xi L, Liao G, Wang W, Tian X, Wang B, et al. Inhibition of PC cell-derived growth factor (PCDGF)/granulin-epithelin precursor (GEP) decreased cell proliferation and invasion through downregulation of cyclin D and CDK4 and inactivation of MMP-2. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:22 pubmed..Inhibition of PCDGF decreased proliferation and invasion capability through downregulation of cyclin D1 and CDK4 and inactivation of MMP-2. PCDGF could serve as a potential therapeutic target in ovarian cancer. ..
- Lin J, Zhu M, Qu J, Li F, Ni C. [Effects of hepatitis B virus X gene on p21(WAF1) expression through p53-dependent and p53-independent pathways]. Ai Zheng. 2004;23:749-55 pubmed..31% vs 61.49%). HBx may not only increase the expression of p21(WAF1) by introducing the accumulation of p53 in cytoplasm but also inhibit the transcriptional activity of p21(WAF1) promoter in a p53-independent manner. ..
- Wang X, Pluznick J, Wei P, Padanilam B, Sansom S. TRPC4 forms store-operated Ca2+ channels in mouse mesangial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;287:C357-64 pubmed..These studies show that TRPC4-alpha may form the homotetrameric SOC in mouse mesangial cells. ..
- Taylor H, Fei X. Emx2 regulates mammalian reproduction by altering endometrial cell proliferation. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:2839-46 pubmed..Emx2 controls mammalian reproduction by adjusting endometrial cell proliferation without effecting differentiation. Regulated uterine Emx2 expression is necessary during reproduction for maximal implantation and litter size. ..
- Matsumoto N, Jo O, Shih R, Yanagawa N. Altered cathepsin D metabolism in PHEX antisense human osteoblast cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;332:248-53 pubmed
- Frendo P, Harrison J, Norman C, Hernández Jiménez M, Van de Sype G, Gilabert A, et al. Glutathione and homoglutathione play a critical role in the nodulation process of Medicago truncatula. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2005;18:254-9 pubmed..In conclusion, GSH and hGSH appear to be essential for proper development of the root nodules during the symbiotic interaction. ..
- Dreyfus D, Matczuk A, Fuleihan R. An RNA external guide sequence ribozyme targeting human interleukin-4 receptor alpha mRNA. Int Immunopharmacol. 2004;4:1015-27 pubmed..Potential applications of inhaled RNA oligonucleotides in therapy of pulmonary and related systemic diseases are discussed. ..