Genomes and Genes
Summary: Substances and products derived from NICOTIANA TABACUM.
- Brawley O. The role of government and regulation in cancer prevention. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:e483-e493 pubmed publisher..Cancer prevention and health promotion are also in the realm of the zoning board, the board of education, and the board of health. ..
- Weaver S, Kemp C, Heath J, Pechacek T, Eriksen M. Use of Nicotine in Electronic Nicotine and Non-Nicotine Delivery Systems by US Adults, 2015. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:545-548 pubmed publisher..9%) ENDS/ENNDS users who were never smokers used ENDS/ENNDS containing nicotine. Assessments of the population health impact of ENDS/ENNDS use among never smokers should take into account the extent to which use involves nicotine. ..
- Deng H, Yang F, Li Z, Bian Z, Fan Z, Wang Y, et al. Rapid determination of 9 aromatic amines in mainstream cigarette smoke by modified dispersive liquid liquid microextraction and ultraperformance convergence chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2017;1507:37-44 pubmed publisher..77% and 69.37% respectively. Thus, this work provides a novel alternative method for the simultaneous analysis of 9 aromatic amines in mainstream cigarette smoke. ..
- Higgins S, Heil S, Sigmon S, Tidey J, Gaalema D, Hughes J, et al. Addiction Potential of Cigarettes With Reduced Nicotine Content in Populations With Psychiatric Disorders and Other Vulnerabilities to Tobacco Addiction. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:1056-1064 pubmed publisher..A national policy is under consideration to reduce the nicotine content of cigarettes to lower nicotine addiction potential in the United States...
- Al Hamdani M. Plain packaging policy: Preventing industry innovations. Can J Public Health. 2017;108:e98-e100 pubmed publisher..Plain packaging policy needs to address these innovations by restricting their use and preventing them from undermining health warnings. ..
- Poorolajal J, Mohammadi Y, Mahmoodi A. Challenges of Tobacco Control Program in Iran. Arch Iran Med. 2017;20:229-234 pubmed publisher..Raising the retail price of tobacco products through increasing taxes can reduce consumption, particularly among first starters and youth...
- Lugo A, Zuccaro P, Pacifici R, Gorini G, Colombo P, La Vecchia C, et al. Smoking in Italy in 2015-2016: prevalence, trends, roll-your-own cigarettes, and attitudes towards incoming regulations. Tumori. 2017;103:353-359 pubmed publisher..To understand how Italians accepted the new norms, we analyzed data from our 2 most recent surveys among those we annually conduct on tobacco...
- Alberg A, Shopland D, Cummings K. The 2014 Surgeon General's report: commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the 1964 Report of the Advisory Committee to the US Surgeon General and updating the evidence on the health consequences of cigarette smoking. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:403-12 pubmed publisher..The Surgeon General report process is an enduring example of evidence-based public health in practice. Substantial progress has been made, but cigarette smoking remains one of the most pressing global health issues of our time. ..
- Metcalfe S, Murray P, Schousboe C. A kick in the butt: time to address tobacco waste in New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2017;130:65-69 pubmed..Targeting TPW through novel policies/regulations-such as a cigarette butt deposit scheme-may serve the dual purposes of reducing an environment nuisance and progressing Aotearoa New Zealand to its goal of being smokefree by 2025. ..
- Lee K, Jeong J, Koo Y, Jang A, Lee C, Yoo C. Exogenous neutrophil elastase enters bronchial epithelial cells and suppresses cigarette smoke extract-induced heme oxygenase-1 by cleaving sirtuin 1. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11970-11979 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, NE suppresses CSE-induced HO-1 expression by cleaving SIRT1. This finding indicates the importance of cross-talk between oxidative stress and protease responses in the pathogenesis of COPD. ..
- Cheng Y, Rostron B, Day H, Stanton C, Hull L, Persoskie A, et al. Patterns of Use of Smokeless Tobacco in US Adults, 2013-2014. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1508-1514 pubmed publisher..Polytobacco use, especially cigarette smoking, is common among SLT users. Pouched snus users are more likely to report nondaily snus use and polytobacco use than users of other SLT products. ..
- Roberts M, Doogan N, Stanton C, Quisenberry A, Villanti A, Gaalema D, et al. Rural Versus Urban Use of Traditional and Emerging Tobacco Products in the United States, 2013-2014. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1554-1559 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight important urban-rural differences in tobacco use. Whether the changing tobacco product landscape will contribute to a continuation of rural health disparities remains to be seen. ..
- Strickland J, Stoops W. Stimulus selectivity of drug purchase tasks: A preliminary study evaluating alcohol and cigarette demand. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2017;25:198-207 pubmed publisher..These preliminary outcomes suggest that demand metrics adequately reflect the specific commodity under study and support the continued use of purchase tasks in substance use research. (PsycINFO Database Record ..
- Choi S. Are lower income smokers more price sensitive?: the evidence from Korean cigarette tax increases. Tob Control. 2016;25:141-6 pubmed publisher..The simulated tax burdens of different income groups show that the additional burden of a tax increase and the associated price rise is largely borne by higher income smokers. ..
- Lam H, Cloonan S, Bhashyam A, Haspel J, Singh A, Sathirapongsasuti J, et al. Histone deacetylase 6-mediated selective autophagy regulates COPD-associated cilia dysfunction. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:5212-30 pubmed publisher..We conclude that an autophagy-dependent pathway regulates cilia length during CS exposure and has potential as a therapeutic target for COPD. ..
- Duncan D, Kawachi I, Subramanian S, Aldstadt J, Melly S, Williams D. Examination of how neighborhood definition influences measurements of youths' access to tobacco retailers: a methodological note on spatial misclassification. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:373-81 pubmed publisher..These analyses suggest that, whenever possible, egocentric neighborhood definitions should be used. The use of larger administrative neighborhood definitions can bias exposure estimates for proximity measures. ..
- Jitender S, Sarika G, Sharma P, Mishra P. Bidi smoking: an underestimated issue of Indian society. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2017;12:73-81 pubmed..This raises a concern about the economic balance of the nation, as to whether there is a revenue generation with tax on the sale of tobacco or if there is an economic loss due to the various diseases that result from bidi smoking. ..
- Agaku I, King B, Husten C, Bunnell R, Ambrose B, Hu S, et al. Tobacco product use among adults--United States, 2012-2013. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:542-7 pubmed..S. adults over the past five decades, progress has slowed in recent years, and the prevalence of use of other tobacco products such as cigars and smokeless tobacco has not changed...
- Asma S, Song Y, Cohen J, Eriksen M, Pechacek T, Cohen N, et al. CDC Grand Rounds: global tobacco control. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:277-80 pubmedDuring the 20th century, use of tobacco products contributed to the deaths of 100 million persons worldwide...
- Kralikova E, Novak J, West O, Kmetova A, Hajek P. Do e-cigarettes have the potential to compete with conventional cigarettes?: a survey of conventional cigarette smokers' experiences with e-cigarettes. Chest. 2013;144:1609-1614 pubmed publisher..ECs may develop into a genuine competitor to conventional cigarettes. Government agencies preparing to regulate ECs need to ensure that such moves do not create a market monopoly for conventional cigarettes. ..
- Caputi T, Leas E, Dredze M, Cohen J, Ayers J. They're heating up: Internet search query trends reveal significant public interest in heat-not-burn tobacco products. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185735 pubmed publisherHeat-not-burn tobacco products, battery powered devices that heat leaf tobacco to approximately 500 degrees Fahrenheit to produce an inhalable aerosol, are being introduced in markets around the world...
- Reilly S, Goel R, Bitzer Z, Elias R, Foulds J, Muscat J, et al. Effects of Topography-Related Puff Parameters on Carbonyl Delivery in Mainstream Cigarette Smoke. Chem Res Toxicol. 2017;30:1463-1469 pubmed publisher..The lack of an impact of other behaviors, including puff intensity and duration independent of volume, indicate that factors such as temperature and peak flow rate may have minimal overall effects on carbonyl production and delivery. ..
- Song M, Benowitz N, Berman M, Brasky T, Cummings K, Hatsukami D, et al. Cigarette Filter Ventilation and its Relationship to Increasing Rates of Lung Adenocarcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2017;109: pubmed publisher..Thus, the FDA should consider regulating its use, up to and including a ban. Herein, we propose a research agenda to support such an effort...
- Peters E, Rosenberry Z, Schauer G, O Grady K, Johnson P. Marijuana and tobacco cigarettes: Estimating their behavioral economic relationship using purchasing tasks. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2017;25:208-215 pubmed publisher..These preliminary results can inform future studies assessing the economic relationship between tobacco and marijuana in the quickly changing policy climate in the United States. (PsycINFO Database Record ..
- Couch E, Chaffee B, Gansky S, Walsh M. The changing tobacco landscape: What dental professionals need to know. J Am Dent Assoc. 2016;147:561-9 pubmed publisherb>Tobacco products in the United States and the patterns of tobacco use are changing...
- Huff R, Hsu A, Nichol K, Jones B, Knight D, Wark P, et al. Regulation of xanthine dehydrogensase gene expression and uric acid production in human airway epithelial cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184260 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the active production of uric acid from human airway epithelial cells may be intrinsically altered in asthma and be further induced by pro-inflammatory cytokines. ..
- Hwang J, Park S. Is there differential responsiveness to a future cigarette price increase depending on adolescents' source of cigarette access?. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7311 pubmed publisher..Therefore, a cigarette price policy is a comprehensive strategy to reduce smoking among youth smokers, regardless of their source. ..
- Jao N, Veluz Wilkins A, Smith M, Carroll A, Blazekovic S, Leone F, et al. Does menthol cigarette use moderate the effect of nicotine metabolism on short-term smoking cessation?. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2017;25:216-222 pubmed publisher..Further exploration of risk factors among menthol cigarette smokers, especially among racially diverse and light smokers, could clarify the association between menthol cigarette use and poorer smoking outcomes. (PsycINFO Database Record ..
- Li Z, Elton Marshall T, Fong G, Quah A, Feng G, Jiang Y, et al. Noticing cigarette health warnings and support for new health warnings among non-smokers in China: findings from the International Tobacco Control project (ITC) China survey. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:476 pubmed publisher..Additionally, because the HWLs are noticed more often by non-smokers with a smoking spouse/partner, HWLs could be used to communicate the dangers of smoking and secondhand smoke exposure to non-smokers. ..
- Park S, Murphy S, Wilkens L, Stram D, Hecht S, Le Marchand L. Association of CYP2A6 activity with lung cancer incidence in smokers: The multiethnic cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178435 pubmed publisher..CYP2A6 activity should be further studied as a risk biomarker for smoking-related lung cancer. ..
- Kang E, Lee J, Cho H. Characteristics of hardcore smokers in South Korea from 2007 to 2013. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:521 pubmed publisher..79; 95% CI, 0.66-0.96). Household income and education level did not have any significant association with the likelihood of a hardcore smoker. Hardcore smoking was more prevalent among men, unmarried men and those aging 40-49 years. ..
- Dutra L, Glantz S. Electronic cigarettes and conventional cigarette use among U.S. adolescents: a cross-sectional study. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168:610-7 pubmed..Use of e-cigarettes does not discourage, and may encourage, conventional cigarette use among U.S. adolescents. ..
- Paumgartten F, Gomes Carneiro M, Oliveira A. The impact of tobacco additives on cigarette smoke toxicity: a critical appraisal of tobacco industry studies. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33Suppl 3:e00132415 pubmed publisher..This literature review led to the conclusion that the impact of tobacco additives on tobacco smoke harmfulness remains unclear. ..
- Fraser T, Kira A. Perspectives of key stakeholders and smokers on a very low nicotine content cigarette-only policy: qualitative study. N Z Med J. 2017;130:36-45 pubmed..If this were combined with better access to nicotine containing e-cigarettes, smokers may shift away from HNC cigarettes. ..
- Nayak P, Pechacek T, Slovic P, Eriksen M. Regretting Ever Starting to Smoke: Results from a 2014 National Survey. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..i>Methods: Data from the 2014 Tobacco Products and Risk Perceptions Survey, a nationally representative survey of United States adults, were analyzed to ..
- Robinson M, Reid G. Population cigarette consumption in Great Britain: novel insights using retail sales data. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:941 pubmed publisher..Cigarette retail sales data provide unique insights into levels and patterns of cigarette consumption and should be used for monitoring and evaluating tobacco control policy in Great Britain. ..
- Steinberg M, Delnevo C. Increasing the “smoking age”: the right thing to do. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:558-9 pubmed
- Morain S, Malek J. Minimum Age of Sale for Tobacco Products and Electronic Cigarettes: Ethical Acceptability of US "Tobacco 21 Laws". Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1401-1405 pubmed publisherSeveral US jurisdictions have recently passed laws that raise the minimum age of sale for tobacco products and electronic cigarettes to 21 years (Tobacco 21 laws)...
- Manivong P, Harper S, Strumpf E. The contribution of excise cigarette taxes on the decline in youth smoking in Canada during the time of the Federal Tobacco Control Strategy (2002-2012). Can J Public Health. 2017;108:e117-e123 pubmed publisher..00 for only three provinces. Thus, our findings suggest that factors driving down tobacco use among youths in all provinces appear to outweigh any impact of small tax increases at already high tax levels. ..
- Wehbe M, Basil M, Basil D. Reactance and Coping Responses to Tobacco Counter-Advertisements. J Health Commun. 2017;22:576-583 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that interventions should consider different counter-advertising tactics for smokers and nonsmokers. Similar admonitions may apply to counter-advertising strategies on other health issues. ..
- . Tobacco product use among middle and high school students--United States, 2011 and 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:893-7 pubmed..and Tobacco Control Act, which granted the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to regulate the manufacture, distribution, and marketing of tobacco products, also is critical to addressing this health risk behavior.
- Robertson L, Marsh L, Hoek J, McGee R. New Zealand tobacco control experts' views towards policies to reduce tobacco availability. N Z Med J. 2017;130:27-35 pubmed..Future research could investigate possible legal mechanisms for requiring existing tobacco retailers to transition out of selling tobacco. ..
- Abu Shomar R, Lubbad I, El Ansari W, Al Khatib I, Alharazin H. Smoking, awareness of smoking-associated health risks, and knowledge of national tobacco legislation in Gaza, Palestine. Cent Eur J Public Health. 2014;22:80-9 pubmed..Efforts need to be invested in ensuring compliance with legislation and for follow-up activities to enforce the anti-smoking laws through coordinated actions across ministries and departments. ..
- . Notes from the field: electronic cigarette use among middle and high school students - United States, 2011-2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:729-30 pubmed..Use of e-cigarettes has increased among U.S. adult current and former smokers in recent years; however, the extent of use among youths is uncertain. ..
- Weitz C, Olszowy K, Dancause K, Sun C, Pomer A, Silverman H, et al. Rolling Tobacco in Banana Leaves, Newspaper, or Copybook Paper Associated With Significant Reduction in Lung Function in Vanuatu. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2017;29:180-188 pubmed publisher..Thus, public health initiatives should consider including strategies addressing the use of wrapping media among smokers in South Pacific island societies. ..