Summary: The science of developing, caring for, or cultivating forests.
- Liebman A, WIGGINS M, Fraser C, Levin J, Sidebottom J, Arcury T. Occupational health policy and immigrant workers in the agriculture, forestry, and fishing sector. Am J Ind Med. 2013;56:975-84 pubmed publisherImmigrant workers make up an important portion of the hired workforce in the Agricultural, Forestry and Fishing (AgFF) sector, one of the most hazardous industry sectors in the US...
- Ahn K, Gee S, Kim H, Aronov P, Vega H, Krieger R, et al. Immunochemical analysis of 3-phenoxybenzoic acid, a biomarker of forestry worker exposure to pyrethroid insecticides. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2011;401:1285-93 pubmed publisherPyrethroid insecticides widely used in forestry, agricultural, industrial, and residential applications have potential for human exposure...
- Zhai D, Cannon C, Slik J, Zhang C, Dai Z. Rubber and pulp plantations represent a double threat to Hainan's natural tropical forests. J Environ Manage. 2012;96:64-73 pubmed publisher..forests be reclassified as 'industrial', making a clear policy distinction between natural and industrial forestry. Additionally, the local government should work to enforce existing laws preventing forest conversion on marginal ..
- Soliman T, Mourits M, van der Werf W, Hengeveld G, Robinet C, Lansink A. Framework for modelling economic impacts of invasive species, applied to pine wood nematode in Europe. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45505 pubmed publisher..demonstrate its application to the pinewood nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus, which threatens the European forestry industry. The effect of spatial resolution on the assessment result is analysed...
- Ver Hoef J, Temesgen H. A comparison of the spatial linear model to Nearest Neighbor (k-NN) methods for forestry applications. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59129 pubmed publisher..SLM) and k-NN (k-Nearest Neighbor) are compared, theoretically, through simulations, and as applied to real forestry data...
- Wilson A. Diverse applications of electronic-nose technologies in agriculture and forestry. Sensors (Basel). 2013;13:2295-348 pubmed publisher..technologies, have been developed for a diversity of applications in the broad fields of agriculture and forestry. Recent advances in e-nose technologies within the plant sciences, including improvements in gas-sensor designs, ..
- Retnakaran A, Krell P, Feng Q, Arif B. Ecdysone agonists: mechanism and importance in controlling insect pests of agriculture and forestry. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2003;54:187-99 pubmed..Some insects, however, show resistance to these analogs and this could be, inter alia, due to an ATP Binding Cassette Transporter like system that selectively pumps out the analogs...
- deFries R, Rosenzweig C. Toward a whole-landscape approach for sustainable land use in the tropics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19627-32 pubmed publisher..Place-specific strategies for sustainable land use emerge from assessments of current land use, demographics, and other biophysical and socioeconomic characteristics, using a whole-landscape, multisector perspective. ..
- Tomao P, Ciceroni L, D Ovidio M, De Rosa M, Vonesch N, Iavicoli S, et al. Prevalence and incidence of antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi and to tick-borne encephalitis virus in agricultural and forestry workers from Tuscany, Italy. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2005;24:457-63 pubmed..of serological evidence of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato and TBE infections in healthy agricultural and forestry workers, (ii) to determine the incidence of seroconversion for antibodies against Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato ..
- Moseley C, Reyes Y. Forest restoration and forest communities: have local communities benefited from forest service contracting of ecosystem management?. Environ Manage. 2008;42:327-43 pubmed publisher..We find that land management contracting spending has declined dramatically and, once we control for intervening factors, we find that local contractors have received a smaller proportion of land management contracts over time. ..
- Wang G, Innes J, Lei J, Dai S, Wu S. Ecology. China's forestry reforms. Science. 2007;318:1556-7 pubmed
- Ribeiro H, Romero A, Pereira H, Borges P, Cabral F, Vasconcelos E. Evaluation of a compost obtained from forestry wastes and solid phase of pig slurry as a substrate for seedlings production. Bioresour Technol. 2007;98:3294-7 pubmedA composted material obtained from forestry wastes and solid phase of pig slurry was evaluated as a substrate component for the production of tomato and lettuce seedlings...
- Sonne E. Greenhouse gas emissions from forestry operations: a life cycle assessment. J Environ Qual. 2006;35:1439-50 pubmedMost forest carbon assessments focus only on biomass carbon and assume that greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from forestry activities are minimal...
- Curran L, Trigg S, McDonald A, Astiani D, Hardiono Y, Siregar P, et al. Lowland forest loss in protected areas of Indonesian Borneo. Science. 2004;303:1000-3 pubmed..quot;Protected" forests have become increasingly isolated and deforested and their buffer zones degraded. Preserving the ecological integrity of Kalimantan's rainforests requires immediate transnational management. ..
- Gray M, Baldauf S, Mayhew P, Hill J. The response of avian feeding guilds to tropical forest disturbance. Conserv Biol. 2007;21:133-41 pubmed..Overall, general patterns governed the responses of species to habitat disturbance, and the differential responses of guilds suggested that disturbance affects trophic organization and thus ecosystem functioning. ..
- Sah S, Ilvesniemi H. Effects of clear-cutting and soil preparation on natural 15N abundance in the soil and needles of two boreal conifer tree species. Isotopes Environ Health Stud. 2006;42:367-77 pubmed
- Willis K, Gillson L, Brncic T. Ecology. How 'virgin' is virgin rainforest?. Science. 2004;304:402-3 pubmed
- Cinco M, Barbone F, Grazia Ciufolini M, Mascioli M, Anguero Rosenfeld M, Stefanel P, et al. Seroprevalence of tick-borne infections in forestry rangers from northeastern Italy. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2004;10:1056-61 pubmed..to Borrelia burgdorferi, Anaplasma phagocitophilum and tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) virus, and risk factors, in forestry rangers from the Friuli-Venezia-Giulia region in northeastern Italy...
- Mertens M, Hofmann J, Petraityte Burneikiene R, Ziller M, Sasnauskas K, Friedrich R, et al. Seroprevalence study in forestry workers of a non-endemic region in eastern Germany reveals infections by Tula and Dobrava-Belgrade hantaviruses. Med Microbiol Immunol. 2011;200:263-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe a seroprevalence study in forestry workers from Brandenburg, eastern Germany, using IgG ELISA and immunoblot tests based on recombinant TULV, DOBV, ..
- Nepstad D, Schwartzman S, Bamberger B, Santilli M, Ray D, Schlesinger P, et al. Inhibition of Amazon deforestation and fire by parks and indigenous lands. Conserv Biol. 2006;20:65-73 pubmed..This success will depend on a broad base of political support. ..
- Asner G, Knapp D, Broadbent E, Oliveira P, Keller M, Silva J. Selective logging in the Brazilian Amazon. Science. 2005;310:480-2 pubmed..Each year, 27 million to 50 million cubic meters of wood were extracted, and a gross flux of approximately 0.1 billion metric tons of carbon was destined for release to the atmosphere by logging. ..
- Joppa L, Pfaff A. Reassessing the forest impacts of protection: the challenge of nonrandom location and a corrective method. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1185:135-49 pubmed publisher..While many factors will determine where new protected areas will be sited in the future, we claim that the variation across space in protection's impact on deforestation rates should inform site choice. ..
- Rittenhouse T, Semlitsch R, Thompson F. Survival costs associated with wood frog breeding migrations: effects of timber harvest and drought. Ecology. 2009;90:1620-30 pubmed
- Clark C, Poulsen J, Malonga R, Elkan P. Logging concessions can extend the conservation estate for Central African tropical forests. Conserv Biol. 2009;23:1281-93 pubmed publisher..In addition to limiting hunting, logging concessions must be large, contain patches of unlogged forest, and include forest with different logging histories. ..
- Akay A, Oguz H, Karas I, Aruga K. Using LiDAR technology in forestry activities. Environ Monit Assess. 2009;151:117-25 pubmed publisher..In the field of forestry, the LiDAR measurements of the forested areas can provide high-quality data on three-dimensional ..
- Matthews A, Matthews A. Survey of gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) and chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes troglodytes) in Southwestern Cameroon. Primates. 2004;45:15-24 pubmed..The creation of the Campo Ma'an National Park in January 2000 is an important measure to preserve the unique biodiversity in this so far hardly protected area. ..
- Douglas C, Ehlting J. Arabidopsis thaliana full genome longmer microarrays: a powerful gene discovery tool for agriculture and forestry. Transgenic Res. 2005;14:551-61 pubmed..basis for gene discovery in commercially important plants, and we have focused our attention on Populus trichocarpa (poplar), a species important in forestry and agroforestry for which complete genome sequence information is available.
- Zwolinski J, Chmielewska Badora J, Cisak E, Buczek A, Dutkiewicz J. [Prevalence of antibodies to Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Borrelia burgdorferi in forestry workers from the Lublin region]. Wiad Parazytol. 2004;50:221-7 pubmed..334 sera from forestry workers and 56 sera from blood donors (as a control group) were collected and examined for antibodies to A...
- Millar C, Stephenson N, Stephens S. Climate change and forests of the future: managing in the face of uncertainty. Ecol Appl. 2007;17:2145-51 pubmed..Priority-setting approaches (e.g., triage), appropriate for rapidly changing conditions and for situations where needs are greater than available capacity to respond, will become increasingly important in the future. ..
- Flint C. Changing forest disturbance regimes and risk perceptions in Homer, Alaska. Risk Anal. 2007;27:1597-608 pubmed
- Oliveira P, Asner G, Knapp D, Almeyda A, Galván Gildemeister R, Keene S, et al. Land-use allocation protects the Peruvian Amazon. Science. 2007;317:1233-6 pubmed..Although the region shows recent increases in disturbance and deforestation rates and leakage into forests surrounding concession areas, land-use policy and remoteness are serving to protect the Peruvian Amazon. ..
- Salo M, Toivonen T. Tropical timber rush in Peruvian Amazonia: spatial allocation of forest concessions in an uninventoried frontier. Environ Manage. 2009;44:609-23 pubmed publisherLand-use allocation has important implications for the conservation and management of tropical forests. Peru's forestry regime has recently been reformed and more than 7 million ha has been assigned as forest concessions...
- El Kassaby Y, Dunsworth B, Krakowski J. Genetic evaluation of alternative silvicultural systems in coastal montane forests: western hemlock and amabilis fir. Theor Appl Genet. 2003;107:598-610 pubmed..The pollination and dispersal mechanisms of the two species represent the most-likely factors causing these differences. Artificial regeneration may be utilized to augment the genetic resources of natural ingress...
- Aleck O, Stefania M, James T, James D, Ruth H, Lisa C, et al. The impact of fathers' physical and psychosocial work conditions on attempted and completed suicide among their children. BMC Public Health. 2006;6:77 pubmed..Exposure of fathers to adverse psychosocial work conditions during the first 16 years of their children's life was associated with greater odds for attempted and completed suicide among their children. ..
- Foster D, Orwig D. Preemptive and salvage harvesting of New England forests: when doing nothing is a viable alternative. Conserv Biol. 2006;20:959-70 pubmed..Nonetheless, there are many ecological benefits derived from leaving forests alone when they are affected or threatened by disturbances and pest and pathogen outbreaks. ..
- Peters S, Malcolm J, Zimmerman B. Effects of selective logging on bat communities in the southeastern Amazon. Conserv Biol. 2006;20:1410-21 pubmed..Our results suggest that even low-intensity logging modifies habitat structure, leading to changes in bat species composition. ..
- Naidoo R, Ricketts T. Mapping the economic costs and benefits of conservation. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e360 pubmed..It can help us understand the synergies between biodiversity conservation and economic development when the two are indeed aligned and to clearly understand the trade-offs when they are not. ..
- Wunder S. The efficiency of payments for environmental services in tropical conservation. Conserv Biol. 2007;21:48-58 pubmed..A PES scheme can thus benefit both buyers and sellers while improving the resource base, but it is unlikely to fully replace other conservation instruments. ..
- Gullison R, Frumhoff P, Canadell J, Field C, Nepstad D, Hayhoe K, et al. Environment. Tropical forests and climate policy. Science. 2007;316:985-6 pubmed
- Hall A. Better RED than dead: paying the people for environmental services in Amazonia. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2008;363:1925-32 pubmed publisher..These challenges are being addressed by the federal government in cooperation with civil society with a view to scaling up Proambiente into a national programme. ..
- Bush T. Biodiversity and sectoral responsibility in the development of Swedish Forestry Policy, 1988-1993. Scand J Hist. 2010;35:471-98 pubmed publisherIn 1993 the Swedish parliament deregulated national forestry policy and established an environmental goal in parallel with the previous, long-standing goal of high wood production...
- Stenbacka F, Hjältén J, Hilszczański J, Dynesius M. Saproxylic and non-saproxylic beetle assemblages in boreal spruce forests of different age and forestry intensity. Ecol Appl. 2010;20:2310-21 pubmedCurrent clear-cutting forestry practices affect many boreal organisms negatively, and those dependent on dead wood (saproxylics) are considered as particularly vulnerable...
- Sørensen R, Ring E, Meili M, Högbom L, Seibert J, Grabs T, et al. Forest harvest increases runoff most during low flows in two boreal streams. Ambio. 2009;38:357-63 pubmed..Large relative changes in low flow may influence the ecosystem by altering the aquatic habitat. ..
- Ostry A, Maggi S, Tansey J, Dunn J, Hershler R, Chen L, et al. The impact of psychosocial work conditions on attempted and completed suicide among western Canadian sawmill workers. Scand J Public Health. 2007;35:265-71 pubmed..This study indicates that workers with poor psychosocial working conditions may be at increased risk of both attempted and completed suicide. ..
- Griesser M, Nystrand M, Eggers S, Ekman J. Impact of forestry practices on fitness correlates and population productivity in an open-nesting bird species. Conserv Biol. 2007;21:767-74 pubmedIn the boreal forests of Fennoscandia, over 99% of forest area has been altered by forestry practices, which has created forest with age structures and stand characteristics that differ from primary forest stands...
- Parviainen J, Frank G. Protected forests in Europe approaches-harmonising the definitions for international comparison and forest policy making. J Environ Manage. 2003;67:27-36 pubmed..Protection by voluntary contracts between parties is a workable model concept for European forestry based on private forest ownership...
- Chazdon R. Beyond deforestation: restoring forests and ecosystem services on degraded lands. Science. 2008;320:1458-60 pubmed publisher..New forests will require adaptive management as dynamic, resilient systems that can withstand stresses of climate change, habitat fragmentation, and other anthropogenic effects. ..
- Lee P, Smyth C, Boutin S. Quantitative review of riparian buffer width guidelines from Canada and the United States. J Environ Manage. 2004;70:165-80 pubmed..In the future, two management trends are likely to continue, the shift towards more complicated guidelines and the expansion to larger-scale, watershed planning of riparian areas. ..
- Agrawal A, Chhatre A, Hardin R. Changing governance of the world's forests. Science. 2008;320:1460-2 pubmed publisher..A greater role for community and market actors in forest governance and deeper attention to the factors that lead to effective governance, beyond ownership patterns, is necessary to address future forest governance challenges. ..