food processing industry
Summary: The productive enterprises concerned with food processing.
- Peixoto F, Martins F, Amaral C, Gomes Laranjo J, Almeida J, Palmeira C. Evaluation of olive oil mill wastewater toxicity on the mitochondrial bioenergetics after treatment with Candida oleophila. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2008;70:266-75 pubmed publisher..However, supplementary treatment should be applied before OMW could be considered non-toxic. ..
- Mavros M, Xekoukoulotakis N, Mantzavinos D, Diamadopoulos E. Complete treatment of olive pomace leachate by coagulation, activated-carbon adsorption and electrochemical oxidation. Water Res. 2008;42:2883-8 pubmed publisher..The final effluent was also colorless and solids free. However, the treated effluent still exhibited ecotoxicity possibly due to the formation of ecotoxic oxidation products. ..
- Jones D, Musgrove M. Identification of enterobacteriaceae on vacuum loaders in shell egg processing. Poult Sci. 2008;87:1678-81 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study can be used in assessing the sources of bacterial contamination in egg processing and in developing more effective, targeted cleaning programs for processing equipment and facilities. ..
- Banyko J, Vyletelová M. Determining the source of Bacillus cereus and Bacillus licheniformis isolated from raw milk, pasteurized milk and yoghurt. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009;48:318-23 pubmed publisher..Despite the limited number of strains analysed, the two Bacillus species yielded adequately detectable banding profiles, permitting differentiation of bacteria at the strain level and showing their diversity throughout dairy processing. ..
- Rhoades J, Duffy G, Koutsoumanis K. Prevalence and concentration of verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli, Salmonella enterica and Listeria monocytogenes in the beef production chain: a review. Food Microbiol. 2009;26:357-76 pubmed publisher..The influence of animal type, animal age, feed and housing on pathogen carriage has also been examined. The significance of non-O157 serotypes of VTEC and their detection and classification are discussed. ..
- Azizoglu R, Osborne J, Wilson S, Kathariou S. Role of growth temperature in freeze-thaw tolerance of Listeria spp. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:5315-20 pubmed publisher..The negative impact of growth at low temperature on freeze-thaw stress was unexpected and has not been reported before with this or other psychrotrophic microorganisms...
- Rosas P, Reyes G. [Design of a HACCP plan for the industrial process of frozen sardines]. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2009;59:310-7 pubmed..The control measures of PCC are referred as control of time-temperature during transportation and processing, monitoring of ice supplies and sanitary conditions in the process. ..
- Ankolekar C, Labbé R. Physical characteristics of spores of food-associated isolates of the Bacillus cereus group. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:982-4 pubmed publisher..These characteristics indicate that spores of food-associated B. thuringiensis and not only B. cereus sensu stricto have high potential to adhere to inert surfaces. ..
- Xu B, Chang S, Liu Z, Yuan S, Zou Y, Tan Y. Comparative studies on the chemical and cell-based antioxidant activities and antitumor cell proliferation properties of soy milk manufactured by conventional and commercial UHT methods. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:3558-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that various thermal processing methods change not only phytochemcials but also potential health-promoting effects of soy milk. ..
- Nucera D, Lomonaco S, Bianchi D, Decastelli L, Grassi M, Bottero M, et al. A five year surveillance report on PFGE types of Listeria monocytogenes isolated in Italy from food and food related environments. Int J Food Microbiol. 2010;140:271-6 pubmed publisher..More comprehensive databases may be needed to fully understand L. monocytogenes diversity and to provide useful data to be considered in epidemiological investigations. ..
- Nyman P, Wamer W, Begley T, Diachenko G, Perfetti G. Evaluation of accelerated UV and thermal testing for benzene formation in beverages containing benzoate and ascorbic acid. J Food Sci. 2010;75:C263-7 pubmed publisher..Except for cranberry juice, retail beverages were not found to contain detectable amounts of benzene (<0.05 ng/g) at the end of their shelf lives. ..
- Monfort S, Gayán E, Raso J, Condon S, Alvarez I. Evaluation of pulsed electric fields technology for liquid whole egg pasteurization. Food Microbiol. 2010;27:845-52 pubmed publisher..The occurrence of cell damage due to PEF in the Salmonella population opens the possibility of designing combined processes enabling increased microbial lethality in LWE. ..
- Esteves A, Aymerich T, Garriga M, Patarata L, Fontes M, Martins C. Tracing Salmonella in Alheira processing plants. J Appl Microbiol. 2007;103:1-10 pubmed..SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THIS STUDY: Increased awareness of Salmonella spp. contamination sources and their spread across the production line helps shape the development of new strategies for controlling this pathogen. ..
- Delgado Moreno L, Sánchez Moreno L, Peña A. Assessment of olive cake as soil amendment for the controlled release of triazine herbicides. Sci Total Environ. 2007;378:119-23 pubmed..In conclusion, the addition of olive cake behaves as a promising method for reducing the risk of groundwater pollution by pesticides. ..
- Ho A, Lappi V, Wiedmann M. Longitudinal monitoring of Listeria monocytogenes contamination patterns in a farmstead dairy processing facility. J Dairy Sci. 2007;90:2517-24 pubmed..Preventing cross contamination between dairy production and processing facilities and control of persistent L. monocytogenes are thus critical to assuring the microbial safety of farmstead dairy products. ..
- de la Fuente C, Clemente R, Bernal M. Changes in metal speciation and pH in olive processing waste and sulphur-treated contaminated soil. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2008;70:207-15 pubmed..Organic waste addition did not decrease soil pH; the acidifying effect of S(0) did not change metal fractionation in the soil. ..
- Mukhopadhyay S, Tomasula P, Luchansky J, Porto Fett A, Call J. Removal of Salmonella Enteritidis from commercial unpasteurized liquid egg white using pilot scale cross flow tangential microfiltration. Int J Food Microbiol. 2010;142:309-17 pubmed publisher..Microbial removal efficiency was at least, on average, 6.8Log(10)CFU/mL (limit of detection < or =0.5Log(10)CFU/mL). Functional property analysis indicated that the MF process did not alter the foaming power of LEW. ..
- Kwiatek K, Zasadny R, Wojdat E. [Thermotolerant Campylobacter occurrence in slaughtering animals]. Przegl Epidemiol. 2006;60:347-52 pubmed..from poultry the most frequent was C. jejuni (59.1%), followed by C. coli (34.2%) and C. lari (6.3%). A few isolates strains from pork or beef carcasses were classified as C. coli (3.4%) or C. jejuni (0.9%). ..
- White K, Heikkila K, Williams R, Levin L, Lockey J, Rice C. Diacetyl exposures at four microwave popcorn plants. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2010;7:185-93 pubmed publisher..614 to 0.061 ppm. Further work at these facilities to better characterize diacetyl exposure was not possible, as substitution resulted in diacetyl being removed from the product. ..
- Sangave P, Gogate P, Pandit A. Combination of ozonation with conventional aerobic oxidation for distillery wastewater treatment. Chemosphere. 2007;68:32-41 pubmed..The integrated process (ozone-aerobic oxidation-ozone) achieved approximately 79% COD reduction along with discoloration of the effluent sample as compared to 34.9% COD reduction for non-ozonated sample, over a similar treatment period. ..
- Meijster T, Tielemans E, de Pater N, Heederik D. Modelling exposure in flour processing sectors in the Netherlands: a baseline measurement in the context of an intervention program. Ann Occup Hyg. 2007;51:293-304 pubmed..The predictive exposure models will provide a relevant measure of average personal exposure that will be used in the sector wide health surveillance system. ..
- Winter C, Brockmann S, Sonnentag S, Schaupp T, Prager R, Hof H, et al. Prolonged hospital and community-based listeriosis outbreak caused by ready-to-eat scalded sausages. J Hosp Infect. 2009;73:121-8 pubmed publisher..Hospital food suppliers should guarantee the absence of L. monocytogenes in ready-to-eat meat products, controlled through optimised quality assurance. ..
- Sierra J, Martí E, Garau M, Cruañas R. Effects of the agronomic use of olive oil mill wastewater: field experiment. Sci Total Environ. 2007;378:90-4 pubmed..However, temporary nitrogen immobilisation, increase in salinity values and in phenolic compounds concentrations, both sorbed and soluble forms, have also been observed. Phenolic compounds have been rapidly biodegraded in soil. ..
- Lupien J. Prevention and control of food safety risks: the role of governments, food producers, marketers, and academia. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16 Suppl 1:74-9 pubmed..This includes appropriate laboratory facilities to perform necessary analysis of foods for risk and quality factors, and to carry out a wide range of food science, toxicological and related research. ..
- Altekruse S, Berrang M, Marks H, Patel B, Shaw W, Saini P, et al. Enumeration of Escherichia coli cells on chicken carcasses as a potential measure of microbial process control in a random selection of slaughter establishments in the United States. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:3522-7 pubmed publisher..1 CFU/ml had lower overall prevalence of Salmonella and mean log(10) Campylobacter CFU/ml than sample sets with higher means. These findings regarding reductions in E. coli numbers provide insight relevant to microbial process control. ..
- Czerwińska D, Czerniawska A. [Sodium intake including salt as its source in selected Warsaw population]. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2007;58:205-10 pubmed..The amount of sodium from products salted due to technological reasons and present naturally in foods is high enough to meet requirements for this nutrient. ..
- Mai T, Conner D. Effect of temperature and growth media on the attachment of Listeria monocytogenes to stainless steel. Int J Food Microbiol. 2007;120:282-6 pubmed..The attachment of L. monocytogenes to stainless steel surface was greater when cultivated in rich medium of BHI vs starved in the minimal medium. ..
- Krakowiak A, Walusiak J, Krawczyk P, Wiszniewska M, Dudek W, Wittczak T, et al. IL-18 levels in nasal lavage after inhalatory challenge test with flour in bakers diagnosed with occupational asthma. Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2008;21:165-72 pubmed publisher..The observed higher concentrations of IL-18 in nasal washings after ICHT as well as the increase in the proportion of basophils provide evidence for the important role of IL-18 in persistent allergic inflammation. ..
- Smith D, Northcutt J, Cason J, Hinton A, Buhr R, Ingram K. Effect of external or internal fecal contamination on numbers of bacteria on prechilled broiler carcasses. Poult Sci. 2007;86:1241-4 pubmed..2). External contamination resulted in higher numbers of bacteria after carcass washing, but carcasses with internal contamination still have higher numbers of bacteria after washing than carcasses without applied contamination. ..
- Ozbay A, Demirer G. Cleaner production opportunity assessment for a milk processing facility. J Environ Manage. 2007;84:484-93 pubmed..36% of the chemical use and the discharge of 181.9 kg/day of chemical oxygen demand (COD) and 20.7 kg/day of total suspended solids (TSS) could be eliminated and 19.6% of the service water used could be recycled/reused. ..
- Ribeiro A, Machado A, Kozakiewicz Z, Ryan M, Luke B, Buddie A, et al. Fungi in bottled water: a case study of a production plant. Rev Iberoam Micol. 2006;23:139-44 pubmed..In order to improve quality control a HACCP programme was implemented and Best Practice Guidelines introduced. ..
- Johannessen G, Johnsen G, Okland M, Cudjoe K, Hofshagen M. Enumeration of thermotolerant Campylobacter spp. from poultry carcasses at the end of the slaughter-line. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2007;44:92-7 pubmed..Campylobacter-positive layer flocks had low numbers of Campylobacter on the carcasses. The results indicate limited cross-contamination of Campylobacter between flocks at the slaughterhouse, reducing the advantage of logistic slaughter. ..
- Kim S, Wei C. Biofilm formation by multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype typhimurium phage type DT104 and other pathogens. J Food Prot. 2007;70:22-9 pubmed..These findings indicated that Salmonella Typhimurium DT104 alongwith other bacterial pathogens could be a source of cross-contamination during handling and processing of food. ..
- Segovia Bravo K, Arroyo López F, Garcia Garcia P, Duran Quintana M, Garrido Fernandez A. Reuse of ozonated alkaline solutions as fermentation brines in Spanish green table olives. J Food Sci. 2007;72:M126-33 pubmed..Overall quality was fairly similar for olives from the traditional process and those from the reused TAW. Direct (or diluted) reuse of AW was also possible but produced a more bitter tasting olive...
- Cheriyan S, Abraham E. Enzymatic bioremediation of cashew nut shell liquid contamination. J Hazard Mater. 2010;176:1097-100 pubmed publisher..These beads are active and stable in aqueous media, can be used to prepare a mild, nontoxic, ecofriendly, cost effective hand wash solution for the removal of phenolic stains. ..
- Lipscomb H, Dement J, Epling C, McDonald M, Schoenfisch A. Are we failing vulnerable workers? The case of black women in poultry processing in rural North Carolina. New Solut. 2007;17:17-40 pubmed
- Boran G, Regenstein J. Optimization of gelatin extraction from silver carp skin. J Food Sci. 2009;74:E432-41 pubmed publisher..3 cP viscosity, and 80.8% gelatin recovery. The data suggest that silver carp skin gelatin is similar to those of fish gelatins currently being exploited commercially. ..
- Arvanitoyannis I, Varzakas T. Vegetable waste treatment: comparison and critical presentation of methodologies. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2008;48:205-47 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, methods like distillation and ozonation (high cost) and electrolysis (experimental level) have not been employed in the field. Finally, new waste management technologies have been described. ..
- Pietri A, Zanetti M, Bertuzzi T. Distribution of aflatoxins and fumonisins in dry-milled maize fractions. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 2009;26:372-80 pubmed publisher..As regards cleaned maize, a different distribution of the two toxins was observed in the kernels: AFB(1) contamination was more superficial and concentrated in germ, while FB(1) contamination affected the inner layers of the kernels. ..
- Peyrat M, Soumet C, Maris P, Sanders P. Recovery of Campylobacter jejuni from surfaces of poultry slaughterhouses after cleaning and disinfection procedures: analysis of a potential source of carcass contamination. Int J Food Microbiol. 2008;124:188-94 pubmed publisher..These results add to our understanding of poultry carcass contamination and highlight the need to develop ways of reducing the risk of human infection with Campylobacter through the consumption of poultry products. ..
- Tsai W, Lee M, Chang J, Su T, Chang Y. Characterization of bio-oil from induction-heating pyrolysis of food-processing sewage sludges using chromatographic analysis. Bioresour Technol. 2009;100:2650-4 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, the compositions in the non-condensable gas products were principally carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and methane analyzed by gas chromatography-thermal conductivity detector (GC-TCD). ..
- Petrovay F, Balla E. Two fatal cases of psittacosis caused by Chlamydophila psittaci. J Med Microbiol. 2008;57:1296-8 pubmed publisher..This report emphasizes the need for rapid differential diagnosis and management of suspected cases of atypical pneumonia to prevent fatal outcomes. ..
- van der Fels Klerx H, Tromp S, Rijgersberg H, van Asselt E. Application of a transmission model to estimate performance objectives for Salmonella in the broiler supply chain. Int J Food Microbiol. 2008;128:22-7 pubmed publisher..The model estimations may support policy-makers in their decision-making process with regard to microbiological food safety. ..
- Sheen S, Hwang C. Modeling transfer of Listeria monocytogenes from slicer to deli meat during mechanical slicing. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2008;5:135-46 pubmed publisher..This study showed the initial step for the development of surface transfer model and discussed the factors that might need to be considered and included in future study to expand the model applications. ..
- Slimani N, Deharveng G, Southgate D, Biessy C, Chajes V, van Bakel M, et al. Contribution of highly industrially processed foods to the nutrient intakes and patterns of middle-aged populations in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009;63 Suppl 4:S206-25 pubmed publisher..The greater variations observed within southern countries may reflect both a larger contribution of non/moderately processed staple foods along with a move from traditional to more industrialized dietary patterns. ..
- Sormunen E, Remes J, Hassi J, Pienimaki T, Rintamaki H. Factors associated with self-estimated work ability and musculoskeletal symptoms among male and female workers in cooled food-processing facilities. Ind Health. 2009;47:271-82 pubmed
- Petruzzelli A, Blasi G, Masini L, Calza L, Duranti A, Santarelli S, et al. Occurrence of Listeria monocytogenes in salami manufactured in the Marche Region (Central Italy). J Vet Med Sci. 2010;72:499-502 pubmed..2 and 27.4% of non-acceptable samples, respectively. No correlations were identified between occurrence of L. monocytogenes and the main parameters or the manufacturing processes. ..
- Hinsz V, Nickell G, Park E. The role of work habits in the motivation of food safety behaviors. J Exp Psychol Appl. 2007;13:105-14 pubmed..A mediation analysis indicated that the work routines measure accounted for the variance in self-reported behavior and mediated any effect of the habit strength measure. ..
- Egilman D, Mailloux C, Valentin C. Popcorn-worker lung caused by corporate and regulatory negligence: an avoidable tragedy. Int J Occup Environ Health. 2007;13:85-98 pubmed
- Asefa D, Kure C, Gjerde R, Omer M, Langsrud S, Nesbakken T, et al. Fungal growth pattern, sources and factors of mould contamination in a dry-cured meat production facility. Int J Food Microbiol. 2010;140:131-5 pubmed publisher..Technical solutions and organized production activities that reduce crack formation, airborne spore concentration and improve air circulation in the facility are recommended as intervention measures. ..
- Röder M, Ibach A, Baltruweit I, Gruyters H, Janise A, Suwelack C, et al. Pilot plant investigations on cleaning efficiencies to reduce hazelnut cross-contamination in industrial manufacture of cookies. J Food Prot. 2008;71:2263-71 pubmed
- Sahud H, Binns H, Meadow W, Tanz R. Marketing fast food: impact of fast food restaurants in children's hospitals. Pediatrics. 2006;118:2290-7 pubmed
- Becker K, Parsons R, Kolodinsky J, Matiru G. A cost and returns evaluation of alternative dairy products to determine capital investment and operational feasibility of a small-scale dairy processing facility. J Dairy Sci. 2007;90:2506-16 pubmed..Economic success in processing is greatly contingent upon individual business, financial management, and marketing skills. ..