Summary: The application of knowledge to the food industry.
- Korehei R, Kadla J. Incorporation of T4 bacteriophage in electrospun fibres. J Appl Microbiol. 2013;114:1425-34 pubmed publisher..These results are significant in the context of controlling and preventing bacterial infections in perishable foods during storage. ..
- Innocente N, Biasutti M. Automatic milking systems in the Protected Designation of Origin Montasio cheese production chain: effects on milk and cheese quality. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:740-51 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the milking system does not appear to modify the distinctive characteristics of this cheese that remain dependent on the area and methodology of production. ..
- Van Lancker F, Adams A, De Kimpe N. Impact of the N-terminal amino acid on the formation of pyrazines from peptides in Maillard model systems. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:4697-708 pubmed publisher..It is clear that different mechanisms must be responsible for this observation. This study clearly illustrates the capability of peptides to produce flavor compounds such as pyrazines. ..
- Esmerino E, Cruz A, Pereira E, Rodrigues J, Faria J, Bolini H. The influence of sweeteners in probiotic Petit Suisse cheese in concentrations equivalent to that of sucrose. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:5512-21 pubmed publisher..None of the sweeteners used in this study exerted a negative effect on the viability of the starter or probiotic cultures, and thus we were able to obtain a probiotic, functional food with reduced calorie content. ..
- Ojeda A, Villavicencio I, Linares Z. [Phytic phosphorus and phytase activity in cereal-based infant formulas]. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2012;62:370-4 pubmed..8%). PhyA was only detected in ATS, T and ATM (152, 300 and 570 U/kg, respectively). The chemical composition complied with the manufacturer report, with a high content of PPhy and PhyA associated to the wheat presence in the formula. ..
- Bradshaw M, Barril C, Clark A, Prenzler P, Scollary G. Ascorbic acid: a review of its chemistry and reactivity in relation to a wine environment. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2011;51:479-98 pubmed publisher..Limitations in existing knowledge, especially regarding the crossover between the antioxidant and pro-oxidant roles of ascorbic acid, are identified. ..
- Atkins P. The material histories of food quality and composition. Endeavour. 2011;35:74-9 pubmed publisher..Adulteration was a particularly interesting aspect of composition in the nineteenth century and was the key to the emergence of two different traditions of understanding and valuing food quality. ..
- Sousdaleff M, Baesso M, Medina Neto A, Nogueira A, Marcolino V, Matioli G. Microencapsulation by freeze-drying of potassium norbixinate and curcumin with maltodextrin: stability, solubility, and food application. J Agric Food Chem. 2013;61:955-65 pubmed publisher..Both microencapsulated colorants showed relevant results for use in a wide range of pH and food applications. The PAS technique was useful for the evaluation of the stability of free and microencapsulated colorants. ..
- Grobe A, Rissanen M. Nanotechnologies in agriculture and food - an overview of different fields of application, risk assessment and public perception. Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric. 2012;4:176-86 pubmed..Communicative recommendations are directed at researchers, the food industry and regulators in order to increase trust both in stakeholders, risk management and regulatory processes. ..
- Senjen R. Nanotechnology and patents - how can potential risks be assessed?. Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric. 2012;4:245-9 pubmed..Intervention' points along the innovation chain are explored, where an expanded risk assessment could be applied, with a particular focus on the patent system. ..
- Baiano A, Terracone C, Longobardi F, Ventrella A, Agostiano A, Del Nobile M. Effects of different vinification technologies on physical and chemical characteristics of Sauvignon blanc wines. Food Chem. 2012;135:2694-701 pubmed publisher..Grape oenological expression can be strongly affected by the application of the investigated wine-making procedures. ..
- Islas Rubio A, Hernández Zepeda A, Calderón de la Barca A, Ballesteros Vásquez M, Granados Nevárez M, Vásquez Lara F. [Formulation and elaboration of low-energy and high fiber-containing brownies]. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2012;62:185-91 pubmed..The incorporation of inulin in the production of brownies allowed to reduce the caloric value and to increase the soluble fiber content without adverse effects in texture of the pastries. ..
- Wu D, Sun D. Potential of time series-hyperspectral imaging (TS-HSI) for non-invasive determination of microbial spoilage of salmon flesh. Talanta. 2013;111:39-46 pubmed publisher..The research demonstrated that TS-HSI technique has a potential for rapid and non-destructive determination of bacterial spoilage in salmon flesh during the spoilage process...
- Li Q, Yu C, Zhang Q. [Research on Raman spectra quantitative analysis model of ethanol aqueous solution based on net analyte signal]. Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi. 2013;33:390-4 pubmed..Because the model established by the NAS-MLR method is simple and stable, it is possible to develop the portable measurement instruments in future. ..
- Hickey C, Bhatt T. Proceedings of the November 2011 Traceability Research Summit: this report is the third in a series on Traceability Summits sponsored by IFT beginning in July 2011. J Food Sci. 2013;78 Suppl 2:B15-20 pubmed publisher..Overall, participants refined the goals of the summit group and started to identify specific ways to achieve those goals. ..
- Chen X, Zhao Y, Shen H, Zhou L, Pan S, Jin M. Fast determination of seven synthetic pigments from wine and soft drinks using magnetic dispersive solid-phase extraction followed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2014;1346:123-8 pubmed publisher..95-42.6?g/L), and erythrosine in one out of fifteen dry red wine samples (3.22?g/L), respectively. It was confirmed that the NH2-LDC-MP was a kind of highly effective M-dSPE materials for the pigments analyses. ..
- Zheng Y, Jassbi A, Xiao J. Introduction to the 1st International Symposium on Phytochemicals in Medicine and Food (ISPMF 2015). J Agric Food Chem. 2016;64:2439-41 pubmed publisher..As supported by Prof. Thomas F. Hofmann, a special issue on Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (ACS) for the 1st ISPMF was initiated in January 2015. ..
- Sun X, Zhang C, Dong J, Wu M, Zhang Y, Xiao D. Enhanced leavening properties of baker's yeast overexpressing MAL62 with deletion of MIG1 in lean dough. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012;39:1533-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that increasing alpha-glucosidase activity is sufficient to improve maltose fermentation in lean dough. ..
- Colnago L, Azeredo R, Marchi Netto A, Andrade F, Venancio T. Rapid analyses of oil and fat content in agri-food products using continuous wave free precession time domain NMR. Magn Reson Chem. 2011;49 Suppl 1:S113-20 pubmed publisher..The objective of this paper was to present the physical background of CWFP and review its recent developments and applications in fat and oil quantifications in agri-food products. ..
- Myung K, Manthey J, Narciso J. Biotransformations of 6',7'-dihydroxybergamottin and 6',7'-epoxybergamottin by the citrus-pathogenic fungi diminish cytochrome P450 3A4 inhibitory activity. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012;22:2279-82 pubmed publisher..The inhibitory activity of 4 towards human intestinal cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) was greatly decreased (IC(50) >172.0 ?M) compared to 2 (IC(50)=0.81 ?M). ..
- Sonkaria S, Ahn S, Khare V. Nanotechnology and its impact on food and nutrition: a review. Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric. 2012;4:8-18 pubmed..As food regulators respond to the potential threat of nanomaterials guided by toxicity studies, we also discuss recent developments and initiatives being adopted to ensure the safe use of nanomaterials based on current predictions. ..
- Douaire M, Norton I. Designer colloids in structured food for the future. J Sci Food Agric. 2013;93:3147-54 pubmed publisher..Such novel improvements, as?well as their potential translation into commercial food products, are highlighted?in this paper, which focuses primarily on the areas of emulsion technologies and?hydrocolloids. ..
- Taneja A, Singh H. Challenges for the delivery of long-chain n-3 fatty acids in functional foods. Annu Rev Food Sci Technol. 2012;3:105-23 pubmed publisher..This review also looks at the challenges faced by health organizations, food manufacturers, and food scientists for the delivery of long-chain n-3 fatty acids in functional foods. ..
- Orrego C, Salgado N, Botero C. Developments and trends in fruit bar production and characterization. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2014;54:84-97 pubmed publisher..Given the wide range of bioactive factors in fresh fruits that are preserved in fruit bars, it is plausible that their uptake consumption have a positive effect in reducing the risk of many diseases. ..
- Lu X, Luo Z, Fu X, Xiao Z. Two-step method of enzymatic synthesis of starch laurate in ionic liquids. J Agric Food Chem. 2013;61:9882-91 pubmed publisher..After reaction, the ionic liquid was effectively recycled and reused. This paper explores the potential of ionic liquids as solvent for the enzymatic synthesis of long-chain fatty acid starch esters. ..
- Jala R, Xu X, Guo Z. Enzymatic production of trans fatty acid free fat from partially hydrogenated soybean oil (PHSO)--theory, strategy and practicability. Food Chem. 2013;141:1934-40 pubmed publisher..CAL-A was found to have a selectivity factor 4.26 and to maximally remove 73.3% of total TFAs at 46.5% hydrolysis degree. ..
- Toohey E, van de Ven R, Thompson J, Geesink G, Hopkins D. SmartStretch™ technology. II. Improving the tenderness of leg meat from sheep using a meat stretching device. Meat Sci. 2012;91:125-30 pubmed publisher..001). SmartStretch™ provided significant improvements in tenderness of the individual muscles. ..
- Campbell R, Drake M. Invited review: The effect of native and nonnative enzymes on the flavor of dried dairy ingredients. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:4773-83 pubmed publisher..These enzymes and their possible contributions will be discussed in this review. Understanding the sources of flavor is crucial to produce bland, flavorless ingredients. ..
- Kim J, Jung Y, Bong Y, Lee K, Hwang G. Determination of the geographical origin of kimchi by (1)H NMR-based metabolite profiling. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012;76:1752-7 pubmed..These results establish biochemical profiles for kimchi extracts, and indicate that metabolomics can be used in the discrimination of food origins. ..
- Banville V, Morin P, Pouliot Y, Britten M. Physical properties of pizza Mozzarella cheese manufactured under different cheese-making conditions. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:4804-15 pubmed publisher..Understanding and controlling milk standardization, curd acidification, and cheese aging are essential for the production of Mozzarella cheese with desirable shreddability and meltability. ..
- Sgarbi E, Lazzi C, Tabanelli G, Gatti M, Neviani E, Gardini F. Nonstarter lactic acid bacteria volatilomes produced using cheese components. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:4223-34 pubmed publisher..This study can be considered a first step toward a better understanding of how microbiota involved in the long ripening of cheese may contribute to the development of cheese flavor. ..
- Sanchez Macias D, Laubscher A, Castro N, Arguello A, Jimenez Flores R. Effects of supercritical fluid extraction pressure on chemical composition, microbial population, polar lipid profile, and microstructure of goat cheese. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:1325-34 pubmed publisher..The Majorero cheese obtained after the supercritical fluid extraction treatment was an excellent candidate as a low-fat goat cheese, lower in triglycerides and cholesterol but still with all the health benefits inherent in goat milk. ..
- Zhou G, Zhang W, Xu X. China's meat industry revolution: challenges and opportunities for the future. Meat Sci. 2012;92:188-96 pubmed publisher..This review will highlight some milestone changes of the Chinese meat industry and discuss challenges and opportunities ahead in the global market for China. ..
- Giménez M, Gonzalez R, Wagner J, Torres R, Lobo M, Sammán N. Effect of extrusion conditions on physicochemical and sensorial properties of corn-broad beans (Vicia faba) spaghetti type pasta. Food Chem. 2013;136:538-45 pubmed publisher..The critical gelatinisation point was 46.55%; beyond that point, the quality of the product declines...
- Farjami T, Madadlou A, Labbafi M. Modulating the textural characteristics of whey protein nanofibril gels with different concentrations of calcium chloride. J Dairy Res. 2016;83:109-14 pubmed publisher..Higher ash contents also led to higher water holding capacity of gels which was attributed to the influence of the strongly hydrated calcium ions that interacted with the non-charged regions of proteins via site-specific interactions. ..
- Bjarnadóttir S, Hollung K, Høy M, Bendixen E, Codrea M, Veiseth Kent E. Changes in protein abundance between tender and tough meat from bovine longissimus thoracis muscle assessed by isobaric Tag for Relative and Absolute Quantitation (iTRAQ) and 2-dimensional gel electrophoresis analysis. J Anim Sci. 2012;90:2035-43 pubmed publisher
- Ahmad A, Arshad N, Ahmed Z, Bhatti M, Zahoor T, Anjum N, et al. Perspective of surface active agents in baking industry: an overview. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2014;54:208-24 pubmed publisher..This review reveals some aspects of surface-active agents regarding its role physiochemical properties of dough that in turn affect the bread characteristics by improving its sensory quality and storage stability. ..
- ..The paper closes with some observations on current challenges, and the steps that, in my opinion, we must take to meet them. ..
- Rodríguez García J, Puig A, Salvador A, Hernando I. Optimization of a sponge cake formulation with inulin as fat replacer: structure, physicochemical, and sensory properties. J Food Sci. 2012;77:C189-97 pubmed publisher..Sponge cake formulations with reductions in fat content up to 70% are achieved. These high-quality products can be labeled as "reduced in fat" according to U.S. FDA (2009) and EU regulations (European-Union 2006). ..
- López Castejón M, de la Fuente J, Ruiz M, Guerrero A. Influence of the presence of monoglyceride on the interfacial properties of soy protein isolate. J Sci Food Agric. 2012;92:2618-23 pubmed publisher..The results obtained indicate that SPI shows excellent potential to favour stabilisation of air/water and oil/water interfaces in food systems. ..
- Borgogna M, Bellich B, Cesaro A. Marine polysaccharides in microencapsulation and application to aquaculture: "from sea to sea". Mar Drugs. 2011;9:2572-604 pubmed publisher..Finally, a practical case study of specific interest, the use of marine polysaccharide matrices for encapsulation of vaccines in aquaculture, is reported. ..
- Apolinar Valiente R, Williams P, Romero Cascales I, Gómez Plaza E, López Roca J, Ros García J, et al. Polysaccharide composition of Monastrell red wines from four different Spanish terroirs: effect of wine-making techniques. J Agric Food Chem. 2013;61:2538-47 pubmed publisher..This study shows the great importance of the "terroir effect" in the polysaccharide composition of wines. ..
- Lalonde B, Ernst W. Analysis of benthic invertebrate communities as a function of distance from two fish-processing plant effluent discharges in New Brunswick, Canada. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2012;63:45-53 pubmed publisher..The study results suggest that taxa richness and density may be affected by effluent from fish-processing plants. ..
- Kubra I, Rao L. An impression on current developments in the technology, chemistry, and biological activities of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe). Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2012;52:651-88 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required for the validation of the beneficial uses. Formulation for novel products and new usages may emerge in the years to come, based on the revealed results of various studies...
- Liu H, Zhang C, Zhang H, Guo H, Wang P, Zhu Y, et al. pH treatment as an effective tool to select the functional and structural properties of yak milk caseins. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:5494-500 pubmed publisher..0-10.0) should be selected for optimum production. These results suggested that pH-dependent treatment could be used to modify the properties of yak milk caseins by appropriate selection of the pH level. ..
- Flysjo A. Potential for improving the carbon footprint of butter and blend products. J Dairy Sci. 2011;94:5833-41 pubmed publisher..The greatest share of greenhouse gas emissions associated with butter production occurred at the farm level; thus, minimizing product losses in the whole value chain--from cow to consumer--is essential for efficient production. ..
- Shackelford S, King D, Wheeler T. Chilling rate effects on pork loin tenderness in commercial processing plants. J Anim Sci. 2012;90:2842-9 pubmed publisher..05). This research shows that differences in chilling systems among pork packing plants can have a strong influence on loin chop tenderness. ..