Genomes and Genes
Summary: Substances or materials used in the course of housekeeping or personal routine.
- Medina Ramón M, Zock J, Kogevinas M, Sunyer J, Torralba Y, Borrell A, et al. Asthma, chronic bronchitis, and exposure to irritant agents in occupational domestic cleaning: a nested case-control study. Occup Environ Med. 2005;62:598-606 pubmed..The public health impact of the use of irritant cleaning products could be widespread since the use of these products is common both in the workplace and at home. ..
- Singer B, Destaillats H, Hodgson A, Nazaroff W. Cleaning products and air fresheners: emissions and resulting concentrations of glycol ethers and terpenoids. Indoor Air. 2006;16:179-91 pubmed
- Reiner J, Kannan K. A survey of polycyclic musks in selected household commodities from the United States. Chemosphere. 2006;62:867-73 pubmed..The highest concentrations were found in perfumes, body creams and lotions, and deodorants. The results suggest that a wide variety of source materials exist for HHCB and AHTN, and that these materials are used on a daily basis. ..
- Arif A, Hughes P, Delclos G. Occupational exposures among domestic and industrial professional cleaners. Occup Med (Lond). 2008;58:458-63 pubmed publisher..The results from this qualitative study are consistent with earlier findings from quantitative studies placing domestic cleaners at risk of exposure to chemicals that are respiratory irritants and/or sensitizers. ..
- Levy S. Antibacterial household products: cause for concern. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:512-5 pubmed..As with antibiotics, prudent use of these products is urged. Their designated purpose is to protect vulnerable patients. ..
- Zhu J, Cao X, Beauchamp R. Determination of 2-butoxyethanol emissions from selected consumer products and its application in assessment of inhalation exposure associated with cleaning tasks. Environ Int. 2001;26:589-97 pubmed..075 and 0.186 mg (kg b.w.)(-1) day(-1) for two all-purpose spray cleaners, and 0.004 and 0.006 mg (kg b.w.)(-1) day(-1) for two-spray glass cleaners, respectively. ..
- Weegels M, van Veen M. Variation of consumer contact with household products: a preliminary investigation. Risk Anal. 2001;21:499-511 pubmed..Although diaries and home visits are time-consuming, the combination provided insight into variation as well as relations among frequency, duration, and amount of use. ..
- Cole E, Addison R, Rubino J, Leese K, Dulaney P, Newell M, et al. Investigation of antibiotic and antibacterial agent cross-resistance in target bacteria from homes of antibacterial product users and nonusers. J Appl Microbiol. 2003;95:664-76 pubmed..It refutes widely publicized, yet unsupported, hypotheses that use of antibacterial products facilitates the development of antibiotic resistance in bacteria from the home environment. ..
- Beesoon S, Genuis S, Benskin J, Martin J. Exceptionally high serum concentrations of perfluorohexanesulfonate in a Canadian family are linked to home carpet treatment applications. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:12960-7 pubmed publisher..The high PFHxS and moderately high PFOS concentrations in serum and household samples are consistent with the known PFAS content of certain Scotchgard formulations, and exposure was likely through dust ingestion and/or inhalation. ..
- Maier T. On phenomenology and classification of hoarding: a review. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2004;110:323-37 pubmed..The condition needs to be evaluated carefully in every particular case in relation to the aforementioned psychopathological concepts. ..
- Takano H. [Study of acute poisoning at facilities for aged persons]. Chudoku Kenkyu. 2008;21:337-43 pubmed
- Cory C, Jones M. Development of a simulation system for performing in situ surface tests to assess the potential severity of head impacts from alleged childhood short falls. Forensic Sci Int. 2006;163:102-14 pubmed..In conclusion, the authors suggest that in future investigations, the response of the entire surface mixture be taken into account when forming an opinion on the injury potential of short falls. ..
- Kagle J, Porter A, Murdoch R, Rivera Cancel G, Hay A. Biodegradation of pharmaceutical and personal care products. Adv Appl Microbiol. 2009;67:65-108 pubmed publisher..The degradation pathways of octylphenol by Sphingomonas sp. strain PWE1, ibuprofen by Sphingomonas sp. strain Ibu-2, and DEET by Pseudomonas putida DTB are discussed in more detail. ..
- Farage M, Stadler A, Chassard D, Pelisse M. A randomized prospective trial of the cutaneous and sensory effects of feminine hygiene wet wipes. J Reprod Med. 2008;53:765-73 pubmed..An opportunity exists to tailor the lotion level on the wipes m to the genital skin condition and preferences of younger and older Women. ..
- Woodard R, Bench M, Harder M. The development of a UK kerbside scheme using known practice. J Environ Manage. 2005;75:115-27 pubmed..Details on participation and set-out for different groups of materials are given, as well as levels of excess waste and participation in the collection of garden waste. ..
- Richardson B, Lam P, Martin M. Emerging chemicals of concern: pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) in Asia, with particular reference to Southern China. Mar Pollut Bull. 2005;50:913-20 pubmed
- Maillard J, Bloomfield S, Coelho J, Collier P, Cookson B, Fanning S, et al. Does microbicide use in consumer products promote antimicrobial resistance? A critical review and recommendations for a cohesive approach to risk assessment. Microb Drug Resist. 2013;19:344-54 pubmed publisher..The article also identifies key research questions where there are inadequate data, which, if addressed, could promote improved knowledge and understanding to assess any related risks for consumer and environmental safety. ..
- Passalacqua N, De Fine G, Guarrera P. Contribution to the knowledge of the veterinary science and of the ethnobotany in Calabria region (Southern Italy). J Ethnobiol Ethnomed. 2006;2:52 pubmed..Until some decades ago the road network was poorly developed and villages were isolated, so that the culture of the "subsistence" and some archaic customs were kept...
- Hodges J, Holmes C, Vamshi R, Mao D, Price O. Estimating chemical emissions from home and personal care products in China. Environ Pollut. 2012;165:199-207 pubmed publisher..Linking product sales data with population density increased the observed variability in absolute usage distribution of HPC products at the county > province > regional > country scale. ..
- Mugge R, Schoormans J. Product design and apparent usability. The influence of novelty in product appearance. Appl Ergon. 2012;43:1081-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, novices are more likely to use the level of novelty as a cue for a product's apparent usability than experts. ..
- Panthee S. General scenario of poisoning and its pattern in India. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2005;24:485 pubmed
- Baird J, Curry R, Reid T. Development and application of a multiple linear regression model to consider the impact of weekly waste container capacity on the yield from kerbside recycling programmes in Scotland. Waste Manag Res. 2013;31:306-14 pubmed publisher..We hope that the research can provide insights for the further development of methods to optimise the design and operation of kerbside recycling programmes. ..
- Zilker T. [Acute intoxication in adults - what you should know]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2014;139:31-46; quiz 43-6 pubmed publisherIngestion of household products and plants are the leading cause for calls to the poison control centres as far as children are involved...
- Kwon J, Yang Y, Kang M, Seo G, Lee D, Yang M, et al. Pulmonary toxicity screening of triclosan in rats after intratracheal instillation. J Toxicol Sci. 2013;38:471-5 pubmedTriclosan (TCS) is a chemical compound used in household products as biocide. However, their pulmonary toxicity has been unclear...
- Deziel N, Viet S, Rogers J, Camann D, Marker D, Heikkinen M, et al. Comparison of wipe materials and wetting agents for pesticide residue collection from hard surfaces. Sci Total Environ. 2011;409:4442-8 pubmed publisher..0008). Though the TI was superior in terms of both accuracy and precision, it requires multiple preparation steps, which could lead to operational challenges in a large-scale study. ..
- Lakade S, Borrull F, Furton K, Kabir A, Marce R, Fontanals N. Dynamic fabric phase sorptive extraction for a group of pharmaceuticals and personal care products from environmental waters. J Chromatogr A. 2016;1456:19-26 pubmed publisher..The analysis of samples revealed the presence of some PPCPs at low ngL(-1) concentrations. ..
- Fathelrahman A, Ab Rahman A, Mohd Zain Z. Self-poisoning by drugs and chemicals: variations in demographics, associated factors and final outcomes. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2008;30:467-70 pubmed publisher..Indian patients were more likely to use household products, whereas Malay and Chinese patients were more likely to take drug overdoses (P=.001)...
- Carthew P, Clapp C, Gutsell S. Exposure based waiving: the application of the toxicological threshold of concern (TTC) to inhalation exposure for aerosol ingredients in consumer products. Food Chem Toxicol. 2009;47:1287-95 pubmed publisher..Such an approach is consistent with the concept of developing 'intelligent testing strategies' for REACH. ..
- Renner R. Canada bans fluoropolymer stain repellents. Environ Sci Technol. 2005;39:56A-57A pubmed
- Jewkes R, Gumede T, Westaway M, Dickson K, Brown H, Rees H. Why are women still aborting outside designated facilities in metropolitan South Africa?. BJOG. 2005;112:1236-42 pubmed..The willingness of women to self-medicate and visit traditional healers in these circumstances may influence the overall ability of the new legislation to reduce abortion morbidity. ..
- Howard C, Ducre B, Burda A, Kubic A. Management of chlorine gas exposure. J Emerg Nurs. 2007;33:402-4 pubmed
- Jin J, Wang Z, Ran S. Estimating the public preferences for solid waste management programmes using choice experiments in Macao. Waste Manag Res. 2006;24:301-9 pubmed..The study concludes that choice experiment is a reliable tool in the analysis of respondents' preferences for developing a suitable solid waste management programme in Macao. ..
- Mucci N, Alessi M, Binetti R, Magliocchi M. [Profile of acute poisoning in Italy. Analysis of the data reported by Poison Centres]. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 2006;42:268-76 pubmed..7%); 1-4 year age group presents the highest risk (37.0%), followed by 20-49 group (25.8%); drugs and household products are the prevalent causes of intoxications (37.4% and 26.0%, respectively); home is the place where 84...
- Akdur O, Durukan P, Ikizceli I, Ozkan S, Avsarogullari L. A rare complication of chlorine gas inhalation: pneumomediastinum. Emerg Med J. 2006;23:e59 pubmed..Chlorine gas is a potent pulmonary irritant that causes acute damage in both the upper and lower respiratory tract. ..
- Larsbo M, Lapen D, Topp E, Metcalfe C, Abbaspour K, Fenner K. Simulation of pharmaceutical and personal care product transport to tile drains after biosolids application. J Environ Qual. 2009;38:1274-85 pubmed publisher..This process should be considered in solute transport models that are used for environmental risk assessments for such compounds. ..
- Liu X, Mason M, Krebs K, Sparks L. Full-scale chamber investigation and simulation of air freshener emissions in the presence of ozone. Environ Sci Technol. 2004;38:2802-12 pubmed..The method has the potential to provide data to predict the impact of O3/VOC interactions on indoor air quality. ..
- Hertwich E. Life cycle approaches to sustainable consumption: a critical review. Environ Sci Technol. 2005;39:4673-84 pubmed..Life-cycle approaches still need to be developed and tested. Current research is mostly descriptive; policy makers, however, require more strategic analysis addressing their decision options, including scenario analysis and backcasting. ..
- Velez I, Mintz S. Soft tissue plasmacytosis. A case report. N Y State Dent J. 2005;71:48-50 pubmed..This report presents an unusual case of soft-tissue plasmacytosis in a totally edentulous patient, which may have been related to the use of a household and kitchen cleaning solution on the prostheses. ..
- Sher L, Taylor D, Robinson J, Browning J, Colbridge M, MacLeod D, et al. The epidemiology of chemical eye exposures reported to the Victorian Poisons Information Centre. Eur J Emerg Med. 2012;19:389-94 pubmed publisher..05). Most exposures are of little consequence. However, there are clear epidemiological differences between sex and age groups. These findings will help inform prevention strategies. ..
- Lapen D, Topp E, Metcalfe C, Li H, Edwards M, Gottschall N, et al. Pharmaceutical and personal care products in tile drainage following land application of municipal biosolids. Sci Total Environ. 2008;399:50-65 pubmed publisher..Tile mass loads as a percent of PPCP mass applied to soil ranged from 4.2%+/-SD of 9.2% to 7.1%+/-10.9% for the AerWay system and surface spreading plus incorporation treatments, respectively. ..
- Starek A, Szabla J. [Ethylene glycol alkyl ethers--the substances noxious to health]. Med Pr. 2008;59:179-85 pubmed..2-ethoxyethanol, 2-isopropoxyethanol, and 2-butoxyethanol, are widely used in a variety of industrial and household products. They are found in a number of paints, varnishes, engine fuels, hydraulic fluids, and also in many household ..
- Medrano Félix A, Martinez C, Castro del Campo N, Leon Felix J, Peraza Garay F, Gerba C, et al. Impact of prescribed cleaning and disinfectant use on microbial contamination in the home. J Appl Microbiol. 2011;110:463-71 pubmed publisher..Prescribed protocols constitute an important tool to reduce the occurrence of potential disease-causing micro-organisms in households. ..
- Diogo L, Papoila A. Is it possible to characterize objectively sensitive skin?. Skin Res Technol. 2010;16:30-7 pubmed publisher..The results of our study did not enable us to establish a clear discrimination between sensitive and non-sensitive skin, which once again underlines the subjective nature of this condition. ..
- Isama K, Kawakami T, Nishimura T. [Migration of eight harmful elements from household products made with synthetic resin that infants may swallow by mistake]. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2011;131:1135-40 pubmed..However, the levels of migrated harmful elements from household products that are not infants toys are not controlled, since they are not covered by the law or standard...
- Naldi L, Cazzaniga S, Goncalo M, Diepgen T, Bruze M, Elsner P, et al. Prevalence of self-reported skin complaints and avoidance of common daily life consumer products in selected European Regions. JAMA Dermatol. 2014;150:154-63 pubmed publisher..Although itchy rash is a nonspecific manifestation, it may be considered in epidemiological surveys to reflect a constellation of skin conditions and to summarize the burden of these conditions on general health. ..
- Tosti A, Voudouris S, Pazzaglia M. Contact sensitization to 5-chloro-2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one and 2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one in children. Contact Dermatitis. 2003;49:215-6 pubmed
- Yao B, Peng Y, Zhang D. Simultaneous Contact Sensing and Characterizing of Mechanical and Dynamic Heat Transfer Properties of Porous Polymeric Materials. Materials (Basel). 2017;10: pubmed publisher..polymeric materials, such as textile fabrics, are elastic and widely used in our daily life for garment and household products. The mechanical and dynamic heat transfer properties of porous polymeric materials, which describe the ..