Summary: Various material objects and items in the home. It includes temporary or permanent machinery and appliances. It does not include furniture or interior furnishings (FURNITURE see INTERIOR DESIGN AND FURNISHINGS; INTERIOR FURNISHINGS see INTERIOR DESIGN AND FURNISHINGS).
- Kampmann Y, De Clerck E, Kohn S, Patchala D, Langerock R, Kreyenschmidt J. Study on the antimicrobial effect of silver-containing inner liners in refrigerators. J Appl Microbiol. 2008;104:1808-14 pubmed publisher..Silver prevents refrigerators from being a hot spot for contaminants that could be transferred upon contact with food. This study provides original results regarding the antimicrobial activity of silver-containing refrigerator surfaces. ..
- Nygård L, Starkhammar S, Lilja M. The provision of stove timers to individuals with cognitive impairment. Scand J Occup Ther. 2008;15:4-12 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that improvements in the implementation and provision of stove timers could be achieved through education and collaboration between different stakeholders. ..
- Hu Y, Bakker M, Brem G, Chen G. Controlled combustion tests and bottom ash analysis using household waste with varying composition. Waste Manag. 2011;31:259-66 pubmed publisher..Overall, it has been shown that changes in quality and content of bottom ashes may be traced back to the varied input waste composition. ..
- Laing T, O Sullivan J, Nugent N, O Shaughnessy M, O Sullivan S. Paediatric ride-on mower related injuries and plastic surgical management. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011;64:638-42 pubmed publisher..Such presentations place intense demands on local plastic surgical services. ..
- Çevik G. American style or Turkish chair: the triumph of bodily comfort. J Des Hist. 2010;23:367-85 pubmed
- Hodgetts D, Chamberlain K, Gabe J, Dew K, Radley A, Madden H, et al. Emplacement and everyday use of medications in domestic dwellings. Health Place. 2011;17:353-60 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that, as well as being pharmacological objects, medications are complex, socially embedded objects with histories and memories that are ingrained within contemporary relationships of care and home-making practices. ..
- Handysides J, Handysides S. Stains on the carpet. BMJ. 2005;331:1501 pubmed
- Barnes D, Clark F, Baguley P, Brady N. Self inflicted neck injury with an electric drill. Injury. 2002;33:635-8 pubmed
- Matheson M, Dharmage S, Forbes A, Raven J, Woods R, Thien F, et al. Residential characteristics predict changes in Der p 1, Fel d 1 and ergosterol but not fungi over time. Clin Exp Allergy. 2003;33:1281-8 pubmed..Ergosterol levels were reduced by removing visible mould and fitted carpet. These findings provide evidence to support current advice with regard to allergen avoidance in patients with dust mite and fungal allergies. ..
- Ekerdt D, Baker L. The material convoy after age 50. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2014;69:442-50 pubmed publisher..Inertia toward the material convoy maintains the availability and comfort of things, but it may also lead to a predicament wherein the collection becomes a worry for self and others. ..
- Kleinerman R, Linet M, Hatch E, Tarone R, Black P, Selker R, et al. Self-reported electrical appliance use and risk of adult brain tumors. Am J Epidemiol. 2005;161:136-46 pubmed..Overall, results indicate that extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields from commonly used household appliances are unlikely to increase the risk of brain tumors. ..
- Keil C, Kassa H, Fent K. Kitchen hood performance in food service operations. J Environ Health. 2004;67:25-30 pubmed..Quantitative assessment of flow rates is time consuming and is probably not feasible for all inspections. Periodic inspections of hoods on heavy-duty operations could be a workable way to reduce risks. ..
- Kakareka S, Kukharchyk T, Khomich V. Study of PAH emission from the solid fuels combustion in residential furnaces. Environ Pollut. 2005;133:383-7 pubmed..Draft PAH emission factors are proposed with intended application for emission inventory of such installations. ..
- Arganbright J, Bruegger D, Sykes K, Wei J. Wire grill brush bristle as an unusual foreign body: report of two pediatric cases. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:685-7 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we raise a consumer safety issue associated with the use of wire grill-cleaning brushes as there are currently no ingestion hazard warnings on these products. Laryngoscope,, 2011. ..
- Guofeng S, Siye W, Wen W, Yanyan Z, Yujia M, Bin W, et al. Emission factors, size distributions, and emission inventories of carbonaceous particulate matter from residential wood combustion in rural China. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:4207-14 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the measured EFs, total emissions of PM, OC, and EC from residential wood combustion in rural China in 2007 were estimated at about 303, 75.7, and 92.0 Gg. ..
- Lanningham Foster L, Nysse L, Levine J. Labor saved, calories lost: the energetic impact of domestic labor-saving devices. Obes Res. 2003;11:1178-81 pubmed..Efforts focused on reversing sedentariness have the potential to impact obesity. ..
- Frank M, Franke E, Schönekess H, Jorczyk J, Bockholdt B, Ekkernkamp A. Ballistic parameters and trauma potential of direct-acting, powder-actuated fastening tools (nail guns). Int J Legal Med. 2012;126:217-22 pubmed publisher..Hence, the much-cited comparison to the ballistic parameters of a cal. 22 handgun might be understated and a comparison to the widespread and well-known cal. 9 mm Luger might be more appropriate. ..
- Day R, Bradberry S, Sandilands E, Thomas S, Thompson J, Vale J. Toxicity resulting from exposure to oven cleaners as reported to the UK National Poisons Information Service (NPIS) from 2009 to 2015. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2017;55:645-651 pubmed publisher..Those patients exposed dermally, ophthalmically or by inhalation developed features more frequently (?85%) than those who ingested a product directly (56%). ..
- Schnelle Kreis J, Orasche J, Abbaszade G, Schäfer K, Harlos D, Hansen A, et al. Application of direct thermal desorption gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry for determination of nonpolar organics in low-volume samples from ambient particulate matter and personal samplers. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2011;401:3083-94 pubmed publisher..e. a micro aethalometer, in Xi'an, China. Quantitative data on n-alkanes, hopanes, and PAH were obtained from sample volumes of 17 and 24 l. The impact of different sources such as vehicular and biogenic emissions could be distinguished. ..
- ..CDC research found detectable levels of bisphenol A (BPA) in samples from 93% of individuals 6 years and older. ..
- Zhang Y, Ma X, Lu P, Li H, Lu X. [Determination of bisphenol A in plastic parts of small household appliances by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry]. Se Pu. 2012;30:95-8 pubmed..8%. The limit of detection was 10 ?g/kg. The method is easy-handling, time-saving, sensitive and suitable for the determination of the residual bisphenol A in the plastic parts of household appliances. ..
- Lambdin B, Schmaedick M, McClintock S, Roberts J, Gurr N, Marcos K, et al. Dry season production of filariasis and dengue vectors in American Samoa and comparison with wet season production. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;81:1013-9 pubmed publisher..The high productivity for Ae. polynesiensis and Ae. aegypti pupae during the wet and dry seasons suggests that dengue and lymphatic filariasis transmission can occur throughout the year, consistent with the reporting of dengue cases. ..
- Schmidt C. On the surface: a good idea for killing germs. Environ Health Perspect. 2002;110:A128 pubmed
- Bailis R, Ezzati M, Kammen D. Greenhouse gas implications of household energy technology in Kenya. Environ Sci Technol. 2003;37:2051-9 pubmed..Policy implications and options for environment and public health are discussed. ..
- Mulvaney C, Kendrick D. Do maternal depressive symptoms, stress and a lack of social support influence whether mothers living in deprived circumstances adopt safety practices for the prevention of childhood injury?. Child Care Health Dev. 2006;32:311-9 pubmed..Further work is required to explore the effects of chronic maternal depressive symptoms on the adoption of safety practices. ..
- Sauer J, Wiese B, Rüttinger B. Designing low-complexity electrical consumer products for ecological use. Appl Ergon. 2003;34:521-31 pubmed..The implications of the results for product design are discussed against the background of a strong prevalence of habits and low ecological user motivation. ..
- Leitgeb N, Cech R, Schröttner J. Electromagnetic field spectral evaluation problems in exposure assessment. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2007;124:124-9 pubmed..There is an urgent need to clarify this discrepancy. ..
- Young K, Mitsopoulos Rubens E, Rudin Brown C, Lenne M. The effects of using a portable music player on simulated driving performance and task-sharing strategies. Appl Ergon. 2012;43:738-46 pubmed publisher..Overall, results suggest that performing music search tasks while driving is problematic and steps to prohibit this activity should be taken. ..
- Gershuny J. Domestic equipment does not increase domestic work: a response to Bittman, Rice and Wajcman. Br J Sociol. 2004;55:425-31 pubmed
- Odemis E, Karadag A, Tonbul A, Degirmencioglu H, Dogan G, Turkay S. Is rug shampoo forgotten but continuing risk factor for Kawasaki disease?. Med Hypotheses. 2007;68:1416-7 pubmed
- Bauer R, Sector M. Preventive product safety--monitoring accidental injuries related to consumer products in the European Union. Inj Control Saf Promot. 2003;10:253-5 pubmed
- Edwards R, Liu Y, He G, Yin Z, Sinton J, Peabody J, et al. Household CO and PM measured as part of a review of China's National Improved Stove Program. Indoor Air. 2007;17:189-203 pubmed..It is probable that low-emission technologies involving gaseous/liquid fuels or high combustion - efficiency biomass stoves need to be promoted in order to achieve these standards for the greater part of the population. ..
- Foster E, Matthews J, Lloyd J, Marshall L, Mathers J, Nelson M, et al. Children's estimates of food portion size: the development and evaluation of three portion size assessment tools for use with children. Br J Nutr. 2008;99:175-84 pubmed..Before practical application in assessment of dietary intake of children the tool would need to be expanded to cover a wider range of foods and to be validated in a 'real-life' situation. ..
- Thambiraj D, Chounthirath T, Smith G. Microwave oven-related injuries treated in hospital EDs in the United States, 1990 to 2010. Am J Emerg Med. 2013;31:958-63 pubmed publisher..Microwave ovens are an important source of injury in the home in the United States. The large increases in the number and rate of these injuries underscore the need for increased prevention efforts, especially among young children. ..
- Furyk J, Franklin R, Costello D. Ceiling fan head injury to children in an Australian tropical location. J Paediatr Child Health. 2013;49:480-5 pubmed publisher..Significant injuries are possible with 5% of patients having a positive finding on CT scan. Most fractures are palpable, CT is recommended if fracture cannot be confidently excluded clinically. ..
- Zhi G, Chen Y, Feng Y, Xiong S, Li J, Zhang G, et al. Emission characteristics of carbonaceous particles from various residential coal-stoves in China. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:3310-5 pubmed
- Shilt J, Yoder J, Manuck T, Jacks L, Rushing J, Smith B. Role of vacuum-assisted closure in the treatment of pediatric lawnmower injuries. J Pediatr Orthop. 2004;24:482-7 pubmed..There were no complications or adverse reactions related to VAC treatment. The VAC system is a safe and effective method of treating soft tissue injuries resulting from lawnmower accidents in children. ..
- Wiebe D. Guns in the home: risky business. LDI Issue Brief. 2003;8:1-4 pubmed
- Gore R, Durrell B, Bishop S, Curbishley L, Woodcock A, Custovic A. High-efficiency vacuum cleaners increase personal mite allergen exposure, but only slightly. Allergy. 2006;61:119-23 pubmed..High-efficiency vacuum cleaners confer no benefit and cannot currently be recommended to allergy sufferers as a means of reducing personal mite allergen exposure. ..
- Nambu M, Nakajima K, Noshiro M, Tamura T. An algorithm for the automatic detection of health conditions. An image processing technique for diagnosing poor health in the elderly. IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag. 2005;24:38-42 pubmed
- Morales E, Julvez J, Torrent M, de Cid R, Guxens M, Bustamante M, et al. Association of early-life exposure to household gas appliances and indoor nitrogen dioxide with cognition and attention behavior in preschoolers. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;169:1327-36 pubmed publisher..Early-life exposure to air pollution from indoor gas appliances may be negatively associated with neuropsychological development through the first 4 years of life, particularly among genetically susceptible children. ..
- Ni H, Cao S, Chang W, Zeng H. Incidence of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in central air conditioner filter dust from a new office building. Environ Pollut. 2011;159:1957-62 pubmed publisher..This value was far below the reference dose (RfD) recommended by United States Environmental Protection Agency. Human exposure to PBDEs via dust inhalation and ingestion in the new building is less than the old ones. ..
- Webb E, Kuh D, Pajak A, Kubinova R, Malyutina S, Bobak M. Estimation of secular trends in adult height, and childhood socioeconomic circumstances in three Eastern European populations. Econ Hum Biol. 2008;6:228-36 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that secular trends in height mirror, but are not wholly explained by, trends in socioeconomic circumstances in early life. ..
- Lindén A, Lexell J, Lund M. Perceived difficulties using everyday technology after acquired brain injury: influence on activity and participation. Scand J Occup Ther. 2010;17:267-75 pubmed publisher..The results also indicate that difficulties using ET need to be considered in the design of community services to prevent societal barriers. ..
- Franco G, Gallay F, Berenguer M, Mourrain C, Couturier P. Non-invasive monitoring of the activities of daily living of elderly people at home--a pilot study of the usage of domestic appliances. J Telemed Telecare. 2008;14:231-5 pubmed publisher..Eating was the most accurately measured ADL; toileting and bathing results were less accurate. The system appears to be a promising component of home telecare. ..
- Parés J, Pérez González A, Rosas A, Benito A, Bermudez De Castro J, Carbonell E, et al. Matuyama-age lithic tools from the Sima del Elefante site, Atapuerca (northern Spain). J Hum Evol. 2006;50:163-9 pubmed..Units E9 through E13, all of which display reverse magnetic polarity, contain Mode I (Oldowan) lithic tools, testifying to the presence of humans in the early Pleistocene (0.78-1.77 Ma). ..
- Wolfe R. Death in heat waves: beware of fans. BMJ. 2003;327:1228 pubmed
- Carrasco L, Mena K, Mota L, Ortiz M, Behravesh C, Gibbs S, et al. Occurrence of faecal contamination in households along the US-Mexico border. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2008;46:682-7 pubmed publisher..There is a need for additional interventions regarding kitchen sanitation. ..
- Chowdhury M. Sustainable kerbside recycling in the municipal garbage contract. Waste Manag Res. 2009;27:988-95 pubmed publisher..However, before establishing such programs in partnership with a private firm, city administrators must understand the intricacies of bid specifications customized for municipal wastes and recyclable materials. ..