urban health services
Summary: Health services, public or private, in urban areas. The services include the promotion of health and the delivery of health care.
- Gessert C, Haller I, Kane R, Degenholtz H. Rural-urban differences in medical care for nursing home residents with severe dementia at the end of life. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54:1199-205 pubmed..Nonwhite race and stroke were associated with higher use of all services. Rural nursing home residence is associated with lower likelihood of use of the most-intensive medical services at the end of life. ..
- Fotso J, Ezeh A, Madise N, Ziraba A, Ogollah R. What does access to maternal care mean among the urban poor? Factors associated with use of appropriate maternal health services in the slum settlements of Nairobi, Kenya. Matern Child Health J. 2009;13:130-7 pubmed publisher..Women should be encouraged to attend antenatal care where they can be given advice on delivery care and other pregnancy-related issues. Target groups should include poorest, less educated and higher parity women. ..
- Apparicio P, Abdelmajid M, Riva M, Shearmur R. Comparing alternative approaches to measuring the geographical accessibility of urban health services: Distance types and aggregation-error issues. Int J Health Geogr. 2008;7:7 pubmed publisher..If these measures are not sufficiently precise, this could lead to errors or lack of precision in the estimation of residential area effects on health. ..
- Liu M, Zhang Q, Lu M, Kwon C, Quan H. Rural and urban disparity in health services utilization in China. Med Care. 2007;45:767-74 pubmed..In addition, access issues in remote areas and by rural minority Chinese population should be addressed. ..
- Perlick D, Nelson A, MATTIAS K, Selzer J, Kalvin C, Wilber C, et al. In our own voice-family companion: reducing self-stigma of family members of persons with serious mental illness. Psychiatr Serv. 2011;62:1456-62 pubmed publisher..031). Peer-led group interventions may be more effective in reducing family self-stigma than clinician-led education, at least for persons reporting experiencing low to moderate anxiety levels on a standard questionnaire ..
- Cunney A, O Kelly F. Housecalls in general practice. Ir Med J. 2012;105:170-1 pubmed..87 housecalls (87%) were to patients with multiple morbidities. With our ageing population it is likely that the housecall will not vanish from clinical practice. ..
- Chor J, Patil K, Goudar S, Kodkany B, Geller S. Provider insights on barriers and opportunities for birth spacing utilization in Karnataka, India. Health Care Women Int. 2012;33:1035-45 pubmed publisher..We elicited facilitators and barriers associated with peripartum contraceptive counseling and provision and identified an important opportunity to increase the use of postpartum contraception and improve birth spacing. ..
- Cook A, Grady A, Milton L. Experiences implementing a 6-month pilot of a 7-day community CNS service in an urban hospice in Scotland. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2012;18:407-12 pubmed..The pilot demonstrated the need for a CNS service 7 days a week, and the service is now embedded in practice. Seven-day working benefits patients and families while being valued by the professional team. ..
- Ornstein K, Hernandez C, DeCherrie L, Soriano T. The Mount Sinai (New York) Visiting Doctors Program: meeting the needs of the urban homebound population. Care Manag J. 2011;12:159-63 pubmed..Funded by Mount Sinai and private support, the program serves as a major teaching site for medical nursing, and social work trainees interested in home-based primary care. ..
- Jennings W, Spurling G, Askew D. Yarning about health checks: barriers and enablers in an urban Aboriginal medical service. Aust J Prim Health. 2014;20:151-7 pubmed publisher..Community-based health education and promotion is strongly supported by staff to increase client engagement, knowledge and acceptance of the health check. ..
- Kotwani A, Chhabra S, Tayal V, Vijayan V. Quality of asthma management in an urban community in Delhi, India. Indian J Med Res. 2012;135:184-92 pubmed..Thus, there is need to implement suitable interventions to improve asthma management according to standard treatment guidelines in the community. ..
- Jamal S, Alibhai S, Badley E, Bombardier C. Time to treatment for new patients with rheumatoid arthritis in a major metropolitan city. J Rheumatol. 2011;38:1282-8 pubmed publisher..Future resources should be focused on development and evaluation of interventions to facilitate rapid triage, referral, and assessment by a rheumatologist. ..
- Heard A, Nath D, Loevinsohn B. Contracting urban primary healthcare services in Bangladesh - effect on use, efficiency, equity and quality of care. Trop Med Int Health. 2013;18:861-70 pubmed publisher..Increased investments in PHC facilities and contracting with NGOs may be effective in improving urban health services.
- Gervits M, Anderson M. Community-oriented primary care (COPC) in Barcelona, Spain: an urban COPC experience. Int J Health Serv. 2014;44:383-98 pubmed..Despite these obstacles, COPC is flourishing in Barcelona. This experience may offer guidance for COPC implementation in the United States and other countries. ..
- Islam M, Aktar S. Measuring physical accessibility to health facilities--a case study on Khulna City. World Health Popul. 2011;12:33-41 pubmed..Exceptions are some peripheral areas, where average travel time to reach the city centre and distance from hospital services is greater. ..
- Wojcicki J, Geissler J, Stokes C, Heyman M, Tran C. The use of the RESPeRATE device to lower blood pressure in inner city obese adolescents and children: a pilot feasibility study. High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2013;20:89-92 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to assess the efficacy of the RESPeRATE device in lowering blood pressure and helping with weight loss/weight management in obese and overweight children. ..
- Ohl M, Perencevich E. Frequency of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing in urban vs. rural areas of the United States: results from a nationally-representative sample. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:681 pubmed publisher..2%-8.2%) in 2009 (P = 0.03). Rural persons are less likely than urban to report prior HIV testing, which may contribute to later HIV diagnosis in rural areas. There is need to consider strategies to increase HIV testing in rural areas. ..
- Baker A, Gilley J, James J, Kimani M. "High five to healthy living": a health intervention program for youth at an inner city community center. J Community Health. 2012;37:1-9 pubmed publisher..Such interventions could potentially decrease in the prevalence of certain preventable diseases endemic to many low socioeconomic inner city communities. ..
- Dasgupta P, Chakrabarti A, Halder D, Acharyya S, Gangopadhyay S. Results of diagnostic dilemma between lung cancer and sputum negative pulmonary tuberculosis: a retrospective study. J Indian Med Assoc. 2012;110:898-900 pubmed..High index of suspicion should also be maintained during treatment and follow-up of both smear positive and smear negative pulmonary tuberculosis as because the lung cancer may be preceded by or coexist with pulmonary tuberculosis. ..
- Spaulding R, Cain S, Sonnenschein K. Urban telepsychiatry: uncommon service for a common need. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2011;20:29-39 pubmed publisher..This article highlights the Kansas practice and reviews other urban applications of telepsychiatry. ..
- Jensen M, Lau A, Langlois Klassen D, Boffa J, Manfreda J, Long R. A population-based study of tuberculosis epidemiology and innovative service delivery in Canada. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:43-9, i pubmed publisher..Status Indians and the foreign-born are at increased risk of TB in Canada. Significant progress towards TB elimination has been made in Status Indians but not in the foreign-born. ..
- Bledsoe B, Anderson E, Hodnick R, Johnson L, Johnson S, Dievendorf E. Low-fractional oxygen concentration continuous positive airway pressure is effective in the prehospital setting. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2012;16:217-21 pubmed publisher..5% of patients' conditions were improved, 15.1% remained unchanged, and 13.4% were worse. CPAP using a low FiO(2) (28%-30%) was highly effective in the treatment of commonly encountered prehospital respiratory emergencies. ..
- Dinh M, McNamara K, Bein K, Roncal S, Barnes E, McBride K, et al. Effect of the elderly and increasing injury severity on acute hospital resource utilization in a cohort of inner city trauma patients. ANZ J Surg. 2013;83:60-4 pubmed publisher..An increasing effect of injury severity on cost was observed across minor and major trauma. Both injury severity and elderly patients have a significant impact on acute hospital costs across the spectrum of major and minor trauma. ..
- McCabe J, Armstrong E, Hoffmayer K, Bhave P, MacGregor J, Hsue P, et al. Impact of door-to-activation time on door-to-balloon time in primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarctions: a report from the Activate-SF registry. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012;5:672-9 pubmed..Delays in door-to-activation time are not associated with delays in other aspects of the primary percutaneous coronary intervention process. ..
- Cipriano L, Zaric G, Holodniy M, Bendavid E, Owens D, Brandeau M. Cost effectiveness of screening strategies for early identification of HIV and HCV infection in injection drug users. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45176 pubmed publisher..Screening individuals in ORT every 3-6 months for HIV infection using both antibody and viral RNA technologies and initiating ART for acute HIV infection appears cost effective. ..
- Wei A, Sandhu L, Devitt K, Gagliardi A, Kennedy E, Urbach D, et al. Practice patterns for the management of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer: a mixed methods analysis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013;20:1567-74 pubmed publisher..Patients who may benefit from surgery are not being referred for metastasectomy. We have identified an evidence-practice gap at the level of physician, which should be targeted with novel quality improvement strategies. ..
- Khan M, Grübner O, Kramer A. Frequently used healthcare services in urban slums of Dhaka and adjacent rural areas and their determinants. J Public Health (Oxf). 2012;34:261-71 pubmed publisher..As persons running pharmacies often provide poor quality of healthcare services, they need continuous training and back-up supports to improve their quality of services and to strengthen the overall healthcare system in Bangladesh. ..
- Patel K, Hargreaves M, Liu J, Kenerson D, Neal R, Takizala Z, et al. Factors influencing colorectal cancer screening in low-income African Americans in Tennessee. J Community Health. 2012;37:673-9 pubmed publisher..05). Educational interventions aimed at improving colorectal cancer knowledge and screening rates should incorporate information about obstacles and predictors to screening. ..
- Bourgeois N, Franke C, O Connor S, Shaw H, Hum S, Dunn S. Preparing for an influenza pandemic: model of an immunization clinic in an urban family practice. Can Fam Physician. 2011;57:e367-72 pubmed..This model requires the commitment of extra staffing resources if regular primary care delivery is to be maintained. ..
- Gan K, Zhang Y, Jiang X, Meng Y, Hou L, Cheng Y. Perspectives of Chinese healthcare providers on medical abortion. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011;114:15-7 pubmed publisher..Most healthcare providers believed that surgical abortion was preferable to medical abortion. Efforts should be made to overcome the perceived disadvantages of medical abortion. ..
- Meurer L, Young S, Meurer J, Johnson S, Gilbert I, Diehr S. The urban and community health pathway: preparing socially responsive physicians through community-engaged learning. Am J Prev Med. 2011;41:S228-36 pubmed publisher..The UCHP enriches the traditional curriculum with individualized, community-based experiences to build knowledge about health determinants and skills in partnering with communities to improve health. ..
- He J, Irazola V, Mills K, Poggio R, Beratarrechea A, Dolan J, et al. Effect of a Community Health Worker-Led Multicomponent Intervention on Blood Pressure Control in Low-Income Patients in Argentina: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:1016-1025 pubmed publisher..Despite extensive knowledge of hypertension treatment, the prevalence of uncontrolled hypertension is high and increasing in low- and middle-income countries...
- Chircop A. Public policy analysis to redress urban environmental health inequities. Policy Polit Nurs Pract. 2011;12:245-53 pubmed publisher..This policy analysis documents how the Day Care Act of Nova Scotia, Canada explicates patriarchal and neoliberal gender and class assumptions that have implications for mothers' health decisions. ..
- Garcia S, Drexel T, Bekwelem W, Raveendran G, Caldwell E, Hodgson L, et al. Early Access to the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory for Patients Resuscitated From Cardiac Arrest Due to a Shockable Rhythm: The Minnesota Resuscitation Consortium Twin Cities Unified Protocol. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5: pubmed publisher
- Eichler K, Imhof D, Chmiel C, Zoller M, Senn O, Rosemann T, et al. The provision of out-of-hours care and associated costs in an urban area of Switzerland: a cost description study. BMC Fam Pract. 2010;11:99 pubmed publisher..Policy makers should be interested in a reimbursement system promoting out-of-hours care run by GPs as one valuable service option. ..
- Reitz O, Kim M. Job embeddedness scoring: measurement equivalence between rural and urban nurses. Res Theory Nurs Pract. 2013;27:115-30 pubmed..Examination of these differences may lead to real strategies to retain nurses, thus mitigating the impact of the global nursing shortage. ..
- Averbach S, Hacker M, Yiu T, Modest A, Dimitrakoff J, Ricciotti H. Mycoplasma genitalium and preterm delivery at an urban community health center. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2013;123:54-7 pubmed publisher..02-14.78). M. genitalium colonization was not associated with preterm delivery among women with a high incidence of low birth weight newborns and preterm delivery, and a high prevalence of sexually transmitted infections. ..
- El Sayed M, Kue R, McNeil C, Dyer K. A descriptive analysis of occupational health exposures in an urban emergency medical services system: 2007-2009. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011;15:506-10 pubmed publisher..Efforts should continue to focus on proper respiratory protection to include eye protection in order to mitigate these exposure risks. ..
- Mukora R, Charalambous S, Dahab M, Hamilton R, Karstaedt A. A study of patient attitudes towards decentralisation of HIV care in an urban clinic in South Africa. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:205 pubmed publisher..There was consensus that training of nurses and improved health systems at the local clinics were needed if successful down-referral was to take place. ..
- Carranti B, Myers G, Bowers L, Satterly L. A description of patient characteristics, insurance status and travel distance at a free inner-city clinic. J N Y State Nurses Assoc. 2012;43:13-9 pubmed..These findings can help Amaus leadership direct volunteers and donations to enhance the services provided, and may assist other areas of the country to identify needs for enhanced access as changes occur in the health care system. ..
- Shacham E, Donovan M, Connolly S, Mayrose A, Scheuermann M, Overton E. Urban farming: a non-traditional intervention for HIV-related distress. AIDS Behav. 2012;16:1238-42 pubmed publisher..These findings support the development of a larger scale study to examine the impact of this nontraditional intervention. ..
- Perez X, Wisnivesky J, Lurslurchachai L, Kleinman L, Kronish I. Barriers to adherence to COPD guidelines among primary care providers. Respir Med. 2012;106:374-81 pubmed publisher..99). Poor familiarity with recommendations, low self-efficacy, and time constraints are important barriers to adherence to COPD guidelines. This information can be used to develop tailored interventions to improve guideline adherence. ..
- Arnetz J, Aranyos D, Ager J, Upfal M. Worker-on-worker violence among hospital employees. Int J Occup Environ Health. 2011;17:328-35 pubmed..Co-worker violence threatens the well-being of hospital employees and should be regularly tracked with other forms of workplace violence so that suitable intervention programs can be implemented and assessed. ..
- Osmers I, Winter M, Krieger S. [Trauma care - a global challenge. Experience gathered in a (trauma) center managing urban violence in Nigeria]. Unfallchirurg. 2011;114:268-72 pubmed publisher..The following is a report about the work in a hospital for surgical trauma care in Port Harcourt, Nigeria where victims of road traffic accidents are treated besides victims of urban violence. ..
- Moonzwe L, Schensul J, Kostick K. The role of MDMA (Ecstasy) in coping with negative life situations among urban young adults. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2011;43:199-210 pubmed
- Skoufalos A, Cecil K. The journey to creating safety net accountable care in New Jersey. Popul Health Manag. 2013;16 Suppl 1:S12-6 pubmed publisher..Their individual perspectives serve not only as an historical record of events but also as a guide for states seeking reference for implementing their own ACO framework. ..
- Ahmed S, Evans T, Standing H, Mahmud S. Harnessing pluralism for better health in Bangladesh. Lancet. 2013;382:1746-55 pubmed publisher..However, as pluralism increasingly defines the nature and the challenge of 21st century health systems, the experience of Bangladesh is relevant to many countries across the world. ..
- Pereira C, Boyd J, Dickenson B, Putnam B. Gunshot wounds to the face: level I urban trauma center: a 10-year level I urban trauma center experience. Ann Plast Surg. 2012;68:378-81 pubmed publisher..We present our 10-year experience at an urban level I trauma center to define the patterns of injury, assess the morbidity and mortality, and estimate the cost to the health care system...
- Reed J, Vaughn L, Pomerantz W. Attitudes and knowledge regarding emergency contraception among emergency department adolescents and providers. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012;28:775-9 pubmed publisher..0001). Older age trended toward more conservative responses (P = 0.05). Adolescents and nurses had more conservative attitudes toward EC than physicians. Further studies are needed to confirm the generalizability of these findings. ..
- Mays D, Sharff M, Demarco T, Williams B, BECK B, Sheppard V, et al. Outcomes of a systems-level intervention offering breast cancer risk assessments to low-income underserved women. Fam Cancer. 2012;11:493-502 pubmed publisher..More intensive patient navigation addressing the unique barriers encountered within this population may be required to enhance utilization. ..