directed tissue donation
Summary: Tissue, organ, or gamete donation intended for a designated recipient.
- . ASRM Practice Committee response to Rybak and Lieman: elective self-donation of oocytes. Fertil Steril. 2009;92:1513-4 pubmed publisher..The Practice Committee has and will continue to review the published medical literature relating to oocyte cryopreservation at regular intervals and is prepared to reconsider its position when evidence warrants. ..
- Freeman R. Survival benefit: quality versus quantity and trade-offs in developing new renal allocation systems. Am J Transplant. 2007;7:1043-6 pubmed
- Yamanouchi K, Takatsuki M, Hidaka M, Soyama A, Miyazaki K, Inokuma T, et al. Changes in quality of life after hepatectomy and living donor liver transplantation. Hepatogastroenterology. 2012;59:1569-72 pubmed publisher..Living donor liver transplantation was demonstrated to be a sensible therapeutic intervention for liver failure and malignances from the point of view of improvement in physical and mental quality of life. ..
- Xue W, Tian P, Ding X, Pan X, Yan H, Hou J, et al. Clinical research and social status investigation for donor and recipient of living-related kidney transplant. Int Urol Nephrol. 2013;45:239-49 pubmed publisher..It is important to improve selection criteria and health assessment of donors. Long-term follow-up is essential to ensure a healthy life for donors and recipients after kidney transplant. ..
- Perrin K, Jones B, Winkelman C. The co-existence of life and death for the perioperative nurse. Death Stud. 2013;37:789-802 pubmed..Nurses spoke of ways in which they contribute to this challenging work and draw on inner resources. ..
- Stewart C, Fleming J, Kerridge I. The law of gifts, conditional donation and biobanking. J Law Med. 2013;21:351-6 pubmed..The article also suggests ways that conditional donation could be regulated so as to balance the needs of researchers and the concerns of donors. ..
- Moorlock G, Ives J, Bramhall S, Draper H. Should We Reject Donated Organs on Moral Grounds or Permit Allocation Using Non-Medical Criteria?: A Qualitative Study. Bioethics. 2016;30:282-92 pubmed publisher..We draw a distinction between two types of waste - absolute and relative - and argue that accepting conditional donations may offer a balance between these forms of waste. ..
- Spielman B. Non-family directed donation: the perils of policy-making. Am J Bioeth. 2005;5:24-6 pubmed
- Chkhotua A, Klein T, Shabtai E, Yussim A, Bar Nathan N, Shaharabani E, et al. Kidney transplantation from living donors: comparison of results between related and unrelated donor transplants under new immunosuppressive protocols. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003;5:622-5 pubmed..5%) and LUD (89.8%, 87.8% and 87.8%) recipients. Despite HLA disparity, rejection and survival rates of living unrelated transplants under current immunosuppressive protocols are comparable to those of living related transplants. ..
- Crouch D. Changing the donation culture. Nurs Times. 2003;99:40-1 pubmed
- Fost N. Conception for donation. JAMA. 2004;291:2125-6 pubmed
- Wagner J, Kahn J, Wolf S, Lipton J. Preimplantation testing to produce an HLA-matched donor infant. JAMA. 2004;292:803-4; author reply 804 pubmed
- Cohen E, Rosendale J, Bong C, Hariharan S. Benefit of child-to-parent kidney donation. Am J Transplant. 2003;3:865-72 pubmed..We conclude that CTP kidney donation should not be discouraged, and represents a useful source of transplantable kidneys. ..
- Glenn Cohen I. S.H. and others v. Austria and circumvention tourism. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012;25:660-2 pubmed publisher..To the contrary, I show that, in many ways, permitting circumvention tourism for these services while prohibiting them domestically is deeply problematic. ..
- Hoyer J. A nondirected kidney donation and its consequences: personal experience of a transplant surgeon. Transplantation. 2003;76:1264-5 pubmed..The author experienced some unpleasant professional consequences of his act but, nevertheless, is convinced that he had taken the right step when deciding to give a kidney to a stranger. ..
- Turkmendag I. The donor-conceived child's "Right to Personal Identity": the public debate on donor anonymity in the United Kingdom. J Law Soc. 2012;39:58-72 pubmed..By basing its assumptions on an adoption analogy, United Kingdom law ascribes a social meaning to the genetic relatedness between gamete donors and the offspring. ..
- Cousins D, Barrett I, Kaplan C. Medicolegal issues in paediatric practice: proceedings of the 4th Northern Regional Paediatric Colloquium. Med Sci Law. 2004;44:75-9 pubmed..A series of such meetings have been held in the Northern region. We report the proceedings of the fourth meeting. Four cases were presented and the issues arising were debated. The key points from each discussion are described. ..
- Mazaris E, Crane J, Warrens A, Smith G, Tekkis P, Papalois V. Attitudes toward live donor kidney transplantation and its commercialization. Clin Transplant. 2011;25:E312-9 pubmed publisher..5%, 55.6%, and 20.7% were not in support of reward, compensation only, and financial reward, respectively. While live kidney donation was accepted by the majority of individuals surveyed, only the minority approved of commercialization. ..
- Ferrari P, Fidler S, Wright J, Woodroffe C, Slater P, Van Althuis Jones A, et al. Virtual crossmatch approach to maximize matching in paired kidney donation. Am J Transplant. 2011;11:272-8 pubmed publisher..The more prudent approach of excluding from matching recipients with DSA with >2000MFI reduces the probability of matched pairs having a positive crossmatch without significantly decreasing the number of possible transplants. ..
- Kahn J, Mastroianni A. Creating a stem cell donor: a case study in reproductive genetics. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2004;14:81-96 pubmed..This article describes the case, raises some ethical and policy issues, highlights gaps in U.S. policy, and finally makes some recommendations for addressing advancing genetic and reproductive technologies. ..
- Kraco K. Body bequest programs in Minnesota. Minn Med. 2004;87:8-9 pubmed
- Sugita J, Tanaka J, Hashimoto A, Shiratori S, Yasumoto A, Wakasa K, et al. Influence of conditioning regimens and stem cell sources on donor-type chimerism early after stem cell transplantation. Ann Hematol. 2008;87:1003-8 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that differences in conditioning regimens and stem cell sources should be taken into account when considering donor-type chimerism. ..
- Murphy K, Cohen J, Goodrich A, Long P, Griffin C. Constitutional duplication of a region of chromosome Yp encoding AMELY, PRKY, and TBL1Y: implications for sex chromosome analysis and bone marrow engraftment analysis. J Mol Diagn. 2007;9:408-13 pubmed..Although this and other genetic variants involving AMELY are uncommon, one should use caution when using amelogenin for sex chromosome analysis and bone marrow engraftment analysis. ..
- Murphy T. Gay and lesbian exceptions to the heterosexual rule. Am J Bioeth. 2005;5:18 pubmed
- Hershberger P. Recipients of oocyte donation: an integrative review. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2004;33:610-21 pubmed..Research involving the psychosocial aspects of donor oocyte recipient women is in the infancy stage. ..
- Steinberg D. The allocation of organs donated by altruistic strangers. Ann Intern Med. 2006;145:197-203 pubmed..Altruistic strangers should be educated to allocate their donated organs according to a prudent balance of equity and utility rather than their emotional response to a particular patient's plight, identity, or circumstances. ..
- Mathias J. Historic 5-way domino kidney swap. OR Manager. 2007;23:8-9 pubmed
- Al Khader A. A chat with a kidney donor. Ann Transplant. 2005;10:69-70 pubmed
- Ford P, Nicoletti T. My organs, my choice. Am J Bioeth. 2005;5:30-1 pubmed
- Saidman S, Roth A, Sönmez T, Unver M, Delmonico F. Increasing the opportunity of live kidney donation by matching for two- and three-way exchanges. Transplantation. 2006;81:773-82 pubmed..A computerized matching protocol can be used to identify donor/recipient pairs from a registry of incompatible pairs who can potentially enter into donor exchanges that otherwise would not readily occur. ..
- Brownsword R. Reproductive opportunities and regulatory challenges. Mod Law Rev. 2004;67:304-21 pubmed
- Donnez J, Dolmans M, Squifflet J, Kerbrat G, Jadoul P. Live birth after allografting of ovarian cortex between monozygotic twins with Turner syndrome (45,XO/46,XX mosaicism) and discordant ovarian function. Fertil Steril. 2011;96:1407-11 pubmed publisher..This manuscript reports the first live birth after allografting between monozygotic twins with 45,XO/46,XX mosaicism and discordant growth pattern and ovarian function. ..
- Hocking B, Guy S. Desperately seeking donors: the 'saviour sibling' decision in Quintavalle v Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (UK). Aust J Fam Law. 2005;19:144-52 pubmed
- Bergmann S. Fertility tourism: circumventive routes that enable access to reproductive technologies and substances. Signs (Chic). 2011;36:280-88 pubmed..Therefore, IVF with gamete donation is mostly modeled after conceptions of nature. Through anonymity and concealment it creates forms of nonrelatedness that leave space for future imaginings and traces of transnational genetic creators. ..
- Bennett B. Symbiotic relationships: saviour siblings, family rights and biomedicine. Aust J Fam Law. 2005;19:195-212 pubmed..This article analyses the ethical issues and the regulatory frameworks that intersect around the creation of tissue compatible children. ..
- Gratwohl A, Baldomero H. European survey on clinical use of cord blood for hematopoietic and non-hematopoietic indications. Transfus Apher Sci. 2010;42:265-75 pubmed publisher..3 (range 0.1-234.6) and a proportion of CB amongst allogeneic HSCT from 0.7% to 18.2% (median 5.4%). These data document the established role of CB HSCT in Europe but point to significant differences in its use. ..
- Surman O, Fukunishi I, Allen T, Hertl M. Live organ donation: social context, clinical encounter, and the psychology of communication. Psychosomatics. 2005;46:1-6 pubmed..The field of communication psychology lends to the understanding of coercion and to the importance of donors possessing a status of patient-hood in the classical Hippocratic condition. ..
- Gunning J. Umbilical cord cell banking: an issue of self-interest versus altruism. Med Law. 2007;26:769-80 pubmed..This paper aims to investigate some of these issues. ..
- Hug K. Motivation to donate or not donate surplus embryos for stem-cell research: literature review. Fertil Steril. 2008;89:263-77 pubmed publisher..Being at the beginning of treatment, not knowing the aim of medical research, or having good-quality embryos appear to motivate those who answer that they do not want to donate. ..
- Caspari G, Kiefel V. Net benefit of autologous compared with allogeneic blood transfusion. Transfus Med. 2007;17:413-4 pubmed
- Tagny C, Owusu Ofori S, Mbanya D, Deneys V. The blood donor in sub-Saharan Africa: a review. Transfus Med. 2010;20:1-10 pubmed publisher..These data could be useful to supplement previous reports and to provide updates for governments and international organizations' programs involved in the improvement of blood safety in Africa. ..
- Grundell E. Tissue typing for bone marrow transplantation: an ethical examination of some arguments concerning harm to the child. Monash Bioeth Rev. 2003;22:45-55 pubmed..The paper concludes by noting a potential tension between the first guiding principle of the Infertility Treatment Act 1995 (Vic) and the current Victorian policy on TT. ..
- Lampic C, Skoog Svanberg A, Sydsjo G. Attitudes towards gamete donation among IVF doctors in the Nordic countries-are they in line with national legislation?. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2009;26:231-8 pubmed publisher..There are discrepancies between IVF doctors' attitudes towards gamete donation and national legislation in four Nordic countries. Negative attitudes towards disclosure to offspring may counteract legislative intentions. ..
- Petersen A, Anderson A, Allan S. Science fiction/science fact: medical genetics in news stories. New Genet Soc. 2005;24:337-53 pubmed
- Fujiwara H, Ozaki A, Yoshimitsu M, Hamada H, Masamoto I, Matsushita K, et al. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation for refractory adult T-cell leukemia using a non-T-cell-depleted HLA-incompatible family donor graft, with reference to the grown-up child donor to parent recipient setting: report of a pilot study. Int J Hematol. 2008;87:319-26 pubmed publisher..Despite a high rate of relapse, RIST using an allograft from an HLA-incompatible grown-up child donor may be feasible for patients with advanced-phase ATL, and may prolong survival. ..
- Neate S, Marck C, Weiland T, Cunningham N, Hickey B, Dwyer B, et al. Australian emergency clinicians' perceptions and use of the GIVE Clinical Trigger for identification of potential organ and tissue donors. Emerg Med Australas. 2012;24:501-9 pubmed publisher..Most Australian emergency clinicians are familiar with and support the GIVE Clinical Trigger, and feel they have the necessary skills to use the Trigger; however, most perceive barriers to its use and have not yet used the Trigger. ..
- Bayne T. Gamete donation and parental responsibility. J Appl Philos. 2003;20:77-87 pubmed..I conclude the paper by examining the wider question of just what kind of responsibilities gamete donors might have towards the children that they have a role in creating. ..
- Patil R. Discussion on transplant ethics. Issues Med Ethics. 2002;10:62 pubmed