student health services
Summary: Health services for college and university students usually provided by the educational institution.
- Facundes V, Ludermir A. Common mental disorders among health care students. Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2005;27:194-200 pubmed..5-4.4). These findings can serve as the basis for development of programs of disease prevention and student mental health care, as well as collaborating with reflections on the teaching-learning processes in university courses. ..
- Ito N. [Image and familiarity of student counseling service and willingness to use the service]. Shinrigaku Kenkyu. 2006;76:540-6 pubmed..It was suggested that different information about counseling service should be disseminated, so as to maximize the willingness, depending on the sex and year of the students. ..
- Goodman B. Getting personal. Nurs Stand. 2006;20:61 pubmed
- Roper J. Get S.M.A.R.T. about meningitis. School meningitis awareness resource tools: vaccination clinic resource guide. School Nurse News. 2006;23:38-41 pubmed
- McCambridge J, Bendtsen M, Karlsson N, White I, Bendtsen P. Alcohol assessment & feedback by e-mail for university student hazardous and harmful drinkers: study protocol for the AMADEUS-2 randomised controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:949 pubmed publisher..It evaluates effects in the key population for whom this intervention has been designed. Study findings will inform the further development of the national service provision. ISRCTN02335307. ..
- Burnham K, Peterson D, Vavrek D, Haas M. The impact of microbial surveys on disinfection protocols in a chiropractic college environment. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009;32:463-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, the third and fourth surveys showed fewer bacterial colonies than baseline, suggesting that compliance with disinfection protocols continued over time. ..
- Borders T, Xu K, Bacchi D, Cohen L, SoRelle Miner D. College campus smoking policies and programs and students' smoking behaviors. BMC Public Health. 2005;5:74 pubmed..Rather than focusing on policies restricting cigarette sales and use, college administrators should consider implementing or expanding tobacco prevention and education programs to further reduce student smoking rates. ..
- Lionis C, Thireos E, Antonopoulou M, Rovithis E, Philalithis A, Trell E. Assessing university students' health needs: lessons learnt from Crete, Greece. Eur J Public Health. 2006;16:112 pubmed
- Powe B, Hamilton J, Brooks P. Perceptions of cancer fatalism and cancer knowledge: a comparison of older and younger African American women. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2006;24:1-13 pubmed..Women at health centers had higher cancer fatalism and lower cancer knowledge. Differences in life experiences may help explain these findings. ..
- McCleary Jones V. Learning disabilities in the community college and the role of disability services departments. J Cult Divers. 2007;14:43-7 pubmed..Faculty, staff, and administrators in the community college will need to be very familiar with legislation that impacts the rights and availability of services for LD students. ..
- Cordero E, ISRAEL T, White S, Park Y. Impact of instructor and course characteristics on the effectiveness of curriculum infusion. J Am Coll Health. 2010;59:75-81 pubmed publisher..Additionally, course size was found to contribute to CI's effectiveness. CI provides faculty with an effective way to make a difference not only in their students' education but also in their health and well-being. ..
- Gentner N, Fisher L, Wrisberg C. Athletes' and coaches' perceptions of sport psychology services offered by graduate students at one NCAA Division I university. Psychol Rep. 2004;94:213-6 pubmed..Analyses showed 118 participants' ratings of consultants' effectiveness were comparable to those provided by U.S. Olympic athletes for professional consultants in earlier research by Gould, Murphy, Tammen, and May. ..
- Conway S, Johnson E, Hagemann T. Introductory and advanced pharmacy practice experiences within campus-based influenza clinics. Am J Pharm Educ. 2013;77:61 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS. Integrating pharmacy practice experiences within campus-based influenza clinics was an effective way to provide students with direct patient care experience and preventive health services knowledge. ..
- Stanford J, Martin J, Gibson M, Birdsall E, Brixner D. Use of clomiphene citrate in the University of Utah Community Clinics. J Reprod Med. 2013;58:229-33 pubmed..The preference of some patients for twin gestations represents a challenge for optimum clinical care and public health. ..
- Diebold C, Chappell H, Robinson M. A health promotion practicum targeting the college-age population. Nurse Educ. 2000;25:48-52 pubmed..Both groups experienced team building and demonstrated accountability. Students reported a positive learning experience that met various course objectives in an innovative way. ..
- Young L. Strengthening relationships for a successful nurse directed center within an academic setting. ABNF J. 2001;12:79-82 pubmed
- Kranjčić J, Zabarovic D, Celebic A, Mehulic K, Komar D, Vojvodic D. Prosthetic modalities used to treat cleft palate patients in a university clinic: a 10-year review. Coll Antropol. 2013;37:423-9 pubmed
- Haleem D. Developing an organized system of care for college students with alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. Reflect Nurs Leadersh. 2002;28:33-4 pubmed
- Saenz R, Skledar S, Yourich B, Mark S. Educational program for pharmacists at a multifacility academic medical center. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2010;67:1368-72 pubmed publisher..A collaborative educational series with online access, clinical content, and CE credit has been effective in meeting pharmacists' needs in a multifacility health care setting. ..
- Martens M, Cimini M, Barr A, Rivero E, Vellis P, Desemone G, et al. Implementing a screening and brief intervention for high-risk drinking in university-based health and mental health care settings: reductions in alcohol use and correlates of success. Addict Behav. 2007;32:2563-72 pubmed..Implications of the findings for clinicians, administrators, and researchers in the college drinking intervention and prevention field are discussed. ..
- Haberstroh S. College counselors' use of informal language online: student perceptions of expertness, trustworthiness, and attractiveness. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2010;13:455-9 pubmed publisher..However, language mirroring seemed to moderate perceptions of expertise when counselors followed their client's informal language use. ..
- Faye D, Cisse D, Lo C. [Evaluation of student participation in the management of the activities of the medical service of the Centre des Oeuvres Universitaires of Dakar (COUD]. Odontostomatol Trop. 2002;25:23-5 pubmed..The students wish to participation actively to the management of the medical service while COUD's responsible have opposite opinion. For an efficiency management of their own health status, students must necessary participate. ..
- Ott C, Haertlein C, Craig D. A collaborative student affairs and faculty health assessment and intervention initiative. J Am Coll Health. 2003;51:257-61 pubmed..The authors offer suggestions for implementing the process on other campuses. ..
- Kogan L, Schoenfeld Tacher R, Hathcock J. Psychological services for US and international veterinary students. J Vet Med Educ. 2012;39:83-92 pubmed publisher..A list of individuals currently working in the field and their contact information is provided in Appendix 2. ..
- Kwan M, Arbour Nicitopoulos K, Lowe D, Taman S, Faulkner G. Student reception, sources, and believability of health-related information. J Am Coll Health. 2010;58:555-62 pubmed publisher..This may have implications towards how students shape their health-related social cognitions and subsequent behaviors. ..
- Tepfers A, Hruska C, Stone J, Moser J. New accreditation program: university health network's experience with Qmentum. Healthc Q. 2009;12:90-5 pubmed..Staff feedback on the Qmentum program was extremely positive, and forecast results from Accreditation Canada were excellent. ..
- Dunn L, Moutier C, Green Hammond K, Lehrmann J, Roberts L. Personal health care of residents: preferences for care outside of the training institution. Acad Psychiatry. 2008;32:20-30 pubmed publisher..Trainees' concerns are relevant to crafting policies on resident health care. Programs should strive to inform residents thoroughly about policies and rights pertaining to personal health care. ..
- Biermann A, Giesen A. [Project HOpeS: help and orientation for students with mental health problems]. Psychiatr Prax. 2002;29:41-4 pubmed..Providing specialised support for students with mental health problems avoids high personal and societal costs but requires only small funds. Such a service should be available at all universities and polytechnics. ..
- Keeling R. Fear, shame, and health promotion. J Am Coll Health. 2002;50:149-52 pubmed
- Rosenthal B, Wilson W. Mental health services: use and disparity among diverse college students. J Am Coll Health. 2008;57:61-8 pubmed publisher..The authors observed no disparities in use of mental health services in terms of sex, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status. ..
- Grace T. The meningococcal vaccine recommendation: what a tangled web we weave. J Am Coll Health. 2002;51:93-6 pubmed
- Alston S. Automation + scheduling = and enterprise win. Health Manag Technol. 2007;28:36-7 pubmed
- Ross L. Heterozygote carrier testing in high schools abroad: what are the lessons for the U.S.?. J Law Med Ethics. 2006;34:753-64 pubmed..The mandatory school environment cannot achieve this. Rather, I conclude that screening programs should be designed to attract young adults and not adolescents to participate in a more voluntary venue...
- Steiner M, Quigley D, Wang F, Balint C, Boland A. Team physicians in college athletics. Am J Sports Med. 2005;33:1545-51 pubmed..Intercollegiate team physicians primarily treat musculoskeletal injuries that do not require surgery. General medical care is often single evaluations of common conditions and repeat evaluations for concussions. ..
- Barishansky R. EMS U. College campus EMS. Emerg Med Serv. 2003;32:93-5 pubmed
- Yorgason J, Linville D, Zitzman B. Mental health among college students: do those who need services know about and use them?. J Am Coll Health. 2008;57:173-81 pubmed publisher..With the high prevalence rates and severity of mental health problems, university mental health providers must continue to make strategic efforts to disseminate knowledge about mental health services to all students. ..
- Kuponiyi O, Amoran O, Kuponiyi O. School health services and its practice among public and private primary schools in Western Nigeria. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:203 pubmed publisher..Routine inspection by teachers was the commonest form of health appraisal. This may suggest that more health personnel need to be employed to cater for the health of the school children in Nigeria and other similar developing countries. ..
- Wyatt T, DeJong W, Dixon E. Population-level administration of AlcoholEdu for college: an ARIMA time-series analysis. J Health Commun. 2013;18:898-912 pubmed publisher..ARIMA time-series analysis holds great promise for investigating the effect of program and policy interventions to address alcohol- and drug-related problems on campus. ..
- Hahn E, Fallin A, Darville A, Kercsmar S, McCann M, Record R. The three Ts of adopting tobacco-free policies on college campuses. Nurs Clin North Am. 2012;47:109-17 pubmed publisher..Administrative support, access to tobacco treatment, campus buy-in, sustained communications, and careful implementation planning are critical to instituting a tobacco-free university policy. ..
- Moynihan M, Banyard V, Arnold J, Eckstein R, Stapleton J. Sisterhood may be powerful for reducing sexual and intimate partner violence: an evaluation of the Bringing in the Bystander in-person program with sorority members. Violence Against Women. 2011;17:703-19 pubmed publisher..In addition, we discuss what the findings might mean for formal campus policies and practices for preventing sexual violence and IPV. ..
- Klein M, Ciotoli C, Chung H. Primary care screening of depression and treatment engagement in a university health center: a retrospective analysis. J Am Coll Health. 2011;59:289-95 pubmed publisher..Systematic primary care depression screening in a college health center is a promising approach to identify untreated students with depression. More study is needed to improve rates of treatment engagement. ..
- Cohen E, Cambron J, Shiel R. Measuring the development of integrative care communication patterns and cross-disciplinary knowledge at a university clinic: a baseline cross-sectional study. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009;32:758-64 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for integrating both clinical care and educational processes within a multiple professions university are considered. ..
- Christmas W. Walking the tightrope: directing a student health center at a research institution with an academic medical center. J Am Coll Health. 2008;57:341-3 pubmed publisher..The author describes his experience at 2 such institutions and offers some cautious advice. ..
- Carter A, Elzubeir M, Abdulrazzaq Y, Revel A, Townsend A. Health and lifestyle needs assessment of medical students in the United Arab Emirates. Med Teach. 2003;25:492-6 pubmed..This survey identified significant health-promotion opportunities for these students that can be carried out during medical school in order to establish a healthier physician population. ..
- Lubin B, Van Whitlock R. Psychometric properties of the Brief Life Satisfaction Scales. J Clin Psychol. 2004;60:11-27 pubmed..Reliability (internal consistency and retest) and validity (concurrent, construct, discriminant, known group, predictive, and incremental) were adequate to good. Clinical uses of the BLSS and additional studies are discussed. ..
- Brening R, Dalve Endres A, Patrick K. Emergency contraception pills (ECPs): current trends in United States college health centers. Contraception. 2003;67:449-56 pubmed..Despite recent advances leading to increased availability of ECPs among college health centers, a number of campuses still do not prescribe ECPs. ..
- Raymond E, Chen P, Pierre Louis B, Luoto J, Barnhart K, Bradley L, et al. Participant characteristics associated with withdrawal from a large randomized trial of spermicide effectiveness. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2004;4:23 pubmed..Targeting retention efforts at women at high risk for early withdrawal is not likely to address the problem sufficiently. ..
- Petro Nustas W. University students' knowledge of AIDS. Int J Nurs Stud. 2000;37:423-33 pubmed..The study explains these results and comes out with appropriate recommendations, the most important of which is the need for introducing a tailored-cut course on HIV/AIDS to be offered to students as part of their study plans/curricula. ..
- Christmas W. Weathering the recession in college health. J Am Coll Health. 2010;58:391-2 pubmed publisher..Based on 22 years of experience as a health service director, the author offers some personal insights in the hope that they will help colleagues cope with the current situation. ..