psychiatric social work
Summary: Use of all social work processes in the treatment of patients in a psychiatric or mental health setting.
- Callahan J. Documentation of client dangerousness in a managed care environment. Health Soc Work. 1996;21:202-7 pubmed..This article discusses the documentation of accountability in the case of potential client suicide or violence toward others. ..
- Underwood L, McCarthy J, Tsakanikos E. Mental health of adults with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2010;23:421-6 pubmed publisher..Studies tend to have relatively small sample sizes and there remain difficulties in accurately assessing ASD and psychopathology in adults with intellectual disability. ..
- Kluge H, Becker T, Kallert T, Matschinger H, Angermeyer M. [Impact of structure and context on utilization of socio-psychiatric services in Saxony--a multi-level-analysis]. Psychiatr Prax. 2007;34:20-5 pubmed..The impact of service structure and context on service use was particularly strong in the subgroup of service users with very high service utilisation. ..
- Birgden A. Therapeutic jurisprudence and sex offenders: a psycho-legal approach to protection. Sex Abuse. 2004;16:351-64 pubmed..Legal and correctional practitioners can work together to address both community protection and offender protection concerns. ..
- Valianti L. Small project reveals large cultural barriers to integrated care. Behav Healthc Tomorrow. 2004;13:19-23 pubmed
- Webster S, Harrison L. The multidisciplinary approach to mental health crisis management: an Australian example. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2004;11:21-9 pubmed..The study also found deficiencies in the method of routine data collection (Emergency Department Identification System), which makes formal auditing of the team and the services it provides a difficult task. ..
- Pulier M, Ciccone D, Castellano C, Marcus K, Schleifer S. Medical versus nonmedical mental health referral: clinical decision-making by telephone access center staff. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2003;30:444-51 pubmed..Efforts to enhance such efficiency may not be cost-effective. It may be more fiscally efficient to assign less-experienced personnel as telephone care managers. ..
- Carpentier N, White D. Cohesion of the primary social network and sustained service use before the first psychiatric hospitalization. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2002;29:404-18 pubmed..These findings confirm the importance of social and interactional contexts in decision-making processes leading to use of psychiatric services and specify the roles they play. ..
- Hershey N. Court refuses to dismiss EMTALA retaliation claim. Fotia v. Palmetto Behavioral Health. Hosp Law Newsl. 2005;22:5-8 pubmed
- Kim M, Scheyett A, Elbogen E, Van Dorn R, McDaniel L, Swartz M, et al. Front line workers' attitudes towards psychiatric advance directives. Community Ment Health J. 2008;44:28-46 pubmed..Social workers are more favorable of HCPAs than advance instructions. The findings suggest that clinical experiences with PADs may positively impact social worker's perceptions of the law. ..
- Morrissey J, Meyer P, Cuddeback G. Extending Assertive Community Treatment to criminal justice settings: origins, current evidence, and future directions. Community Ment Health J. 2007;43:527-44 pubmed..We conclude with several suggestions for how the clinical model of FACT needs to be expanded to incorporate interventions aimed at reducing criminal behavior and recidivism. ..
- Higgins M, Lacy T. The role of psychiatry in U.S. Air Force primary care: research-based models for clinical consultation and education. Mil Med. 2006;171:1117-22 pubmed..Certain factors are required to implement these models including command support for locating psychiatrists within primary care, data-driven educational approaches, collaborative clinical care, and administrative support. ..
- Staets S, Hipp M. [KIPKEL--an interdisciplinary ambulatory prevention project for children with mentally ill parents]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2001;50:569-79 pubmed..Finally an example of a family who participated in the programme is given. It illustrates the complex arrangement of interpersonal relationship and the course of the carework. ..
- Saikkonen J, Karppi P, Huusko T, Dahlberg A, Makinen J, Uutela T. Life situation of spinal cord-injured persons in Central Finland. Spinal Cord. 2004;42:459-65 pubmed..The psychological services, for example, prevention and treatment of depression, in particular, require more attention. ..
- Sonntag R. [Social work, community psychiatry and general medical care]. Nervenarzt. 2004;75:308-10 pubmed
- Mickel E. African centered family healing: an alternative paradigm. J Health Soc Policy. 2002;16:185-93 pubmed..This understanding is requisite to family healing. It is therefore necessary that we change our thinking and then our actions. This article posits that social workers must become social healers. ..
- Foster L, McLellan L. Translating psychosocial insight into ethical discussions supportive of families in end-of-life decision-making. Soc Work Health Care. 2002;35:37-51 pubmed..Contributions of a social worker and bioethicist are illustrated. ..
- Peck E, Gulliver P, Towell D. Governance of partnership between health and social services: the experience in Somerset. Health Soc Care Community. 2002;10:331-8 pubmed..Locating this ritual function of the Board within the broader sociological literature, the Discussion section goes on to suggest the implications both for the future of governance of partnership and for further research in this area. ..
- Blair R. Risk factors associated with PTSD and major depression among Cambodian refugees in Utah. Health Soc Work. 2000;25:23-30 pubmed
- Secker J, Hill K. Mental health training and development needs of community agency staff. Health Soc Care Community. 2002;10:323-30 pubmed..On the basis of the results, the present authors put forward suggestions as to how these needs might be met. ..
- Atwood N. Gender bias in families and its clinical implications for women. Soc Work. 2001;46:23-36 pubmed
- Ganesvaran T. Aged persons mental health. Australas Psychiatry. 2006;14:334 pubmed
- Liberman R, Glick I. Drug and psychosocial curricula for psychiatry residents for treatment of schizophrenia: part I. Psychiatr Serv. 2004;55:1217-9 pubmed
- Dornhoefer J. Deconstructing the ailment: one health care professional's experience as the patient. Soc Work Health Care. 2001;33:105-11 pubmed
- Ellila H, Sourander A, Valimaki M, Piha J. Characteristics and staff resources of child and adolescent psychiatric hospital wards in Finland. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2005;12:209-14 pubmed..However, in many units there was a lack of psychologists, social workers and occupational therapists. General recommendations and guidelines for staff resources in child and adolescent hospital treatment wards are warranted. ..
- Barrio C, Palinkas L, Yamada A, Fuentes D, Criado V, Garcia P, et al. Unmet needs for mental health services for latino older adults: perspectives from consumers, family members, advocates, and service providers. Community Ment Health J. 2008;44:57-74 pubmed..Latino older adults experienced their unmet needs in ways associated with their cultural background and minority status. Age- and culturally-appropriate services are needed to overcome these barriers. ..
- Kaufman A, Scogin F, Burgio L, Morthland M, Ford B. Providing mental health services to older people living in rural communities. J Gerontol Soc Work. 2007;48:349-65 pubmed..In this article, we examine these challenges and share what we have learned so far about providing mental health services to elderly persons living in rural environments. ..
- Frank R, Glied S. Changes in mental health financing since 1971: implications for policymakers and patients. Health Aff (Millwood). 2006;25:601-13 pubmed..Recent developments suggest that financing could be further constrained in the future, even as fragmentation continues to increase. ..
- Shannon C, Bourque D. Overlooked and underutilized: the critical role of leisure interventions in facilitating social support throughout breast cancer treatment and recovery. Soc Work Health Care. 2005;42:73-92 pubmed..Implications for social work education are also highlighted. ..
- Brieger P. [For and against: a crisis of community psychiatry? Against]. Psychiatr Prax. 2005;32:270-1 pubmed
- Fischer M, Kemmler G, Meise U. ["How Nice that Someone is Interested in me for a Change"]. Psychiatr Prax. 2004;31:60-7 pubmed
- Bell H. Strengths and secondary trauma in family violence work. Soc Work. 2003;48:513-22 pubmed..Implications for social work practice, education, and research are discussed. ..
- Schützwohl M, Glöckner M, Matthes C, Eichler T, Kallert T. [The burden on relatives of acute mentally ill within the first four weeks of day hospital and inpatient treatment. Results from a randomized controlled trial]. Psychiatr Prax. 2005;32:281-8 pubmed..Independently from treatment setting, relatives of psychiatric patients should be actively approached and offered information, coping strategies, and help. Further research should include qualitative methods. ..
- Allen P, Nelson H, Netting F. Current practice and policy realities revisited: undertrained nursing home social workers in the U.S. Soc Work Health Care. 2007;45:1-22 pubmed..The social work literature is reviewed with a renewed interest in addressing the problem profession-wide. ..
- Rao P. Rehabilitation of the wandering seriously mentally ill (WSMI) women-The Banyan experience. Soc Work Health Care. 2004;39:49-65 pubmed..The role played by the social workers is so vital that the success of the programme hinges on their repertoire of skill and commitment. ..
- Palmstierna T, Gadd K, Norman C, Svensson J. [Drug addicts with severe mental disorders can be helped by programs using moderate means. Good results when psychiatric, social and drug abuse services cooperate]. Lakartidningen. 2000;97:2205-6 pubmed..All but one were greatly improved in general terms as well as regarding their ability to maintain an ordered life style. The need for institutional care decreased dramatically. ..
- Bussey M, Wise J. The recovery paradigm in trauma work: approaches to healing psychiatric disability and substance abuse in women's lives. J Soc Work Disabil Rehabil. 2008;7:355-79 pubmed publisher..Psychiatric rehabilitation, trauma, and cooccurring dimensions of treatment are discussed. Promising programs using consumer-oriented service models are highlighted. ..
- Baraff L, Janowicz N, Asarnow J. Survey of California emergency departments about practices for management of suicidal patients and resources available for their care. Ann Emerg Med. 2006;48:452-8, 458.e1-2 pubmed
- Sato K, Tsujimaru S. [The current status and problems of psychotherapy and mental health and welfare--from an educational viewpoint]. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2006;108:819-20 pubmed
- Forbe Smith L, Haire M, Doneley M. Social work practice in the donation of human tissue for transplantation: utilising social work values and competencies to achieve effective outcomes for transplant patients and donor families. Soc Work Health Care. 2002;35:377-89 pubmed..The paper will reflect upon key social work knowledge and processes which have respected the subjective experience of client and worker while working within a medical model. ..
- Bauer K, Eikermann S, Grothaus C, Lühr R, Muller S. [High utilizing as a team effort]. Psychiatr Prax. 2002;29:369-73 pubmed..In addition the report describes the commitment and often unconventional ways of cooperation by different staff and institutions, that made it possible for Mr. Z. to look forward to a future outside the hospital. ..
- Sørgaard K, Sandlund M, Heikkilä J, Hansson L, Vinding H, Bjarnason O, et al. Schizophrenia and contact with health and social services: a Nordic multi-centre study. Nord J Psychiatry. 2003;57:253-61 pubmed..The importance of health needs and diagnosis as predictors of contact illustrate the profound and lasting effects on health of having a diagnosis of schizophrenia. ..
- Collins M, Mowbray C, Bybee D. Measuring coping strategies in an educational intervention for individuals with psychiatric disabilities. Health Soc Work. 1999;24:279-90 pubmed..Implications for social work practice and research are identified. ..
- Solomon P, Evans D. Service needs of youths released from a state psychiatric facility as perceived by service providers and families. Community Ment Health J. 1992;28:305-15 pubmed..Steps that service providers need to take to be more responsive to the needs of families are discussed. ..
- Bentley K, Walsh J, Farmer R. Social work roles and activities regarding psychiatric medication: results of a national survey. Soc Work. 2005;50:295-303 pubmed
- Prewitt L. Helping youths on the streets. What one shelter has learned from years of experience. Behav Healthc. 2006;26:46-7 pubmed
- Götmark H, Askerstam M, Forslund H, Palomäki K. [In the "Sodertalje model" the municipality and the county work together. Joint support benefits the psychiatric reform patients]. Lakartidningen. 2006;103:546-9 pubmed
- Steele L, Glazier R, Lin E, Austin P, Mustard C. Measuring the effect of a large reduction in welfare payments on mental health service use in welfare-dependent neighborhoods. Med Care. 2005;43:885-91 pubmed..Social policy changes with potential health effects should have integrated evaluations planned at the time of policy implementation. ..
- Lehman A, Goldberg R, Dixon L, McNary S, Postrado L, Hackman A, et al. Improving employment outcomes for persons with severe mental illnesses. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:165-72 pubmed..Achieving job retention remains a challenge with both interventions. ..
- Beels C. Notes for a cultural history of family therapy. Fam Process. 2002;41:67-82 pubmed
- Peck E, Towell D, Gulliver P. Joint commissioning. Going halves. Health Serv J. 2002;112:26-7 pubmed..The combined health and social care trust does not seem to have delivered anything which has not been achieved elsewhere without the transfer of social care staff to a new employer. ..
- Auslander G, Buchs A. Evaluating an activity intervention with hemodialysis patients in Israel. Soc Work Health Care. 2002;35:407-23 pubmed..The implications of these findings as well as the methodological difficulties entailed in this type of study are examined. ..