reproductive health services
Summary: Health care services related to human REPRODUCTION and diseases of the REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM. Services are provided to both sexes and usually by physicians in the medical or the surgical specialties such as REPRODUCTIVE MEDICINE; ANDROLOGY; GYNECOLOGY; OBSTETRICS; and PERINATOLOGY.
- Laski L, Wong S. Addressing diversity in adolescent sexual and reproductive health services. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010;110 Suppl:S10-2 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for strengthening the effectiveness of SRH programs detailed at the FIGO World Congress in 2009 are discussed. ..
- Jaruseviciene L, Lazarus J, Zaborskis A. Confidentiality and parental involvement in adolescent sexual and reproductive health care: a cross-sectional study of Lithuanian general practitioners. Scand J Public Health. 2011;39:484-91 pubmed publisher..The study highlights the need for a comprehensive strategy to strengthen the confidentiality of sexual and reproductive health services for this group in Lithuanian primary care.
- Bellows N, Bellows B, Warren C. Systematic Review: the use of vouchers for reproductive health services in developing countries: systematic review. Trop Med Int Health. 2011;16:84-96 pubmed publisher..In particular, it is important to see stronger evidence on cost-effectiveness and population health impacts, where the findings can best direct governments and external funders. ..
- Okereke C. Unmet reproductive health needs and health-seeking behaviour of adolescents in Owerri, Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2010;14:43-54 pubmed..In conclusion, more accessible and cost-effective method of disseminating STI/HIV information involving the use of vernacular and traditional/local opinion leaders should be used. ..
- Owen J, Carroll C, Cooke J, Formby E, Hayter M, Hirst J, et al. School-linked sexual health services for young people (SSHYP): a survey and systematic review concerning current models, effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and research opportunities. Health Technol Assess. 2010;14:1-228, iii-iv pubmed publisher..Future research should examine the impact of the differing types of services currently evolving in the UK, encompassing school-based and school-linked models, as well as models with and without medical practitioner involvement. ..
- Kharsany A, Mlotshwa M, Frohlich J, Yende Zuma N, Samsunder N, Abdool Karim S, et al. HIV prevalence among high school learners - opportunities for schools-based HIV testing programmes and sexual reproductive health services. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:231 pubmed publisher..The high HIV prevalence in female learners underscores the importance of sexual reproductive health and schools-based HIV testing programs as an important gateway to prevention and treatment services. ..
- Braeken D, Rondinelli I. Sexual and reproductive health needs of young people: matching needs with systems. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012;119 Suppl 1:S60-3 pubmed..Attention to the perceptions and needs of young people is essential, along with development of policies, services, and programs that address those needs, particularly the youth-friendly approach to service delivery. ..
- Thin Zaw P, Liabsuetrakul T, Htay T, McNeil E. Equity of access to reproductive health services among youths in resource-limited suburban communities of Mandalay City, Myanmar. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:458 pubmed publisher..Despite the availability of RH services, youth's accessibility to and utilization of those services were unsatisfactory. The levels of youths' unmet RH needs were alarmingly high. ..
- Mohanty S, Pathak P. Rich-poor gap in utilization of reproductive and child health services in India, 1992-2005. J Biosoc Sci. 2009;41:381-98 pubmed publisher..Of all these services, the inequality in medical assistance at delivery is consistently large, while that of contraceptive use is small. The state-level differences in service coverage by wealth quintiles over time are large. ..
- Hla Soe Tint -, Phyo Maung Thaw -, Yin Thet Nu Oo -, Ko Ko Zaw -, Than Tun Sein -, Thein Tun -. Sexual and reproductive health needs of vulnerable youth in Myanmar. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2008;39:1126-38 pubmed..TV and magazines/journals were prioritized as preferred channels of disseminating health messages. Almost all reported that education was the one thing that they wanted for their own children. ..
- Regmi P, van Teijlingen E, Simkhada P, Acharya D. Barriers to sexual health services for young people in Nepal. J Health Popul Nutr. 2010;28:619-27 pubmed..It is concluded that the establishment of youth-friendly service centres in convenient places might help encourage young people to use sexual health services. ..
- Warren C, Mayhew S, Vassall A, Kimani J, Church K, Obure C, et al. Study protocol for the Integra Initiative to assess the benefits and costs of integrating sexual and reproductive health and HIV services in Kenya and Swaziland. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:973 pubmed publisher..Integra addresses existing evidence gaps in the integration evaluation literature, building on the limited evidence from SSA and the expertise of its research partners. Current Controlled Trials NCT01694862. ..
- Kumar A, Mohanty S. Intra-urban differentials in the utilization of reproductive healthcare in India, 1992-2006. J Urban Health. 2011;88:311-28 pubmed publisher..However, the utilization of reproductive health services is concentrated among the urban non-poor cutting across the states, with the exception of Kerala...
- Bratt J. Predicting impact of price increases on demand for reproductive health services: can it be done well?. Health Policy. 2010;95:159-65 pubmed publisher..valuation to elicit estimates of client willingness-to-pay (WTP) higher prices for family planning and reproductive health services in three developing countries...
- Carvacho I, Mello M, Morais S, Silva J. [Factors associated with access to health services prior to pregnancy by pregnant adolescents]. Rev Saude Publica. 2008;42:886-94 pubmed
- Brickley D, Almers L, Kennedy C, Spaulding A, Mirjahangir J, Kennedy G, et al. Sexual and reproductive health services for people living with HIV: a systematic review. AIDS Care. 2011;23:303-14 pubmed publisher..There is a need for high-quality intervention studies to determine the most successful and cost-effective strategies for providing SRH services to people living with HIV. ..
- Kongsri S, Limwattananon S, Sirilak S, Prakongsai P, Tangcharoensathien V. Equity of access to and utilization of reproductive health services in Thailand: national Reproductive Health Survey data, 2006 and 2009. Reprod Health Matters. 2011;19:86-97 pubmed publisherThis study assessed trends in equity of access to reproductive health services and service utilization in terms of coverage of family planning, antenatal care and skilled birth attendance in Thailand...
- Whelan A, Blogg J. 'Halfway people': refugee views of reproductive health services. Glob Public Health. 2007;2:373-94 pubmed publisher..this study was to identify factors that facilitate or hinder access to, use of, and satisfaction with reproductive health services in refugee settings, from the perspective of beneficiaries...
- Changole J, Bandawe C, Makanani B, Nkanaunena K, Taulo F, Malunga E, et al. Patients' satisfaction with reproductive health services at Gogo Chatinkha Maternity Unit, Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital, Blantyre, Malawi. Malawi Med J. 2010;22:5-9 pubmed..important for reproductive health care providers to get feedback from women regarding satisfaction with reproductive health services. There is a dearth of knowledge about patient satisfaction in Malawi...
- Zampas C, Andión Ibañez X. Conscientious objection to sexual and reproductive health services: international human rights standards and European law and practice. Eur J Health Law. 2012;19:231-56 pubmed
- Germain A, Dixon Mueller R, Sen G. Back to basics: HIV/AIDS belongs with sexual and reproductive health. Bull World Health Organ. 2009;87:840-5 pubmed..for renewed leadership commitment, investment in health systems to deliver comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services, including HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, comprehensive youth programmes, streamlined country ..
- Viswanathan K, Hansen P, Rahman M, Steinhardt L, Edward A, Arwal S, et al. Can community health workers increase coverage of reproductive health services?. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2012;66:894-900 pubmed publisher..In recent years, substantial increases in the coverage of reproductive health services have been achieved, yet absolute levels of coverage remain very low, especially in rural areas...
- Daniels U. Improving health, improving lives: impact of the African Youth Alliance and new opportunities for programmes. Afr J Reprod Health. 2007;11:18-27 pubmed..The research suggests a comprehensive, multi-component approach such as AYA's can be effective in improving some key ASRH variables. ..
- Rahman M, Nakamura K, Seino K, Kizuki M. Intimate partner violence and use of reproductive health services among married women: evidence from a national Bangladeshi sample. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:913 pubmed publisher..health care services suggests that partner violence plays a significant role in lower utilization of reproductive health services among women in Bangladesh...
- Larke N, Cleophas Mazige B, Plummer M, Obasi A, Rwakatare M, Todd J, et al. Impact of the MEMA kwa Vijana adolescent sexual and reproductive health interventions on use of health services by young people in rural Mwanza, Tanzania: results of a cluster randomized trial. J Adolesc Health. 2010;47:512-22 pubmed publisher..Training staff to provide more youth-friendly health services can increase the utilization of health services for suspected STIs by young people, especially among young men. ..
- Renju J, Andrew B, Nyalali K, Kishamawe C, Kato C, Changalucha J, et al. A process evaluation of the scale up of a youth-friendly health services initiative in northern Tanzania. J Int AIDS Soc. 2010;13:32 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to identify effective strategies to address structural constraints and broader social norms that hampered the scale up. ..
- Sorsdahl K, Flisher A, Ward C, Mertens J, Bresick G, Sterling S, et al. The time is now: missed opportunities to address patient needs in community clinics in Cape Town, South Africa. Trop Med Int Health. 2010;15:1218-26 pubmed publisher..Interventions are needed at the patient, provider, and community levels to increase the opportunities to provide reproductive and mental health care to patients during routine visits. ..
- Orach C, Musoba N, Byamukama N, Mutambi R, Aporomon J, Luyombo A, et al. Perceptions about human rights, sexual and reproductive health services by internally displaced persons in northern Uganda. Afr Health Sci. 2009;9 Suppl 2:S72-80 pubmed..Similarly they must strengthen health systems to provide equitable health services for all IDPs particularly reproductive health services.
- Hoover K, Tao G, Berman S, Kent C. Utilization of health services in physician offices and outpatient clinics by adolescents and young women in the United States: implications for improving access to reproductive health services. J Adolesc Health. 2010;46:324-30 pubmed publisherWe examined utilization patterns of adolescents and young women as they seek general and reproductive health services in physician offices and hospital outpatient clinics...
- Hall K, Moreau C, Trussell J. Associations between sexual and reproductive health communication and health service use among U.S. adolescent women. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2012;44:6-12 pubmed publisher..communication from parents and formal (school, church, community) sources and their use of sexual and reproductive health services. The majority of adolescents had received parental (75%) and formal (92%) sexual and reproductive ..
- Chirwa Y, Witter S, Munjoma M, Mashange W, Ensor T, McPake B, et al. The human resource implications of improving financial risk protection for mothers and newborns in Zimbabwe. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013;13:197 pubmed publisher..Overall public investment in health needs to grow. ..
- Hall K, Moreau C, Trussell J. Determinants of and disparities in reproductive health service use among adolescent and young adult women in the United States, 2002-2008. Am J Public Health. 2012;102:359-67 pubmed publisher..Public health and policy strategies are needed to eliminate inequities in reproductive health service. ..
- Abuya T, Njuki R, Warren C, Okal J, Obare F, Kanya L, et al. A policy analysis of the implementation of a Reproductive Health Vouchers Program in Kenya. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:540 pubmed publisher..support from the German Development Bank (KfW) implemented an OBA voucher program to subsidize priority reproductive health services. Little evidence exists on the experience of implementing such programs in different settings...
- Decat P, Nelson E, De Meyer S, Jaruseviciene L, Orozco M, Segura Z, et al. Community embedded reproductive health interventions for adolescents in Latin America: development and evaluation of a complex multi-centre intervention. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:31 pubmed publisher..This research will result in a methodological framework that will contribute to the improved design and implementation of future adolescent sexual and reproductive health interventions. ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT01722084). ..
- Ngo A, Hill P. Quality of reproductive health services at commune health stations in Viet Nam: implications for national reproductive health care strategy. Reprod Health Matters. 2011;19:52-61 pubmed publisher..presents a qualitative study conducted in 2009 of provider and patient perceptions of primary level reproductive health services provided by commune health stations (CHSs), and the implications for Viet Nam's 2011-2020 National ..
- Lafort Y, Geelhoed D, Cumba L, Lázaro C, Delva W, Luchters S, et al. Reproductive health services for populations at high risk of HIV: Performance of a night clinic in Tete province, Mozambique. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:144 pubmed publisher..Long-term sustainability remains challenging and requires private-public partnerships or continued project-based funding. ..
- Khalaf I, Abu Moghli F, Froelicher E. Youth-friendly reproductive health services in Jordan from the perspective of the youth: a descriptive qualitative study. Scand J Caring Sci. 2010;24:321-31 pubmed publisherThis study aims at describing the needs for reproductive health services among Jordanian youth, identifying problems youth encounter when using reproductive health services, and identifying youths' perceptions of the characteristics of ..
- Bhanderi M, Kannan S. Untreated reproductive morbidities among ever married women of slums of Rajkot City, Gujarat: the role of class, distance, provider attitudes, and perceived quality of care. J Urban Health. 2010;87:254-263 pubmed publisher..58), and whose duration of illness was more than 1 year (OR = 14.44, 95% CI 3.66-56.87) accessed fewer reproductive health services compared to their counterparts...
- Cooper D, Moodley J, Zweigenthal V, Bekker L, Shah I, Myer L. Fertility intentions and reproductive health care needs of people living with HIV in Cape Town, South Africa: implications for integrating reproductive health and HIV care services. AIDS Behav. 2009;13 Suppl 1:38-46 pubmed publisherTailoring sexual and reproductive health services to meet the needs of people living with the human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV) is a growing concern but there are few insights into these issues where HIV is most prevalent...
- Adinma J, Adinma E. Impact of reproductive health on socio-economic development: a case study of Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2011;15:7-12 pubmed..Fast tracking Nigeria's development requires implementation of reproductive health policies and programmes targeted on women and children. ..
- Tangmunkongvorakul A, Banwell C, Carmichael G, Utomo I, Seubsman S, Kelly M, et al. Use and perceptions of sexual and reproductive health services among northern Thai adolescents. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2012;43:479-500 pubmed..light on obstacles to safe sexual health for young Thais and their need for appropriate sexual and reproductive health services. The study population was 1,745 unmarried adolescents aged 17-20 who resided or worked in Chiang Mai, ..
- Rawlins B, Kim Y, Rozario A, Bazant E, Rashidi T, Bandazi S, et al. Reproductive health services in Malawi: an evaluation of a quality improvement intervention. Midwifery. 2013;29:53-9 pubmed publisher..facilities to have the needed infrastructure, equipment, supplies, and systems in place to offer reproductive health services. Observed quality of care was significantly higher at intervention than comparison facilities for PNC ..
- Mngadi P, Faxelid E, Zwane I, Hojer B, Ransjo Arvidson A. Health providers' perceptions of adolescent sexual and reproductive health care in Swaziland. Int Nurs Rev. 2008;55:148-55 pubmed publisher..to support adolescent-friendly services and to train heathcare providers in adolescent sexual and reproductive health services. The curricula within nursing and midwifery preservice education need to be reviewed to incorporate ..
- Biddlecom A, Munthali A, Singh S, Woog V. Adolescents' views of and preferences for sexual and reproductive health services in Burkina Faso, Ghana, Malawi and Uganda. Afr J Reprod Health. 2007;11:99-110 pubmedAdolescents' views of and preferences for sexual and reproductive health services highlight promising directions and persistent challenges in preventing pregnancy and HIV and treating sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) in this ..
- Murthy R, Klugman B. Service accountability and community participation in the context of health sector reforms in Asia: implications for sexual and reproductive health services. Health Policy Plan. 2004;19 Suppl 1:i78-i86 pubmed..Community participation and service accountability hence requires more and not less investment of resources by the state. ..
- van Teijlingen E, Forrest K. The range of qualitative research methods in family planning and reproductive health care. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2004;30:171-3 pubmed
- Mmari K, Magnani R. Does making clinic-based reproductive health services more youth-friendly increase service use by adolescents? Evidence from Lusaka, Zambia. J Adolesc Health. 2003;33:259-70 pubmed..of "youth-friendliness" at the clinics and the level of community acceptance of providing reproductive health services to youth...
- Coyne Beasley T, Ford C, Waller M, Adimora A, Resnick M. Sexually active students' willingness to use school-based health centers for reproductive health care services in North Carolina. Ambul Pediatr. 2003;3:196-202 pubmed..Absence of these services in SBHCs represents a missed opportunity to provide health care to adolescents who are at substantial risk of pregnancy and STIs. ..
- Guedes A, Bott S, Cuca Y. Integrating systematic screening for gender-based violence into sexual and reproductive health services: results of a baseline study by the International Planned Parenthood Federation, Western Hemisphere Region. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2002;78 Suppl 1:S57-63 pubmed