early medical intervention
Summary: Action taken to reduce susceptibility or exposure to health problems and to detect and treat disease in early stages.
- Palermo L, Geberhiwot T, MacDonald A, Limback E, Hall S, Romani C. Cognitive outcomes in early-treated adults with phenylketonuria (PKU): A comprehensive picture across domains. Neuropsychology. 2017;31:255-267 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate good outcomes, but also that deficits are still present with current treatment policies. (PsycINFO Database Record ..
- Silver R, Barel A, Lascu E, Ritchie E, Roboz G, Christos P, et al. The effect of initial molecular profile on response to recombinant interferon-? (rIFN?) treatment in early myelofibrosis. Cancer. 2017;123:2680-2687 pubmed publisher..In this phase 2 study, for the first time, the authors correlate response to rIFN? treatment with driver and HMR mutations...
- Hollenberg S. Valvular Heart Disease in Adults: Etiologies, Classification, and Diagnosis. FP Essent. 2017;457:11-16 pubmed..Monitoring of asymptomatic patients is important because early intervention, when valve function worsens or symptoms develop, is associated with better outcomes. ..
- Blessing A, Studer A, Gross A, Gruss L, Schneider R, Dammann G. Disclosure of Diagnosis in Early Recognition of Psychosis. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2017;205:757-761 pubmed publisher..Persons with ARMS seem to particularly benefit from disclosure of diagnosis as part of early intervention. ..
- Shreve M, Scott A, Vowell Johnson K. Adequately Addressing Pediatric Obesity: Challenges Faced by Primary Care Providers. South Med J. 2017;110:486-490 pubmed publisher..This will allow for earlier identification and intervention, resulting in improved outcomes in pediatric obesity. ..
- Gallagher H, Methven S, Casula A, Thomas N, Tomson C, Caskey F, et al. A programme to spread eGFR graph surveillance for the early identification, support and treatment of people with progressive chronic kidney disease (ASSIST-CKD): protocol for the stepped wedge implementation and evaluation of an intervention to reduc. BMC Nephrol. 2017;18:131 pubmed publisher..This protocol describes a robust quantitative and qualitative evaluation of a quality improvement intervention to reduce late presentation and improve the outcomes for patients with ESKD. ..
- Zaleska Zmijewska A, Janiszewski M, Wawrzyniak Z, Kuch M, Szaflik J, Szaflik J. Is atrial fibrillation a risk factor for normal-tension glaucoma?. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8347 pubmed publisher..Many AF patients do not have conspicuous symptoms of GL, so understanding the possible risk of its development is critical because early detection might help to prevent later visual impairment and even irreversible blindness. ..
- Magnusson D, Minkovitz C, Kuhlthau K, Caballero T, Mistry K. Beliefs Regarding Development and Early Intervention Among Low-Income African American and Hispanic Mothers. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Understand the role of health beliefs in shaping maternal decisions regarding help-seeking for children with developmental delay (DD) and explore differences between African American and Hispanic mothers...
- Schultze Lutter F, Schmidt S, Walger P, Schimmelmann B. [Developmental Aspects in the Early Detection and Intervention in Clinical High Risk States for Psychosis]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2017;66:324-344 pubmed publisher..Overall, age-related or developmental peculiarities in the early detection and intervention in psychoses become more and more apparent and should be more focused in future research in this field. ..
- Rothermund E, Gündel H, Kilian R, Holzer M, Reiter B, Mauss D, et al. [Treatment of psychosomatic disorders occurring in the vocational context - concept and first findings ]. Z Psychosom Med Psychother. 2014;60:177-89 pubmed publisher..PCIW represents an easily accessible therapeutic offer in the vocational context. There often is a mix of work-related and personal problems that suggests the cooperation of occupational and psychosomatic physicians. ..
- Apibunyopas Y. Mortality rate among patients with septic shock after implementation of 6-hour sepsis protocol in the emergency department of Thammasat University Hospital. J Med Assoc Thai. 2014;97 Suppl 8:S182-93 pubmed..7% vs. 40.0%; p = 0.005). Septic shock mortality was decreased after implementation of the 6-hour sepsis protocol at the emergency department of Thammasat University Hospital. ..
- Restek Petrović B, Majdančić A, Molnar S, Grah M, Ivezić E, Filipcic I, et al. Early intervention programme for patients with psychotic disorders in "Sveti Ivan" Psychiatric hospital (RIPEPP) - sociodemographic and baseline characteristics of the participants. Psychiatr Danub. 2017;29:162-170 pubmed..The findings of this study provide more detailed description of the beneficiaries of the RIPEPP programme, which can contribute to forming future programmes for the prevention of psychotic disorders. ..
- Goldman D, Juday T, Seekins D, Linthicum M, Romley J. Early HIV treatment in the United States prevented nearly 13,500 infections per year during 1996-2009. Health Aff (Millwood). 2014;33:362-9 pubmed publisher..For all of the prevented cases, the losses in life expectancy that were avoided were worth $128 billion, assuming that a life-year has a value of $150,000. These findings underscore the cost-effectiveness of early HIV treatment. ..
- Haug E, Øie M, Andreassen O, Bratlien U, Nelson B, Melle I, et al. High levels of anomalous self-experience are associated with longer duration of untreated psychosis. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2017;11:133-138 pubmed publisher..To investigate the relationship between anomalous self-experiences and duration of untreated psychosis in a sample of patients with first-episode schizophrenia spectrum disorders...
- Patterson C, Loebinger M. Community acquired pneumonia: assessment and treatment. Clin Med (Lond). 2012;12:283-6 pubmed
- Riley C, Wheeler A. Assessing the Fragile X Syndrome Newborn Screening Landscape. Pediatrics. 2017;139:S207-S215 pubmed publisher..The landscape of NBS for FXS could be influenced by a series of research findings over time or a larger breakthrough that demonstrates an effective targeted treatment that has to be implemented early in life. ..
- Bhutta Z, Lassi Z, Bergeron G, Koletzko B, Salam R, Diaz A, et al. Delivering an action agenda for nutrition interventions addressing adolescent girls and young women: priorities for implementation and research. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1393:61-71 pubmed publisher..Beyond the evidence synthesis, there is a clear need to translate evidence into policy and for implementation of key recommendations and addressing knowledge gaps through prioritized research. ..
- Agulnik A, Mora Robles L, Forbes P, Soberanis Vasquez D, Mack R, Antillón Klussmann F, et al. Improved outcomes after successful implementation of a pediatric early warning system (PEWS) in a resource-limited pediatric oncology hospital. Cancer. 2017;123:2965-2974 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates that PEWS is a feasible and effective quality improvement measure to improve hospital care for children with cancer in hospitals with limited resources. Cancer 2017;123:2965-74. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Safy M, Jacobs J, IJff N, Bijlsma J, van Laar J, de Hair M. Long-term outcome is better when a methotrexate-based treatment strategy is combined with 10 mg prednisone daily: follow-up after the second Computer-Assisted Management in Early Rheumatoid Arthritis trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1432-1435 pubmed publisher
- Hafez D, Nelson D, Martin E, Cohen A, Northway R, Kullgren J. Understanding type 2 diabetes mellitus screening practices among primary care physicians: a qualitative chart-stimulated recall study. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:50 pubmed publisher..When patients were screened, test results were generally correctly interpreted and consistently communicated. Recommendations to patients with prediabetes could better reflect evidence-based strategies to prevent T2DM. ..
- Tan C, Alavi S, Baldeweg S, Belli A, Carson A, Feeney C, et al. The screening and management of pituitary dysfunction following traumatic brain injury in adults: British Neurotrauma Group guidance. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2017;88:971-981 pubmed publisher..It is hoped that future research will lead to more definitive recommendations in the form of guidelines. ..
- Hoffmann C, Mabuto T, Ginindza S, Fielding K, Kubeka G, Dowdy D, et al. Strategies to Accelerate HIV Care and Antiretroviral Therapy Initiation After HIV Diagnosis: A Randomized Trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75:540-547 pubmed publisher..0 (95% CI: 0.86 to 1.3, P = 0.6); 225 (38%) in the CF arm, HR: 1.4 (95% CI: 1.1 to 1.7, P = 0.001); and 180 (31%) in the transport arm, HR: 1.1 (95% CI: 0.88 to 1.3, P = 0.5). CF improved verified linkage to care from 29% to 38%. ..
- Martinez F, Flaherty K. Comprehensive and Individualized Patient Care in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: Refining Approaches to Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Treatment. Chest. 2017;151:1173-1174 pubmed publisher..An early referral to an interstitial lung disease center offers the advantages of comprehensive diagnostic and disease-management expertise, potential enrollment in a clinical trial, and evaluation for transplantation. ..
- Bilińska I, Kryst Ł. Effectiveness of a school-based intervention to reduce the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children aged 7-11 years from Pozna? (Poland). Anthropol Anz. 2017;74:89-100 pubmed publisher..It is possible that other adverse factors have a stronger influence on the body mass, which would suggest that the theoretical part of intervention concerning pro-health-related behaviors was not implemented in practice. ..
- Vachev A, Frolova E, Nefedova D. [Treatment of resistant arterial hypertension in the remote period after carotid endarterectomy]. Angiol Sosud Khir. 2017;23:170-174 pubmed
- Yoshinaga Itano C, Sedey A, Wiggin M, Chung W. Early Hearing Detection and Vocabulary of Children With Hearing Loss. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..In addition, intervention efforts need to focus on preventing widening delays with chronological age, assisting mothers with lower levels of education, and incorporating adults who are deaf/hard-of-hearing in the intervention process. ..
- Redfern E, Callaway M, Zakkar M, Bryan A. Improving outcomes in acute aortic dissection. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017;78:320-326 pubmed publisher..Improving outcomes is directly linked to early clinical diagnosis, swift confirmation by appropriate imaging and management by dedicated teams with high levels of expertise in a complex clinical condition. ..
- Striano S, Striano P. Clinical features and evolution of the gelastic seizures-hypothalamic hamartoma syndrome. Epilepsia. 2017;58 Suppl 2:12-15 pubmed publisher..Early suspicion, timely diagnosis, and appropriate treatment are mandatory to reverse a potential catastrophic evolution of this condition. ..
- Small W, Bacon M, Bajaj A, Chuang L, Fisher B, Harkenrider M, et al. Cervical cancer: A global health crisis. Cancer. 2017;123:2404-2412 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:2404-12. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Molnár C, Eldevik S. [Behavioral intervention for preschool children with autism – outcome of parent-based Intervention]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2017;45:181-191 pubmed publisher..This model of providing EIBI appears to hold some promise. Comprehensive parental involvement did not affect their stress level. The study need to be replicated with a larger sample and an improved design. ..
- Vaivada T, Gaffey M, Bhutta Z. Promoting Early Child Development With Interventions in Health and Nutrition: A Systematic Review. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..These findings should guide the prioritization and scale-up of interventions within critical periods of early infancy and childhood, and encourage research into their implementation at scale. ..
- Fogel J, Piwowar Manning E, Debevec B, Walsky T, Schlusser K, Laeyendecker O, et al. Brief Report: Impact of Early Antiretroviral Therapy on the Performance of HIV Rapid Tests and HIV Incidence Assays. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75:426-430 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of the antibody response to HIV infection in the setting of ART may impact population-level surveys of HIV prevalence and incidence. ..
- Henao M, Craig T. Understanding alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency: A review with an allergist's outlook. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2017;38:98-107 pubmed publisher..In this review, oriented toward specialists in allergy and immunology, we focused our discussion on the presentation, diagnosis, and treatment of pulmonary symptoms of AATD. ..
- Jermendy G. Vascular memory: can we broaden the concept of the metabolic memory?. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012;11:44 pubmed publisher..Additional experimental studies are needed to characterize the exact pathomechanism of vascular memory and further clinical trials are also essential to explore its real clinical significance. ..
- Hoult J, Matheson H. Long-term conditions. Spot future patients to find tomorrow's savings. Health Serv J. 2013;123:26, 28 pubmed
- Kaess M, Ghinea D, Fischer Waldschmidt G, Resch F. [The Outpatient Clinic for Adolescent Risk-taking and Self-harm behaviors (AtR!Sk) - A Pioneering Approach of Outpatient Early Detection and Intervention of Borderline Personality Disorder]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2017;66:404-422 pubmed publisher..AtR!Sk - as a pioneering approach in south Germany - provides evidence-based early detection and intervention for adolescent BPD. ..
- Bailey D, Berry Kravis E, Gane L, Guarda S, Hagerman R, Powell C, et al. Fragile X Newborn Screening: Lessons Learned From a Multisite Screening Study. Pediatrics. 2017;139:S216-S225 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the study provides answers to a number of questions that now set the stage for a next generation of research to determine the benefits of earlier identification for children and families. ..