Summary: Physicians who serve in a medical and administrative capacity as head of an organized medical staff and who also may serve as liaison for the medical staff with the administration and governing board.
- Davies H, Hodges C, Rundall T. Views of doctors and managers on the doctor-manager relationship in the NHS. BMJ. 2003;326:626-8 pubmed
- Hoff T. Physician executives in managed care: characteristics and job involvement across two career stages. J Healthc Manag. 1998;43:481-97 pubmedThis paper examines characteristics, job involvement, and career stage differences among 294 physician executives working in managed care settings...
- Ross W, Huang K, Jones G. Executive onboarding: ensuring the success of the newly hired department chair. Acad Med. 2014;89:728-33 pubmed publisher..Successful onboarding begins with a mindfulness of the needs of the newly hired chair, and a well-designed and well-implemented plan will have wide-ranging benefits for the chair and the organization. ..
- Reid W. So they want you to be their medical director. J Psychiatr Pract. 2011;17:208-11 pubmed publisher..Even medical directors of very small organizations, such as small private hospitals or clinics, routinely, and sometimes unknowingly, incur administrative and/or legal responsibilities for which they may later be held accountable. ..
- Golnik K, Lee A, Wilson M. A national program director survey of the shift to competency-based education in ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2008;115:1426-30, 1430.e1-2 pubmed publisher..Although some tools have been implemented by PDs for assessing the competencies, additional national and centralized resources would be helpful. ..
- Levenson S. Medical director: a pillar of quality. Provider. 2005;31:51-2, 54-5 pubmed
- Jones E. Self-care improves outcomes and outlook. Nephrol News Issues. 2007;21:S2 pubmed
- Griffith C, Wilson J, Haist S, Albritton T, Bognar B, Cohen S, et al. Internal medicine clerkship characteristics associated with enhanced student examination performance. Acad Med. 2009;84:895-901 pubmed publisher..Certain clerkship characteristics are associated with better student examination performance, the most salient being caring for more patients per day. ..
- Palmer R, Rayner H, Wall D. Multisource feedback: 360-degree assessment of professional skills of clinical directors. Health Serv Manage Res. 2007;20:183-8 pubmed..A simple validated questionnaire has been developed and successfully introduced for the 360-degree assessment of clinical directors. ..
- Turaga K, Green D, Jayakrishnan T, Hwang M, Gamblin T. Attributes of a surgical chairperson associated with extramural funding of a department of surgery. J Surg Res. 2013;185:549-54 pubmed publisher..This suggests the important role an academically productive surgical leader may play as a champion for the academic success of the department. ..
- O Connor E, Fiol C. Carrying the load together. Physician Exec. 2007;33:68-70 pubmed
- Torre D, Papp K, Elnicki M, Durning S. Clerkship directors' practices with respect to preparing students for and using the National Board of Medical Examiners Subject Exam in medicine: results of a United States and Canadian Survey. Acad Med. 2009;84:867-71 pubmed publisher..A need exists to develop remediation plans for students who fail the exam. This report may serve as a reference for curricular and programmatic clerkship decisions. ..
- Mellman L. Cultivating careers in the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training. Acad Psychiatry. 2007;31:101-2 pubmed
- Mitton C, MacNab Y, Smith N, Foster L. Injury data in British Columbia: policy maker perspectives on knowledge transfer. Chronic Dis Can. 2009;29:70-9 pubmed..These findings can likely be generalized to other jurisdictions and policy areas, and offer additional insight into the practicalities of knowledge transfer and exchange in researcher/decision maker partnerships. ..
- Boiselle P, Mainiero M. Impact of electronic resident evaluation systems on the timeliness, rate, and quality of responses. Survey of Association of Program Directors in Radiology members. J Am Coll Radiol. 2006;3:807-11 pubmed..Electronic systems are generally associated with an improved response rate and enhanced timeliness of responses in comparison with paper-based systems, without adversely affecting the quality of responses. ..
- Bustamante Ubilla M, del Río Rivero M, Lobos Andrade G, Villarreal Navarrete P. [Motivation perception measurement of intermediate directors in three complex hospitals of the Region of the Maule, Chile]. Salud Publica Mex. 2009;51:417-26 pubmed..It is affirmed that both motivational variables as well as demotivational variables are essentially qualitative and that economic and salary variables are less relevant and less hierarchical. ..
- Wurster A, Pearson K, Sonnad S, Mullen J, Kaiser L. The Patient Safety Leadership Academy at the University of Pennsylvania: the first cohort's learning experience. Qual Manag Health Care. 2007;16:166-73 pubmed..This study demonstrated that a leadership skills approach to patient safety training could improve knowledge in specific leadership areas and general patient safety. ..
- Souba W, Notestine M, Way D, Lucey C, Yu L, Sedmak D. Do deans and teaching hospital CEOs agree on what it takes to be a successful clinical department chair?. Acad Med. 2011;86:974-81 pubmed publisher..CEOs were biased toward patient care, clinical quality, and results, whereas deans placed more emphasis on research, education, and mentoring. ..
- Shannon D. Physician executive job market appears strong. Physician Exec. 2008;34:6-7, 10-1 pubmed
- Hernandez J, Varkey P. Vertical versus lateral thinking. Physician Exec. 2008;34:26-8 pubmed..Traditional medical training may actually impede a physician's ability to solve complex problems because it is based on vertical, linear and traditional thinking. ..
- Crites G, Ebert J, Schuster R, Shuster R. Beyond the dual degree: development of a five-year program in leadership for medical undergraduates. Acad Med. 2008;83:52-8 pubmed..Future program initiatives include developing leadership student assessment tools and testing the link between program activities and short- and long-term outcome measures of program success. ..
- Sanfey H, Boehler M, DaRosa D, Dunnington G. Career development needs of vice chairs for education in departments of surgery. J Surg Educ. 2012;69:156-61 pubmed publisher..0 ± 0 vs 2.15 ± 0.87). This information will inform the future career development of VCESDs and will assist Department Chairs who wish to recruit and retain VCESDs. ..
- Go P, Klaassen Z, Chamberlain R. Attitudes and practices of surgery residency program directors toward the use of social networking profiles to select residency candidates: a nationwide survey analysis. J Surg Educ. 2012;69:292-300 pubmed publisher..SN profiles should reflect the professional standards to which physicians are held while highlighting an applicant's strengths and academic achievements. ..
- Nowalk M, Zimmerman R, Middleton D, Sherwood R, Ko F, Kimmel S, et al. An evaluation of immunization education resources by family medicine residency directors. Fam Med. 2007;39:715-9 pubmed..As the field continues to change, the use of electronic resources is expected to continue, since they are easily updated and, in the case of www.ImmunizationEd.org and Shots software, are available free of charge. ..
- Gearhart S, Wang M, Gilson M, Chen B, Kern D. Teaching and assessing technical proficiency in surgical subspecialty fellowships. J Surg Educ. 2012;69:521-8 pubmed publisher..These findings provide guidance for the development of newer methods of teaching and assessment. ..
- Dedy N, Zevin B, Bonrath E, Grantcharov T. Current concepts of team training in surgical residency: a survey of North American program directors. J Surg Educ. 2013;70:578-84 pubmed publisher..For the design of future curricula, the vast majority of responding PDs advocated for the combination of interactive didactic methods and opportunities for practice. ..
- Steiger B. Special report: quality of care survey. Doctors say many obstacles block paths to patient safety. Physician Exec. 2007;33:6-14 pubmed
- Bermejo Pareja F, Iglesias Casarrubios P, Calleja P, Ruiz Lopez P. [Opinions on the organisation of health care in strokes. A survey among hospital medical directors in Spain]. Rev Neurol. 2009;48:395-9 pubmed..The data obtained show that medical directors should improve their attitudes with regard to the care of stroke patients. ..
- Jakubowski E, Martin Moreno J, McKee M. The governments' doctors: the roles and responsibilities of chief medical officers in the European Union. Clin Med (Lond). 2010;10:560-2 pubmed..Although the diversity of health systems means that these roles cannot be harmonised, there is scope to explore what can be learnt from the different approaches. ..
- Wish J. What is expected of a medical director in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Conditions of Coverage?. Blood Purif. 2011;31:61-5 pubmed publisher..The success of a medical director in shepherding positive change in a dialysis facility can be immensely satisfying as it impacts on patients other than his/her own. ..
- Drolet B, Whittle S, Khokhar M, Fischer S, Pallant A. Approval and perceived impact of duty hour regulations: survey of pediatric program directors. Pediatrics. 2013;132:819-24 pubmed publisher..The opinions expressed by PDs in this study should prompt research using quantitative metrics to assess the true impact of duty hour regulations. ..
- Jacobs V, Mallmann P. Chief medical clinic manager of a university OB/GYN clinic--an innovative job description as management response for increase of profitability, quality of care, and physicians' freedom of action. Onkologie. 2010;33:331-6 pubmed publisher..A CMCM thereby increases financial and organizational freedom of action at the clinic level in a non-profit public health care system. ..
- Woo K. Physician leadership. Singapore Med J. 2007;48:1069-73 pubmed..They should be just seen and not heard and go about their work quietly, contributing to the department. A retired leader should be able to command respect from his peers and preserve his dignity. ..
- Thompson R. An ethics agenda for 2007. Physician Exec. 2007;33:58-60 pubmed
- Chervenak F, McCullough L. Dilemmas of cooperation for physician leaders. Physician Exec. 2007;33:46-50 pubmed
- Silbaugh B. Physician executive finds Poland's health care system shares many of the same problems as the U.S. system. Physician Exec. 2007;33:92-3 pubmed
- Friedberg R, Rauch C. The role of the medical laboratory director. Clin Lab Med. 2007;27:719-31, v pubmed..At the same time, the Medical Director must be able to measure and demonstrate the value of his/her contribution in today's competitive environment. ..
- von Vultée P, Axelsson R, Arnetz B. The impact of organisational settings on physician wellbeing. Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2007;20:506-15 pubmed..Furthermore enhancing physician influence over decision making processes is important to counteract work-related exhaustion and it might also contribute to a more efficient organization. ..
- Boiselle P, Donohoe K, Graham D, Siewert B, Jennette R, Hatabu H, et al. The triumvirate: a new model for residency program directorship. J Am Coll Radiol. 2007;4:913-8 pubmed..They also discuss potential benefits of the triumvirate model in comparison with a traditional residency directorship and potential pitfalls to avoid when implementing this model. ..
- Etheridge F, Tannenbaum C, Couturier Y. A systemwide formula for continence care: overcoming barriers, clarifying solutions, and defining team members' roles. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008;9:178-89 pubmed publisher..The results of our research provide guidance for overcoming barriers to the implementation and maintenance of a continence program and for defining team members' roles in this endeavour. ..
- Studnek J, Fernandez A, Margolis G, O Connor R. Physician medical oversight in emergency medical services: where are we?. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2009;13:53-8 pubmed publisher..Nearly one-third of participants in this study reported having limited medical director contact. Certification level, service type, and community size were significantly associated with the amount of contact with medical direction. ..
- Bartelme T. Formation of a leader. Physician Exec. 2007;33:14-8 pubmed
- Thomas K, West C, Popkave C, Bellini L, Weinberger S, Kolars J, et al. Alternative approaches to ambulatory training: internal medicine residents' and program directors' perspectives. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24:904-10 pubmed publisher..Further study regarding benefits and barriers of ambulatory redesign is needed. ..
- Guthrie M. Medical staff make-up facing shake-up. Physician Exec. 2008;34:22-5 pubmed..With financial, occupational and political pressures rising, hospital medical staffs will eventually be forced to change in order to meet the demands of today's health care market. ..
- Ephgrave K, Ferguson K, Shaaban A, Hoshi H. Resources and rewards for clerkship directors: how surgery compares. Am J Surg. 2010;199:66-71 pubmed publisher..Surgery CDs are clinically active and academically productive. Although few surgery CDs have the recommended support staff, more than 95% report being a CD enhances work satisfaction. ..
- Kessler C, Shakeel F, Hern H, Jones J, Comes J, Kulstad C, et al. An algorithm for transition of care in the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med. 2013;20:605-10 pubmed publisher..Standardizing the process of the ToC may allow for future research on the link between effective ToC and patient outcomes. ..
- Yeh S, Wan T, Huang C, Lo Y. Ambulatory care visits and physician satisfaction: from medical directors' perspectives. Health Care Manage Rev. 2007;32:236-44 pubmed..Reducing ambulatory care visits has promoted the physician-patient relationship and allowed many physicians attain their medical mission. Such regulation had influence on the physicians' satisfaction. ..
- Lakner L. [Interview with dr. László Lakner]. Orv Hetil. 2007;148:1440 pubmed
- Gabel S. Expanding the scope of leadership training in medicine. Acad Med. 2014;89:848-52 pubmed publisher..He concludes by arguing in favor of expanding the scope of leadership training to include informal as well as formal leaders. ..