Summary: The practice of replacing one prescribed drug with another that is expected to have the same clinical or psychological effect.
- Katanić D, Vorgucin I, Hattersley A, Ellard S, Houghton J, Obreht D, et al. A successful transition to sulfonylurea treatment in male infant with neonatal diabetes caused by the novel abcc8 gene mutation and three years follow-up. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017;129:59-61 pubmed publisher..A case of two months aged male infant with life threatening diabetic ketoacidosis is presented with novel ABCC8 gene mutation (p.F577L), successful transition from insulin to sulfonylurea and follow-up of three years. ..
- Dougados M, van der Heijde D, Sieper J, Braun J, Citera G, Lenaerts J, et al. Effects of Long-Term Etanercept Treatment on Clinical Outcomes and Objective Signs of Inflammation in Early Nonradiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis: 104-Week Results From a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017;69:1590-1598 pubmed publisher..Patients with early, active nonradiographic axial SpA and an inadequate response to at least 2 NSAIDs demonstrated improvement in clinical and imaging outcomes that were sustained through 104 weeks of etanercept treatment. ..
- . Introduction to inactivated polio vaccine and switch from trivalent to bivalent oral poliovirus vaccine worldwide, 2013-2016. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2015;90:337-43 pubmed
- Bandeira A, Elias D, Cavalcante M, Lima D, Távora L. Antiretroviral changes during the first year of therapy. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2017;63:606-612 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to analyze the first year of HAART use in patients from a reference center on HIV/AIDS management in Fortaleza, Ceará...
- Saverno K, Gothe H, Schuessel K, Biskupiak J, Schulz M, Siebert U, et al. Consideration of international generic distribution policies on patient outcomes in the United States and Germany. Pharmazie. 2014;69:238-40 pubmed
- Pitzer M, Engelmann G, Stammschulte T. [Tardive movement disorders with antipsychotics – a case of aripirazole-induced tardive dystonia and review of the literature]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2017;45:325-334 pubmed publisher..During medication with SGAs, the occurrence of EPS, including tardive movement disorders, should be considered and regularly monitored. ..
- Glintborg B, Sørensen I, Loft A, Lindegaard H, Linauskas A, Hendricks O, et al. A nationwide non-medical switch from originator infliximab to biosimilar CT-P13 in 802 patients with inflammatory arthritis: 1-year clinical outcomes from the DANBIO registry. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1426-1431 pubmed publisher..Adjusted 1-year CT-P13 retention rate was slightly lower than for INX in a historic cohort. ..
- Thibault V, Leguelinel Blache G, Obled S, Loriot V, Phouttasang V, Wolf P, et al. [Chemotherapy for colorectal cancer: Pragmatic assessment of prescription changes and relative dose intensity]. Bull Cancer. 2017;104:714-720 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of toxicities before the patient's arrival is expected to target patients for which the drug preparation can be anticipated and for which a cycle postponement, dose adjustment or discontinuation is necessary. ..
- . Fractional-dose inactivated poliovirus vaccination campaign, Telangana state, India, June 2016. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2016;91:397-403 pubmed
- Hariri A, Diniz B, Fou L, Lam L, Nittala M, Sadda S. Quantitative OCT subanalysis of eyes with choroidal neovascularization switched from multiple injections of bevacizumab or ranibizumab to intravitreal aflibercept. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2015;46:195-200 pubmed publisher..Switching to aflibercept therapy in eyes with persistent fluid after multiple intravitreal injections of bevacizumab or ranibizumab was associated with an early reduction in all fluid compartments and improvement in visual acuity. ..
- Elwes F, Borooah S, Aspinall P, Sim P, Loo C, Armbrecht A, et al. Clinical outcomes of switching to aflibercept using a pro re nata treatment regimen in patients with neovascular age-related macular degeneration who incompletely responded to ranibizumab. BMC Ophthalmol. 2018;18:20 pubmed publisher..However, the benefits of switching were gradually lost over time with AFL PRN dosing despite an increased injection rate when compared with RBZ PRN treatment. Not applicable. ..
- Plasencia C, Pascual Salcedo D, García Carazo S, Lojo L, Nuno L, Villalba A, et al. The immunogenicity to the first anti-TNF therapy determines the outcome of switching to a second anti-TNF therapy in spondyloarthritis patients. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R79 pubmed publisher..6%) without ADA vs. 3 out of 11 (27.3%) with ADA, p = 0.002). In SpA the failure to respond to the first anti-TNF drug due to the presence of ADA predicts a better clinical response to a second anti-TNF drug. ..
- Smits L, Grelack A, Derikx L, de Jong D, van Esch A, Boshuizen R, et al. Long-Term Clinical Outcomes After Switching from Remicade® to Biosimilar CT-P13 in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:3117-3122 pubmed publisher..These 1-year data suggest that switching to CT-P13 in Remicade®-treated IBD patients is safe and feasible. ..
- Otani M. Treatment of Tinea Pedis in Elderly Patients Using External Preparations. Med Mycol J. 2017;58:J35-J41 pubmed publisher..Since the adherence rate of external preparations is low, it is preferable to use those with strong antibacterial activity and only have to be applied once a day. ..
- Mittal S. Slow junctional rhythm, QTc prolongation and transient torsades de-pointes following combined use of Ivabradine, Diltiazem and Ranolazine. J Assoc Physicians India. 2014;62:426-7 pubmed..Effect of Diltiazem on hepatic isoenzyme CYP 3A could be responsible. Such a combination should be avoided. ..
- Bartlett J, Ahmed I, Regan M, Sestak I, Mallon E, Dell Orto P, et al. HER2 status predicts for upfront AI benefit: A TRANS-AIOG meta-analysis of 12,129 patients from ATAC, BIG 1-98 and TEAM with centrally determined HER2. Eur J Cancer. 2017;79:129-138 pubmed publisher..Other causes, perhaps related to subtle differences between AIs, cannot be excluded and warrant further exploration. ..
- Mohamed S, Johnson G, Chen P, Hicks P, Davis L, Yoon J, et al. Effect of Antidepressant Switching vs Augmentation on Remission Among Patients With Major Depressive Disorder Unresponsive to Antidepressant Treatment: The VAST-D Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:132-145 pubmed publisher..Given the small effect size and adverse effects associated with aripiprazole, further analysis including cost-effectiveness is needed to understand the net utility of this approach. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01421342. ..
- Nomoto H, Kimachi K, Miyoshi H, Kameda H, Cho K, Nakamura A, et al. Effects of 50 mg vildagliptin twice daily vs. 50 mg sitagliptin once daily on blood glucose fluctuations evaluated by long-term self-monitoring of blood glucose. Endocr J. 2017;64:417-424 pubmed publisher..There were no significant differences in other metabolic parameters evaluated. Reduction of daily blood glucose profile fluctuations by vildagliptin was superior to that of sitagliptin in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Steinig I, von Podewils F, Moddel G, Bauer S, Klein K, Paule E, et al. Postmarketing experience with brivaracetam in the treatment of epilepsies: A multicenter cohort study from Germany. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1208-1216 pubmed publisher..The occurrence of BAE during previous LEV exposure predicted poor psychobehavioral tolerability of BRV treatment. A switch to BRV can be considered in patients with LEV-induced BAE. ..
- Patel A, Wilds B, Deininger M. Treating the chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia patient: which TKI, when to switch and when to stop?. Expert Rev Hematol. 2017;10:659-674 pubmed publisher..Goals of therapy have shifted accordingly, with increased focus on improving quality of life, managing patient expectations and optimizing patient adherence. ..
- Barbieri E, Rubino D, Hakim R, Fini A, Lenzi M, Zamagni C. Eribulin long-term response and rechallenge: report of two clinical cases. Future Oncol. 2017;13:35-43 pubmed publisher..These anecdotal experiences suggest that rechallenge with eribulin could represent a treatment strategy for advanced MBC and it should be evaluated in a larger study. ..
- Karpe K, Talaulikar G, Walters G. Calcineurin inhibitor withdrawal or tapering for kidney transplant recipients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;7:CD006750 pubmed publisher..These conclusions must be tempered by the lack of long-term data in most of the studies, particularly with regards to chronic antibody-mediated rejection, and the suboptimal methodological quality of the included studies. ..
- Shin J, Chu K, Jung K, Lee S, Moon J, Lee S. Switching between phenytoin generics in patients with epilepsy may lead to increased risk of breakthrough seizure: chart analysis and practice recommendations. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2014;52:1017-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, when using or switching generic anti-epileptic drugs, therapeutic drug monitoring must be done, and the patients' condition must be considered. ..
- Soo Hoo S, Seong J, Porten B, Skeik N. Challenges of Takayasu Arteritis in Pregnancy: A Case Report. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:195-198 pubmed publisher..This case provides a rare glimpse of Takayasu arteritis in pregnancy and highlights the challenges of medical management in gravid patients. ..
- Choy E, Bernasconi C, Aassi M, Molina J, Epis O. Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis With Anti-Tumor Necrosis Factor or Tocilizumab Therapy as First Biologic Agent in a Global Comparative Observational Study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017;69:1484-1494 pubmed publisher..98 and 5.03 for serious infections, and 0.74 and 0.77 for deaths, respectively. Patients initiating tocilizumab experienced greater effectiveness and drug survival than those initiating TNFi in an observational setting. ..
- Newcomer J, Weiden P, Buchanan R. Switching antipsychotic medications to reduce adverse event burden in schizophrenia: establishing evidence-based practice. J Clin Psychiatry. 2013;74:1108-20 pubmed publisher..Before initiating a switch, patients should be educated about what to expect during the process. Studies also support gradual discontinuation of the current medication in order to minimize problems early in the switching process. ..
- Md Yusof M, Shaw D, El Sherbiny Y, Dunn E, Rawstron A, Emery P, et al. Predicting and managing primary and secondary non-response to rituximab using B-cell biomarkers in systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1829-1836 pubmed publisher..To assess factors associated with primary and secondary non-response to rituximab in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and evaluate management of secondary non-depletion non-response (2NDNR)...
- Robinson J, Whaley C, Brown T. Association of Reference Pricing with Drug Selection and Spending. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:658-665 pubmed publisher..Funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Genentech Foundation.). ..
- Nakamura K, Inokuchi R, Daidoji H, Naraba H, Sonoo T, Hashimoto H, et al. Efficacy of levetiracetam versus fosphenytoin for the recurrence of seizures after status epilepticus. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7206 pubmed publisher..LEV is effective and safe at preventing recurrent seizures after status epilepticus following benzodiazepine treatment. ..
- Ovrakh T, Serik S, Kochubiei O. [IMPACT OF ATORVASTATIN AND ROSUVASTATIN ON RESIDUAL ON-CLOPIDOGREL TREATMENT PLATELET REACTIVITY IN PATIENTS WITH ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE AND TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS AFTER ACUTE CORONARY SYNDROME]. Georgian Med News. 2017;:7-14 pubmed..This approach will provide lower RCPR within at least first 4-6 weeks after ACS and prevent RCPR increase during 12 months of DATT use in this patients group. ..
- Waizel M, Todorova M, Masyk M, Wolf K, Rickmann A, Helaiwa K, et al. Switch to aflibercept or ranibizumab after initial treatment with bevacizumab in eyes with neovascular AMD. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:79 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, even if the switch to aflibercept shows a minimal functional benefit over that to ranibizumab, visual prognosis remains limited. ..
- Zhang H, Gauthier G, Hiscock R, Curtis J. Treatment patterns in psoriatic arthritis patients newly initiated on oral nonbiologic or biologic disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs. Arthritis Res Ther. 2014;16:420 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of factors related to these early treatment changes in PsA patients is needed. ..
- Schröder J, Fietz T, Köhler A, Petersen V, Tesch H, Spring L, et al. Treatment and pattern of bone metastases in 1094 patients with advanced breast cancer - Results from the prospective German Tumour Registry Breast Cancer cohort study. Eur J Cancer. 2017;79:139-148 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first presentation of data on incidence, metastatic pattern, treatment and survival of patients with bone metastases in routine practice. ..
- Ducassou S, Leverger G, Fernandes H, Chambost H, Bertrand Y, Armari Alla C, et al. Benefits of rituximab as a second-line treatment for autoimmune haemolytic anaemia in children: a prospective French cohort study. Br J Haematol. 2017;177:751-758 pubmed publisher..All subgroups of patients drew benefit. Our long-term results indicate the baseline to be challenged by new treatment approaches. ..
- Chang W, Kang E, Lee S, Kim S, Kim D, Kim S, et al. Thalidomide, cyclophosphamide and dexamethasone induction therapy: feasibility for myeloma patients destined for autologous stem cell transplantation. Acta Haematol. 2014;132:226-32 pubmed..6 months). TCD chemotherapy can be an effective and feasible induction regimen prior to ASCT for myeloma patients. ..
- Tsai K, Erickson S, Yang J, Harada A, Solow B, Lew H. Adherence, persistence, and switching patterns of dabigatran etexilate. Am J Manag Care. 2013;19:e325-32 pubmed..These findings highlight potential gaps in the care of patients treated with dabigatran in routine practice. ..