drug information services
Summary: Services providing pharmaceutic and therapeutic drug information and consultation.
- Skoglund I, Segesten K, Bjorkelund C. GPs' thoughts on prescribing medication and evidence-based knowledge: the benefit aspect is a strong motivator. A descriptive focus group study. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2007;25:98-104 pubmed..GPs' thoughts on evidence-based medicine and prescribing medication were highly related to reflecting on benefit and results. The interviews indicated that prompt and pragmatic benefit is important for comprehending their thoughts. ..
- Frost Widnes S, Schjøtt J. Advice on drug safety in pregnancy: are there differences between commonly used sources of information?. Drug Saf. 2008;31:799-806 pubmed..We believe that the problem with heterogeneous drug information on this subject is not confined to Norway and that our results should be of international interest. ..
- Reppe L, Spigset O, Schjøtt J. Which factors predict the time spent answering queries to a drug information centre?. Pharm World Sci. 2010;32:799-804 pubmed publisher..The categorisation of queries as judgmental or not, also affected the time spent answering the queries. The number of drugs involved did not significantly influence the time spent answering drug information queries. ..
- Rahmner P, Eiermann B, Korkmaz S, Gustafsson L, Gruvén M, Maxwell S, et al. Physicians' reported needs of drug information at point of care in Sweden. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73:115-25 pubmed publisher..Most of the required information from physicians appeared to be possible to transfer from current SmPCs to CDSSs. However, inconsistencies in the SmPC information have to be reduced to enhance their utility. ..
- May F, Rowett D, Gilbert A, McNeece J, Hurley E. Outcomes of an educational-outreach service for community medical practitioners: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Med J Aust. 1999;170:471-4 pubmed..A focus on risk-minimisation in prescribing of NSAIDs appears to have contributed to reductions in hospitalisations for GI adverse events. ..
- Schjøtt J, Pomp E, Gedde Dahl A. Quality and impact of problem-oriented drug information: a method to change clinical practice among physicians?. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2002;57:897-902 pubmed..Problem-oriented drug information could be a method to change clinical practice among physicians. ..
- Weaver S, Hatton R, Doering P. Evaluation of online drug references for identifying over-the-counter solid oral dosage forms. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2004;44:694-9 pubmed..Using these six online references, nonprescription drugs could be identified more frequently than could dietary supplements. The lack of imprints on many dietary supplements is an impediment to identification of these products. ..
- Clauson K, Seamon M, Clauson A, Van T. Evaluation of drug information databases for personal digital assistants. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2004;61:1015-24 pubmed..Drug information databases for PDAs varied in scope, completeness, and ease of use. The results may help clinicians find the most appropriate product for their practice setting. ..
- Nicolson D, Knapp P, Raynor D, Grime J, Pollock K. Do themes in consumer medicines information literature reviews reflect those important to stakeholders?. Patient Educ Couns. 2006;64:112-8 pubmed..The findings suggest the importance of involving patients in the development of patient literature from the outset. ..
- Enders S, Enders J, Holstad S. Drug-information software for Palm operating system personal digital assistants: breadth, clinical dependability, and ease of use. Pharmacotherapy. 2002;22:1036-40 pubmed..LexiComp Platinum offered the greatest breadth of information and the most clinically dependable content. MobileMicromedex was the least helpful of these products for answering straightforward drug-information questions. ..
- Caamano F, Figueiras A, Gestal Otero J. Influence of commercial information on prescription quantity in primary care. Eur J Public Health. 2002;12:187-91 pubmed
- Raschke C, Hatton R, Weaver S, Belgado B. Evaluation of electronic databases used to identify solid oral dosage forms. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2003;60:1735-40 pubmed..A combination of electronic drug identification databases provides the best method of drug identification in an institutional setting. ..
- Kupferberg N, Jones Hartel L. Evaluation of five full-text drug databases by pharmacy students, faculty, and librarians: do the groups agree?. J Med Libr Assoc. 2004;92:66-71 pubmed..Although there are many online drug databases to consider, present findings offer strong support for eFacts, Lexi-Drugs, and DRUGDEX. ..
- Lexchin J. What information do physicians receive from pharmaceutical representatives?. Can Fam Physician. 1997;43:941-5 pubmed..search from January 1966 to May 1996 was done using combinations of the terms pharmaceutical industry, drug information services, drug utilization, physician's practice patterns and prescriptions, and drugs...
- Vitols S, Vetr A, Tomson T. [It's possible to influence prescriptions patterns by producer-independent information]. Lakartidningen. 2004;101:2573-5 pubmed..The finding underlines the need for repeated information when effects on prescription habits are wanted. ..
- Waack K, Ernst M, Graber M. Informational content of official pharmaceutical industry web sites about treatments for erectile dysfunction. Ann Pharmacother. 2004;38:2029-34 pubmed..It is largely promotional and provides only limited information needed to effectively compare treatment options. ..
- Galt K, Rule A, Houghton B, Young D, Remington G. Personal digital assistant-based drug information sources: potential to improve medication safety. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005;93:229-36 pubmed..No resource was sufficient to address the patient safety information needs for all cases. ..
- ..Despite known physiologic changes of pregnancy, drug dosages are widely assumed to be the same as the healthy adult. An informational source is needed which addresses the therapeutic issues of pregnant women. ..
- Gangineni K, Scase A, Fearn J. Propofol and peanut allergy. Anaesthesia. 2007;62:1191 pubmed
- Onda M, Okuda N, Kosaka N, Takahashi N, Matsuura M, Yamaguchi Y, et al. [Basic study to establish medication safety culture with patient-commitment style in community pharmacy: An examination from meeting reports]. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2007;127:2075-8 pubmed
- Asiri Y, Al Arifi M, Al Sultan M, Gubara O. Evaluation of drug and poison information center in Saudi Arabia during the period 2000-2002. Saudi Med J. 2007;28:617-9 pubmed..The most common resources used were Drugdex and internet, reference books, Iowa Drug Information Services (IDIS), PubMed and Poisondex. The time devoted to the service is varied ranging from 5 minutes to weeks...
- Sugimura N. [Compassionate use mechanisms in Europe]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2007;34:287-9 pubmed..The current Japanese "Private Import System" has caused some problems. I think that we need an appropriate "Compassionate Use system" in Japan. ..
- Bach L. Specialist societies can assist. Med J Aust. 2007;186:483 pubmed
- Mowry J, Spyker D, Cantilena L, McMillan N, Ford M. 2013 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS): 31st Annual Report. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2014;52:1032-283 pubmed publisher..NPDS is a model system for the nation and global public health. ..
- Salgado T, Argüello B, Martinez Martinez F, Benrimoj S, Fernandez Llimos F. Clinical relevance of information in the Summaries of Product Characteristics for dose adjustment in renal impairment. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2013;69:1973-9 pubmed publisher..These shortcomings might limit their usefulness for healthcare professionals and integration into clinical decision-making support systems. ..
- Kendall M, Enright D. Provision of medicines information: the example of the British National Formulary. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73:934-8 pubmed publisher..Whatever systems are used, the information on drugs must be reliable and, ideally, all prescribers and dispensers in the UK should be guided by the same data source. ..
- Garrett B, Jackson C. A mobile clinical e-portfolio for nursing and medical students, using wireless personal digital assistants (PDAs). Nurse Educ Today. 2006;26:647-54 pubmed
- Kimberlin C, Jamison A, Linden S, Winterstein A. Patient counseling practices in U.S. pharmacies: effects of having pharmacists hand the medication to the patient and state regulations on pharmacist counseling. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2011;51:527-34 pubmed publisher..The importance of the direct encounter between the pharmacist and patient and strict state regulations mandating that pharmacists counsel patients with new prescriptions were highlighted by these findings. ..
- Nelson S, Zeng K, Kilbourne J, POWELL T, Moore R. Normalized names for clinical drugs: RxNorm at 6 years. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18:441-8 pubmed publisher..While related products such as RxTerms, RxNav, MyMedicationList, and MyRxPad have been recognized as helpful for various uses, tasks such as identifying exactly what is and is not on the market remain a challenge. ..
- Barrett J, Narayan M, Patel D, Zuppa A, Adamson P. Prescribing habits and caregiver satisfaction with resources for dosing children: rationale for more informative dosing guidance. BMC Pediatr. 2011;11:25 pubmed publisher..Decision support systems connected to hospital-based electronic medical records offer the promise of informative and individualized pharmacotherapy guidance. ..
- López Hidalgo M, Aguado Gómez A, Sánchez Ruiz M, García Moreno Rodríguez G, Alejandre Lázaro G. [How are the websites of pharmaceutical companies directed at users?]. Aten Primaria. 2010;42:273-7 pubmed publisher..If Internet health information was truthful and backed up by authors or appropriate information sources, the Internet could well be a genuine health education tool. ..
- Bousquet P, Demoly P, Romano A, Aberer W, Bircher A, Blanca M, et al. Pharmacovigilance of drug allergy and hypersensitivity using the ENDA-DAHD database and the GALEN platform. The Galenda project. Allergy. 2009;64:194-203 pubmed publisher..The GA(2)LEN-ENDA-DAHD platform interacting with a pharmacovigilance network appears to be of great interest for the reporting of allergy/hypersensitivity ADRs in conjunction with other pharmacovigilance instruments. ..
- Garcia Bournissen F, Tsur L, Goldstein L, Staroselsky A, Avner M, Asrar F, et al. Fetal exposure to isotretinoin-an international problem. Reprod Toxicol. 2008;25:124-8 pubmed..Two babies were born with malformations. Since isotretinoin-exposed pregnancies still occur, there is a need for more effective strategies, which should take into account the cultural differences. ..
- Arguello B, Fernandez Llimos F. Clinical pharmacology information in summaries of product characteristics and package inserts. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2007;82:566-71 pubmed..An improved access to and regular review of the SPCs might substantially improve the access and quality of clinical pharmacology and other prescribing information. ..
- Doran D, Haynes R, Kushniruk A, Straus S, Grimshaw J, Hall L, et al. Supporting evidence-based practice for nurses through information technologies. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2010;7:4-15 pubmed publisher..It is feasible to provide nurses with access to evidence-based practice resources via mobile information technologies to reduce the barriers to research utilization. ..
- Tumwikirize W, Ogwal Okeng J, Vernby O, Anokbonggo W, Gustafsson L, Lundborg C. Access and use of medicines information sources by physicians in public hospitals in Uganda: a cross-sectional survey. Afr Health Sci. 2008;8:220-6 pubmed..Therefore, there is need to assess the feasibility of establishing a drug information centre, and then assess its use during a trial period. ..
- Benizri F, Balladur E, Darse J, Guerin J, Boudy V, Echard M, et al. [Quality insurance system establishment in the management of home-based chemotherapy: example of hospital at home "Assistance publique-Hôpitaux de Paris"]. Bull Cancer. 2010;97:1073-85 pubmed publisher..This experience can offer an important support for other centres in their approach of quality insurance for home chemotherapy. ..
- Horiuchi T, Nakamura M, Tsuchiya T. [Contribution of the pharmacists to self-care and primary care with nonprescription medications]. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2010;130:1623-7 pubmed..In this review, social responsibility on the treatment with nonprescription medications and their information provided by the community pharmacists in future is discussed. ..
- Pattillo R, Brewer M, Smith C. Tracking clinical use of personal digital assistant reference resources. Nurse Educ. 2007;32:39-42 pubmed..The authors discuss the results of that activity and provide a starting point for the evaluation of the use of personal digital assistants by nursing students. ..
- Fiechtner H. A review of immunization information sources. S D Med. 2007;60:490-1 pubmed
- Pham C, Dickman R. Minimizing adverse drug events in older patients. Am Fam Physician. 2007;76:1837-44 pubmed..The incorporation of computerized alerts and a multidisciplinary approach can reduce adverse drug events. ..
- Nathan J. Drug information--the systematic approach: continuing education article. J Pharm Pract. 2013;26:78-84 pubmed publisher..The practitioner must be mindful to couple the published literature with clinical experience, knowledge, and logic in order to achieve optimal clinical outcomes. ..
- Takano Ohmuro H, Nakajima Y, Saito M, Yuda Y. [Development of an Informative System for Consumers and Pharmacists Aimed at the Proper Use of Kampo OTCs]. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2016;136:273-9 pubmed publisher..We believe these risk-benefit communication tools, SCC and IP, will contribute to improve the proper use of Kampo OTCs. ..
- Machado Alba J, Moreno GutiÃ©rrez P, Moncada Escobar J. Hospital medication errors in a pharmacovigilance system in Colombia. Farm Hosp. 2015;39:338-43 pubmed publisher..Conclusiones: es necesario aumentar la cobertura de los sistemas de reporte de errores de medicacion, y crear estrategias para su prevencion, especialmente en la etapa de administracion del medicamento. ..
- Boon H, Kachan N. Natural health product labels: is more information always better?. Patient Educ Couns. 2007;68:193-9 pubmed..The additional risk information may generate more NHP-related questions for health care practitioners especially with respect to possible interactions between NHPs and conventional medicines. ..
- Gremeaux V, Durand S, Benaim C, Herisson C, Monleaud J, Hansel S, et al. Evaluation of various ways to deliver information concerning non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to osteoarthritis patients. Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2013;56:14-29 pubmed publisher..Using standardized information sheets with a validated content could help pharmacists in their role as healthcare education provider and effectively complement the information delivered orally. ..
- Vardell E, Goolabsingh D, Vaidhyanathan V. Pillbox: a solid dosage medication identification tool. Med Ref Serv Q. 2011;30:382-92 pubmed publisher..Users enter physical characteristics of a medication, possible matches are provided, and links to additional resources are offered. A comparison with comparable resources was conducted, and future enhancements to Pillbox are discussed. ..
- Kurokawa T. [Post-marketing drug safety measures for the attainment of safer and more effective use of drug]. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2011;131:885-90 pubmed..Through such activities, we could expect significant improvement of drug safety measures in post-marketing phase which would effectively cover not only new drugs but also generic and bio-simulated drugs. ..
- Rygnestad T, Slørdal L. [Is the latest always the best?]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2008;128:680 pubmed
- Hansford D, Cunningham S, John D, McCaig D, Stewart D. Community pharmacists' views, attitudes and early experiences of over-the-counter simvastatin. Pharm World Sci. 2007;29:380-5 pubmed..However, very few sales of OTC simvastatin had been made and a variety of issues were identified, particularly relating to the evidence base, access to clinical information, cost and the product licence. ..
- Kawasumi Y, Tamblyn R, Platt R, Ernst P, Abrahamowicz M, Taylor L. Evaluation of the use of an integrated drug information system by primary care physicians for vulnerable population. Int J Med Inform. 2008;77:98-106 pubmed..00; 95%CI: 2.22-7.17). Primary care physicians were more likely to access electronic information on current drug use for patients of low SES taking multiple medications and with fragmented care. ..