Summary: A nursing specialty concerned with the care provided to cancer patients. It includes aspects of family functioning through education of both patient and family.
- Stajduhar K, Tayler C. Taking an "upstream" approach in the care of dying cancer patients: the case for a palliative approach. Can Oncol Nurs J. 2014;24:144-53 pubmed..Oncology nurses have an important role to play in facilitating a palliative approach, transforming the ways in which cancer patients are cared for within our health care system. ..
- Marchand P. The clinical nurse specialist as nurse navigator: ordinary role presents extraordinary experience. Can Oncol Nurs J. 2010;20:80-3 pubmed
- Wiencek C, Coyne P. Palliative care delivery models. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2014;30:227-33 pubmed publisher..Oncology nurses should demonstrate generalist skills in the care of the seriously ill and access specialist palliative care providers as warranted by the patient's condition. ..
- Lynch M, DeDonato D, Kutney Lee A. Geriatric Oncology Program Development and Gero-Oncology Nursing. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2016;32:44-54 pubmed publisher..Preparations include workforce development and the creation of programs that are designed to meet the complex needs of this population. ..
- Barton Burke M. Gemcitabine: a pharmacologic and clinical overview. Cancer Nurs. 1999;22:176-83 pubmed
- Conley S, Buckley P, Magarace L, HSIEH C, Pedulla L. Standardizing Best Nursing Practice for Implanted Ports: Applying Evidence-based Professional Guidelines to Prevent Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections. J Infus Nurs. 2017;40:165-174 pubmed publisher..This article identifies strategies implemented at a comprehensive ambulatory cancer center to integrate professional evidence-based standards and guidelines for implanted port care into nursing practice at the point of care. ..
- Mirlashari J, Warnock F, Jahanbani J. The experiences of undergraduate nursing students and self-reflective accounts of first clinical rotation in pediatric oncology. Nurse Educ Pract. 2017;25:22-28 pubmed publisher..The findings also confirmed the importance and benefit of reflective journaling to student integrated learning and adjustment in nursing practice. ..
- Vorderstrasse A, Hammer M, Dungan J. Nursing implications of personalized and precision medicine. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2014;30:130-6 pubmed publisher..Nursing education and continuing education, clinical decision support, and health systems changes will be necessary to provide personalized multidisciplinary care to patients, in which nurses play a key role. ..
- Carney P. Information technology and precision medicine. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2014;30:124-9 pubmed publisher..Nurses, as key stakeholders, must have an understanding of CDS interventions and their application to fully participate in all stages of CDS development and implementation. ..
- Sadruddin S, Jan R, Jabbar A, Nanji K, Tharani Name A. Patient education and mind diversion in supportive care. Br J Nurs. 2017;26:S14-S19 pubmed publisher..Improving cancer patients' health and wellbeing should be encouraged in oncology nursing practice and by teaching students the knowledge and skills needed to provide supportive care.
- Upton J, Olsson Brown A, Marshall E, Sacco J. Using QR codes to enable quick access to information in acute cancer care. Br J Nurs. 2017;26:S4-S12 pubmed publisher..Patient-held alert cards are widely used for patients receiving anti-cancer treatment, and this established standard of care has been modified to enable rapid access of information through the incorporation of a QR code. ..
- Becze E. To retain oncology nurses, offer grief resolution. ONS Connect. 2012;27:16-7 pubmed
- Ling J, McCabe K, Brent S, Crosland A, Brierley Jones L. Exploring the Role of Key Workers in Cancer Care: Patient and Staff Perspectives. Clin Nurse Spec. 2017;31:252-260 pubmed publisher..Successful implementation could be better achieved through improved communication with both nursing staff and allied health professions. Where possible, cancer patients should be assigned a dedicated key worker at initial diagnosis. ..