Summary: Facilities designed to serve patients who require surgical treatment exceeding the capabilities of usual physician's office yet not of such proportion as to require hospitalization.
- Tolou C, Mahieu Durringer L, Cassagne M, Hamid S, Billette de Villemeur R, Gualino V, et al. [Treatment delay in patients with first episode of retinal detachment in the studied eye in Midi-PyrÃ©nÃ©es]. J Fr Ophtalmol. 2016;39:90-7 pubmed publisher..However, no relationship was found between this time-to-surgery and the distance between the patient's home and the surgical center. ..
- Arthur K, Kelz R, Mills A, Reinke C, Robertson M, Sims C, et al. Interhospital transfer: an independent risk factor for mortality in the surgical intensive care unit. Am Surg. 2013;79:909-13 pubmed..Interhospital transfer is an independent risk factor for mortality in the SICU population; this risk is unevenly distributed through service lines. Further efforts to determine the cause of this association are warranted. ..
- Nisim A, Margulies D, Wilson M, Alban R, Dang C, Allins A, et al. A 2-minute pre-extubation protocol for ventilated intensive care unit patients. Am J Surg. 2008;196:890-4; discussion 894-5 pubmed publisher..3%). Patients who required reintubation had a longer intensive care unit stay and a longer hospital stay. TMEP is a simple and reliable method of predicting successful extubation. ..
- Moore M, Fernandes A. Cleft surgery in East timor: the first four years. ANZ J Surg. 2006;76:683-7 pubmed
- Flowers L. Tips for enforcing patient escort policies. OR Manager. 2006;22:25-7 pubmed
- Nandi B, Mungongo C, Lakhoo K. A comparison of neonatal surgical admissions between two linked surgical departments in Africa and Europe. Pediatr Surg Int. 2008;24:939-42 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the extent and spectrum of neonatal surgical pathology in this part of Africa and highlights the need for newborn surgical care in developing countries. ..
- Siddins M, Klinken E, Vocale L. Adequacy of consent documentation in a specialty surgical unit: time for community debate?. Med J Aust. 2009;191:259-62 pubmed..If not, can minimum practice standards be defined, and should any emerging recommendations be mandated? ..
- Mendoza I, Peniche A, Püschel V. [Knowledge of hypothermia in nursing professionals of surgical center]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2012;46 Spec No:123-9 pubmed..We conclude that the educational intervention was satisfactory in that new information was anchored modified and expanded the cognitive structure of study subjects. ..
- Farrell B, Tucker M. Safe, efficient, and cost-effective orthognathic surgery in the outpatient setting. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;67:2064-71 pubmed publisher..Efficient, safe, and effective outpatient orthognathic surgery will help patients benefit from this valuable service. ..
- Bisgaard T, Kehlet H, Bay Nielsen M, Iversen M, Wara P, Rosenberg J, et al. Nationwide study of early outcomes after incisional hernia repair. Br J Surg. 2009;96:1452-7 pubmed publisher..8 per cent). The mortality rate was 0.4 per cent (open, 0.2 per cent; laparoscopic, 0.7 per cent). Morbidity and mortality were not related to surgical volume. Outcomes after incisional hernia repair seem unsatisfactory. ..
- Jalali R, Zinolabedini F, Moradi M, Dibazar N. Bacterial contamination rate of eyedrops: comparison of a hospital and a private outpatient center in Kermanshah, Iran. Insight. 2004;29:12-4 pubmed..This study was done to compare the bacterial contamination rate in an educational hospital with private ophthalmic centers and attempt to identify the route of contamination and consequently, a method to resolve or reduce the problem. ..
- Alexander J. Finding a strategy for the Kevin Durant of Medicare regs. Healthc Financ Manage. 2007;61:42, 44 pubmed
- Saver C. Preventing TASS: advice from experts. OR Manager. 2007;23:25-7 pubmed
- Risberg B, Brandrup Wognsen G, Delle M, Gelin J, Lepore V, Lonn L, et al. [Thoracic and abdominal aorta aneurysms demand an experienced team work]. Lakartidningen. 2004;101:1706-8, 1710-1 pubmed..By forming a structured organisation for care of these patients a better outcome can be expected. In this article we present the approach taken in Göteborg to meet these challenges. ..
- Chabok A, Tärnberg M, Smedh K, Pahlman L, Nilsson L, Lindberg C, et al. Prevalence of fecal carriage of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in patients with acute surgical abdominal infections. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2010;45:1203-10 pubmed publisher..The aims of the current study were to determine the fecal carriage of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and antibiotic treatment in surgical patients admitted to hospital due to acute intra-abdominal infections...
- Chukuezi A, Nwosu J. Mortality pattern in the surgical wards: a five year review at Federal Medical Centre, Owerri, Nigeria. Int J Surg. 2010;8:381-3 pubmed publisher..Aggressive enlightenment and healthcare campaigns, health education, improvement of healthcare facilities and accessibility to healthcare facilities are highlighted. Structured study in the management of surgical cases is emphasized. ..
- Klett M, Frankovich R, Dervin G, Stacey D. Impact of a surgical screening clinic for patients with knee osteoarthritis: a descriptive study. Clin J Sport Med. 2012;22:274-7 pubmed publisher..Few conservative management options were tried before referral, indicating the need to enhance presurgical care for patients with knee OA. ..
- Stronczek M. Determining the appropriate oral surgery anesthesia modality, setting, and team. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2013;25:357-66, v pubmed publisher..The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) has fought long and hard to establish and maintain our ability to provide office-based anesthesia. This is our Standard of Care! ..
- Iyengar R, Ozcan Y. Performance evaluation of ambulatory surgery centres: an efficiency approach. Health Serv Manage Res. 2009;22:184-90 pubmed publisher..Results show that about 48 (24%) of ASCs are efficient with a mean efficiency score of 0.60. The results also indicate that appropriate utilization of operating rooms and labour inputs are the main determinants of ASC efficiency. ..
- Millan M, Tegido M, Biondo S, Garcia Granero E. Preoperative stoma siting and education by stomatherapists of colorectal cancer patients: a descriptive study in twelve Spanish colorectal surgical units. Colorectal Dis. 2010;12:e88-92 pubmed publisher..001) and anxiety (p < 0.001) compared to those who did not postoperatively. The study has demonstrated the importance of preoperative stomatherapy assessment. ..
- Vincent R, Barry R. OIG approves plan involving hospital investment in physician-owned ambulatory surgical center. J Med Assoc Ga. 2002;91:37, 39 pubmed
- Dexter F, Thompson E. Relative value guide basic units in operating room scheduling to ensure compliance with anesthesia group policies for surgical procedures performed at each anesthetizing location. AANA J. 2001;69:120-3 pubmed..There are several reasonable values that an anesthesia group can use for its maximum number of basic units at an anesthetizing location. ..
- Kurtz R. Dashboards can help ASC stay in the black. OR Manager. 2008;24:26-9 pubmed
- Mathias J. Spine surgery migrates to outpatient setting. OR Manager. 2007;23:25-7 pubmed
- Flowers L. Benchmark data drives QI projects. OR Manager. 2004;20:24-5, 28 pubmed
- Ellis S. Is your ASC leaving money on the table?. OR Manager. 2007;23:27, 29 pubmed
- Saver C. Tips for a successful hire in your ASC. OR Manager. 2007;23:25-6 pubmed
- Frezza E, Wachtel M. A successful model of setting up a bariatric practice. Obes Surg. 2008;18:877-81 pubmed publisher..The local environment must always be kept in mind. ..
- Becker C. ViaHealth deal under fire. Court rules against system's plan for debt relief. Mod Healthc. 2002;32:26-7 pubmed
- Sawchuk M. Meeting JCAHO's new tissue standards. OR Manager. 2005;21:19-20 pubmed
- DeJohn P. Some proposed Medicare rules worry ASCs. OR Manager. 2008;24:28-9 pubmed
- Dailey S. Facility profile. Surgery center streamlines outpatient care. Health Facil Manage. 2003;16:10-1 pubmed
- Wharton T, Sinclair N. Evidence and rationale for percutaneous coronary intervention at qualified hospitals with off-site cardiac surgical backup. J Cardiovasc Manag. 2003;14:11-6 pubmed
- Sierzega M, Kolodziejczyk P, Kulig J. Impact of anastomotic leakage on long-term survival after total gastrectomy for carcinoma of the stomach. Br J Surg. 2010;97:1035-42 pubmed publisher..47 (95 per cent c.i. 1.82 to 6.64) and 3.14 (1.51-6.53) respectively. The occurrence of anastomotic leakage was a major independent prognostic factor for long-term survival. ..
- Jarrard D, Brown M. Common ground: hospitals, physicians and outpatient centers. Trustee. 2005;58:20-2, 1 pubmed..Physician-owned ambulatory surgery centers are projected to keep growing. For at least one hospital, it's a sign to start partnering and stop competing. ..
- Fesler Birch D. Perioperative nurses' ability to think critically. Qual Manag Health Care. 2010;19:137-46 pubmed publisher..from 1 university-affiliated medical center, 1 non-university-affiliated medical center, and 3 ambulatory surgicenters. Data were collected over a 12-month period from 2008 to 2009. Convenience sample of 92 OR nurses...
- Rouvelas I, Lagergren J. The impact of volume on outcomes after oesophageal cancer surgery. ANZ J Surg. 2010;80:634-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the available literature supports the centralization of oesophagectomy for cancer to dedicated centres with a multidisciplinary approach and a good track record of valid clinical research. ..
- Otterstad J, Hjelmesaeth J, Hoffstad T. [Percutaneous coronary intervention]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2003;123:685 pubmed
- DoBias M. The CMS giveth ... and it taketh away. Specialty hospital developers celebrate end of ban. Physicians, ASCs are big losers in proposed PPS plan. Mod Healthc. 2006;36:8-9 pubmed
- Shen Y, Han C, Chen G, Hu H. [Probe into construction mode of wound care center]. Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi. 2011;27:45-8 pubmed..Our wound care center will establish better system of diagnosis and treatment to conform to the situation in our country. ..
- Cheng L, Newman L. Overnight-stay patients in a day surgery unit to overcome shortage of inpatient beds. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;43:169-72 pubmed..This process reduced the inpatient waiting list and released the main operating theatre for major oral and maxillofacial operation, particularly for cancer. ..
- Hirsemann S, Sohr D, Gastmeier K, Gastmeier P. Risk factors for surgical site infections in a free-standing outpatient setting. Am J Infect Control. 2005;33:6-10 pubmed..15-200.5). The NNIS risk index was not suitable for assessing SSI rates in this outpatient setting and for these specific procedures. ..
- Zakharova I. [Microbiological monitoring of wound secretion and urinary tracts in patients and environment objects in suppurative surgery unit of a multiprofile surgical hospital]. Antibiot Khimioter. 2007;52:24-7 pubmed
- Possari J, Gaidzinski R, Fugulin F, Lima A, Kurcgant P. [Standardization of activities in an oncology surgical center according to nursing intervention classification]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2013;47:600-6 pubmed..Identifying nursing interventions facilitates measuring the time spent in their execution, which is a fundamental variable in the quantification and qualification of nurses' workloads. ..
- Trybou J, De Regge M, Gemmel P, Duyck P, Annemans L. Effects of physician-owned specialized facilities in health care: a systematic review. Health Policy. 2014;118:316-40 pubmed publisher..In addition, their corresponding impact on full-service general hospitals remains unclear. The development of physician-owned specialized facilities should thus be monitored carefully. ..
- Romano M. Specialty hospitals. Exception to the rule. CMS' exemption of specialty hospital good news for other in-progress facilities. Mod Healthc. 2004;34:8-9 pubmed
- Kligfield P, Okin P. Prevalence and clinical implications of improper filter settings in routine electrocardiography. Am J Cardiol. 2007;99:711-3 pubmed..This problem should be resolvable by targeted educational efforts to reinforce technical standards in electrocardiography. ..
- Deas T. Assessing the financial health of the endoscopy center. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2002;12:229-44 pubmed..Following these guidelines helps to ensure a strong, productive, and long-lasting EASC. ..
- Saver C. OR staffing picture worsens, with RN vacancies, open positions up. OR Manager. 2007;23:1, 7, 9-11 pubmed
- Baillie J. Mobile theatres take centre stage. Health Estate. 2008;62:53-7 pubmed..Jonathan Baillie reports. ..
- Anello S. One nurse's experience in obtaining Joint Commission accreditation for office-based surgery centers. Plast Surg Nurs. 2004;24:48-50 pubmed..The advantages of such accreditation to the organization and the patients under its care are extensive. This article outlines why offices undergo accreditation and provides insight into how it can be achieved. ..
- Pacella S, Comstock M, Kuzon W. Certificate-of-Need regulation in outpatient surgery and specialty care: implications for plastic surgeons. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;116:1103-11; discussion 1112-3 pubmed..An appreciation of these effects is critical to maintaining specialty autonomy and access to fiscal policy. ..
- Burns R. Governors' committee on surgical practice in hospitals and ambulatory settings: an update. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2007;92:31-3 pubmed